5.0 out of 5 stars Spine-tingling pleasure!
Having seen the movie more than a few times, I thought it was time to finally read the book. I had heard that the novel was scarier than the film, and I was NOT disappointed. The author has said that this is the only book he's written that has ever truly scared him, and within a few chapters, it was obvious why.

While I don't want to give too much away for...
Published 3 months ago by Goo Goo

3.0 out of 5 stars A little worn
Item a little worn, but was as described in the advertisement. Because of the rarity of this particular Stephen King book, I will keep it.
Published 8 months ago by Lynda Trotter

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine-tingling pleasure!, April 16 2014

While I don't want to give too much away for those who have not seen the film or are unfamiliar with the direction that this chilling tale takes, I will say this: "Pet Sematary" isn't intensely affecting and disturbing only because of its premise (a burial ground that has the power to resurrect the dead), nor the questions posed by the premise (is the person you put in the ground the same person that comes out?). What really makes the novel so simultaneously human and ethereal is the portrayal of the lengths to which characters are willing to go to get back their loved ones - even if the only thing they are really resurrecting is some ancient evil. This novel is at once heartbreaking, suspenseful, terrifying, and at times, even witty. King manages to be both eloquent and crude, a unique mixture that produces a book that, in spite of its fantastical happenings, seems just a touch too believable (making it even eerier).

While the cinematic adaptation of the novel is surely enjoyable, it's a bit campy, and the acting (at times) leaves something to be desired. Some liberties were taken with the ending in the film - the novel leaves more to the imagination and yet manages to be immeasurably scarier. Obviously, the book offers greater insight and background in regards to the characters and their histories. Although the movie was at times creepy, I found the novel to be exponentially more effective at frightening me.

My bottom line? If you like literature that deals with the supernatural, or just feel like having the crap scared out of you, buy this book. Just make sure you've got some cocoa and a big, comforting blanket to snuggle up with afterwards - you'll need it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little worn, Nov. 20 2013
This review is from: Pet Sematary (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Buy, Must Read!, Feb. 23 2012
This was my second King book ever, and has been tied for my favourite (along with Cujo) ever since. I do suggest reading Cujo before Pet Sematary as there is a small reference in Pet Sematary to Cujo.. Must, must, must read this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bloated, Not So Novel Novel, July 13 2004
Orangeman "C.A.B.34" (Tallahassee, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(...)P>Others have commented on the fact that this novel borrows much from The Monkey's Paw. The idea of the Mic Mac burial ground is interesting, particularly the shadowy presence of the Wendigo, but growing up in New England as he did, it's difficult to determine just how much of the concept of Pet Cemetary was inspired, and how much was simply King putting a new coat of paint on an old short story with the obligatory childhood horrors, family mundanities, and heavy-handed foreshadowing thrown in for good measure.
There were some interesting moments and ideas in this book, but few of them were realized, and what little was of interest was buried in 100 to 200 unnecessary pages of foreshadowing (someone's gonna get run over, we GET it!) and the obligatory King tales of childhood suffering. Top it off with a disappointing and (IMO) downright irritating ending (hmmmm, dead cat and kid are evil, let's repeat this mistake shall we?) and this is an annoying snoozer.
Far too much build-up for no payoff.

