4.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
I consider this book to be the "bible" for sleep-deprived parents. It gives you all the background info you need to understand children's sleep problems and how to fix them. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a child who is not sleeping well.
Published on Jan. 20 2006 by C. Da Roza

2.0 out of 5 stars Scientifically correct....but harsh to put into practice
While the doctor is a specialist in the area of sleep the book fails to appreciate that babies are people with feelings.
To give you an understanding of what I mean here are a few EXACT quotes.
Page 177 "Use thick layers of zinc oxide paste in the diaper region so that no rash will develop when you do not go to your baby at night to change diapers."
How...
Published on Nov. 5 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, Jan. 20 2006
C. Da Roza (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
However, be prepared for a long, cumbersome read. Like many other reviewers have stated, this book needs some good editing. It is difficult to understand in parts, contradictory at times, and just an overall boring read! Difficult to get through the whole thing when you're a tired mom!
Despite all that, I'd still consider the book worth buying. But for those of you who just want to get to the facts and solutions, and only have a couple of hours to spend reading, there is an even better book out there. It's called the Sleep Sense Program, by Dana Obleman. You can order it at w[...]
We were following Healthy Sleep Habits to the letter, but our son was still not sleeping through the night consistently. When we came across Sleep Sense, we quickly ordered the book and devoured it. We found that Dana's techniques were very similar to Mark Weissbluth's. The difference we found in Dana's book was removing the soother from our son's bedtime routine. As soon as we did that, no more night wakings!
If you have to pick one book, I'd pick Sleep Sense for its quick, no-nonsense read, easy to implement, effective tips as well as the extras it comes with (workbook, electronic sleep log and audio interview with Dana). But if you really want to get in-depth and truly understand how children sleep, what causes sleep problems, different types of sleep problems and how to fix them - Healthy Sleep Habits is the book for you. Personally, I'm glad I have both, and refer back to them whenever my son enters a new sleep pattern.

