5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking of a Medical Career?
Published on March 21 2002 by mstngjason

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read at times.
Published on July 21 1999 by Tam Sesto

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking of a Medical Career?, March 21 2002
"mstngjason" (Fort Stewart, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This novel is certainly not the standard thriller type that readers have seen from Cook before. That being said, I literally did not put this book down until it was finished. Cook makes the reader feel like you are going through the that year personally. The vivid details and strong main character development really draw you in. This book certainly will give a great deal of food for thought for the med school hopeful. For anyone who is or will be a hospital paitent it is very disturbing to read how lost a new intern is. For the reader looking for information or thought read this. For the reader looking for pure entertainment...try a different Cook novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, July 5 2004
By A Customer
I have been a frequent reader of Robin Cook's books since I was probably 14 or 15. Now, at 19, I read this book last year shortly before leaving for college. Since I am hoping to eventually go to medical school, I figured this would be a book to read and it was. I absolutely loved every single second of it and could hardly put it down. This is definitely a book for anyone interested in medicine to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attention Pre-Med Students: How Life as an MD Really is, Sept. 25 2003
By A Customer
Dr. Cook once again has written a masterpiece. This book differs from his medical thrillers, however, provides insight to the lay man about the perils new MD's must go through. If you really want to know what your doctor is thinking read this!
MD in training

5.0 out of 5 stars Insight into the mind of an Intern, Aug. 10 2003
By A Customer
This is a great book. Whether you like Robin Cook or not you should give this book a read. His first novel and very different to his thrillers, this book follows the journey of an intern's mind through his year placement. It will certainly give people a different perspective of the medical world. The book was written in the 70's but somehow (sadly) I don't think the life of a fledging doctor has changed to this day...

4.0 out of 5 stars the best of the 'Cook books' I've read, Feb. 5 2002
By A Customer
I stumbled on this book by finding a checkout slip in a library book (Virus X) and being a biologist with an interest in the medical field, wondered if these book written by a 'real doctor' might be marvelous. I got really interested when I saw how many book were written by Robin Cook. Someone must love his writing style in order to keep publishing his works, right?!?!? Well, this one is the only one of the 4 I've read that were worth my time! A revealing look at the life-style of the 'captive' intern jumping through the hoops necessary to make it to the 'real world of medicine'. The sleep deprivation, the 'old boy' school, the dissing of the intern by those further along the path. Sad but true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book written by excellent author read by ..., June 30 2000
I dont like medical dramas writtem nowadays but Cook's Intern is one of most beautiful medical dramas I have ever read (2 of them so far.) the description of all that happened is so realistic, that one begins to think how it really goes. I have read this book in Slovak language, but I... I just like this book. Congratulations Mr. Cook!

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read at times., July 21 1999
The Year of the Intern is not a good book. If your wanting a good medical thriller to read, this is not the Robin Cook book for you. Though fiction, it reads as non-fiction as Cook takes us into the life of a medical student's internship in Hawaii. I struggled, at times, to understand the medical jargon which took away from any enjoyment I might have been getting from reading the book.

ARRAY(0xab159dd4)

The Year of the Intern
The Year of the Intern by Robin Cook (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1981)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01