5.0 out of 5 stars The world of crime science
Published on Nov. 7 2003 by Lee Ka Yee

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my type of novel
Published on Sept. 8 2001 by Hilary Lardin, asalam alakium

5.0 out of 5 stars The world of crime science, Nov. 7 2003
I like the story structure most. There are Killer¡s monologues and Lincoln Rhyme¡s deduction. It excites me to chase every wording and chapter by chapter. Sachs¡ adventures in venue are so attractive. I am interested in crime science now. Lincoln Rhyme¡s tragedy begins when he becomes paralyzed. Luckily, Amelia Sachs brings him back from despair. The bone collector loses his family accidentally and then embeds ¡¥revenge¡ in his entire mind. Bringing Rhyme to death becomes his aspiration. This novel surprises me page by page. After reading, I realize that meaning of life is contributing our talents to society, even our lives are coming to an end. Let¡s enter the world of crime science.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Duo Since Holmes and Watson!, Feb. 26 2003
This review is from: The Bone Collector: The First Lincoln Rhyme Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
"The Bone Collector" is the first in the riveting Lincoln Rhyme-Amelia Sachs series, and it leaves the reader gasping for more.
Take one handsome and brilliant forensic scientist--who now happens to be a quadriplegic who can move his head and exactly one finger. Team him with a gorgeous redheaded cop with a chip on her shoulder and a propensity for biting her nails to the quick. Present them with a serial killer to end all serial killers. And then hang on tight, because this plot has more twists and turns than the most sophisticated roller coaster.
As the book opens, a despairing Rhyme is methodically planning his own suicide, with the help of a Kevorkian-type doctor. Trapped in his useless body, the former criminalist feels he simply cannot go on. Then he is asked to help solve one more case--and his brilliant mind simply cannot resist the tantalizing and baffling clues.
With a slew of high-tech gadgets (fascinating) in his bedroom, and the unwilling Amelia Sachs acting as his stand-in at the various crime scenes, Rhyme tracks a killer whose twisted mind jumps back and forth from the real world to that of Old New York. This is one heck of a perp: He thinks he's living 100 years ago, and his murders have everything to do with that delusion.
No way can the reader guess the end; no way is the reader going to be satisfied with only one Rhyme-Sachs novel. Fortunately, there are more--and I've ordered them all!

