5.0 out of 5 stars Still using these principles 22 years later!
I first read Alan Lakein's book in 1982. I picked it up 10 years later and was amazed to see how many of the principles had become so much a part of my life I. I was living the book and hadn't even realized it until I picked it up again.
Published on May 12 2004 by Sue Sullivan

1.0 out of 5 stars a joke?
i found this book accidentally and immediately lost it on purpose. heres my take: if you want to get control of your time and your life, begin by making it a personal goal to refrain from reading literature like this. alan lakein cares neither about time management nor about your personal well being. alan lakein got a business degree and wrote books in order to make...
Published on May 5 2002 by josh harmon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still using these principles 22 years later!, May 12 2004
Sue Sullivan (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life (Mass Market Paperback)
One of my favorite principles is to start working on something that's important to you, even if it's 15 minutes at a time. I've done this. Scheduled something I didn't think I had time to do for 15 minutes a week. I certainly could do that. Well, when it's something that I really want, I find the momentum builds and I end up finding the time to do what I need and being really happy that I did.
This book has helped me get in touch with what's really important to me and has helped me live a life I truly value.
Thank you Alan Lakein!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Make the Most of Your Time!, Feb. 10 2003
David R. Bess (Charleston, WV) - See all my reviews
This little book is an easy read, but is invaluable for the person with many things to do and little time in which to do them. It is essential particularly for the busy executive who wants to work smarter rather than harder. Alan Lakein offers straightforward, no nonsense advice on how to manage time more efficiently.
There are many good points in this volume, and to mention all of them would require a lengthy review. A few of the most outstanding nuggets are as follows:
Set priorities.
Ask Lakein's question - "what is the best use of my time right now?"
Use the Swiss cheese method to reduce intimidating tasks
Employ "The Magic If."
Cut off your escape route.
Since I am a person who savors managing time as wisely as possible, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The small time investment made in reading it will pay dividends many times over in time saved. Get it and see for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, and down to the point., July 14 2004
Wei Ho "weiho72" (San Gabriel, California USA) - See all my reviews
This book was my first time management book. I've picked up "The Time Trap" by Alec Mackenzie after this reading, and in comparison, this book is much more thorough. The best part about this book I think is the simple idea of prioritizing your to do list. I have started to do this and found myself to be able to get more important things done. It also helps greatly with your concentration for the current task by stating to yourself that this is the most important task to do at the moment. Anyhow, great time management book for newbies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Great Value, Feb. 4 2003
I think that virtually any book that you read on time mangement has drawn from the ideas found in this book. It contains straight talking practical advice that if followed will lead you to personal happiness and fulfilment.
He also provides a fast track through the book (go to pages 158, 30, 11) on the back that gets you thinking about and doing the most benificial things quickly. Handy for those that feel they do not have the time to read a whole book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top 5 all-time most helpful books., Aug. 25 2002
Patrick J. Morrison "pjm2" (Davie, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this when I was struggling to hold 18 credit hours, a part-time job and a life together and I credit it with helping me turn things around and graduate from college. One of the most clear-headed, sensible books I've ever read, and possibly the one easiest to apply directly to life activities. Buy it, read it, practice it and you will find more value in the time you spend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small cost, rich reward, Sept. 3 2001
Russell Fanelli (Longmeadow, MA USA) - See all my reviews
How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life is, perhaps, the best book on time management ever written. It does not waste your time but gets right to the point. You must establish SMART (specific, measurable, achieveable, related/relevant, and time framed) goals for yourself and then prioritize them using Lakein's A/C system. "A" goals are the most important to you and you must plan on spending 80% of your time to achieve them. "C" goals (TV, lawn care, shopping, etc.) are the place where most people "waste" their lives and spend 80% of their time. This ratio must be reversed, according to Lakein.
He would agree with e.e. cummings that "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is night and day trying to make you just like everybody else means to fight the hardest fight any human being can fight, and never stop fighting." Once we have set goals that utilize our unique talents and abilities, we will have the will power and determination to do the work necessary to achieve them.
To accomplish our goals Lakein recommends that we make a daily "to do" list and always start with "A's," not "C's." Most of our time is spent working harder on things that don't matter. We may be efficient, but Lakein suggests that our goal is to do what matters most and become effective. "Work smarter, not harder" is the mantra he wants us to repeat and couple that saying with his last piece of advice --"Do it now."
Stick your finger into this small book and any page you hit will have wise words to put into action. Learning comes from daily practice and developing habits that "put first things first," taken from Stephen Covey's best seller, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People -- also recommended is Covey's fine book on effective living appropriately titled First Things First.
Rarely has a book that costs so little paid such rich dividends. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, May 1 2000
By A Customer
This book was sitting around the house for quite some time until I fortunately picked it up to look through it! This book SPOKE TO ME! There are 2 types of perfectionists: those who do everything, and those who do nothing.. I'm the latter. Through the straight-forward, tell-it-how-it-is approach, I felt like somebody else related to me! I've read time management books before, but it's no wonder this is a national best-seller. Honestly, I haven't read it all the way through, since it motivates me to get going, but I enjoy reading it! Also, it doesn't get old like most things do for me! That's because "I" get to decide what my priorities are. These last few weeks since I've found this book have been so sweet. It's not the kind of book that makes you feel you're not doing what's the most important thing (and what you WANT to do! ). Also, the swiss cheese idea really stuck to me. It says to just spend 5 min. on your A-1. There were goals I had, but never recognized them as such or gave them the attention they deserved. Just last week, I was so thrilled and felt so alive to not just worry about a particualar goal I had, but instead, to take action. Um, the BEST part (or one of the best parts! ) about this book is coming up with your A-1, A-2, A-3... goals! I had my mom do it, as I read off from the book how to, and she was so thankful. It was just amazing! This book has changed my life from the moment I picked it up. I used to feel like doing Homework and Projects and such at the very last minute, since I knew it would get done, and I'd be forced to turn it in as is. Now, I see that I've changed in such simple, but helpful ways! I actually started on a project a week before it was due! Simply amazing. My life was a constant running from one crisis to the next (all-nighters common). I'm almost dumbfounded at how NORMALIZED it is. I never knew this bliss..

5.0 out of 5 stars God Created the Garden of Eden - and then everything else..., May 28 2000
This is THE time management book. I have tried to buy better books. Afterall, the book is ancient. 27 years old. But, you see, they invented the wheel. It's hard to do again. Don't go down that alley! You know what I'm talking about. Other time management books. I did buy an unusual one. Published originally in German. It was so cool! Until I figured out that all your activities were supposed to be coordinated with your, ahem, biorythms. Those charts that were a fad about two million years ago. Not the medical ones now. I was not terribly delighted. I'm not sure that Edison was the first to discover electricity. It might have been the Arabs. But Lakein got time management into book form. I've read this book four times! And I underlined it in blue. If you want to be an Amazon.com reviewer, buy this book. A-1. You will find out what this means. Good luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plan & priortize., June 20 2003
W. E. Jung "Tofu Love" (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book heavily emphasizes planning and prioritizing and also offers tips on how to stave off procrastination. There are a few anecdotes about business managers and housewives that, for me, just fill pages, but overall, this is a clearly-written, useful book that offers effective techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on time management ever written, Oct. 13 2002
By A Customer
I can think of no other book on time management that brings together everything you need to know about managing your time in such a short text. If you read just one book on time management - this is the one! I continue to review this book every couple years to refine my approach.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life by Alan Lakein (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 22 1989)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01