5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspirational. The single best book I have ever read.
If you asked me to recommend to you the single best book I have ever read, my answer would be a very definite "Think and Grow Rich".
Published on March 24 2008 by Avinash Sharma, The Yogic Manager

1.0 out of 5 stars 100% Pure Snake Oil, Guaranteed!
Please don't throw your money away on this snake oil.
This book could have been the prototype of the crass infomercial. Hill is the breathless huckster, and what he's selling is, in his OWN words, a "magic formula" to easy riches. The value of the alleged money-making advice in Hill's book is zero, and I've read that he never made any money himself except by...
Published on Feb. 6 2001 by John M. Melody

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspirational. The single best book I have ever read., March 24 2008
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich (Mass Market Paperback)
First published in 1937, this is the end product of two decades of research conducted by Napoleon Hill. His research started when Andrew Carnegie (the steel tycoon who was then the richest man on earth) gave him the assignment of organizing a Philosophy of Personal Achievement. Hill, who was a poor journalist, armed with just an introductory letter from Carnegie, set out to interview over five hundred successful people including Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, John D. Rockefeller, George Eastman, William Wrigley Jr. and Charles M. Schwab. Hill then revealed the priceless wisdom of his research in the form of the thirteen steps to success (in Think and Grow Rich) and the seventeen principles of success (in courses and lectures he conducted).
The concepts taught by Napoleon Hill transformed my life. Some of these include developing a definite purpose, building a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA), channeling the power of the sub-conscious mind and dealing with adversity. Everything he wrote about or talked about is thought provoking. He was wise, humble and funny. His philosophy is universal; he did not mix it with religion. The riches he referred to were more than money, for the Philosophy of Personal Achievement can be applied to anything in life.
Hill was well ahead of his time. This book has a chapter dedicated to some of today's most important issues - Specialized Knowledge, Decision Making, Imagination and Organized Planning (in which he deals with Leadership). He also has principles for Teamwork, Creative Vision, Health, etc.
This is a classic, and hence the examples are old (not to be confused with outdated). But they are as relevant today as they were in the early twentieth century. Here is an example from T&GR in the chapter on Desire:
On the morning after the Great Fire of Chicago (1871), a group of merchants on Chicago's State Street went into a conference to decide whether to rebuild their stores or leave Chicago. All but one decided to leave. The merchant who decided to stay pointed a finger to the remains of his store and said "Gentlemen, on that very spot I will build the world's greatest store, no matter how many times it may burn down." His name was Marshall Field and his store still exists, and in Hill's words is "a towering monument to that state of mind known as a burning desire." I lived in Chicago from 2002 through 2004 and worked three blocks away from this impressive store on State Street. Sometimes I would visit it or stand outside it to derive inspiration and be reminded of the power of desire. It is amazing that Hill describes "burning desire" with a story based on the Chicago Fire.
There are thousands of self-help books out in the market and hundreds of self proclaimed "gurus" who have made a living by copying the wisdom in Hill's books. As I went through some of those books I realized that there was not much in them that Hill had not already written about. I recommend quality over quantity. Instead of reading through many books, I recommend that you study the following works of Hill and internalize his wisdom:
1. The Think and Grow Rich Action Pack (1937) - I recommend the Action Pack edition,
2. Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement - this is an excellent guide to his principles,
3. Your Right To Be Rich [Unabridged] - this consists of 12 hours of live lectures covering the 17 principles, that Hill conducted in Chicago in 1954.
By internalizing, I mean studying in depth - analyzing the ideas, making notes and summaries. I own more CDs by Hill, but I believe that these 3 items make the perfect study plan on the Philosophy of Personal Achievement.
I am greatly indebted to Napoleon Hill. The purpose of my writing this is to spread awareness of his work so that more people can benefit from it. This, I believe is the best way in which Hill would have liked to have been repaid.
If my review was helpful to you, I request you to select "Yes" so that the rating is improved and more readers will get to read it. Please also see the website of the Napoleon Hill Foundation, naphill dot org, which has helpful resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtably the greatest self development book of all time!, June 9 2004
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich (Mass Market Paperback)
I know that they are many personal development books and tapes and seminars and other programs. But in all my years I have never seen anything that delivers like Think and Grow Rich does.
To be honest, it took me awhile to figure out the secret that Hill was taking about. Of course, I found some people who still haven't figured it out. Perhaps they are the people giving this great book 1 stars.
Not a big book, Think and Grow Rich is only 230 pages and 15 chapters. What sold me on buying this book (I used to hate these self books and thought they were too Pollyannaish) was when I read that Clement Stone turned $100 into over $36 million by following the principles in this book.
At the time I first heard about this book, I was flat broke and deepling debt. That all changed and quickly thanks to following the principles in Think and Grow Rich.
To me the 6 step self confidence formula on page 36 coupled with the chapter on autosuggestion did the most for me. I also memorized the poem on page 38 and would say it outloud on my way to sales calls while driving in my car. Drivers next to me on the road found me very entertaining I suppose...but I found this simple exercise very beneficial to me.
Think and Grow Rich had a profound effect on my life. I cannot recommend this book or any book by Napolean Hill for that matter highly enough. They are life changing and powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This great book is true to the original; will help you grow!, June 12 2006
I have read many hundreds of books over the past 14 years in my quest for success. Think and Grow Rich stands at the top. It has made a positive impact on my life that is second to none. To the degree that I have applied the principles in this book, I have reaped incredible results.

