Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kindle Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

• It

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on November 21, 1999
This is the best book i have ever read in my life im only 13 years old but this is the book to buy.I have read this book twice and i would read it again if i get it back from my friend.This book is so realistic when it comes to childhood,I wish this book went on forever but unfortunately it can't.The begginig may be slow but it really picks up and when it does you can't put the book down and you are always thinking.I liked the parts when they were children and they are digging an underground fort.Near the end it gets really spooky,the way stephen king describes the town how it is empty and all 7 kids know this is when they need to put an end to the horror that lies beneath.It is sad near the end when they all start forgetting about each other and you start growing attached to the characters that you don't want to let go.This book is the best thing to ever happen to me.It is depressing to finish because that ends all the joy and fear and surprise.You must read this book i know 1,000 pages is alot but you will understand why childhood is so important.
on April 20, 1999
After viewing the movie 6+ times, I just HAD to find and read the book. The movie is an outstanding piece of cinemography that I use in several of my high school classes (Creative Writing, Film and Drama, and American Literature & Writing). Because I find the movie's ending very anti-climactic, I stop the tape just as the "Losers" enter the tiny door to Its lair. Then, I have the students write their own endings. I find all of their endings to be very creative and, in many ways, more satisfying than the filmed ending (...I wish I could share some of the ideas the students came up with...very impressive). I really enjoyed the book's ending, using the Ritual of Chud and the psychic struggle between, first the young Bill, and then the much older Bill, Richie and Eddie. I also really liked the ways Mr. King describes Georgie's terror at opening the basement door and grabbing the wax, and Bill's experience in a college writing course (very realistic). His description of how It first came to Derry is pretty cool too. All of these things should have been included in the movie version. Still, these few things weren't enough to make the book as a whole very satisfying or overly enjoyable. I found King's use of profanity distracting, to say the least, as was his continual jumping from the present to the past and back again. The book tended to drag out with pages of exposition and literary "Stuff." It could have been shortened by 500 pages and not have lost any of the important information needed to make the story complete. The book was a let down, because of its sheer bulk and excessive use of foul language. Its 1090 pages were difficult to get through and I was relieved to reach the end.
on June 2, 1998
I've read the other reviews, all proving why King is a gazillionaire, while I'm a schmuck. Nevertheless, I thought IT was a dissapointing waste of time. The first King book I ever read was The Stand, a book so good that I've probably read it six times in the last decade. On the strength of The Stand, I wanted to read more King. IT was my next effort. This thing plods. It drags. You get the point about 100 pages in. After that it's the same basic thing again and again and again and AGAIN AND AGAIN AND ARRRGGHHH! By about 500 pages the only thing that kept me going was the old well-I've-already-invested-this-much-time-in-it-I-may-as-well-see-how-it-ends attitude. By page 700 I was growling to myself "this thing better have one killer ending."
Surprise, surprise. It fizzles big time.
And what's with King's fascination with pubescent sex? All of a sudden this young (10-ish, as I recall) girl suddenly decides the only way to beat the bad guy is to have sex with six boys back to back. I thought that was cheap, sleazy, and insulting.
Since then I've read a few more King efforts. All seemed thin and exploitive. Stick with The Stand. END
on January 5, 2000
I am a huge fan of Stephen King, but as far as I'm concerned, he dropped the ball on this one. Don't get me wrong; this book is as scary and atmospheric as anything he has written. Most of it is very good, and the length did not bother me until I got to the end. The payoff, where what "IT" is is revealed, was so lame and unconvincing (I won't say what it turned out to be, but it was an old, tired horror-movie cliche) that I was completely turned off. I couldn't help feeling that King spent most of the time he was writing this book with absolutely no idea what the mysterious monster was going to be. That's why the book starts out so well; as long as the mystery remains, it is a gripping, scary story. But when the time came to reveal the monster, I can't help but feel that King just couldn't come up with anything, so he threw together a slapdash ending and stuck it on the book to meet his deadline. a MAJOR disappointment.
on April 27, 2000
The book Stephen Kings IT is an ok book. Because it is scary book and it begins to be scary when "Georgie was being pulled toward that terrible darkness where the water rushed and roared and bellowed as it bore its cargo of storm debris toward the sea." Also it goes into detail and talks about how the people die and its pretty graohic. The book can be confusing at times cause it would sometimes jump from scene to scene and sometimes the reader wouldn't even know what was happening for example it went from a tradgic death to an event that happened later and it didnt even minchen what happened so the reader would get lost. The book could be suspenseful at times especilly when the reader knew somthing was about to happen and the character didn't and it was like you wanted to tell them but you couldn't thats how its supenseful otherwise the book was ok.
on July 19, 2000
The original concept of the novel is quite exciting: a group of adults return to their hometown, where the nightmare of their childhood haunts their dreams once again. This idea is enriched with all of King's standard schemes: '50s & rock'n'roll, the misery of the countrylife in Maine, children with supernatural powers and a lot of magic. This story could occupy no more than 200 pages. Instead, the novel is unecessarily long and boring, with imcomprehensibly extended descriptions. Some parts of it (especially the final encounter with "It") are almost silly. I think that the author attached various pieces he had written in other circumstances, for other works - some sort of his "relics". That's how I explain the apparent lack of cohesion. I don't say it's uninspried, but it's certainly uninspiring. Only for King's fanatics...
on February 1, 1997
That is the sound that a Stephen King novel makes as it enters its final forty pages. King is almost unmatched in his ability to entice a reader into his stories, much like Pennywise the clown entices children to their death in "IT." Stephen King so often promises great rewards and leads the reader to believe that the end will be worth being engrossed in 400-plus pages of prose, but with the exception of "The Stand," he lures the reader into his web and then rewards the reader with a fate worse than death by Pennywise, a wasted read. Could it be that Stephen King himself is the ultimate embodiment of evil to the reading world
on May 21, 2000
Stephen King now has so much power as a bestselling author that I guess no editor has the nerve to tell him that his stories would be much more effective is he just cut out, oh, say three hundred pages or so. "It" isn't by far King's only example of literary bloat, just one of the more unfortunate. His pure horror works have become increasingly erratic over the years, though this was actually one of his scarier concepts. Unfortunately, it takes so long to get to the payoff that by the time it comes you scarcely care. King's biggest fear these days seems to be the "Horror of the Black Marker."
on June 18, 1999
This book was way too long. King crafted some very believable BOY children, but the role of the one girl was inexcusably offensive and exploitative. I have to admit that this is the most terrifying novel I have ever read. But despite its effective frightening powers, because of the bad plotting, outrageous sexism, lack of economy of writing, and horribly lame ending, I have to give it only two stars. My hope is that King will rewrite it someday to salvage what is, underneath, an overwhelmingly scary and good book.
on October 2, 1999
I read this book in about 3 weeks, which is long for me, since I usually finish in about a week with a book. I finished the first 200 pages in one day and after that it went VERY slow. It could of been slimmed 200 - 300 pages and been fine, but I had to read boring interludes, and hear fifth graders swear constantly. I don't think it was realistic and the sexual references were sometimes needed, but mostly not. I think King was more worried about having a long book, than having a good one.