5.0 out of 5 stars Very Gripping, Very Entertaining
Now, first of all, I would like to say that, although I haven't read "a lot" of books by Ken Follett, I have now read three. And all three have been worth the time and worth the money. For sure. The Man from St. Petersburg is set mostly in England in the pre-WWII era. The plot of the story is that Feliks, "the man from st. petersburg", is planning...
Published on July 3 2004 by Travis Hebrank

3.0 out of 5 stars Just_a_just_review
This is the 4th Follet book I've read and I would have to say that it is definitely the weakest. The other 3 (Pillars of the Earth, A Dangerous Fortune, Eye of the Needle) were well written and very entertaining. Historical fiction at it's best! However, it cannot be said so for The Man from St. Petersburg.

THE BEGINNING: the novel started off well. It was...
Published 23 months ago by A_Just_Reviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars It could have been so much better!, Aug. 1 2000
Arnold Goldstein (Roslyn Heights, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
Although I read the book quickly, it became impossible to suspend disbelief. The actions of some of the characters simply made no sense... except to move the plot along. While the book has many twists, many were not plausable. The enjoyment of the book, therefore, was signficantly reduced as the actions of the characters (particularly the mother and daughter) became silly. It's too bad becasue Follett is a good writer and "The Man from St. Petersburg" had great potential. "The Eye of the Needle" was far superior - it easily passed the plausability test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Follett's Best Time Period, Aug. 23 1997
D. Lee "Fire Horse" (Thousand Oaks, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
Anyone who has read a lot of Follett knows that he usually chooses a distinct time and place in history for his setting. While Pillars of the Earth (set in 1150) and The Eye of the Needle (WWII) are excellent, this WWI-set novel is a masterpiece. I enjoy anything Follett puts to paper, but this goes beyond even my highest expectations. There are some subtle turns-of-phrase in this work that show us why Follett is a genuis. You will enjoy his Feliks character even when you feel you sometimes shouldn't! A definite 11 on a 1 to 10 scale

2.0 out of 5 stars What's all the fuss about?, Aug. 8 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
I read Eye of the Needle a long time ago and remember enjoying it. So when I saw this book in the library I thought it would be worth reading.
Suspenseful? Maybe the last 5 pages or so. I really only finished the book to see how it ended.
I found many of the characters actions to be preposterous, even in the setting of the novel. In the end I only really liked Walden. Charlotte turns out to be a ditz.
I also didn't enjoy some of the preachiness of the novel, especially the suffragette issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but still an enjoyable read., June 10 2000
Lee F. Bonaldi (Warwick, RI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
Ken Follett captures very well the tone of English High Society in the pre-WWI years. The story is interesting, and this is a quick and easy read. This said, however, I was disappointed in the development of the main characters and much of the plot was implausible. Additionally, Follett has the tendency to romanticize Feliks, who is really an evil and manipulative individual. If you're looking for a book that you can finish on a summer vacation, or read on the beach, this would be a good one to pick up.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book of romance, espionage and history, June 17 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
Ken Follet once again fulfilled my expectations of a good book. This was an excellently written novel about real characters and figures in history with whom we can relate. Feliks, the man from St Petersburg, comes to London to see to some "business" that could change history but ends in an unpredictable way. While he is in London, he meets up with Lady Walden, a woman from his past and learns something which changes his life...The question is: Will this change the course of history?

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining--you won't be disappointed, Dec 4 2003
"jmm114a" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first Ken Follet book, and I couldn't have been more pleased! Follet brilliantly takes the reader back to the pre-World War I/Russian Revolution era in a vivid, yet easy-to-read style. The plot is fast moving and keeps the reader engaged throughout. Follet's only shortfall, from my standpoint, came in his effort to make "the man from St. Petersburg" himself somewhat sympathetic. But overall, this is a good thriller, set in an era which Follet masterfully brings to life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Job by Author, April 7 2002
John G. Hilliard (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
This is not a bad effort from the author but his recent books have been better. It sometimes seemed to me that the story line was moving away from the believable. The story did move very quickly and you can stay interested in the book for many hours at a time. The most fun I got out of the book was the descriptions of the time frame and the tradecraft used. If you are interested in reading some of his earlier works then I would suggest Triple or his best work Pillars of the Earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Oct. 29 1998
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
Follet is a Swiss watch-maker and this book a Rolex among thrillers. The plot ticks along with fantastic pacing and suspense. Secrets come out at incredibly tense moments. With apparent ease, Follet makes the reader care for all the main characters, and two of them want to kill each other. This novel has it ALL: great plot, great characters, great descriptions, great dialogue, great pacing, a great climax. No other novel in the thriller/espionage field comes close.

5.0 out of 5 stars another addictive follett read, May 25 2004
Matthew Schiariti (new jersey) - See all my reviews
Ken Follett has a knack of weaving great fictional tales inside real historical events...the setting of this book is england, at the turn of the 20th century...right before WWI....but in usual follett style, that's just a back drop..WWI isn't the focus of the story..but it adds an element of realism to the characters and events...
as usual, no spoilers...but I will say that it's got everything follett's known for..from great characters, to surprising twists...

4.0 out of 5 stars very good triller, Jan. 10 2004
This review is from: The Man from St. Petersburg (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was a first Follett book I've ever read. It wasn't disappointed at all. I like that book, and I've read it very fast. Story is fast moving and not hard to believe, characters very natural and alive. That book pushed me to read another Follett's stories, and I guess that was most important thing about it. I can't say that is his "top of the top", but anyway it definitely strong four and good point to start with Follett.

The Man from St. Petersburg
The Man from St. Petersburg by Ken Follett (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 5 2003)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54