Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kindle Kitchen Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on March 4, 2002
Frankly speaking, I am quite disappointed with this book.
When I bought this book, I had the impression that it is about the protection of intellectual capital. Also, I was attracted to the book because of an introduction by Robert Kiyosaki, whose work I am very familiar.
Although the book gives a broad brush about intellectual property (IP) protection from many different perspectives, and offers some useful guidelines to help protect your intellectual interests, it is somewhat incomplete as far as the protection of ideas or intellectual capital is concerned.
It does not give any specific illustration and/or example on how to protect your intellectual capital from the standpoint of goodwill, reputation, expertise, (especially accumulated practical skills), data and know-how...more specifically, your ideas and/or "working methodologies" which are embodied in products and services.
Take an example from the book, on page 58, under Utility Patent Protection, the author talked about:
"Business method is patentable if:
- it produces a useful, concrete, and tangible result; and
- it is novel and not obvious;
but the book stops short of giving specific business cases or product examples to illustrate this key point. This is, to me, intellectual capital, and I want to know how to protect it!
As a matter of fact, the author talked about how he came to know Robert Kiyosaki...from the CashFlow game. Funny enough, the author did not even bother to give any detailed account on the IP protection scheme pertaining to the game. Nothing at all, period. I thought this would have been a very appropriate subject, because of the need for the protection of intellectual capital behind the development of the game - and the gameplay procedure - from pirates.
The book listed a lot of other IP stuff, which were not covered in the book, but the author directed the reader to his website. For example, the author introduced his IP self-audit checklist, among other things, which sounds interesting. When I checked his website, I realised I had to fork out US$129/- to buy a CD-ROM containing the stuff.
My overall personal impression of the book is that both Michael Lechter and Robert Kiyosaki are using each other to sell each other's products and services! (which are well-illustrated on many end pages of the book!) The poor reader is expected to fork out more effort and money...maybe that's why the Rich Dad series of products are so lucrative for the author.
On the whole, this book falls short of my personal expectations. I am very disappointed with the author and also, Robert Kiyosaki.
To be fair to the author, I feel that the book, even though it is incomplete from my personal viewpoint, still provides a broad-brush about IP, - especially on copyrights, patents,and trademarks, - from many different perspectives.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2002
This book has a great deal of useful information on protecting your ideas and a lot of intellectual property legal mumbo jumbo, but it provides ZERO ideas or insights on selling your ideas-which is the hardest part. Every Jane Doe and Joe Schmoe has great ideas that could potentially make them millions in licensing fees and royalties, but actually taking a great idea and turning it into cash in the bank-unless you are a wizard at raising capital-is nigh on impossible.
Unfortunately this book is no help whatsoever. A fairly good legal reference on intellectual property law, nothing more.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse