5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon[.com]'s Reviewer Needs to get a Clue
Published on Aug. 24 2002 by SnowCrash7

3.0 out of 5 stars you want to lose fat not just weight, right?
You will definitly lose fat (you know the bad stuff not the good stuff), and you will do it in a way that is so easy and without any hunger pains, also it's safer than the Atkins diet. I now look great and feel even better.
Published on May 20 2002 by George Kelso Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon[.com]'s Reviewer Needs to get a Clue, Aug. 24 2002
SnowCrash7 (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
I'm an ex Army Master Fitness Instructor that has trained literally hundreds of young adults and helped them to lose weight, get in shape and recover from injuries, ... The carbohydrate heavy food pyramid has been discredited by many if not most of even the most conservative health practitioners. It is even about to be yanked and revised by dramatically lowering the suggested carbohydrate intake. Study after study has revealed how easilly carbs are converted into sugars and stored as fat. More studies have also demonstrated that those folks who restrict fat intake lower there cholesterol all right....even the good cholesterol (HDL) and restricted fat diets can even cause an increase in triglyceride levels. This is probably the best book on the market right now for those who want to lose fat effectively and safely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebuttal to Molly on Jan 14, 2000, March 10 2000
Molly -- There are literally hundreds of reviews of the Protein Power books from people who tried it and are amazed at the results. The health benefits have been confirmed by their doctors. As a nurse, don't you think you should give it a fair try and see the medical results for yourself before you condemn it? It seems that your attitude is shared by much of the medical community -- knock it before you investigate and throw it out because it isn't in line with the popular belief. Check your medical textbooks for the principles Drs. Eades espouse. They are right there in black and white and have been for many years. I lost almost 50 pounds and an amazing number of inches in just a few months on the original Protein Power diet. And within weeks I could walk uphill without breathing hard. People were surprised at the new roses in my cheeks; long shiny hair with no split ends -- the evident signs of good health.
You owe it too yourself to try it Molly -- have a friend explain it to you if you can't understand the book yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drs. Eades 4 stars, Amazon Reviewer 0 stars, April 2 2000
Suburban Bumpkin (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
It's a pity we can't vote on the helpfulness of an Amazon reviewer (A.R.). It should be noted that the Eades are much less dogmatic than A.R. about their ideas, and much less likely to resort to sarcasm when someone disagrees with them. Somehow, I suspect they're also better qualified to judge the scientific validity of their ideas. How many years has A.R. been practicing medicine?
Unlike A.R., the authors don't pretend to be all-knowing. In fact, they freely acknowledge that they have changed their minds about some things in their previous book, and they are careful to state that their advice is based on what they consider to be the best *current* evidence.
The previous book, Protien Power, was much more oriented to weight-loss, while this new book focuses more on overall wellness. I have read both and benefited from both.
The subject matter is sometimes rather technical, but their presentation is admirable. I suspect most readers will do fine if they're willing to give it a little thought.

3.0 out of 5 stars you want to lose fat not just weight, right?, May 20 2002
George Kelso Jr. (huntington beach, ca USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
Actually all the important stuff could have taken up less than two pages, but that certainly wouldn't sell a book and the publisher wouldn't be happy with a two page book. Most of the book is facts used to convince use this is the right diet. I'm here to convince you, this is the right book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat better, don't feel hungry and still lose weight!!, March 25 2003
By A Customer
I hadn't tried a diet in many years and have steadily put on pounds. Most diets don't work as we all know. You may lose a few pounds at first, but then you can't seem to lose any more. They mess up your metabolism and cause your body to go into starvation mode. Which means it hangs onto the fat as if your life depended on it. After seeing the great results many I know have had with the protein diet craze I decided to try it myself. Even though I have only lost a few pounds so far I know this should work. The biggest flaw with most diets is that you have to limit your calorie intake so much you are hungry all the time. Also, your body is used to taking in so many more calories that it goes into starvation mode. Then it takes forever to lose the weight. I know that if I stick with it (and I think I will)this should work because you don't have to feel hungry on it. I am a little leary of Atkins plan though. A friend told me about his plan of starting at only 20 carbs a day before I had read this book. Me and my husband both felt sick within the first couple days. It is extreme. I like the Eades approach of 7-10 effective carbs per meal. I think it is a much healthier way to go. We switched to this method and now we feel fine after having done it for a week. As for protein diets being unhealthy, I think it is completely in how you do it. I have heard people say you can eat all this bacon, hamburger (without the bun, of course) and so on. I think that is asking for trouble if that is all you eat on this diet. We all know there are healthier choices of protein: skinless chicken breast, turkey, lean pork, and of course fish and other seafood. That doesn't mean you can't indulge occassionally. Since we have been on this diet we have actually been eating more vegetables than ever, no ice cream, and no fast food. How could that be unhealthy? If you read it you will discover which vegetables you can have more of without going in excess of the carb allotment. Spinach, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, and cauliflower are some of the best ones. You can also have more mushrooms (which is great for me.) As far as berries go there are many that are low in carbs that you can have some of when you have a sweet tooth. You get to subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbs per serving so you can have more of those that are lower in carbs.
