4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful knowledge of Mexico
I found this novel to contain wonderful knowledge of Mexico. My only complaint is that there is so so much about bull fighting. Far too much, I think. It is as though there is no other aspect of Mexican life that Mr. Michener cared to include. Mexico is also know for its food, music, dance, religous culture, and so much more.
Published 6 months ago by Annethistle

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Dissapointing
Since I have read two of Michener's other works- The Source and Poland- and found them fascinating and riveting and found Michener to be a fine writer , , I had expected something similar with Mexico.
And he certainly shows his talent for fine historical narrative in parts of the book.
Taking us through a journey into the history of Toledo, in Mexico, through...
Published on May 31 2003 by Gary Selikow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful knowledge of Mexico, Oct. 12 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Dissapointing, May 31 2003
This review is from: Mexico (Mass Market Paperback)
Taking us through a journey into the history of Toledo, in Mexico, through the decline of a great nation of builders, through their discovery the drug, pulque found in the Maguey plant, the rebellion by a brave Altomec Queen against the diabolic human sacrifice rites to a strange and terrible deity, the story of conquistadors and robust émigrés in Mexico from the defeated Confederacy after the American Civil War, and the reign of terror of the blood thirsty revolutionary leader General Gurza, all add to a rich tapestry.
Alas, this part of the book is far too short, and Michener spends most of the novel with an endless saga about a bullfighting tournament.
I find absolutely nothing inspiring about this unfair and cruel sport, and do not find anything in bullfighting which reminds me ' of the principles by which life should be led' as remarked by one of the characters.
The characterization in these chapters, was glossed over, and only the bullfighting tournament itself was detailed, leading to huge gaps in the book which where not interesting to read, and only read to get to the shorter more interesting ride into history. A pity because there was rich material with which to work.
Although , to be fair he does artfully put it together again , in the last chapter.

3.0 out of 5 stars MORE THAN I EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT BULLFIGHTING, March 21 2004
Jeff Howard (South Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexico (Paperback)
Michener says it himself in the closing pages of MEXICO: There has to be more to Mexico than bullfighting. But in reading this novel about the country, you would hardly know it. Set around a journalist, Norman Clay, who is covering a bullfight, the reader is offered only tempting tidbits of what Mexico has to offer. I read JM's TEXAS, last year, which contained large portions that included descriptions and events in Mexico. I assumed MEXICO would be more in depth and touch upon the rich culture of the Aztecs. I was somewhat disappointed.
Though MEXICO did provide glimpses into the past of the Indians living in Mexico before the Spaniards came, the clashes with Cortez and the Conquistadors was sorely missing. The Spanish rape of Mexico was barely tapped and I really wanted to read more about the politics that shaped today's nation of Mexico. JM shortchanged the Mexican and Mexico with this book. TEXAS was so brilliantly written, I guess lightening couldn't strike twice.
On the up side, I learned more than I ever wanted to know about bullfighting. Though brief, the sections on the early Indians and the building of the pyramids was vivid and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Master storyteller, fascinating history, Jan. 27 2004
This review is from: Mexico (Mass Market Paperback)
This is actually my first experience with Michener, who I've always been curious about. I am so impressed that I can't wait to begin another one of his fabulous tales. He's a wonderful writer, one who can balance the details of bullfighting with history with rich characters and an enjoyable story. The writer uses bullfighting to tell the story and there may be more details on the sport than you care to read, but they take up a small space in the whole novel. To Michener fans, it may not be the best, but I definitely think it's worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hope you like bullfighting, Nov. 28 2003
This review is from: Mexico (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read many Michener novels, and enjoyed almost all of them. 'Mexico', however, is terrible.
If you set out to read this slow-moving behemoth, then you'd better *really* like bullfighting. There are just so many long and boring sections on the topic. It was such a struggle to get through it all.
The early parts on Aztec culture were fine, but after that I almost needed to tape my eyelids open. Talk about dull and dry. I couldn't wait for it to finish.
If you are tempted to read this book, slap yourself a few times and go and get 'Alaska' or 'Chesapeake' instead. Please.

3.0 out of 5 stars overall a good book, July 25 2003
HopeP (Agoura Hills, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexico (Mass Market Paperback)
This was not a book I couldn't put down at times. I got bogged down with some of the bullfighting details, and my mind wandered when the story veered in the direction of Spain. The early days of Mexico with ritualized human sacrifice was disturbing/graphic. But overall it was typical Michener, long, detailed, historical, and accurate. As with Space, it was hard to get "into" the story in the beginning. Despite a long pause in the middle I did read the whole story. It left me wanting to read other fictionalized historical books on Mexico. I am glad I read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Dissapointing, May 31 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great....., Feb. 19 2003
Jeffrey Roberts (Long Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexico (Mass Market Paperback)
If this wasn't Michener, I may have given it 3 stars.....The story was great, a little long and there were parts that should have been left out, but very interesting.....I learned a lot about mexican history, bullfighting and the relationship between mexico and the u.s.

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me, Oct. 20 2002
This review is from: Mexico (Mass Market Paperback)
Mexico as seen by a "wasp" anti-Catholic gringo who doesn't get it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pales in comparison to his other novels I have read, Aug. 12 2002
Frank C. Sulka (Euclid, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexico (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the 12th Michener novel I have read. I have my own internal rating system similar to school grades. Two have been A's, nine have been B's, and this book stands currently as the lone C. Overall I think it is a fairly enjoyable book with more history than the average book, but less than the Michener books I have read so far. I think in fairness to Michener, I am judging this novel against his other work and that is why it "pales" in comparison, as my title states. I really enjoyed the detail that went into the bullfighting aspect of the novel, but I would have prefered it not being the central event that the story ties into, which essentially the festival is.
In the event you are interested, the two A's were Alaska and The Bridge at Andau. Alaska being classic historical Michener and The Bridge at Andau being real history that Michener literally was involved in.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb1de4114)

Mexico
Mexico by James A. Michener (Mass Market Paperback - March 2 1994)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89