As I was going through this new edition for the first time, I was comparing it to an old original edition that I have. The editor, Ross Cornwell, has stayed true to the original, especially compared to some other editions. It is amazing to me some of the text that was left out of the other editions. Some of that information is incredibly powerful.

I can imagine how difficult it was to revise the book while staying true to Napoleon Hill. We all have our biases and opinions. I don't necessarily agree with every thing Napoleon Hill said, but when I read Think and Grow Rich, I want to trust that I am reading what Hill meant to say and not what someone thought he meant or thought he should have meant.

The sad part is when someone comes across one of the other editions, they will read it and not really be reading the true Think and Grow Rich, and they won't even know it. This new edition has done it justice, and where the editor interpreted

what Hill meant or would mean (in the endnotes), he clearly states this, and that is key.

I believe Mr. Cornwell is doing a great thing by getting this information out there in its true and intended form for other people, because the principles explained in this book have produced, in me, an inner strength and confidence that has allowed for massive growth in all areas of my life. I have a long way to go to reach my full potential, but these principles have put me on the upward path. I truly believe I can become and achieve anything I TRULY desire because of what I learned from Think and Grow Rich!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conceive... Believe... Achieve, June 7 2006
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve." --Napoleon Hill

1. Think and Grow Rich

2. Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success : The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement - this is an excellent guide to his principles,

Some have criticized Hill's work by stating that his research was unscientific. They pass him up for Jim Collins (whose "Good to Great" dedicates 76 out of its 300 pages to research methodology and notes that hardly anybody ever reads) or Marcus Buckingham (whose "First Break..." similarly uses 25 pages for Gallup's Meta Analysis and what not). These people don't know what they are missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars When the student is ready..., June 13 2006
...the teacher will appear. Napoleon Hill encourages readers to go through this book at least three times. Solid advice, for there is a lot to chew on here.

First, you must know what it is that you want. As the publisher notes, "The riches within your grasp cannot always be measured in money." Get a clear picture of your definition of riches. Second, you must keep an eye open for opportunity, and be prepared to apply this material to transform thought into rewards.

20 years of research are crammed into these pages. You will learn six steps to stimulate your subconscious mind to turn desire into gold, a five step self-confidence formula, the 31 major causes of failure, how to train yourself to be persistent, how to multiply your brain power through a Master Mind group, the power of sex transmutation, the secret of effective prayer, and how to identify and conquer fear.

Do not aim to understand and apply all of these concepts in one trip through the book. Some of the ideas presented here take a while to absorb. Treat it like a buffet, sampling some of the familiar and comfortable in the first wave, while trying some of the new ideas as well. Look to understand and apply more with each read. As you progress, you will see evidence of the truth behind each chapter.