I have also seen the new food pyramid, which someone else mentioned. While it doesn't completely agree with this plan it does show some of the high carb foods that should be eaten very sparingly: white rices, pasta, potatoes, white bread, and sweets. That part is in complete agreement with this plan. Although I know that many are criticizing these protein diets as unhealthy. I felt that way too before I started on it. Being very overweight is unhealthy and it perpetuates itself. You are tired so you don't do as much as you could, which leads to gaining more weight. Or, you are depressed because you are overweight so you figure, why not eat what I want anyway? If you follow this plan I feel certain you can lose weight, lower your blood pressure, and have more energy. If that is a problem, which it is for many that are overweight. Atkins diet I'm sure you could also lose weight on and maybe faster at first since it is so strict. I don't think I could have stuck with that. This way I feel that I will be more likely to stick with, lose weight, and be healthier. Since you can eat more vegetables on it. The middle part of the plan and the maintenace even allow for more carbs, so when you lose your weight you will be rewarded in being able to allow even more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Looking forward to it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Between extreme Atkins and moderate Zone diets, Jan. 22 2003
Richard C. Jensen (San Diego, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
This book is relatively extreme in the amount of protein and fat recommended. The two diabolically opposed gurus are Dr. Atkins, with a recommendation of almost 90% of calories coming from fat and protein, and Dr. Ornish, who recommends only 10% of calories via fat and protein. Drs Eades recommend a diet much closer to the Atkins diet. They recommend eating as much protein as you can, and don't worry about fat. This is good advice for obese patients looking to lose over 50 pounds, but may not be a great maintenance diet. A better long-term diet would be more like the one Dr. Sears recommends in his "Zone" books, which is 40% carbs and 60% fat and protein. In fact, my balance is about 50/50 and I'm about where I want to be. Just remember to include a good amount of protein in every meal, and avoid large carb-ridden snacks, and you'll lose weight. As far as Ornish's diet is concerned, well, SOME people have an excellent insulin metabolism system and can handle 90% carbs, but most of us CANNOT. 90% carbs is ridiculous, and is the main reason for American illnesses such as Diabetes, Hypertension, and Heart Disease, and in my opinion, even Cancer. The theoretical and statistical basis for these claims can be found in the book entitled The Failures of American Medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's go back to bleeding, March 7 2002
Jerry Smith (Mansfield, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
Just read this book as background infomation for my low carbohydrate eating plan that I've lost 31 pounds on so far. The Editorial reviews crack me up. These doctors and nutritionists who "shudder" at hearing that carbs aren't needed in human nutrition are relics of the past like the doctors who drained blood from sick people, for whatever stretch of logic, a hundred an fifty years ago. The line about sun bathing with out sun blocker, if you can imagine such a thing, in the review is particularly funny! In the spring when it got nice outside so we kids wanted to be out more, my Grandmother used to say, "careful you don't get sun burned." The Eades tell you how to adjust sun exposure, just like Gramma did, so that you don't have to use some product that someone dreamed up a few years ago that has who knows what in it that is pushed by some company just to get your money.
This is an excellent book for learning about how the body uses food for all of life's needs and for learning the lifestyle that allows you to lose and keep off the weight that you can't lose by eating a low fat or low calorie diet. It's the carbs that make you fat and sick. Deal with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Health Book On the Market, Jan. 15 2002
This review is from: The Protein Power Lifeplan (Paperback)
As a nutritionally oriented sports surgeon and antiaging specialist, I was quite interested in reading "The Protein Power Life Plan" (PPLP) , Drs. Michael and Mary Eades follow-up to their excellent first book "Protein Power". The cover states that PPLP is "A New Comprehensive Blueprint for Optimal Health" which seems a bit of a tall order from some diet docs!
