5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon[.com]'s Reviewer Needs to get a Clue
Published on Aug. 24 2002 by SnowCrash7

3.0 out of 5 stars you want to lose fat not just weight, right?
You will definitly lose fat (you know the bad stuff not the good stuff), and you will do it in a way that is so easy and without any hunger pains, also it's safer than the Atkins diet. I now look great and feel even better.
Published on May 20 2002 by George Kelso Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon[.com]'s Reviewer Needs to get a Clue, Aug. 24 2002
SnowCrash7 (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
I'm an ex Army Master Fitness Instructor that has trained literally hundreds of young adults and helped them to lose weight, get in shape and recover from injuries, ... The carbohydrate heavy food pyramid has been discredited by many if not most of even the most conservative health practitioners. It is even about to be yanked and revised by dramatically lowering the suggested carbohydrate intake. Study after study has revealed how easilly carbs are converted into sugars and stored as fat. More studies have also demonstrated that those folks who restrict fat intake lower there cholesterol all right....even the good cholesterol (HDL) and restricted fat diets can even cause an increase in triglyceride levels. This is probably the best book on the market right now for those who want to lose fat effectively and safely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebuttal to Molly on Jan 14, 2000, March 10 2000
Molly -- There are literally hundreds of reviews of the Protein Power books from people who tried it and are amazed at the results. The health benefits have been confirmed by their doctors. As a nurse, don't you think you should give it a fair try and see the medical results for yourself before you condemn it? It seems that your attitude is shared by much of the medical community -- knock it before you investigate and throw it out because it isn't in line with the popular belief. Check your medical textbooks for the principles Drs. Eades espouse. They are right there in black and white and have been for many years. I lost almost 50 pounds and an amazing number of inches in just a few months on the original Protein Power diet. And within weeks I could walk uphill without breathing hard. People were surprised at the new roses in my cheeks; long shiny hair with no split ends -- the evident signs of good health.
You owe it too yourself to try it Molly -- have a friend explain it to you if you can't understand the book yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars you want to lose fat not just weight, right?, May 20 2002
George Kelso Jr. (huntington beach, ca USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
Actually all the important stuff could have taken up less than two pages, but that certainly wouldn't sell a book and the publisher wouldn't be happy with a two page book. Most of the book is facts used to convince use this is the right diet. I'm here to convince you, this is the right book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 21 2014
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
The Book has a lot of valuable information on how to change you eating habits for a much healthier lifestyle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drs. Eades 4 stars, Amazon Reviewer 0 stars, April 2 2000
Suburban Bumpkin (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
It's a pity we can't vote on the helpfulness of an Amazon reviewer (A.R.). It should be noted that the Eades are much less dogmatic than A.R. about their ideas, and much less likely to resort to sarcasm when someone disagrees with them. Somehow, I suspect they're also better qualified to judge the scientific validity of their ideas. How many years has A.R. been practicing medicine?
Unlike A.R., the authors don't pretend to be all-knowing. In fact, they freely acknowledge that they have changed their minds about some things in their previous book, and they are careful to state that their advice is based on what they consider to be the best *current* evidence.
The previous book, Protien Power, was much more oriented to weight-loss, while this new book focuses more on overall wellness. I have read both and benefited from both.
The subject matter is sometimes rather technical, but their presentation is admirable. I suspect most readers will do fine if they're willing to give it a little thought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat better, don't feel hungry and still lose weight!!, March 25 2003
By A Customer
I hadn't tried a diet in many years and have steadily put on pounds. Most diets don't work as we all know. You may lose a few pounds at first, but then you can't seem to lose any more. They mess up your metabolism and cause your body to go into starvation mode. Which means it hangs onto the fat as if your life depended on it. After seeing the great results many I know have had with the protein diet craze I decided to try it myself. Even though I have only lost a few pounds so far I know this should work. The biggest flaw with most diets is that you have to limit your calorie intake so much you are hungry all the time. Also, your body is used to taking in so many more calories that it goes into starvation mode. Then it takes forever to lose the weight. I know that if I stick with it (and I think I will)this should work because you don't have to feel hungry on it. I am a little leary of Atkins plan though. A friend told me about his plan of starting at only 20 carbs a day before I had read this book. Me and my husband both felt sick within the first couple days. It is extreme. I like the Eades approach of 7-10 effective carbs per meal. I think it is a much healthier way to go. We switched to this method and now we feel fine after having done it for a week. As for protein diets being unhealthy, I think it is completely in how you do it. I have heard people say you can eat all this bacon, hamburger (without the bun, of course) and so on. I think that is asking for trouble if that is all you eat on this diet. We all know there are healthier choices of protein: skinless chicken breast, turkey, lean pork, and of course fish and other seafood. That doesn't mean you can't indulge occassionally. Since we have been on this diet we have actually been eating more vegetables than ever, no ice cream, and no fast food. How could that be unhealthy? If you read it you will discover which vegetables you can have more of without going in excess of the carb allotment. Spinach, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, and cauliflower are some of the best ones. You can also have more mushrooms (which is great for me.) As far as berries go there are many that are low in carbs that you can have some of when you have a sweet tooth. You get to subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbs per serving so you can have more of those that are lower in carbs.