Henry Ford said, "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it." This is not always an easy read. The concepts aren't trendy and easy to apply, so some are likely to dismiss them. But if you take the time to study this book, apply the principles and really start *thinking* right, you will grow rich(...)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book turned my life around, July 3 2006
I bought this book two years ago. It turned my life around. Following the principles Napoleon Hill teaches in this great book enabled me to overcome a serious, long-term drinking problem, in a matter of weeks. It also gave me the courage to quit a dead end job and start my own business. Not a week goes by that I don't pick up this book and re-read a section related to some problem that has come up. I also re-study a chapter and the endnotes each week to keep my motivation hitting on all cylinders. When I finish, I start over again with the first chapter. I will read this book and study it in this fashion for the rest of my life, just as I do with my Bible. Those two resources are the blueprint and the foundation for leading a purposeful, meaningful life. I give copies of Think and Grow Rich to people whom I think it will help. I recommend it to anyone who is seeking the key to success in life in all its aspects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great edition of a great book--the very best, June 7 2006
Napoleon Hill's classic book, "Think and Grow Rich," has been around for a long time, since 1937 in fact. There are numerous different editions on the market today. This one is head and shoulders above all the others. It not only restores content that is left out of most editions of the book since the 1960s, it also provides (in its endnotes) a thoughtful analysis of Napoleon Hill, his era, the people he interviewed, and the Think and Grow Rich philosophy itself. If you want to really understand Napoleon Hill and Think and Grow Rich, you will find this book to be indespensible. I read this new edition cover to cover and compared every page with the pages of the little 256-page version published by Ballentine Books, which up until now has been the most popular version and the one you usually see in bookstores. Try it for yourself. There's no comparison, in terms of features or ease of reading and understanding. It's like comparing gold and lead. Somewhere in one of these reviews a reviewer said that this "Restored and Revised" edition was replacing the one she used to keep on her shelves. That's ditto for me. It is just a great, great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I owe everything to this book, May 27 2006
I was introduced to "Think and Grow Rich!" by an alcoholic member of our cemetery sales team. I had a wife and three children at the time, and we were just barely making it. My only source of income was the commissions I made knocking on doors selling cemetery property, and they were hard to come by, especially since almost nobody was a permanent resident in the Miami area. Reading "Think and Grow Rich!" gave me a crutch to lean on as I forced myself out to pound those doors where the potential prospects were. If my family was going to eat, I had to convince people to buy cemetery property 30 or 40 or more years before they would need it. The Six-Step Success Formula the book contains helped me to realize that there was a way even for an uneducated lunkhead like me to make it like the big guys. I followed the success formula faithfully, and, lo and behold, my whole life turned around. I truly believe that Dr. Hill has the same message the Bible has for us. It was just little easier for me to apply. I went on to build the largest cemetery organization in the country starting out from my basement. In 1970, we sold 30 cemeteries to Service Corporation International, making it possible for them to become the largest funeral-cemetery company in the world. I served as President of their Cemetery Division for three years. I'm now 82 years old, living comfortably on the shores of Lake Hartwell with my wife of 62 years. Almost all my good fortune came about because I had the good fortune to be introduced to "Think and Grow Rich!" in 1953. (This new addition of the book is actually closer to the one I read back then. The versions sold since the 1960s omit a lot of material that Mr. Cornwell has put back in.) I have given away many cases of this great book. It was required reading in my company and in my family, and it has made a difference in a lot of the people's lives who were given the opportunity to make it part of their lives. Thank you, Ross Cornwell, for this wonderful "added value" new edition of the book that has meant everything to me -- and for giving me this opportunity to look back and appreciate how really important all of this is and what a difference it has made in my life and the lives of so many others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect study tool, for success, Aug. 20 2005
Reading and assimilating the principles spelled out in "Think and Grow Rich" can be an astounding life-changing experience. I know. I read it more than thirty years ago, I re-read it at least once every year, and I believe it to be responsible for every success I have attained since reaching adulthood. I have in my library almpost every edition of this book that has been published, including the first, a rare 1937 copy. I was delighted several months ago to find this new edition that is without a doubt the finest, most useful I have ever read. It is actually better than the 1937 book. It has features that I have never seen in any other edition-an extremely useful index; a good appendix; and hundreds of endnotes that provide a tremendous amount of information about the people and events he mentions in the book and which clarify many points of Dr. Hill's philosophy. Virtually every version of TGR available today is an abridgment of Dr. Hill's 1937 original. Those that are not abridged are outdated or else they distort Napoleon Hill's message. This new book restores all material that has been left out, but it cleans up some incorrect grammar and obsolete language and some terminology that could be considered offensive today. I have long urged just about everybody I meet to study Napoleon Hill's philosophy, and I now urge them to use this new book to do it. It has long been my custom to give copies of TGR to every young adult I meet who I believe has the potential to achieve significant and even great things in life. This book is the perfect "study tool" for personal success.

5.0 out of 5 stars I owe everything to this book, March 31 2005
Dick Herbert (Anderson, South Carolina) - See all my reviews
Two of my most useful tools in the book are the poem "My Wage" ("I bargained with Life for a penny...") and "If You Think You Are Beaten" ("Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man..."). I truly believe that Dr. Hill has the same message the Bible has for us. It was just little easier for me to apply. I went on to build the largest cemetery organization in the country starting out from my basement on Concord Avenue in Anderson, S. C. In 1970, we sold 30 cemeteries to Service Corporation International, making it possible for them to become the largest funeral-cemetery company in the world. I served as President of their Cemetery Division for three years.
I'm now 82 years old, living comfortably on the shores of Lake Hartwell with my wife of 62 years. Almost all my good fortune came about because I had the good fortune to be introduced to "Think and Grow Rich!" in 1953. (This new addition is actually closer to the one I read back then. The versions sold since the 1960s omit a lot of material that Ross Cornwell has put back in.) I have given away many cases of this great book. It was required reading in my company and in my family, and it has made a difference in a lot of the people's lives who were given the opportunity to make it part of their lives.

Think and Grow Rich
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill (Mass Market Paperback - May 12 1987)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54