5.0 out of 5 stars The eating plan works - even long term
Published on Dec 30 1998 by Rolinda Tappenden (parotap@mod...

3.0 out of 5 stars Can see the science behind it, but.....
Published 2 months ago by Ruth Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars The eating plan works - even long term, Dec 30 1998
This review is from: The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting (Mass Market Paperback)
I've been on the program for 3 years. It's wonderful. To the people that are just starting, I'd encourage you to be patient. My weight loss was very sporatic. I'd feel as though I was losing but the scales didn't tell me that. I'd wait a couple more days and be down 5-6 pounds. It's the only way for me to eat for my life. I've been rid of 35-40 pounds for 2 full years. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great step towards a long term lifestyle change, not just a diet, Feb. 22 2012
zerrk (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
After my boss lost 100lbs on this diet in 6 months and kept it off for over 5 years, I decided to try it. I want to lose 40lbs and so far it's been around 3 weeks and I have lost 12lbs. My boyfriend has lost 17lbs in the same amount of time (he wants to lose 40lbs too).

We have found this diet to be the easiest one we have ever tried (have tried low carb and calorie counting previously). The best part of this diet is that it is teaching both of us to treat food as fuel rather than only a pleasure or a comfort or entertainment. That said, the 'reward' meal each day really keeps us going and at times is the only reason we've stayed on this diet. We just make sure that when we have a craving for junk food, we keep looking forward to having the food at our reward meal. It helps us to have a shorter goal (having it at the end of the day) and we have something new to look forward to each and every day.

For my reward, I usually have a decent sized oatmeal chocolate chip cookie from the farmers market and 2 small scoops of ice cream (along with my protein, good carb and salad). My boyfriend usually has ice cream, a cookie and a square or two of specialty chocolate. Or he'll have 2 cookies or 2 beer sometimes. We have never enjoyed ice cream so much and the cookie tastes like heaven at the end of the day!

That said, we do restrict the portion of 'junk' to equal the same size as the protein we have with the meal. That part was definitely an adjustment in the beginning since I could (and still can) easily eat 6 cookies or more in a sitting (in fact I cheated about a week ago and ate a dozen cookies! but instead of getting depressed I just started the diet again the next day. That is also something new for me. In past, if I 'failed' to keep to past diets for even one meal I would just give up).

Still, having smaller portions of junk food is teaching us balance and we are learning that we won't actually die (even if it feels like it) if we don't give into a craving or if we have a smaller portion of the desired food. With the experience of success on this diet (whether success be a pound or a smaller portion of ice cream) comes knowledge that we can make changes and succeed.

One thing we do on this diet is weigh ourselves every day. If we gain/stay the same too long we take an honest look at our reward food and make sure the reward really is the same portion size as the protein we've eaten. It's easy to delude ourselves sometimes and have 'just a little more' ice cream than protein.

Also, for us it helps to buy really good 'junk food' like specialty chocolate or haagen-dazs ice cream - it's more expensive but you will be eating less of it so it works out in that way. To us, it is so worth it to make our rewards amazingly delicious and savor every bit!! The second and third day of this diet I was literally smelling my cookie before eating it so that I could savor every little sniff! haha. That level of craving has since passed although I do still savor my reward meal each day. The past sugar/junk food cravings have tapered off a lot since the first week of this diet and they are very manageable now -- which feels like a miracle since in past all of my eating habits were dominated by sugar/carb/junk cravings. We both feel this is a diet we can definitely keep doing until we reach our goal weights (After all, on what other diet can I have ice cream every day or a beer each night and still lose weight?)

After reaching my goal, I feel that I will add a moderate amount of balanced carbs into my diet (for example: a slice of toast with protein for breakfast or cereal as well as protein -- in addition to a reward meal) but will keep with the balanced approach to eating and the reward meal. My boyfriend feels like he could do this diet forever and calls it a lifestyle choice rather than a diet.

This is really an awesome diet worth trying. Any change is different than what you are used to, and will probably be a challenge/adjustment at first but this diet does become easier to stick to and there is daily motivation (aka-daily rewards) to keep you going.

Best of luck to anyone trying this! It does get easier! You can do it!

