5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating is all I can say!
Published on May 4 2007 by Ali Siddiqui

2.0 out of 5 stars You may be disappointed
This is one hell of a long read. 1400+ pages in all. The characters are so well developed, however, the abrupt ending cuts off any of their involvement in the plot. The bad ass bad guy who is supposed to be the antagonist, the guy who is supposed to get you shaking in your boots, barely comes into the foreground more than 20% of the time. A disappointment.
Published 5 months ago by elginblatherford

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating is all I can say!, May 4 2007
Ali Siddiqui (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand (Hardcover)
I have always been a bit wary of Stephen King's books so I thought why not plunge into one of his most revered/loathed books by reviewers and fans alike? I wasn't disappointed at all. King, pulls you into a World through the eyes of a few survivors of a devestating plague and how as the lone survivors have to live, work, and survive together without killing each other. As in any post-apocalyptic story we have individuals who now have no fear of authority go on a rampage killing and pillaging and the survivors who just want to live are holed away cowering behind their walls. However, King doesn't go along this route (when does he ever!?), instead he pits those who survived due to Good and Evil. Throw in a bit of religious intrigue and not only do you have a book where questions arise through the characters on whether or not they believe in a God or whether they survived through pure chance just to end up fighting the Evil that lurks just over the mountains.

The characters are complex, evolving, and so life like that they could be easily recognized and easily relatable to in real life. The scenarios really helps the readers to empathize, sympathize, hate, or understand why the characters are acting as they did/are. I actually ended up supporting characters at one point and then questioning how they could have done what they did to the others...only to realize later on that from their point of view they did that to survive...something I found so refreshing. I was absolutely astounded by the evolving characters since I expected to read a book with cliched archetypes, now I know better. There are points where you wished King hadn't done what he did to one character (you'll understand later on when you read the book) since you feel so damn awful about how he was treated before the apocalypse that you wished he would end up happier in the post-apocalypse World.

If the World does end tomorrow and I needed a guidebook to help me survive the turmoil that tragedy on an epic apocalyptic scale brings...I would take "The Stand".

If you love Stephen King...buy this. If you love post-apocalyptic stories...buy this. If you love watching ordinary folks being forced to work with each other when their lives are at stake...buy this. If you really love evolving characters with each their own personalities and goals...buy this.

For my first Stephen King book, I was very much impressed by this epic novel. I'm glad I took the plunge. This book now is firmly placed in my top 10 list of books to take with me on a desert island.

5 *****'s all the way. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still my favourite Stephen King book, Jan. 24 2014
Rene the Bean (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand (Kindle Edition)
I read The Stand when it first came out many years ago. I loved it then, but I was very much "into" all of King's books at the time, so I wasn't surprised. I read it a second time probably 10 years later (the extended version, I think) and enjoyed it just as much. So, it's been probably 30 years since I first read the book and I still think it's his best. This time, I read it on my Kindle (no carrying around a 1,000 page book!!) and wanted to take an entire weekend to just sit and read, but, alas, it was not to be . . . . I had to read it in fits and starts.

Stephen King is a writer who gets into your head. You just "know" what his characters look like; you feel like they're your neighbors, friends or someone you've met before, whether you like them or not. That's one reason why I don't really like the movies that have been made from some of his novels -- they never live up to his books.

If you've never read The Stand, or if you've read it when it first came out -- read it again!! You won't regret it. It will stay with you for a long, long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stand, Jan. 23 2012
J. Vu - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought the book because of the price and because it is considered Stephen King's magnum opus. A great read if you are into King's writing or the post-apocalyptic genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I llked it., Nov. 29 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand (Hardcover)
My copy of The Stand was lost and my grandchildren wanted to read it. I wanted a hard cover copy because my eyes are not what they were and it is easier to read.It was not perfect but it was in good readable condition.the price was right and it got here in good time. The Stand particularly this edition(long one) is one of the best of Stephen King's works.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read the second time around!, Nov. 10 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand (Mass Market Paperback)
Just finished this on my Kindle and loved it! I had read the paperback version way back (way way back!) and quite frankly had forgotten that I had read it. Once I started reading it I realized that it was the same book, but the new uncut version has enough new content that I relished reading it again. Fantastic author, I don't read nearly as much as I would like to, but I have to say Stephen King is my favorite! He makes me see things so clearly that it's almost as if I'm actually there, he's truly gifted. The Stand, an awesome book, it was very hard to put it down once I started reading it :).

2.0 out of 5 stars You may be disappointed, Oct. 26 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars what a book, Oct. 13 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely brilliant. I think this is Kings best book. Character and plot development are incredible, and despite the length of the book I had a hard time putting it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pausible horror story, Sept. 16 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand (Kindle Edition)
That is what made this story so scary for me was that it is not so far fetched. It captured the human condition of good v/s evil in a pretty realistic way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stand, Aug. 25 2013
Joe (Guelph, On) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand (Mass Market Paperback)
Probably one of my favourite books of all time. It is very long, however, and there is an extended edition which I would avoid if you haven't already read and enjoyed the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Stephen King's Best, a classic great, Aug. 22 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The Stand (Kindle Edition)
Seriously, King's always an incredible crafstman, his characters to die for, but of all of his novels (I've read most) this STANDS out as his classic great. Later novels just feel different, even if the voice and writing is always spectacular. The Stand is less polished, but more engaging on a number of fronts. Vivid, memorable scenes. I still remember Fran biting her tongue on the beach, of all things. Characters are always real -- and that's amazing in a fantasy epic. Normally, I look to escapism and fun in fantasy, but here, the characters feel so alive and real. My one thumbs down -- and it's not enough to bring this down to four stars -- is the expanded edition was not necessary. The original was expanded enough and just right. The new opening doesn't engage me like the old one with Stu in the garage, which is a real "Holy Crap" sort of opening. I once read where King griped about his fans saying his "best" book was such an old classic. But, hey, classic is classic. This is a triumph. The only weak point, to me, was the ending. It felt rushed. Maybe not as vivid as the rest. But it was all good, anyway. I recommend this to anyone who isn't susceptible to nightmares (it's more disturbing than scary, mind you.)

ARRAY(0xb425fdd4)

The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition
The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Mass Market Paperback - May 4 2010)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01