5.0 out of 5 stars AS GREAT AS THE STATE
This has to be one of James Michener's greatest achievements. If this isn't his best book, it is one of his best. At 1322 pages you would think that would be enough, but with all of the topics JM touches I actually found myself wanting more.
Published on Dec 22 2003 by Jeff Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars Please, Mr. Barlow, don't shoot my armadillo!
Michener can get run off on some the most boring, technical details that have no place in a well-written novel, but Texas
Published on July 29 2002 by T. Hunt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AS GREAT AS THE STATE, Dec 22 2003
Jeff Howard (South Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
Mercifully this one does not start with the formation of the earth's crust. Instead, JM jumps into the action and begins a saga that lasts almost 500 years. From the Indians, to the Spanish Friars, to the Alamo, gunslingers, frontiersmen, immigrants, cattleman, entrepreneurs, Texas Rangers, real estate barons, King Cotton, oil men, and football. This only scratches the surface.
JM follows the lives of several families from their immigration to Texas and the lives they cut out for themselves while there. Beyond fascinating. I highly recommend this book. Don't let the size of it scare you off because if is a fast read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not As Popular Today As Hawaii But Good, Jan. 8 2004
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is among my favourites. I have read most or many of his books twice and always find them to be entertaining and educational. I keep a copy of Hawaii, Alaska, and Texas near at hand. This is a nice 1000 page historical novel that gives a very detailed picture of the evolution of the great state of Texas, now one of the most dynamic states in the USA.
Michener's books use a common plot formula that starts out by telling a story that in some way reflects and utilizes accurately the actual or known historical developments and time lines and people of a region. In the present case it is about a group of people that came up from Mexico to settle in what is now Texas. It progresses through the development of the region adding in settlers, farmers, outlaws, lawmen, business people, adding in more characters and phasing out as time moves forward up to current times.
When I decided to review this book I was not certain if people were still interested in buying this book but I was pleased to see that there is still interest at Amazon.com in buying and reading this great story but perhaps not quite as popular as some of his other works.
Good read and a good gift.
Jack in Toronto

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes me (more) proud to be a Texan, May 26 2004
Carissa (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
The length (my version is 1500 pages!) did scare me at first but it far surpassed my hopes in bringing my state to life - I felt as if it were my personal history and made me proud to be a Texan, born and raised. It was informative and educational without being dull or preachy, and made me genuinely interested in the characters - both the historical and the fictional ones. Also made me a bit homesick.... all in all incredibly entertaining!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe Inspiring and super fun to read!!, Jan. 26 2003
Garrett Riley (Valencia, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
James Michener writes another of his super famous world renowned mega one word title novels that take a geographic area and tell the whole story with intertwining familys. From the inital journey into texas to the founding of Bejar (San Antonio) to the horror of Comanche Indian raids, to the fasinating detail of commerical real estate development! I have never read a Michener book I didn't consider a treasure, and this one is no exception.
For anyone who is afraid of reading a James Michener historical fiction novel....Just because the books are long and you might think it will be a boring history novel, it is not! The books are fascinating, trust me I have read almost a dozen of them so far and they have all resonated with me, Hawaii, Chesapeake, Centennial, The Source, Poland, The Drifters, Caribbean, Alaska, TEXAS! I love them all so much! And I wish nothing more than for all those reading this to pick up a James Michener novel now!! Start with Hawaii!

