5.0 out of 5 stars Solid series of down-home recipes
I've been on a bit of a recipe book kick recently, so I was curious to read what the fuss was over the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. It's based on the author's blog. While many of the specific recipes in here aren't online, you can often find similar ones online. So why buy this book? Well, it has a few things going for it.

First, the recipes are interesting and...
Published 17 months ago by A. Volk

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I tried one of the recipes and it was awful, the ricotta scones, very dry and tasteless. The rest did not look worth trying so I am very disappointed in this product.
Published 9 months ago by Dr David N Clarke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid series of down-home recipes, Nov. 12 2012
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (#1 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)

First, the recipes are interesting and well executed. Each comes with its own back story (often involving her mother) and each generally comes with multiple pictures depicting the recipe at different stages. That's a great idea that I wish more books did. Yes, it's important to know what the final product should look like, but it's also helpful to know what it should look like halfway through the recipe. It's true that many of these intermediate pictures are on the smaller side, but something is better than nothing. The recipes themselves are generally intermediate in difficulty and don't use too many exotic ingredients, so they should be accessible to most home cooks.

There are a lot of breakfast recipes (17), a lot of lunch recipes (24), a reasonable number of main dishes (25, half of which are vegetarian), and a LOT of dessert recipes (40 cake, cookie, pie, snacks, and drink recipes). Perelman's northern European Jewish heritage shines through in many classic traditional Jewish recipes such as challah bread or potato latkes (one of my favorite recipes in the book). She adds a dash of international flavors, heavy on the Mediterranean ones, to round out her recipes. So it's a good mix of comfort foods and more modern cuisine. She rounds out the book with some basic tips that are generally quite helpful (measuring, equipping your kitchen, and common names or substitutions for some ingredients).

For me, the only negatives are that I don't need so many vegetarian recipes (although many can be adapted as side dishes) and I always like having nutritional values with recipes. The maple bacon biscuits or the runny-egg topped latkes are both really appealing, but I'm betting neither sets a new health standard for breakfasts. Still, common sense can give you an idea of which recipes are healthier (usually the Mediterranean-inspired ones), so it's not enough to keep me from giving this book 5-stars. More than just a collection of recipes, you get a lot of stories and some very valuable cooking tips along the way.

If you're not sure about her style of cooking you could always try out some of the free recipes on her blog and then get the book if you like what you taste. Personally, I do like her style of cooking and I'm quite pleased at reading yet another great recipe book this fall. More and more, with books like this one (as well as some others I've recently enjoyed), it's becoming easier and more fun to be a competent home cook! Which is a great thing if you love to cook good food, and an even better thing if you like to eat it!

4.0 out of 5 stars I've waited for this book for a long time., Nov. 29 2012
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
As an avid follower of the Smitten Kitchen Blog, I've been looking forward to this cookbook for awhile. The minute I got it, I read it, and I've never read a cookbook before. The is an excellent balance of recipes in this book, especially for someone with a vegetarian husband. Usually when I buy a cookbook, the majority of it I cannot use because they are all meat dishes. But this book actually has balance and provides actual vegetarian MEALS, not just side dishes.

There is also a good balance of complexity - with everything from easy slow cooker meals (Black Bean Ragout, YUM) and quick weekday sandwiches to complicated desserts. So far, everything I've tried has turned out the way it is supposed to which is something I've always loved about her blog. I hate to put a whole bunch of time and ingredients into something only to have it turn out badly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, Jan. 2 2013
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I borrow many cookbooks from the library, but I wanted to buy The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. It has so many good new recipes, but several old standbys as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, Dec 2 2012
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
This book feels like Deb poured her soul into it. Amazing and heartfelt like her blog. Great instructions and helpful tips. Beautiful photos. A must-buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, Nov. 26 2012
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I had pre-ordered this book as soon as it was available and it came a little while ago. Had a chance to make a couple of the recipes and I love Deb's warm and chatty writing style. Great pictures, great recipes. One of my favorite bloggers of all time

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, concise and wonderful photos. Bravo Deb!, Aug. 12 2013
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
Excellent, concise and wonderful photos. Bravo Deb! I am now buying it for my future daughter in law! Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the website, love the book!, Aug. 2 2013
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
Just a great book... easy to read, easy to follow instructions, and great recipes that mirror the author's web site.

4.0 out of 5 stars HUMM!, May 14 2013
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
Recettes avec des mesures et des indications claires et précises qui permettent de réussir à tout coup les fabuleuses recettes proposées.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my kitchen, April 19 2013
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love the her blog and the book is a continuation of great recipes. Nice pictures and good easy to follow descriptions make this book one I will use time and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum! A must buy, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a really great book. I love the easy but very tasty recipes. I've already tried a few that will be added to my normal repertoire.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xad1b5a74)

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman (Hardcover - Oct. 30 2012)
CDN$ 35.00 CDN$ 21.94