Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on March 24, 1998
PD James is getting very wordy, verbose and boring. I had to stop reading this book after she used the word "LUGUBRIOUS" three (yes! 3!) times in the first 80 or so pages. This was such an overkill, most people wont use "lugubrious" in their lifetimes. I gave up on this book and waited for the PBS mystery, which was worth the wait. Although I like many of her earlier mysteries and she really is a good writer, this book is not one of her best. Im beginning to think she gets paid by the word, (didnt that sort of go out with Dickens??) In any case, she once gave an interview on PBS stating that she didnt care much for the Agatha Christie type mysteries with a "body in a locked room" but thats exactly what she gives us here. The body, the locked room (publishing office) so she really isnt too far removed from Ms Christie's plots. She should apologize. Her new book "A Certain Justice" is much better written, even though she manages to describe a certain color as "greeny-blue" twice (yes twice) in different parts of the book. Maybe she is just running out of adjectives??
on March 9, 2002
After having read 30 pages of "Original Sin" I felt a strong desire to stop. I had read "Death in Holy Orders" before (from beginning to end). However, the derogatory remarks made by the author about my favourite queen of crime, Agatha Christie, caused me to be sceptical. There is a Latin saying: "De mortuis nihil nisi bene". Mrs James ought to go by that saying.
While "Holy orders" are more or less OK (during the lecture, negative experiences tend to be just barely compensated by positive ones), "Original Sin" is definitely below the limit.
So, conclusion: Agatha is (much) better!
on August 23, 1998
I've read all of P.D. James's mysteries and Original Sin is by far her weakest effort. It's slow and unimaginative compared to her previous works. The characters and the mystery itself aren't compelling and the only reason I kept reading was because I was sure Ms. James wouldn't do this to her readers. But she did! I hope new readers don't pick this up and think it's indicative of her work. If it's your first James, try "An Unsuitable Job For a Woman," a far superior work.