Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 29, 2014
The byline says it all... This book compiles the memoirs and tales of a girl born in the mid-1960s who tried her best to grow up groovy in NYC but seemed to achieve clueless instead.... I really enjoyed the whole book but I found the memories of her grade school and teenage years the most fun. The author does a fine job at describing the era and culture of the various stages of her life, spurring me to take a very vivid trip back down memory lane. The heroine's cluelessness is quite endearing and her rebellious sassy personality is a hoot. I wonder how much embellishment the author put on the tales that she recalls?! This is a light, fun read. I give it 4 out 5 stars (very good).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on January 3, 2010
Susan Gilman delves deep into her past and shares stories of her confused childhood (1960s & 70s) as a secularly-raised Jewish child in a rough, multi-ethnic New York neighbourhood.

This jumped out at me from a crowded library shelf. Started reading it standing in the stacks; realized after 15 minutes I'd better sign it out. Read it to the end that night, wished that I'd looked for her other book too!

From the cover & reviews you might dismiss it as "chick-lit". Wrong, wrong, wrong. Over-the-top edgy, profound, (often profane), poignant, gut-wrenching - all these decribe this memoir - but most of all extremely, darkly funny. 5 shiny stars, for sure.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again