5.0 out of 5 stars BURIED SECRETS, April 5 2001
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Dr. Louis Creed moves from Chicago to rural Maine with his wife, Rachel and children, Ellie (5) and Gage (1). The fresh start in Maine appears to be the change Creed yearns for. A bad relationship with his father-in-law, the redoubtable Irwin Goldman and soured on city living, Maine appears to be the answer to his questions.
Set in 1983-1984, Creed appears to be the picture of the 1980s YUPPIE (Young Urban Professional). Established in his career with the ability to relocate also point up to this very positive, professional image.
Each character is drawn with realistic words; each character becomes vivid and believable, again evidence of a master storyteller. My favorite part in this book was Creed's "last happy day, 3/24/84," the day he spent flying kites with Gage, then just 2.
Once settled in Maine, life and death appear to shift and the line dividing the two becomes blurry and indistinct, thanks to King's superb storytelling. A graveyard for pets dating back to the early 20th Century is near the Creed home and a very chilling secret lurks there.
Death appears to lurk in every corner of the small town. First, the Creed cat is killed by a truck on the truck infested roadway near their home. Gage is killed in May of 1984 after he darts away from Creed and into the path of an oncoming truck. Rachel describes the agonizing death of her older sister Zelda in 1965 when Zelda was 10 and Rachel 8. Rachel's fear of death causes her to lash out at Creed when he gently explains the death of the cat to Ellie; she refuses to attend a neighbor's funeral and barely gets through Gage's.
Creed uncovers the mystery of the Pet Sematary (so spelled by local children who have buried their pets there) and uses what he has learned to make the dividing line between life and death questionable and indistinct.
This is one of King's best stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, March 27 2010
Sarah Lynn Barnim "Sarah B." (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
If you let your imagination run rampant while reading this book, you will scare yourself! It's a great book to read, especially if you have pets...lol

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stephen King novel, Oct. 9 2009
Stephen King at his best!
Pet Sematary was recommended to me by my daugther and I agree entirely with her recommendation.
For amateurs of horror, you cannot find any better than this book.
It will take your breath away and shake you inside out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 26 2006
Sophie (Montreal,QC Canada) - See all my reviews
Pet Sematary is probably my second favorite book from Stephen King. The story is good from the beginning until the end of the book. Read the book before listening the movie (the book is more interesting because there is more details than in the movie). If you like the books of Stephen King you must read this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars For me - this is the scariest book ever written, July 14 2004
Mark J. Fowler "Let's Play Two!" (Blytheville, Arkansas (The "the" is silent)) - See all my reviews
Different people have different ideas about what is "funny" - same with "scary". If snakes or spiders or great-white sharks scare the peedoodle out of you, then your reaction to a story about them might be different than it might be for, say The Crocodile Hunter.
Stephen King is prolific beyond belief. He is sometimes redundant. In Pet Sematary he wrote a story so compelling that I literally could not put it down, yet at the same time so horrifying that I practically screamed at myself NOT TO TURN THE NEXT PAGE!!!!
King knows a thing or two about humans and human relationships, and in Pet Sematary he creates a realistic family that you care about.... then he does absolutely TERRIFYING things to them. Without giving anything away - I have to say that one of the reasons that this book affected me so deeply is that I had recently become a Dad back when this book first was released, and this book hones in on a new parent's worst nightmares, then just gets worse and worse and worse.
If you like being scared by a book, and you can't think of anything worse than seeing your child killed - this book might hit you like it hit me. I repeat: This is the scariest novel I have ever read.
As an aside: The "scariest book ever" was turned into a fairly cheesy movie. I give the book a solid 5 stars, but wouldn't rate the film any higher than 2 or 3. Another aside: My personal choice for "scariest movie" is "The Exorcist", while I found the novel of "The Exorcist" fairly bland and not paced well enough to scare me.

5.0 out of 5 stars King At His Best, July 1 2004
This review is from: Pet Sematary (Mass Market Paperback)
If you look at the critical acclaim pages of nearly any Stephen King book, you will find that a vast number of sources probably proclaimed the work "Sheer Genius!" "Gripping and Terrifying" and, more often than not, "One of the Scariest Books I'd Ever Read". Ordinarily, I think it fair to say these claims are exaggerations--but not in the case of Pet Sematary.
I've read a good deal of Stephen King's novels (more than half of them), and this one is by far my favorite. It has parts that you wouldn't want to read home alone late at night, but it is far more interesting than just monsters jumping out of shadows...
What made this book so terrifying for me was that it was about human nature, and human reaction to death. The main character in the novel, Louis Creed, unleashes horrors into the world trying to ressurect his dead loved ones...and after the horrors are dealt with, he does it again. Pet Sematary is a deeply emotional book that explores just how far we would be willing to go to cheat death.
If you read just one Stephen King novel, make it this one.

Pet Sematary
Pet Sematary by Stephen King (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 1 1984)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01