2.0 out of 5 stars Scientifically correct....but harsh to put into practice, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
To give you an understanding of what I mean here are a few EXACT quotes.
How long to let your baby cry? Page 159 for naps "no more than one hour" for bedtime "there is no time limit at night if the child is not hungry or ill"
Why do you let him cry? Page 159 "We are leaving him alone to forget the expectation to be picked up."
To answer "Isn't crying harmful" he says: "Not necessarily." "When a child cries she may more quickly unlearn to expect to be picked up."
And if your baby cries so hard she vomits? Page 176 "If the vomiting is irregular and occasional you should try waiting until after you think she is deeply asleep before checking, and then quickly clean her if needed."
(Wait until she's ASLEEP before checking? Clean her IF NEEDED?)
In response to a parent who says she wants to respond to her crying baby at night, Page 178 "Letting your baby cry is not doing nothing. You are activily encouraging the development of independence" He then says you may not want to hear your baby cry because you have Page 179 "Working mother's guilt. You may feel guilty about being away from your child so much."
What if your baby climbs out of the crib? Page 193 "A crib tent will prevent your child from getting out of the crib, and it allows you to remove yourself from his protest crying" And if you don't want to use a crib tent because he says "some parents feel that the crib tent locks their child in the crib like an animal caged in the zoo" then "lock the door instead."
To keep a 3 year old from getting up too early in the morning "Place a digital clock in her room and set the alarm for 6 or 7" "You do not respond to her cries before this wake-up time."
Enough said. Not only are the ideas harsh and the grammer terrible, I much prefer the sensitive approach in The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley where you don't have to deal with vomiting, crying or crib tents.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too harsh for my taste, April 9 2004
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
This book is a complicated discussion of sleep science. It also advocates more crying and ignoring a baby than I would be comfortable with. It seems a major ordeal to solve a process that is natural for a baby - learning to sleep. As babies get older they do learn to sleep better, forcing them to cry themselves to sleep at a young age to speed the natural process seems overly harsh and based on thinking of short term instead of building life long trust. Think I'll pass.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cruel and Unsafe, Aug. 4 2000
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
The whole philosophy of the book is that children's need for sleep takes precedence over all other needs of the child: need for security, (Maslow), need to develop trust (Erickson), and other basic needs like breastmilk and water.
Weissbluth's definition of a sleep problem is when the child not sleeping becomes a problem for the parent. His solution is that up to four months, parents should meet the babies' needs for cuddles, feeding, etc. After four months, he advocates letting the baby cry it out for however long it takes until the baby stops crying and goes to sleep. The parents are not to check on the baby or pat it's back or talk. When asked "How long should I let my baby cry?", he replies, "to establish regular naps, and consolidated sleep overnight, there is no time limit." p.134 "We are leaving the baby alone to forget the expection to be picked up."
The most offensive part of the book in on page 157 in the 4 month to 12 month age, where he replies to a mother whose baby is so upset, she vomits: "If the vomiting always occurs, I think you will want to always go in to clean her promptly and then leave her again. If the vomiting is irregular and occasional, you should try waiting until after you think she is deeply asleep before checking, and then quickly clean her if needed."
The parents are not to check to see if the baby choked? They are advised to make her fall asleep in her vomit? What if her body is dangling from the crib slats? What if she has a tummyache, or is hungry or has a thread wrapped around her toe? The parents are just supposed to ignore it until she gives up sobbing in desparation?
Weissbluth also makes statements in the book that are not backed by studies:
Letting a baby cry for hours on end without soothing, reassuring, or picking up, does no emotional damage in the long term.
Kids become independent by being ignored and learning to meet their own needs by self soothing, rahter then by being nurtured ny parents and having their needs met quickly.
Kids that demand more emotional/social time with parents are called "bratty".
Temperment can be changed by sleep increases. A child's behaviour is not linked to temperment, but is linked to the amount of rest they get.
Parents have ultimate *control* over their child's sleep. They are not just facilitators of sleep, but can make their children go to sleep.
Breastmilk and formula are just as satiating because of the similar calorie count. (He discounts that breastmilk is easier to digest and therefore breastfed babies can be hungrier through the night. )
Adults who are addicted to their lovers, probably had Mothers who couldn't allow them to separate, self soothe, or grow. p.236
A nine month old baby has the cognitive ability to "stick it to his Mother" and planned out ways to manipulate her. p.218
Infants that have every need met are left with "undischarged aggression". The infant is robbed of desire because his every need is anticipated and met before being experienced. p.78
"Two and a half hours of crying is normal during a sleep training program. " (The baby is two months old.) P. 97 to 99
The need for attention and soothing at night is not a need, but a want, like the desire for candy. p. 164
This book is not only cruel but dangerous. A parent who can ignore her babies crys in the midst of vomit for hours on end, is not going to be a nurturing, responsive parent during the day. The need for attention, food, soothing, cuddles and security are basic needs of babies and children. Sleep is also a need. As a responsible parent you can find ways to give your child both.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weissbluth's approach is calloused and barbaric, Feb. 15 2003
SillySAHM (Kokomo, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
I read this, every word. I couldn't believe some of the things Weissbluth was suggesting. At one point, he advocated leaving a baby alone after he had vomited: Don't clean him up, just leave him be. Basically he said leave your child alone to scream as long as it takes. It makes me sick just thinking about it. I would have given this less than a one star rating, but it isn't possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 very different kids - worked for both, June 1 2005
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
I began reading this book in bits on the third day of my daughter's life. A new mum, already sleep-deprived and feeling desperate I switched to the relevant section dealing with newborns. The news that newborns do not have sleep patterns provided a lot of relief. It didn't solve my immediate problems, but it helped me realize that I wasn't alone (grin and bear it).
At six weeks of age I began introducing a schedule for my daughter, and it worked. I had a fabulous, happy, well-rested baby who at 6 months began to sleep throught the night (7pm-7am). She is now 5 years old and still does. What is more, her younger brother (now 2 years old) has the same sleep habits - despite being a VERY different person. He is much more stubborn and strong-willed than my daughter and was a much more challenging baby. The techniques worked on him too.
So many friends gape in disbelief when they witness our early bedtimes, and the lack of hassle with which my children go to sleep. The fact that my husband and I can enjoy nuturing our own relationship in the evenings while the kids are in bed is very important to our growth and commitment as a couple.
Do everyone in your family a favour and read this book. Don't feel the need to read it cover to cover - hit the points that are pertinent to your own child's age and situation. I still refer to mine as my kids grow. It not only helps your children be healthy, it helps you maintain some time for yourself. If the parents are not happy, healthy and well-rested then the kiddies won't be either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuk! (wish I could give it 0 stars!), April 30 2003
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
I was given this as a gift and when I read it, I nearly threw it out the window.
This book discourages breastfeeding and co-sleeping and promotes infant crying-it-out and schedules...while disguising the technique as gentle and natural (and claiming not to promote schedules or crying). It actually implies that forcing your one-month old infant to cry themselves to sleep is what the baby WANTS.
The statement "Crying is the consequence of becoming overtired" is repeated throughout. Perhaps the child is unhappy, hungry, or any number of other causes beside fatigue. It also warns the reader that if the techniques aren't followed you may end up with a "24-hour child"....uh, since when does parenthood stop at 8pm?