Like several other current books, the Eades base their "Paleolithic Diet" on the concept that our ancestors were omnivores (ate both meat and vegetables) and skilled hunters. "We have evidence tracking back 3 million years for meat eating by our ancestors and at least a five-hundred-thousand year history of skillful hunting." The introductory chapter "Man the Hunter" is, in my opinion, the best work to date in the popular press to explain to us the history of how our paleolithic ancestors ate. In fact, THIS CHAPTER IS WORTH THE PRICE OF THE BOOK. "While we can subsist on grain-based diets, we don't as a species thrive on them..."
The book then follows with successive chapters on insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, fat metabolism (understanding the difference between good fats, neutral fats, and bad fats), cholesterol, antioxidants, leaky gut, iron excess, the importance of sunshine to health, 'calisthenics for the brain", exercise and their diet.
This book is VERY WELL written and contains a WEALTH of up to date scientific information (more then many doctors know). In my opinion it is the best general health book currently on the market, and, for people who are at their appropriate weight, would be #1 on my recommended reading list.
But this book is not just about scientific stuff- it is filled with practical good ideas and recipes that are easy to incorporate into your every day life. I still use their method of preparing "Perfect Eggs in Minutes" almost every day! And their Paleolithic Punch...mmm good (and healthy too)! They have an excellent low carb resource section at the back of the book (most important- where to buy low carb tortillas!).
Unfortunately, most people who read these books are not at their appropriate weight, they are trying to lose weight. Like Dr. Atkins, the Eades have broken their diet into 3 "Phases"- Intervention (when you are starting to diet), Transition (for ongoing weight loss on the diet) and Maintenance. While I find this information very valuable, and a great resource for those "into" diet and nutrition, it is just too much for most people who are just trying to lose a few pounds. You could validly argue that without learning this information it is difficult for someone to keep their weight off. Most patients who I have told to read this book to lose weight loved the book...but never lost any weight..
For those at their appropriate weight (maintenance), Drs. Eades break their nutritional rules into 3 sets depending on your commitment to good health:
- The Hedonist ("This plan incorporates only those changes that will bestow the greatest rewards with the least effort and the fewest nutritional adjustments");
-The Dilettante ("This is a middle-of-the-road plan for those who wish to achieve certain additional health benefits without sacrificing all the pleasures of the Hedonist regimen"); and
-The Purist ("This is the strictest regimen, one that closely mimics the diet our ancient ancestors thrived on and therefore bestows the maximum health and fitness rewards").
This "division" is a great help for people to recognize the relative importance of one recommendation to another.
This is one GREAT book. I have purchased over 20 HARD BOUND copies to give as gifts to family and people I love. If you care about your health GET THIS BOOK

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: not light reading, Sept. 4 2001
By A Customer
One thing I have noticed from my browsing of similar books at bookstores is that practically all the diet books say the same thing: cut the sugar way back, get more Essential Fatty Acids (omega-3 and omega-6), get enough protein, etc. Where they differ is in how they are marketed and who the target audience is. "The Okinawan Diet" is targetted at Japanophiles and Copycats; "Eat Right 4 Your Type" is targetted at people who're suspicious of one-size-fits-all programs; Suzanne Somers is directed at people who don't do anything unless a celebrity tells them to; Atkins and The Zone zero in on P.T. Barnum's target audience. But the underlying message is the same.
Where this book differs is that compared to most books in its genre, PPL has tremendous amounts of information, and does not talk down to you, being written at 12th grade level or above. If you want to understand HOW these diets work, and you want to live mindfully, this book is for you; if you just want to lose weight, try "Protein Power" instead. Judging by the Amazon sales rank, mindful living is not what most people want - they want recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-grounded arguement for low-carb, plus much more., Dec 9 2000
L. Wallach (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
Dr. Michael Eades and Mary Dan Eades, M.D.'s have written a follow-up to their popular "Protein Power" published in 1995. The Eades are a husband-and-wife team that has a joint practice where they dish out the same advice as in their books - that of a restricted carbohydrate diet. But unlike the much more popular Dr. Atkins Diet, the Eades concentrate much more on gaining the best nutritional bang for your buck. Like their first book it is well organized with helpful summaries of each chapter, but it also delves into different subjects like exercise, meditation and even sunbathing.