3.0 out of 5 stars Please, Mr. Barlow, don't shoot my armadillo!, July 29 2002
T. Hunt (Mt. Pleasant, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
certainly educated me about that unusual state. I was entertained more than not, but great characters and plot were sporadic. I can't help comparing him to Clavell and Jennings, and that's not fair to the guy. I will read his other work, but I'm going to hold off for a bit. I think Michener will appreciate this, though. I turned the last page much wiser than when I opened the cover. Enlightening.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Slow Long Tale of Texas, May 24 2002
Brian G. Fay (Syracuse, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
The book to me was a little slow in the beganing fisrt but it got interesting when they got talking about Sam Huston was the first president of Texas. The book was to in formitive to make the book interesting for me to get involed like I did in past books. I say that the book was tells every thing about the the state and the four major people in the state. The book is to deep in the history of the state and the people that made the state what it is I dont understand how a person can find such happyness in writing about a place that has had it's history played out throw every western that has ever been made. The book was a very long read witch was very uninjoyable to me the the first story of the Mexican boy who made his way to Texas and raised a family that became a leader in the Texas way of life for Mexicans. in short the book is a some what good read with a good auther and it is a very good book to learn from but if you just want to read pick another book grab a Tim O'Brien. (This review was written by a student of bgfay's)

5.0 out of 5 stars TEXAS, Good and Bad, May 5 2002
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
In Michener's page-turning spiced-up view of the great state of TEXAS we meet the Hero's and Hellions in a well researched yet fictionalized story. History should be written by someone as talented with words as this writer. A state as large as TEXAS could only be regaled in a novel as large as this. If you are unfamiliar with this talented novelist, shame on you. No one can tell a story better than James A Michener and TEXAS is just one more in a long line of this writer's BEST SELLERS.
Beverly J Scott author of Righteous Revenge

5.0 out of 5 stars "...WHEN YOU REPRESENT TEXAS ALWAYS GO FIRST CLASS.", Jan. 10 2002
W. G. Ellis (MORROW , GEORGIA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
AS STATED IN THE LAST WORDS OF THE BOOK, JAMES MICHENER HAS REPRESENTED TEXAS "FIRST CLASS". HIS BOOK IS BOTH INTERESTING IN
THAT MUCH OF IT IS HISTORICALLY FACTUAL, BUT IT IS ALSO A VERY
FIRST CLASS NOVEL. IT IS ONE OF THOSE BOOKS YOU CAN PUT DOWN, BUT YOU LOVE GETTING INTO IT THE NEXT CHANCE YOU HAVE. I THOUGHT
IT INTERESTING HIS HAVING R.J. POTEET IN THIS BOOK AS WELL AS
IN CENTENNIAL. I HAVE NOT READ ALL OF MICHENER'S BOOKS YET, BUT
THE ONES I HAVE READ ARE GREAT. I AM NOW STARTING HAWAII AND I
EXPECT IT TO BE AS INTERESTING AS HIS OTHER WORKS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gargatuan Novel, Jan. 8 2002
Colin Willey (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I think this is Michener's longest and consequently one of his best that I have read. Michener uses his typical formula shows the historical development of Texas from the 16th century to present (1980). What makes this work is that he shows the evolution through the eyes of different families (with varying ethnicity's) throughout different generations. You get to see the Texan perspective from differing points of view. Warning, it's a very long read, but looking back well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER GREAT NOVEL ABOUT PEOPLE........, Dec 7 2001
W. G. Ellis (MORROW , GEORGIA) - See all my reviews
THIS IS AS INTERESTING AS CENTENNIAL, ALASKA, AND CHESAPEAKE. I
HAVE HAWAII TO READ NEXT. I LIKE THE WAY JAMES MICHENER WRITES MAKING HISTORY ENJOYABLE. AS A HISTORY MAJOR IN COLLEGE I AM ALWAYS GLAD WHEN SOMEONE WRITES IN SUCH A WAY THAT HISTORY IS INTERESTING TO THOSE WHO MIGHT NOT EXPOSE THEMSELVES TO IT. THIS
BOOK IS FULL OF BOTH FACT AND FICTION, BUT HE TELLS YOU UP FRONT
WHAT IS WHAT. ALSO IT IS JUST PLAIN INTERESTING AND VERY EASY TO
READ. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS AS WELL AS THE BOOKS ABOVE FOR ONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN HISTORY BUT NOT JUST FACTS.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xacac266c)

Texas
Texas by James A. Michener (Mass Market Paperback - June 12 1987)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79