5.0 out of 5 stars No Visible Wounds
My copy of this book is dog-eared. It was the most helpful printed material I read as I fled from my abusive marriage the final time.
Published on Jan. 5 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars No Visible Wounds
It is another books that tells you how to get out, but not how you got there (with an emotional abuser) in the first place. What is it about us that causes us to end up with emotional abusers? Lack of options? Low self-esteem? Must be something deeper.
Published on Feb. 11 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars No Visible Wounds, Jan. 5 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: No Visible Wounds: Identifying Non-Physical Abuse of Women by Their Men (Paperback)
Mary Susan Miller writes with incredible insight and sensitivity, and effectively identifies the complexities of nonphysical battering. If you are in an abusive relationship, get this book. If you have a friend in an abusive relationship, get it for her. If neither of the above apply, donate a copy to your local Domestic Violence Shelter. Every abused woman should have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's legal to drive someone crazy, Sept. 26 2002
This book is the ONLY book that describes the verbal/emotional
abuse of "Gaslighting", psychological abuse that subtly debilitates and destroys a person's mind. The worst abuse is a man stealing his wife's personal items and telling his wife that "something is wrong" with their child,then asking the wife to question the and spank the child for stealing--- and then telling the child to "not upset Mommy because she is crazy and can't help it". This torture has been used to steal family money, to destroy a mother/child relationship and to ensure that the wife come under complete control of the husband. Read this book if you have been abused severely. It is of help to know that others exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Any Woman, Dec 8 2001
Timothy's (Pottsville, PA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to help a friend of mine in an abusive situation, but it also taught me a few things about my own life. I highly recommend this book for any woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, Dec 8 2001
Timothy's (Pottsville, PA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to help a friend out, and it made me learn a few things about my own marriage. I highly recommend this book to any woman, whether you are having problems or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stark Reality, Sept. 11 2001
Patricia B. Ross (Wellesley, MA USA) - See all my reviews
In our historic quest of honor and patriotic bravery, America has often forgotten the honor and bravery of protection and preservation in its human relationships as this spectacular book clearly shows. It applies equally well to men and to women since both are subject to the verbal and emotional abuses of each other when we allow ourselves to ignore the needs and sensitivities of others, especially our spouses. It is an excellent anthology on the behaviors which we sometimes ignore as abusive, or justify as legitimate, despite the damage they cause to the intimacies we are pledged to uphold in the vows we take when we are first married. It also does an excellent job of showing how such treatment is neglected in the courts and before judges who are rooted in the old fashioned leverage of justice where equality and equal treatment are not a part of civility, and the grandeur of chivalry (by males or females) is long forgotten as a part of our expectations. It shows why communications fail, why they are unlikely to be fixed, and why persons tend to stay with spouses who are abusive either to provide a stable environment for their children, or because much needed public services and support are not available to address their needs. It should be a required reading for all human relations training.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Visible Wounds, Feb. 11 2001
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This book accurately describes and validates what I lived., Nov. 10 1999
By A Customer
I found this book just by chance. What a fortunate accident! Miller's description of men just like my now-ex-husband amazed me. Even so, at first I considered the book kind of simple. Then the memories started coming back, from two decades of marriage. His cutting remarks and actions that left me emotionally lost suddenly made sense. My always-failing attempts to make myself better for him, to make our marriage and family better, suddenly looked preposterous. A year after reading this book, old memories still surface with a profound new perspective. No Visible Wounds is not at all simple. It is enormously enlightening and liberating. I highly recommend this book. I am giving it to my own parents, who still don't understand why I divorced him, who this cruel man (they think he's delightful and sincere) still has wrapped around his little finger.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is essential for peopleraised in the United States, Jan. 11 1999
By A Customer
As a counselor in the field of domestic violence, specifically working with women's groups, I feel I've finally found a thorough explanation of men's non-physical abuse of women in our society. Dr. Miller does a phenomenal job of peeling the onion, i.e. defining and explaining all the convoluted reasoning behind men who control women by any means necessary. Dr. Miller calls this behavior what it is ABUSE. She points out that we are socialized to deny and accept and cover up domestic abuse. My favorite line is her description of our society's response to domestic violence, including non-physical abuse, as one of "learned helplessness". This book is enlightening for those who work with women in abusive relationships, for the women themselves and for all of us living in a culture that creates, reinforces and perpetuates abuse against women.

5.0 out of 5 stars A manual for women who are victims of emotional abuse by men, Nov. 20 1998
When I stumbled across No Visible Wounds, I felt I had found an ally in Mary Susan Miller. I have written my own book, Living On A Dream: A Marriage Tale, about my mother, a wife who fits the profile of the psychologically abused woman, as described by Dr. Miller. This book is a powerful one, a wake up call for many. Hers is a knowledgable voice about a subject that is rarely given the notice that it deserves. The problem of emotional battering has been overshadowed by the more visible problem of physical battering of women by men. No Visible Wounds is a hidden dilemma,and Mary Susan Miller's book is the important, and prehaps, the only qualitative book on the subject. Every woman should read this book, because it affects many, those who hide and deny, and those who know someone, a friend, or neighbor who lead lives of desperation. This book ranks alongside the other Dr. Miller's famous book, Alice Miller's Drama of the Gifted Child, a.k.a., Prisoners of Childhood.

ARRAY(0xb371700c)

No Visible Wounds: Identifying Non-Physical Abuse of Women by Their Men
No Visible Wounds: Identifying Non-Physical Abuse of Women by Their Men by Mary Susan Miller Ph.D. (Paperback - Oct. 8 1996)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16