PS - I just reread this review before posting and laughed (and cringed a bit) because I sound like an advertisement or something. Sorry the review is so long too. I am just so glad to have found this diet/lifestyle change and feel so in control of my eating habits, it feels wonderful. I hope others can find the same success I have and know I will continue to have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can see the science behind it, but....., April 29 2014
I think this diet is good for some people. Everyone's body is different. I was on the diet for two weeks, but got terribly constipated so I went off of it and back to my bran flakes and whole wheat bread. For women it should call for less protein. The protein portions are alright for men. Other than that it is a diet that you really lose weight on. Nice there is the reward meal. Good recipes in the book, especially the lean ground pork sausage patty. You can make the recipes no carb and low fat. I will use the recipes a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is for almost everyone, Sept. 10 2013
2 days of this diet (for lack of a better word)and I have lost 3 pounds. Any overweight person should look into this book and it is easy and you are rewarded everyday with foods that you love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carbohydates Addicts Diet, Feb. 10 2003
Donna (Scarborough,Ontario) - See all my reviews
I am loving this book as I am a confirmed Carbo Addict,however I am experiencing a problem with the breakfast menu.Although I love eggs and have found numerous ways to make omelletes I cannot eat eggs 7 days a week.If anyone can make some suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diet Will Work With Realistic Reward Meal Servings, Nov. 23 2001
By A Customer
Ok, I had rated this book a 1 star until my friend let me read the new lifespan book. I am strictly against diets like atkins. I have also been reading peoples bad reviews and 9 out of 10 times they must be eating like pigs at the reward meal. For anyone who wants to try the diet here is the basics. For breakfast you can eat bacon, ham, or steak and eggs just like atkins. And for lunch you can eat 4 oz of meat with 4 grams worth of vegetables only!! So lunch can be a grilled chicken breast with a salad. For the reward meal you MUST balance the meal and make sure it contains ALL the 4 food groups. You MUST eat 2 cups of salad with every reward meal. You should drink a glass of milk at reward meals for calcium. You should take a plate and serve 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, and 1/3 veggies. You NEVER want to gorge on sweets. Yes you can HAVE dessert, BUT you cant eat a whole pie, or cake. You MUST finish the reward meal in ONE hour! If you really want use this diet get the new lifespan diet. It contains all the newer information. Here is a normal days meals.
Breakfast:
1 slice of cake
1 dinner roll

1.0 out of 5 stars Works at first... but don't you DARE cheat!, Feb. 24 2004
Ashley Keene (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
Don't get this book unless you want to completely change the way you eat for the rest of your life. This book has basically destroyed any healthy eating habits I once had with its "Reward Meal".
I wasn't terribly overweight, but 145 pounds on a 5'4" body isn't the slimmest body in the world. I lost about 15 pounds, and at 130, I looked amazing. I was getting compliments for the first time in my life about my body; I couldn't believe how much difference 15 pounds would make.
But then I started college. There's absolutely no way to follow this plan if you're a college student, unless you revolve your entire life around it. Not only did I gain back the 15 pounds I lost, but I gained the dreaded Freshman 15, and now weigh 160 pounds.
My eating habits are terrible. I want to have fatty desserts at every meal, and the Reward Meal taught me that it was okay. It's not! The lack of fruit during the day on the CAD plan has also destroyed my snacking habits.
I admit, the cravings were completely gone, and I felt very energized and great, but it doesn't last. I couldn't keep with the diet after moving to college, and I suspect that many others would have a hard time with it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Feb. 9 2004
Lisa Harvey (Findlay, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I started this diet six years ago. The first week is hard (stomache cramps)...after that it is cake. I lost 20lbs in two months. I then stopped paying attention to it as much, but since my cravings had been eliminated, I ate the same way and kept the weight off for four years without even trying. I recently had a baby...gained weight, and have started back on the diet.
People complain of being hugry during the day...then they are not doing it right. People who complain of intestinal problems...take fiber at dinner (I think there is even a chapter about that). The reward meal is GREAT! Yes, you CAN'T eat your normal four slices of pizza then add a bagel and a candy bar...but you can eat 2 slices of pizza half a bagel and half a candy bar (it's supposed to be more balanced...but I eat in moderation whatever I thought about throughout the day...keeps me from cheating -especially in the first week!). As with all diets...for some it works, and for some it may not. Never be hungry...drink lots of water...read the book cover to cover!!! Don't assume you know what they will say!
My mother lost 100 lbs in one year then hit a plateu. She's gained 15 lbs back in seven years (no longer following the diet). Pretty good if you ask me!
Looking forward to returning to my previous weight in 2-3 months! Thank you Hellers!
FYI - I would redo your website free of cost (maybe for a book) - not bad, but could be better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Working for me..., Dec 21 2002
By A Customer
I was on the Atkins for months and began to stray because it was just to restrictive. With the Carbohydrate Addicts program, I"ve been able to stay with no problem...the reward meal is the key. I"ve been losing and not feeling deprived.

4.0 out of 5 stars No one way of eating is for EVERYONE, Nov. 17 2002
By A Customer
I weighed "a little more than I should" when I came across this book as a result of reading the Carbohydrate Addicted Kids' book. I began this the weekend of Easter, and slowly, over months, lost 25 pounds. I DO NOT eat protein all day. I follow the guidelines in the book and eat low-carb veggies as well as meats. The only problems I ever have are when I decide that I don't need to follow the way of eating anymore, and then I begin to gain again. The "restrictions" are not oppressive, and make sense.
Always remember, though, that NO ONE DIET is right for everyone. There are many kinds of diets out there, and many people succeeding on each one. The goal is to find the one that works for YOU. This one may or may not be the right one for you. Read the book, try the diet, then decide for yourself if this is working for you, and if it is something you can live with long-term.

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting
The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting by Dr. Richard F. Heller (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 28 2000)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54