5.0 out of 5 stars another great follett historical work

Published on Oct. 8 2002 by Michael A. Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars another great follett historical work, Oct. 22 2003
Matthew Schiariti (new jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Place Called Freedom (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the second Follett book I've read, the first being Pillars of the Earth. Actually, this is only the third review I've written out of the 60 to 70 books I've read over the past couple years but I find myself wanting to express my opinions more and more when I get done with a great read and maybe helping people get exposed to great books they otherwise wouldn't have tried or known about.
While not as wonderful as Pillars of the Earth (I still can't get that book out of my head...definetly one of the best if not THE best I've ever read), this is still a great book. The book has rapid fire pacing but doesn't sacrifice on the details and characterization that suck you into the book. And that's what the focal point of the book is, the characters. You feel their pain, their joy, every emotion that they're going through.
From Scotland, to London, to Virginia, the reader is taken on a journey of treachery, deceit, love, loss and triumph. You feel as if you can reach out and touch the characters.
Follett is fast becomming one of my favorite authors and he's edging his way to the top of the list. You won't want to stop reading this book. I could have easily read it in a day but I decided to stretch it out over a couple days and let each section I read sink in. I don't think I've encountered another author who can weave romance, violence, humor, action and great research as effectively as Ken Follett and this book does all that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, June 6 2014
W. VanB (Burlington, ON) - See all my reviews
If there is one fault in the writings of Follett it is that the story ends. I am not sure that I am happy with an ending like this one. No real wrap up, you think about it and you figure out where it goes. Perhaps he was looking at a larger epic and then ran out of steam. Engaging story and well written. Of course... it is a Follett.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, May 24 2014
This book did not fail my expectations. Another page turner, never wanted it to end .
Not much more to say. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Engaging Tale, Aug. 26 2008
David Palmer "dpalmer" (Mtl) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Place Called Freedom (Mass Market Paperback)
For anyone who has given this book five stars, you either haven not read enough or have not read any of Ken Follets true masterpieces. None the less this novel was quite captivating, as the plot turned out to be excitingly progressive full of memorable moments that often make the book hard to put down. The character depth as in most of Ken Follet's books was quite rich, which makes reading the novel a lot more attractive.

The story starts off with a young Scottish coal miner strugglling to obtain his right to be free. The book revolves around this personal struggle of his and is easily the main theme of the book. No matter where he is, he seems to find himself being taken advantage of, being kept down by those whom consider themselves better. His inability to accept the idea that being rich makes you above the law and better then the working class makes it possible for Mack to establish a relationship with a young women by the name of Lizzie. As the story progresses their paths become ever more entwined as he can't seem to break away from the Jamisson family, a family Lizzie eventually becomes part of, whom work tirelessly to keep Mack from achieving anything.

The book, as written, is broken up into three sections. Each one is comprised of the locality in which Mack finds himself. The transition from each place is very well done, as certain reoccuring themes and characters are present within each section. All in all the book was quite entertaining and the ending leaves you satisfied as it wraps up quite nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Follett, Great Characters and Story, Oct. 28 2003
Bill Garrison (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Place Called Freedom (Mass Market Paperback)
After one chapter, I knew how the story would end, but that didn't change my enjoyment of A Place Called Freedom. Follett explores the life of lowly coal miner Mac who longs to be free and free-spirited Lizzie who has a disdain for the social classes of her time.
Still she marries Jay Jamison and she truly loves him. Jay Jamison is an interesting Follett character. This book compares with a Dangerous Fortune in plot and scope, but that book had clearly defined good and evil characters. Jay and Lizzie were in love, and through actions of their family, their love was destroyed. Still, to the end Jay always cared for Lizzie. Still, his devotion to power and greed and to please his family mattered more.
Follett is great at developing characters and educating the reader on the certain time period. Follett details the day to day life and the character's interaction with social norms very well.
I haven't read too many of Follet's WWII novels or spy novels and look forward to moving on to those. I've read six Follett books, and only the Third Twin was bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars HISTORICAL DRAMA AT ITS BEST, Aug. 30 2003
This review is from: Place Called Freedom (Mass Market Paperback)
If you enjoyed Pillars of the Earth as much as I did, then you're going to enjoy this book as well. As with Pillars, the action starts from page one and keeps going - his focus on pacing is what sets him apart and what makes his books so much fun to read. A few reviews tied the story to Far and Away (the Cruise/Kidman flick), in my opinion I think that's quite a stretch - this is not a love story first and a quest for freedom second tale - it's a little of both, but it's mainly about the struggles of the classes.
I you already like Ken Follett, then you must read this outing. He keeps the pages turning and his eye on historical accuracy is dead-one (he's been guilty of gross anacronisms in a few of his works).
If you haven't read his books, then give yourself a treat and pick this up, I promise you won't be bummed. After that, read Pillars of the Earth, which is probably one of the best books out there (check out all the reviews - many feel the same).
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, July 14 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Place Called Freedom (Mass Market Paperback)
What an excellent book! I read this in less than a week. I couldn't seem to put it down. Ken Follett does such an excellent job with describing all of his characters and scenes. I felt like I was right there with Lizie. I have recommended this book to all of my friends. This was the first Follett book that I have read and am now hooked to his books. He doesn't just tell one story, he tells many and interweaves them with each other. It had several twists and turns up to the last page. READ IT, READ IT, READ IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD BOOK, May 1 2003
sanjeev sood (MUMBAI (INDIA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Place Called Freedom (Mass Market Paperback)
This is another good book by Follet. Though not in the league of "the pillars of the earth","night over water"etc....
it still holds you.A story from a bye gone era.. This enthralls you, read it if you are a follet fan.
I dont miss his books at all, as i am a die ... of Follet. Anything he writes i will devour religiously.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the Road Follett, Oct. 8 2002
This review is from: Place Called Freedom (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read several of Follett's works and generally cannot get enough of them. This one is historical in nature yet the story is not as compelling as some of Follett's other works (Pillars of the Earth, A Dangerous Fortune). Some of the plot is predictible. However, it does have some likable characters and the book seems to be well paced. All in all it is better than most books but not quite up to Follett's usual high standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining epic romantic adventure, Aug. 18 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Place Called Freedom (Mass Market Paperback)
Well-plotted, well-written and evocative. Good characters. I promise you will be hooked. Brings to mind the film "Far and Away" with a dash of "The Patriot".

Place Called Freedom
Place Called Freedom by Ken Follett (Mass Market Paperback - June 30 1996)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89