I have also seen the new food pyramid, which someone else mentioned. While it doesn't completely agree with this plan it does show some of the high carb foods that should be eaten very sparingly: white rices, pasta, potatoes, white bread, and sweets. That part is in complete agreement with this plan. Although I know that many are criticizing these protein diets as unhealthy. I felt that way too before I started on it. Being very overweight is unhealthy and it perpetuates itself. You are tired so you don't do as much as you could, which leads to gaining more weight. Or, you are depressed because you are overweight so you figure, why not eat what I want anyway? If you follow this plan I feel certain you can lose weight, lower your blood pressure, and have more energy. If that is a problem, which it is for many that are overweight. Atkins diet I'm sure you could also lose weight on and maybe faster at first since it is so strict. I don't think I could have stuck with that. This way I feel that I will be more likely to stick with, lose weight, and be healthier. Since you can eat more vegetables on it. The middle part of the plan and the maintenace even allow for more carbs, so when you lose your weight you will be rewarded in being able to allow even more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Looking forward to it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Between extreme Atkins and moderate Zone diets, Jan. 22 2003
Richard C. Jensen (San Diego, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
This book is relatively extreme in the amount of protein and fat recommended. The two diabolically opposed gurus are Dr. Atkins, with a recommendation of almost 90% of calories coming from fat and protein, and Dr. Ornish, who recommends only 10% of calories via fat and protein. Drs Eades recommend a diet much closer to the Atkins diet. They recommend eating as much protein as you can, and don't worry about fat. This is good advice for obese patients looking to lose over 50 pounds, but may not be a great maintenance diet. A better long-term diet would be more like the one Dr. Sears recommends in his "Zone" books, which is 40% carbs and 60% fat and protein. In fact, my balance is about 50/50 and I'm about where I want to be. Just remember to include a good amount of protein in every meal, and avoid large carb-ridden snacks, and you'll lose weight. As far as Ornish's diet is concerned, well, SOME people have an excellent insulin metabolism system and can handle 90% carbs, but most of us CANNOT. 90% carbs is ridiculous, and is the main reason for American illnesses such as Diabetes, Hypertension, and Heart Disease, and in my opinion, even Cancer. The theoretical and statistical basis for these claims can be found in the book entitled The Failures of American Medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eades do it again!, Jan. 21 2003
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
This is without a doubt the best diet I have ever tried...and the most medically/scientifically sound. I do wish they would stop dumbing down the process for determining protein intake, etc. For that reason I prefer the first book for accuracy's sake, but this one is LOADED with updated information that makes it a good companion to the first.
I had tried Ornish's plan in the past and my LDL levels were off the map as a result. I switched to PP and the return to health has been nothing short of miraculous in the eyes of my numerous doctors (one of whom is currently on this plan himself after watching my improvements!) I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. Ornish made the PCOS problems worse and did not help me in any way at keeping blood lipids in a reasonable range. The Eades's diet is amazing--it has totally made it possible for me to lose weight and conceive a child. I don't have enough stars to rate this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give a good review, Jan. 15 2003
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
If I had received the book from the third party seller as promised I may be able to give a better review; however, Allnewbooks have yet to send a copy after more than one month. They recieved payment in less than one day, debited my account no problem, but seem to be less than willing to libe up to their end of agreements. Do yourself a large favor and order all products from someone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-HAVE FOR ALL FAT PEOPLE!!, June 11 2002
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
The diet plan in this book is safe, pretty easy, healthy, and VERY effective. You'll lose weight and feel great. The other health tips are very helpful, too. This book will change your life around for the better, and everybody should own it.
The reading is pretty easy, but if you're stupid, then you shouldn't buy it, as you'll have trouble understanding it.

The Protein Power Lifeplan
The Protein Power Lifeplan by Mary Dan Eades (Paperback - June 1 2001)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00