"Protein Power Lifeplan" is not simply a diet book, but more of a nutritional and health philosophy. The Eades underline their main low-carbohydrate philosophy throughout the book, which, for the uneducated goes something like this: it is not fat that makes us fat, gives us diseases like diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. Rather it is sugar. Starches, since they are basically the same thing as sugar (just chained together and easily broken into their component sugars in the digestive process), are counted as well. The Eades describe how the body produces the hormone insulin when carbs are ingested. The more carbs we have in our diet, the more insulin is produced. Insulin is used by the body to remove sugar from the bloodstream, where it can cause harm. Unfortunately, the insulin that removes it can also cause harm in excessive amounts. In addition, when exposed to these large amounts of insulin, the body slowly becomes more and more resistant to the hormone and the body has to produce more of it to have the same effect, so it is a vicious cycle. The end of this cycle results when the body is so resistant that it simply can't produce enough and adult onset diabetes occurs.
The other main theme sounded throughout the book is the whole idea that humans are not made for consuming the amount of carbs that we do today. The Eades make a good argument, which has been made by others, that agriculture is only a ten-thousand-year-old innovation, and that before this our ancestors were all hunter-gatherers, consuming primarily animals with perhaps a few wild vegetables nuts, seeds, and berries thrown in. Due to the slow pace of evolution and natural selection, they argue, our bodies have not caught up to the last ten thousand years of vastly increased carbohydrates in our diets from the farming of grains. They point out that anthropological finds bear out that those who lived before the advent of agriculture display strong bones, tall statures, perfect teeth and jaws, and no evidence of the diseases of modern man. On the contrary, even the inhabitants of ancient Egypt five thousand or so years ago, who lived on a mainly vegetarian, grain-based diet, show (or their mummies do, I should say), evidence of diabetes, heart disease, gum disease, crumbling bones, and many other maladies.
As far as the diet itself, the Eades have honed it somewhat. They now suggest three different approaches to the diet, so called "hedonist," "dilettante," and "purist." The main differences are in how strict the diets are to the Paleolithic Ideal, so to speak. So purists would not eat any dairy products or grains, and only range-reared meat or wild game, since the alternatives would not have been available to their ancient ancestors. The diet starts out at an "intervention stage" which allots seven to ten grams of carbs per meal. Once the person is no longer experiencing health problems, or has gotten close to their goal weight/body fat percentage, they would go on the transition plan, which increases carbs by about 50%. Finally, after you've gotten to exactly the place you want body-wise and health-wise and don't need added improvement, you go onto the "maintenance" level, which doubles, give or take, the transition level of carbs.
Despite certain vocal dissenters like Dr. Dean Ornish, the AMA, and ADA, there are an increasing number of medical doctors and nutritionists who are starting to appreciate the validitiy of the low-carb philosophy. I was shocked to learn that the whole idea behind fat causing all these health problems in the first place is just that - an IDEA. It is a hypothesis that the whole medical industry latched onto 25 or 30 years ago, because it made some logical sense at the time, and has only recently started to let go on the edges despite there being absolutely no proof that low fat diets are conducive to health, and many that indicate the exact opposite! There are many cliché criticisms that get foisted on low-carb diets and the Eades tackle many of them, including the "vampire myths" ( myths that won't die) that these diets cause kidney problems in otherwise healthy individuals, or that the Chinese (who eat a primarily rice-based diet) do not suffer from much heart disease, etc. Yet these myths are constantly invoked by those who have convinced themselves that their philosophy is right and this one is wrong. Unfortunately, these individuals never research whether studies bear their claims out, nor are most even willing to read the full argument of the "other side". I have an idea as to why this may be the case. One of the first adherents of low-carb diets in recent times has been Dr. Robert Atkins, and his attitude is so combative (unlike the Eades who are so open-minded as to even admit to being wrong about some things they said in their previous book), that it encourages those who oppose him to be equally as combative and close-minded. Do yourself a favor and read something with a refreshingly even-handed tone. Whether you agree with their overall philosophies or not, there is a lot of helpful information on vitamins and minerals and other topics which do not require you to change your diet, despite my own opinion that it would be in your best interest to do so.

The Protein Power Lifeplan
The Protein Power Lifeplan by Mary Dan Eades (Paperback - June 1 2001)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00