5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mist
This book has been all that I hoped for and more. The book, in a nutshell, basically says that to get ahead in life, in career, in everything, women need to stop acting like little girls.
Published on March 17 2004 by Wendy G. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Come On
Published on May 12 2004 by MovedbyMusic

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mist, March 17 2004
Wendy G. Anderson "editormum" (Memphis, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Replete with examples from Ms. Frankel's consulting clients, this book gives practical, no-holds-barred evaluations of such behaviours as feeding people at the office, working too hard, asking questions instead of making statements, and "asking permission." That last was a revelation to me.
As Ms. Frankel points out, we are all raised in a society that says you should get proper approvals before taking a step---any step. But men learn when to ask and when to just go ahead. Men learn how to apply the rubric "It's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission." Ms. Frankel pointes out that children, not adults, ask for permission to do perfectly rational things. I had never considered how detrimental to my career the habit of asking permission had been. But I decided to give Ms. Frankel's suggestions a try. I went to my boss and said, "I cannot come in on Friday." My boss looked nonplussed. I was petrified, but proud. I had done it. I had Made A Statement instead of Seeking Approval. And he didn't demur. He said, "Okay," and we went on with the day.
If you are feeling frustrated by the glass ceiling, if you feel stuck and can't figure out why you can't get further in your career ambitions (and if you're a female), this book is definitely worth the investment. It opened my eyes to things I did that I never even thought about, things that presented an image of an incompetent child---not a competent, composed, and capable woman. My image is now improving, and yours can too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A male who agrees!, April 20 2004
By A Customer
My wife brought this book home and I took a peek. Yes, this author hits the nail on the head. Women in the workplace too often look for approval from others and when they don't do something right, apologize too quickly. Guys are naturally competitive and don't expect apologies. We're into using strengths and opportunities to the max as we move forward. If you are looking to others for approval, this book is for you. For the mental software to be your best and how to make the most of any personal or work situation, read Optimal Thinking: How To Be Your Best Self. When you use Optimal Thinking, you optimize yourself, others and your results regardless of your gender or your circumstances.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Title Says It All. Read and Learn..., May 28 2009
Mrs. Emma L. Elsey "Emma-Louise Elsey" (Salt Spring Island, BC) - See all my reviews
Who it's for: If you've ever slaved away like a little ant hoping to get noticed, while Dave seems to spend half his day chatting to the boss - and still gets all the good assignments, then this book is for you.

There are 7 sections covering everything from politics to personal branding to how we communicate. Read it cover to cover or simply pick it up, review one of the 101 `mistakes' discussed and ponder.

And while I disagree with some of the suggestions, I could not agree more with the core message - that success comes not from acting like a man, but by acting like a woman instead of a girl.

Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Come On, May 12 2004
No excuses. I read this book and it has a few obvious choices for altering behaviors male or female, but I despise books like this because the premise is failure before you even begin! This book is only for you if you're think you're "behind" somehow. You're not and if you think you're not others will see that confidence. Do you think women who succeed in business begin with the premise they're NOT going to get a corner office? Are women "flawed" to begin with? No. I wholeheartedly disagree with this author. Embrace what makes people different.
If you're not doing well in business of course you re-evaluate how you're handling your career and professional demeanor. If your career is all important to you then by all means do whatever you have to do to reach your goals, male or female.
Here's the real white elephant in the room. Women have babies. Moms will always be torn during their reproductive years between advancement in business and raising a family and those same years are typically the most productive years for a career. You can still be yourself and have it all, just not all at the same time. Make time for children and husbands and friends. They're worth the time too. If you let your business relationiships be just business relationshihps the level of respect you have for yourself will advance you further than just no longer "apologizing too much" or no longer being "naive" whatever that means.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for "Girls!", Feb. 23 2004
By A Customer
The only complaint I have about this book is the title. This is a great eye-opener for anyone who is stuck or wants to get further. Dr. Frankel's advice was so right on for me. I've always felt politics was a dirty word and thought just working hard was enough. Silly me! I promise, this isn't just about "girls!"
Stan B.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ! Truly dynamic., March 13 2004
Sharon Myers (Huntsville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
Had I read this book early in my career (right after college), it may not have had the same impact as it does now. I was able to say "I did that, I do that or I've done that" to a large percent of the book. I never realized that what I was doing was hurting my career. Having picked up this book at the start of a new career path, I can use all of Dr. Frankel's coaching tips from the beginning without fear of co-workers wondering if I'm sick. I've been in my new position for only two weeks and have already stopped myself on many occasions from "bein' a girl".
If you're serious about your career, you'll definitely want this book in your brief case! She has a way with words that makes every example seem to have come straight from a place you've been. All of my choices now are guided by "the book". Thank you Dr. Frankel, you are my hero!

5.0 out of 5 stars a must!, Dec 4 2011
This review is from: Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers (Paperback)
This book is amazing. It is a quick reader. The chapters are short and sweet, you can read a few at a time on your way to book, during a bus ride, during your break, when you have 15 minutes to relax. The author names the most common mistakes women make and gives great tips on how to work on those mistakes. She suggests books, web-sites or personal recommandations. The tips are great for most, if not, all careers. Again, this book is a must!

4.0 out of 5 stars Many Good Points, July 19 2004
By A Customer
Frankel had many good points. I found myself behaving like some, and wasn't aware it was a female behaviour, until now.
For the most part it was an eye opening book. However, I did find a few of her points subject to her opinion, ie: Albrights brooch vs. Frankels own approved brooch...please. Otherwise, this book was very interesting, eye opening, and sad that women still need to adapt their personalities to accomodate men, to play the game. Also suggested by Frankel, were many other good books to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book., June 2 2004
By A Customer
This book does a fine job of exploring gender issues not just in the corporate world but also in other relevent aspects of life. It was a good read. I got a good kick out of this book and also suggest reading the book "Stumbling Naked in the Dark" to understand how men can benefit and learn from us women.

5.0 out of 5 stars The nail on the head, April 29 2004
By A Customer
This book is right on target. The observations of what it takes to succeed in the corporate world. This book is as close to having a personal coach as you can get. It shows you how to be competitive. I highly recommend this book and another book "He Never Called Again."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›