5.0 out of 5 stars gotta have it
Published on Oct. 24 2010 by Daniel

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Food….but not all recipes are perfect
We worked our way through most of Jerusalem and wanted to do the same with Ottolenghi. We quickly found a couple of issues so be warned:

Kosheri calls for 1tbsp salt…….too, too much. Try 1tsp or less
Cauliflower & Cumin Fritters with Lime Yoghurt…….fritters are bland, yoghurt is delicious.
Favourite so far…..Sweet Potato...
Published 2 months ago by opheliabuttocks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars gotta have it, Oct. 24 2010
I'm in the restaurant industry, working for a well known boutique hotel in Vancouver Canada, I usually buy professional books, have a pretty extensive collection and one day i was invited to do a cooking demo on this book, and let me tell you, even though it is meant for home cooks, I fell in love, it is, by far one of my top 3, you MUST try this recipes, the harissa chicken and the coriander and honey lamb recipes are amazing, and the quinoa and red rice salad with pistacchios is truly outstanding, no doubt, the best grain salad I have tried in my life

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Cookbook, Jan. 13 2012
Susan Gray (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I use a lot of cookbooks and go online for recipes constantly. I also like to experiment with different herbs and spices. When I was in London, England a few years ago my brother introduced me to this book and I couldn't wait to order it because everything looked so good. He told me that several of his friends had cooked recipes from there and they had always been excellent.

After making a lot of the recipes I have to agree with them. Each dish I have attempted has turned out perfectly. The blends of herbs and spices is inspired and never fails. I honestly have not made a thing that I think would be better if it had slightly different ingredients and that very rarely happens when I follow a recipe.

Recent things I have made are Roast Chicken with saffron, hazelnuts and honey, which is absolutely delicious. I made this for a dinner party and everybody raved about it. I also made the butternut squash with burnt aubergine and pomegranate molasses for the same meal and again, everybody raved. The sweet potato gratin is amazing, as are the sweet potato galettes. Everything looks exactly as it does in the book when it's prepared, so there's no false food photography here.

I want to try everything in this book. I'm about an eighth of the way through, so am excited to try more. I'm making Roast chicken with symac, za'tar and lemon and Chargrilled broccoli with chilli and garlic tonight, so am looking forward to seeing how they turn out. The chicken marinade smells amazing!

I have the next book 'Plenty' on order and will review that once I've made some of the dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook, Dec 28 2012
Very Happy with the cookbook. I tried some of the recipes on friends before Christmas and got very high praise on the dishes cooked.
It was not difficult getting the basic herbs and spices required as I drove to a great supermarket that stocks all middle eastern food.
The recipes are easy to follow - especially the chicken. The herb salad is a huge hit each time I have served it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ottolenghi the cookbook, Nov. 1 2012
Les recettes sont magnifiques! Les photos sont belles j'ai adoré ce livre je le recommande à tous le monde !

5.0 out of 5 stars The 2013 Christmas Gift of Choice!, Jan. 1 2014
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
A beautiful book….to read and use! A lovely gift for any cook!
The presentation of pictures and recipes is novel and rewarding….gave 7 as gifts….all very well received!

The only thing missing…a trip to the restaurant! On my bucket list…..

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready to Cook and Love Doing It, Dec 30 2013
Susan (Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is just as good as 'Plenty', only with the inclusion of traditional Mediterranean recipes, it makes it even better. The photographs are wonderful and give a good idea of the end result. The recipes are laid out so well, that you can actually have the same results as the photos! Excellent choices of recipes and wonderful tips and information as well. Makes anyone ready to cook and love doing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible!, Nov. 21 2013
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Having followed Yotam Ottolenghi for years in The Guardian, I was delighted when he began to write cookbooks. I am a vegetarian and my husband is not, but he is a great cook. Since buying 'The Cookbook' he has become more and more enthused about cooking meatless dishes which we both enjoy. As I understand it, Yotam's books ( with Sami sometimes) are influencing many people to try his food and they are loving it. Sales of aubergines have gone up - some of which ended up in our kitchen. All the recipes we have tried have worked and are delicious - the photos are inspirational and let us hope that some of the ingredients he uses in the UK will become more available here as a result of the rise in popularity of these books.

4.0 out of 5 stars You've got to try these recipes!, Aug. 17 2010
Yotam Ottelenghi is a hot young chef in the UK right now. He's produced two outstanding cookbooks which introduce readers to cuisines they might not be very familiar with, namely those of the Middle East, especially Syria, Isreal, Lebanon, Egypt and, to a lesser extent, Turkey. The emphasis is on simple, everyday food from this region, much of it vegetarian. Some feature spices that may not be familiar like sumac, zataar, pomegranate molasses but mostly the dishes are accessible and easy to prepare. Worth it for the pictures alone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Complicated, April 13 2014
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
The recipes are too complicated for me. I'd rather have a thirty minute recipe book. But otherwise a good book

5.0 out of 5 stars Love all his books, April 8 2014
R. Barriga "deloslibros" (Durham, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Jerusalem might by my favorite, but I've yet to to follow a recipe that's not absolutely delicious, and generally healthy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb4cb63fc)

Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Ottolenghi: The Cookbook by Sami Tamimi (Hardcover - Sept. 3 2013)
CDN$ 35.00 CDN$ 21.94