5.0 out of 5 stars Still using these principles 22 years later!
I first read Alan Lakein's book in 1982. I picked it up 10 years later and was amazed to see how many of the principles had become so much a part of my life I. I was living the book and hadn't even realized it until I picked it up again.
Published on May 12 2004 by Sue Sullivan

1.0 out of 5 stars a joke?
i found this book accidentally and immediately lost it on purpose. heres my take: if you want to get control of your time and your life, begin by making it a personal goal to refrain from reading literature like this. alan lakein cares neither about time management nor about your personal well being. alan lakein got a business degree and wrote books in order to make...
Published on May 5 2002 by josh harmon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still using these principles 22 years later!, May 12 2004
Sue Sullivan (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life (Mass Market Paperback)
One of my favorite principles is to start working on something that's important to you, even if it's 15 minutes at a time. I've done this. Scheduled something I didn't think I had time to do for 15 minutes a week. I certainly could do that. Well, when it's something that I really want, I find the momentum builds and I end up finding the time to do what I need and being really happy that I did.
This book has helped me get in touch with what's really important to me and has helped me live a life I truly value.
Thank you Alan Lakein!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, and down to the point., July 14 2004
Wei Ho "weiho72" (San Gabriel, California USA) - See all my reviews
This book was my first time management book. I've picked up "The Time Trap" by Alec Mackenzie after this reading, and in comparison, this book is much more thorough. The best part about this book I think is the simple idea of prioritizing your to do list. I have started to do this and found myself to be able to get more important things done. It also helps greatly with your concentration for the current task by stating to yourself that this is the most important task to do at the moment. Anyhow, great time management book for newbies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plan & priortize., June 20 2003
W. E. Jung "Tofu Love" (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book heavily emphasizes planning and prioritizing and also offers tips on how to stave off procrastination. There are a few anecdotes about business managers and housewives that, for me, just fill pages, but overall, this is a clearly-written, useful book that offers effective techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up, April 14 2003
By A Customer
Good because Lakein makes accommodation for human nature, and works with it and around it, vs. some such books that assume everyone has the self-discipline of a navy seal. He helps procrastinators and the lazy, as well as those who aren't these things but want to improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make the Most of Your Time!, Feb. 10 2003
David R. Bess (Charleston, WV) - See all my reviews
This little book is an easy read, but is invaluable for the person with many things to do and little time in which to do them. It is essential particularly for the busy executive who wants to work smarter rather than harder. Alan Lakein offers straightforward, no nonsense advice on how to manage time more efficiently.
There are many good points in this volume, and to mention all of them would require a lengthy review. A few of the most outstanding nuggets are as follows:
Set priorities.
Ask Lakein's question - "what is the best use of my time right now?"
Use the Swiss cheese method to reduce intimidating tasks
Employ "The Magic If."
Cut off your escape route.
Since I am a person who savors managing time as wisely as possible, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The small time investment made in reading it will pay dividends many times over in time saved. Get it and see for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Great Value, Feb. 4 2003
I think that virtually any book that you read on time mangement has drawn from the ideas found in this book. It contains straight talking practical advice that if followed will lead you to personal happiness and fulfilment.
He also provides a fast track through the book (go to pages 158, 30, 11) on the back that gets you thinking about and doing the most benificial things quickly. Handy for those that feel they do not have the time to read a whole book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on time management ever written, Oct. 13 2002
By A Customer
I can think of no other book on time management that brings together everything you need to know about managing your time in such a short text. If you read just one book on time management - this is the one! I continue to review this book every couple years to refine my approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top 5 all-time most helpful books., Aug. 25 2002
Patrick J. Morrison "pjm2" (Davie, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this when I was struggling to hold 18 credit hours, a part-time job and a life together and I credit it with helping me turn things around and graduate from college. One of the most clear-headed, sensible books I've ever read, and possibly the one easiest to apply directly to life activities. Buy it, read it, practice it and you will find more value in the time you spend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful !!, July 8 2002
By A Customer
More than just a 'how-to' book;A.Lakein is a real pro.Offers many insights and approaches for maximizing the value of one's time.Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent short book chock full of helpful tips, March 3 2002
What do you really want from life? How do you prioritize and mesh your goals? How do you schedule your time each day to reach your long-range goals, to get the necessary routine tasks out of the way and to have some time for leisure activities? How do you say ï¿noï¿ to demands on your time. How do you avoid procrastination? Want to know? This very short book covers the essentials of time management.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb19cffcc)

How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life by Alan Lakein (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 22 1989)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.57