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of crying involved, July 26 2002
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
Here's a quote from the book "If we place an arbitrary limit on the duration of crying at night, we train our child to cry to that predetermined time. When it is open-ended, the child learns to stop protesting and to fall asleep." Well, sure. Have you ever cried yourself to sleep? Exhaustion and agony work! This method requires a hard heart and lots of crying. He also says "We are leaving him alone to forget the expectation to be picked up." We are talking about a BABY here, a baby who deserves and needs to picked up and should expect to be picked up. I'm sorry that I started with this book, I'm glad I moved on to one that is more compassionate and loving: The No-Cry Sleep Solution. A better more peaceful way - much easier on my baby, and much easier on me. Many of my friends used the crying way and it took weeks of tears and every so often they have to do it again. I couldn't do that to my baby.

1.0 out of 5 stars very poorly written/edited, Dec 29 2011
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me, but unfortunately I found it so poorly written and edited that I have given up trying to read it.

The text is repetitive and poorly organized. The following are examples of the poor editing:
1) The section titles were innacurate. For example, on p. 76 the title is "Breast-feeding versus bottle-feeding and family bed versus crib." This is followed by two-thirds of a page on how to tell if your baby has colic, which obviously should have been in a section titled, "how to tell if your baby has colic."
2) The author gives contradictory advice -- e.g. using textboxes and bold font to state, "never wake a sleeping baby" e.g. on p. 52 and 108. However on p. 106 he states "if naps are too long...you might have to wake him ... in order to maintain the timeliness of the sleep rhythm at night" and on p. 103-104 "Practice scheduled awakening..." and "Control the wake-up time." If the textboxes aren't meant to be absolutes, perhaps it would have been helpful to soften the language somewhat...
3) I also found that the example stories, while perhaps interesting, were often not representative of the problem/solution he was trying to illustrate.

Although this is apparently the 3rd edition of the book, I think a more thorough edit should have happened before it was published. Despite reading more than 200 pages, I'm still not entirely sure what the Dr. recommends as best practice.

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful tips, Nov. 3 2011
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
It's more of a reference book, however, I've decided to read it all the way through. I'm half way there. It can get a little too scientific at times when it goes into detail about a variety of studies. But I'm enjoying some of the tips it offers. The most basic tip of all that seems to have changed the way I manage my babies sleep is that a babies 'wake cycle' is usually between 1 and 2 hours. I am more aware of signs of sleepiness and when to start the 'soothing process (i.e.: reducing stimulation like light and noise in anticipation of nap time). I only have one child but the book touches on managing sleep with multiple children at home.

ARRAY(0xb176d888)

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth (Paperback - April 12 1999)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72