4.0 out of 5 stars review
Published on March 17 2002 by Ashley Cahill

1.0 out of 5 stars Which Engine Do You Remember?
Published on March 20 2003 by Craig Rucin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Which Engine Do You Remember?, March 20 2003
Craig Rucin (Oak Lawn, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could: The Complete, Original Edition (Hardcover)
I wanted to buy this book for my children because it was my favorite as a kid. However, when I read the book I was surprised because it wasn't what I remembered. After doing research on this, I discovered there was another version of this story, "The Pony Engine" by Wonder Books, which I purchased used. This was the version I grew up with. What's the difference? The "Watty Piper" version makes the good engines girls and the bad engines boys and the version I grew up with does not make any [gender] distinction for the engines. If you are looking for the same book you grew up with, you may want to consider which version you want to read to your kids. Which is the true version? That is debated and you can read about it...

4.0 out of 5 stars review, March 17 2002
This is about a train full of toys and good things to eat. They are traveling to get to a town full of good girls and boys and the engine on the train they are in breaks down. They need to get there so when an engine passes they ask if it will help them. They make up reasons why they can't do it like they don't have time to help and things like that. Then a little engine comes along and is willing to help them out. Nobody thinks this engine can pull the train over the mountain because it is too little but the engine believes he can and tries to do it anyway. The engine starts to pull the train and keeps saying "I think I can, I think I can", ...
This is a great book for children. It teaches them they can do whatever they put their minds too. The little engine did not give up just because no one thought he could pull the train over the mountain. He kept going ... people can do anything if they believe in themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaks the language barrier, July 23 2001
Few books are so gratifying to read to children for the first time. A child does not even need to understand English to "get" it. On first meeting our four-year-old son, who had never heard a world of English until then, I put him on my knee and impersonated each engine character chugging through these pages. He was scared and shy, but he loved the "characters," which I could only differentiate for him by sound, and he especially loved the famous repeating line "I think I can." As my whispers rose to crescendo, he squealed in delight. Nowadays he reads much harder books before going to sleep at night. But he likes every now and then to come back to this one: He well remembers the first moments of bonding with me, and with this book. Alyssa A. Lappen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Classic Book, June 22 2011
My train loving child adores this book. A great kid pleaser and a good message. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that the 'classic' illustrations include some pretty outdated stereotypes of aboriginal peoples.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real crowd pleaser for the train loving set, Dec 22 1999
If I were rating this book based on how much I like it, it would be about a 2 star book! If my son were rating it, it would be 5 plus stars! I always found this story a bit dull and predictable. I was given this book for my son, and read it to him half thinking he would feel the same. Well, from the time he was less than a year old, he loved it very, very much. We read it over and over and over....I think the message does inspire kids, and of course, it's about trains, which alone is enough to make him happy. So I have mellowed on this title, and think it richly deserves a 4 star vote!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Little Engine that Could, April 26 2004
This story is a childrens classic. A wonderful tale about a little helpful train that overcomes great physical adversity through sheer will power. A great moral teaching story for young impressionable children. This story teaches our children especially our daughters that they too can be successful if they
work hard and think positive. This is a story I'll read to my daughter many times. The little engine represent a positive female role model without flaunting its femininity. In fact I had forgotten the engine was female until I read it again recently. A great story worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale of self esteem, May 15 2001
This is a great book for teaching children and even some adults about not giving up. Sure it's predicatble to some. But for those who haven't become jaded once they became adults, this is a cool book. The colours are vibrant and the text is just right for getting the message across.
And when you consider how much money some adults pay for conferences that are meant to teach one to not give up and to not allow others to tell you that you cannot attain your goals and dreams, seems this book does the same thing and for less ... dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CHILDRENS SUCCESS CLASSIC, April 15 2004
Zev Saftlas "Founder and Host of EmpoweringMe... (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
As a parent of three, one of the most important things I can give my children is motivation.
The attitude that he or she CAN DO ANYTHING IF THEY THINK THEY CAN DO IT.
By reading this story over and over again, the message will go into their conscious and subconscious mind and my hope is that they will follow their dreams and become all they are able to become.
Zev Saftlas, Author of Motivation That Works: How to Get Motivated and Stay Motivated
What better gift can a parent give their child than believing in them?

5.0 out of 5 stars A toddlers' favorite. Read it again and again for smiles., Dec 20 1998
By A Customer
The story of a train filled with dolls and toys that breaks down and asks for help from other engines. The classic story of a simple struggle to bring the dolls and toys to the "children on the other side of the mountain" is a delight when a little blue engine volunteers to help and "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" is is finally rewarded in the end with "I thought I could, I thought I could", etc. My 2 and 3 year olds' favorite book for many weeks. Enjoy. Dec 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars engine, May 22 2000
By A Customer
The engine that could is a good book for children ity helps them know that they can do anything that they want I think that the book is good for a boy or girl it is easy to read there are plenty of pictures for the little kids that like looking at colorful pictures. This book is to help kids to realize that they can do anything as long as they put there mind to it, it will happen. Overall I think that this a really good book for young children.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Little Engine That Could: The Complete, Original Edition
The Little Engine That Could: The Complete, Original Edition by Watty Piper (Hardcover - July 31 2001)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49