5.0 out of 5 stars Diet Will Work With Realistic Reward Meal Servings
Published on Nov. 23 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Diet, Can work with some tweakin...
Basically this book advocates 2 low carb meals and a 3rd meal where the dieter is encouraged to add carbohydrates everyday.
Why the diet in the book might not work:
-Only 3 Meals a day of any kind of food will slow your metabalism down, especially if one meal is much larger then the rest. 4-6 Smaller meals is better.
-Eating Carbohydrates later in the day...
Published on Sept. 9 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Diet Will Work With Realistic Reward Meal Servings, Nov. 23 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting (Mass Market Paperback)
Ok, I had rated this book a 1 star until my friend let me read the new lifespan book. I am strictly against diets like atkins. I have also been reading peoples bad reviews and 9 out of 10 times they must be eating like pigs at the reward meal. For anyone who wants to try the diet here is the basics. For breakfast you can eat bacon, ham, or steak and eggs just like atkins. And for lunch you can eat 4 oz of meat with 4 grams worth of vegetables only!! So lunch can be a grilled chicken breast with a salad. For the reward meal you MUST balance the meal and make sure it contains ALL the 4 food groups. You MUST eat 2 cups of salad with every reward meal. You should drink a glass of milk at reward meals for calcium. You should take a plate and serve 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, and 1/3 veggies. You NEVER want to gorge on sweets. Yes you can HAVE dessert, BUT you cant eat a whole pie, or cake. You MUST finish the reward meal in ONE hour! If you really want use this diet get the new lifespan diet. It contains all the newer information. Here is a normal days meals.
Breakfast:
1 cup green beans
1 slice of cake
1 dinner roll

5.0 out of 5 stars The eating plan works - even long term, Dec 30 1998
I've been on the program for 3 years. It's wonderful. To the people that are just starting, I'd encourage you to be patient. My weight loss was very sporatic. I'd feel as though I was losing but the scales didn't tell me that. I'd wait a couple more days and be down 5-6 pounds. It's the only way for me to eat for my life. I've been rid of 35-40 pounds for 2 full years. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars No one way of eating is for EVERYONE, Nov. 17 2002
By A Customer
I weighed "a little more than I should" when I came across this book as a result of reading the Carbohydrate Addicted Kids' book. I began this the weekend of Easter, and slowly, over months, lost 25 pounds. I DO NOT eat protein all day. I follow the guidelines in the book and eat low-carb veggies as well as meats. The only problems I ever have are when I decide that I don't need to follow the way of eating anymore, and then I begin to gain again. The "restrictions" are not oppressive, and make sense.
Always remember, though, that NO ONE DIET is right for everyone. There are many kinds of diets out there, and many people succeeding on each one. The goal is to find the one that works for YOU. This one may or may not be the right one for you. Read the book, try the diet, then decide for yourself if this is working for you, and if it is something you can live with long-term.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good eating program for those sensitive to carbs, June 20 2004
Carbs aren't the enemy, it's just the TYPE of carbs you eat that can shoot your glycemic index way up, causing a huge insulin rush. Once your body becomes used to those high amounts of insulin, the "excess" gets stored just like excess calories do- in the form of fat. Dr.'s Heller help us to understand that there are good carb choices and bad carb choices. For example, most fruits and vegetables are good carbs, while bread, rice, corn, bananas, table and other forms of sugar, sweets, etc are all bad forms of carbs. Carb Addicts is simply about making good choices. The "reward meal" allows you one meal a day where you can eat some bad carbs, provided you eat a small side salad first, and eat equal portions of protein and good carbs along with the bad. You can go back for more "bad" carbs as long as you also take more and equal amounts of protein and good carbs. Eventually, you insulins levels even out, and you lose the cravings for the "bad" carbs. The book gives you the list of foods to eat and foods to avoid, plus a few recipes to help you create low-carb meals. Also included is a test to find out how sensitive you are to carbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sweets/bread lovers, May 4 2004
"pixiefoot" (Morgantown, WV) - See all my reviews
I found this book while browsing the diet section of the bookstore last summer (2003). I read the whole book in about two days and immediately started the diet. I was about 35lbs over my ideal weight at the time and on the diet I ended up losing about 15 in a month's time. Then I slipped off the diet and gained it all back and then another 10 on top of that. I've have tried Weight Watchers and counting calories but it just doesn't work as well and leaves me hungry all the freaking time. I have started to the Carb Addicts diet again and I have already seen a lb come off in less than a week. I am concerned that I will have a difficult time losing during this endeavor because I've gone on and off it several times since the first time I did it. I have found it really hard not to snack at night but if I must have something salty, Tsuami miso soup is easy to make and only has 3 carbs in a bowl. This diet really does control cravings for sweets and bread and you will lose weight on it if you just consistently follow the plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars This diet really works...but, Jan. 21 2004
By A Customer
Two friends of mine at work would rave about this diet that they were on - they werent obese or anything like that, but you could tell that they both looked slimmer. I was currently weighing 160lbs. I am 4'11 - so that is not a good thing. I read the book and went to the commisary - stocking up on all i needed to take this diet seriously. I am a working wife/mother of 3 - so i needed something that would allow for me to come home and cook a nice dinner on a daily basis so this diet seemed to be the solution for me....
Oh my God!! i can not tell you how well it worked for me. The weight began to drop. I went from a size 14 to a size 8. I went down to 130 lbs. It was awesome!! I loved it. I had the energy, i had no appitite. It was as if my stomach shrank - because i couldnt even eat a whole lot after a while..
BUT... then i stopped eating in that manner and began to incorporate sugars and carbs into my diet during the day and the weight came back over a period of 2 yrs..
I am now at 165 lbs, more than i have ever weighed before - but the diet in and of itself works. I am back on the diet, because i know that it works - and next time when i get back to my wieght, i wont gain it back!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the low carbohydrate diets, Nov. 12 2003
By A Customer
I have tried atkins, protein power, and the south beach diets with nothing but failure. Here is a diet that offers you the same, but once a day you can eat carbohydrates for one meal. I find some of the negative reviews quite funny. Do you people think the reward meal means eating a whole pizza, a pound of chocolate, or a quart of ice cream? I found the book very simple to understand. You eat a low carb breakfast, a low carb lunch, and a reward meal for supper daily. For example a sample day for me would be eggs and bacon for breakfast, any meat for lunch, and for my reward meal I start off with (2) cups of salad and I will have steak, a baked potato, green beans, roll, and a piece of cake for dessert, or I will have (3) cups of salad, spaghetti and meatballs, and a piece of pie for dessert, or I will have a double cheeseburger, fries, a large salad, and dessert(dont eat fast food if you can help it, make your burgers at home). You have an hour to eat your reward meal, but I always finish long before the hour is up. You are supposed to eat veggies at lunch with your meat, so I usually have coldcuts wrapped in lettuce and a dill pickle. Dont worry about eating veggies for breakfast! Remember folks the reward meal is a FEAST, not a BINGE. Eat a balanced reward meal, and you will succeed. Binge of junk food, and you will fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read book correctly to feast and lose - it is a great diet!!, Oct. 25 2003
By A Customer
I have read all of the reviews and I cannot believe how many people who do not like the diet are actually following the diet correctly. It is NOT protein all day. For breakfast I have an omlette with 2 eggs, chopped green pepper, mushrooms and 1 t. onion. I have some sauteed spinach on the side and tea with Splenda. For lunch, Prawns and crab steamed over chicken broth (delicious) in a salad with asparagus, 1/2 tomato, cucumbers, mushrooms and topped with a mayonnaise, lemon and Splenda dressing that is delicious! Dinner can be lobster, a small baked potato, summer squash and a tossed salad. You can forgo the potato and have some garlic French bread or fresh strawberries with melon or a dish of gelato. I have never been able to eat this way in my life not gain let alone lose 1-2 pounds a week! I love it! But you must read the book and follow it exactly... it can be very healthful if you choose it to be or very unhealthy if that is the way you choose also. I have boundless energy and look sexy in my jeans again