4.0 out of 5 stars wounderful forensics and full of great characters, Dec 27 2002
By A Customer
"The Bone Collector" written by Jeffery Deaver is one of the most fascinating books about forensics that I have read to date. It takes place in Manhattan where a dangerous killer is on the loose. Officer Sachs teams up with Linclon Rhyme, the best forensic criminalogist that the public has seen. He got in an accident when he was investinating a crime scene that left him paralzed from the neck down but he still has some movement in the fingers of his right hand. From his bed he digests and dissects the clues that Sachs brings back from the crime scenes hoping he can capture this mad man. The whole time the murders are going on there is a UN conferance in New York. So the atmosphere is very uptight which causes procedures to be rushed. The mayor is torn between stationing his men at the UN conference or sending them to aid in the investigation. The killer is now killing people faster and Sachs and Ryhme are not showing signs of getting the case solved, consequently they are kicked off the case, eventallly they are reasigned. I dont want to ruin the ending for you so I'll just say this one thing...the killer is alot closer to the characters then one would think. Once you find out who it is you won't beleive it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will chill you to the bone!, May 12 2002
Jeremy Bullock (Littleton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I have never been a very big fan of crime novels, but Jeffery Deaver has kept me coming back for more. In this, his first in a series about Lincoln Rhyme, a quadriplegic genius, Deaver shows just how much research goes into making his novels realistic. It is clear that the author has studied forensics, anatomy, and police practices. The story revolves around a man who is simultaneously living in the present, while thinking of himself as a killer from the early 1900's. Deaver's ability to present New York's past and modern worlds together is wonderful. The character development is excellent as well. Lincolm Rhyme is one of the best characters I have ever come across. His knack for understanding the criminal mind is beyond measure. Deaver deftly gives the reader a view of life from the perspective of Rhyme, someone who cannot do more than move his head and one finger, yet has an intelligence few can match. The other main character is Amelia Sachs, a beat cop, who is drafted by Rhyme into being an extension of his body by doing the necessary leg work (and sometimes gruesome tasks) that he cannot. The relationship that develops between them is great, and at times, provides a little humor to an otherwise dark story. I highly recomend this book, unless you have a really weak stomach, since some scenes are gory. Keep down your dinner, and you'll be reading long into the wee hours of the morning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the Book, THEN See the Movie, May 5 2002
The Bone Collector, with Angelina Jolie and Denzel Washington, doesn't do full justice to Deaver's suspenseful forensic novel. The book has far more cases than the movie, but this is most likely due to trying to cram several hundreds of pages into 2 hours. The movie, however, is a wonderful tie-in with the book. Deaver's descriptions are fantastic; though I was a little lost with the chemicals and the usage of the men's forensic "toys," I learned a lot about forensic science, much more than any episode of CSI could ever teach someone. The crime scenes in the novel were graphic, bloody, cringe-worthy, and a delight to read for someone who loves thrillers. I liked how Deaver included the "chart" of the murderer's M.O. It let me pretend I was right in the room with Linc and Amie, trying to figure out when the Bone Collector would strike next. It's not just a slash 'em up novel, though; Deaver weaves suspense, heartache, and a little flirtatious romance into a tight, cohesive web of mystery that kept me in my chair reading until I had finished the book all the way through in one night.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bone Collector From My View, Dec 10 2001
Danielle (Lafayette, LA, USA) - See all my reviews
The book "The Bone Collector" by Jeffery Deaver is a fictional suspense book. It is set in New York City where there is this insane killer on the loose. He leaves a piece of a bone from the victim he has killed at every scene of the crime. It is up to a man named Lincoln Rhyme who is physically handicapped and his assistant Amelia Sachs to discover who is the criminal. Through all of the evidence a crimes they receive, Amelia is capable of doing the work with the assistance of Rhyme. Towards the end, Amelia recalls a certain piece of evidence that leads her to the killer. Amelia gets her evidence from a book in which all of the crimes she has witnessed came from. She then figures out the final crime in when she reads what happens next.
I think that the book was very good. It always kept me on the edge. I usually can always figure out mystery novels but this one just kept me guessing. I really think that this is a must read book. It has something in it for every type of reader. I think that it made me think how we have copycat criminals who base some of there crimes on past events or novels or movies which shoes that anything can be brought to life. I think that the book could have given a little bit more information regarding the crimes scenes to make them easier to figure out. All in all I thought it was a great book and well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Best Book Ever, Nov. 1 2001
Oh my gosh! I seriously think that this is the best book of all time. It is definitely my favorite book ever. It totally kept me on the edge of my seat. From page one, you are thrown into the middle of the first victims kidnapping. You can paint terrible but amazingly accurate pictures in your head of these all too horrific events. I loved every second of the Bone Collector!
The characters are amazingly well developed. I never knew you could form such strong bonds with characters made from only words on paper. I had a special bond with Lincoln rhyme, Amelia Sachs, and Thom, Lincoln's nurse. But every character was awesome. I found myself praying that the detectives would reach the victims in time. I was sad for a character at some point. Happy at other points. And angry at just as many points.
This book was a real page turner. Something was a;ways happening. I needed to know what was going to happen, right then and there. I couldn't put the book down. I just kept reading and reading. There was no stopping me. I managed to find time to read the book in about a day and a half. And with my hectic life, that's no small accomplishment.
Everyone should read the Bone Collector. This book has the perfect combination for a beautiful, intriquing, and plain awazing mystery thriller.
Jeffery Deaver is an amazing author. I am definitely going to read every one of his books!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my type of novel, Sept. 8 2001
Hilary Lardin, asalam alakium (Jacksonville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bone Collector (Hardcover)
First of all the only reason I read this book is because it was on sale, at the bookstore and I wanted to read a book turned movie before I saw the movie. This was the first detective novel I have read. It was good but I gave it a 3 star's because it just wasn't for me. This book really stresses me out. It seemed every page a turned I got agitated because there was no way in the world this could really happen. I'm the type of person that gets annoyed when those detective shows on tv or in the movies do things that would have people in jail in the real world. Sure it's a fictional story but it still got to me. For example, what crime agency would hand over a high level murder case to a civilian retired cop. Tell me if I'm wrong but that really sounds crazy. The last aspect of this book I would like to comment on is the relationship between Lincoln and Amelia. The author slowly developed the relationship between these two throughout the book, but after reading it I realized that the entire time span of the book was about three days. Three days! Three days to pretty much fall in love from being complete strangers. Impossible. And there is no way in the world that Amelia could change the mind of a paralized man in that amount of time. If you read it you know what I mean. Anyways, it was an ok book to pass the time but I'm sure I could have found a better one.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read!, Feb. 3 2001
"the_halberdier" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This book is a must-read. In it, Deaver simultaneously creates a sub-genre (master criminalist as detective), introduces some terrific and unique characters and sets up a wickedly exciting chase, full of suspense.
On the technical side, this book really shows up writers like Patricia Cornwell. It's obvious that Deaver has done a tremendous amount of homework and you come away feeling like you've just completed a NYPD forensics course. On the character side, Deaver has created as enjoyable and interesting pair of investigators as anyone. You feel like you could reach out and shake their hands.
But it is on the plot side that Deaver shines most. His style can only be described as wrenching -- just as you think you know where the book is going to go, it turns and runs full-tilt in a completely unexpected direction. The book is full of surprises and suspense -- you can feel your palms dripping in a couple of the scenes.
Grab this book and read the next two, they are just great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bone Chilling Suspense, Dec 11 2000
josh (Saginaw Michigan) - See all my reviews
King of Forensics, Lincoln Rhyme a main character of the suspense novel, The Bone Collector; is a paraplegic ex-police detective, Head of Forensics. He is on the hunt for a serial killer. I for one am a person who loves suspense novels. I always wanted to see what was going to happen next. Jeffery Deaver, the author of the book is very good at leaving you hang out to dry. He will go to a scene where it shows the killer and his victim, and right at the high point of the scene, Deaver suddenly jumps to the police station or Lincoln's apartment. It can be disturbing sometimes. I guess you will have to read the book to understand all of this. Highly recommended for suspense seekers. Amelia Sachs, Lincoln's walking, active partner, goes to the crime scene to try to find where the killing is going to take place. The author tries to make you think. Like a detective. He makes you use the clues like Lincoln has to that the killer leaves behind in order to understand the book. This book well deserves its four star rating. This book is good because of all the description Deaver uses. Such as giving explicit detail to what the killer is doing to the victim. Not too much, but just enough and that is what makes the book so twisted.

The Bone Collector: The First Lincoln Rhyme Novel
The Bone Collector: The First Lincoln Rhyme Novel by Jeffery Deaver (Mass Market Paperback - March 2 2004)
CDN$ 11.50 CDN$ 10.35
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available