Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 29, 2014
The byline says it all... This book compiles the memoirs and tales of a girl born in the mid-1960s who tried her best to grow up groovy in NYC but seemed to achieve clueless instead.... I really enjoyed the whole book but I found the memories of her grade school and teenage years the most fun. The author does a fine job at describing the era and culture of the various stages of her life, spurring me to take a very vivid trip back down memory lane. The heroine's cluelessness is quite endearing and her rebellious sassy personality is a hoot. I wonder how much embellishment the author put on the tales that she recalls?! This is a light, fun read. I give it 4 out 5 stars (very good).
on January 3, 2010
Susan Gilman delves deep into her past and shares stories of her confused childhood (1960s & 70s) as a secularly-raised Jewish child in a rough, multi-ethnic New York neighbourhood.

This jumped out at me from a crowded library shelf. Started reading it standing in the stacks; realized after 15 minutes I'd better sign it out. Read it to the end that night, wished that I'd looked for her other book too!

From the cover & reviews you might dismiss it as "chick-lit". Wrong, wrong, wrong. Over-the-top edgy, profound, (often profane), poignant, gut-wrenching - all these decribe this memoir - but most of all extremely, darkly funny. 5 shiny stars, for sure.
on September 26, 2015