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream come true, Oct. 23 2003
OrthodoxMama (Germantown, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I suppose that being addicted to carbs is never a good thing, but if you are a moderate to severe carbohydrate addict this just may be your lucky day! Your ticket to weight loss success can be found in the pages of this book! I followed the plan and effortlessly lost weight in a relatively short period of time. What makes this diet so easy is that you are not restricted to following a dramatic low carb/high protein diet (like Atkins), but are instead allowed to eat one reward meal a day (in addition to two low-carb meals) that consists of pretty much any foods you want, as much as you want, as long as you eat them in balanced proportions within one hour. Thus you are never expected to permanently stop eating breads, pastas, desserts, fruits, etc., but are limited to indulging in them once a day only. Believe me, this is well worth it, easy, and it works for many people! The authors (both doctors) also report dramatic health improvements for those who have followed the diet (including themselves). Truthfully though, I would've rated the book 4-1/2 stars if possible just because the food guidelines can be a little unclear at points, resulting in a slower rate of weight loss if misunderstood. Also, some of the "complementary" foods listed in earlier editions of the book have been later found to trigger cravings and to slow weight loss in some people. However updates, guidance, and advice are available on the Hellers' website, so don't let those glitches deter you from trying this plan. This just may be the weight loss solution you've been waiting for!

3.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Diet, Can work with some tweakin..., Sept. 9 2003
Why the diet in the book might not work:
-Eating Carbohydrates later in the day will be harder to burn off because you are less active at night.
-By discouraging snacking the tendency to binge unnecessarily at the REWARD Meal becomes much more likely.
How the Diet can work:
-Eating the Reward Meal for lunch/or earlier in the day. You may not gain weight from eating it a night, but you probably won't lose either.
-Eating more low carb snacks throughout the day to keep your metabalism going, and to keep your blook sugar in check.
-Eating sensibly at the REWARD Meal (Maybe having a cheeseburger with the bun and a diet soda, not a box of donuts and a gallon of mountain dew.)
If you really like the diet in this book, then add some cardio and weightlifting and you will definitly lose weight.

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting
The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting by Dr. Richard F. Heller (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 28 2000)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54