summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Family

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on February 8, 2005
This book is not only beneficial for someone who has lost a loved one, but to reaffirm there is good in mankind. I have read several books about life after death and this far exceeded my expectations. James is genuinely looking out for people's hearts and souls with his gentle nature and positive stories. A definate must read for all!!
on February 16, 2005
If you've lost a loved one, have psychic intuitive abilities that you are trying to figure out, if you are a fan of Jonathan Edwards or Tiffany Snow or Sylvia Browne, this book will be a pleasure. Understand what it is like to live the unique life, one where no path is there to follow, and the trail blazing is left up to you. We don't die! Just our body does! We should live each day without fear of death. And know that the ones we love are not truly gone. Just most of us can't see or hear them anymore. For those who can, they have to put up with a lot from society and religious sects. A true loving God would never disagree with communication with our loved ones who have passed. And these authors tell you that. I believe it.
After many years of having ‘Talking to Heaven: a medium’s message of life after death’ sitting on the shelf, I decided that I would read James Van Praagh’s words once again, and I am glad that I did because I re-discovered many things that I had forgotten about the world of mediumship and life after death.

While James Van Praagh might not have been the first medium to share his experiences and beliefs about death, dying, and the afterlife, I don’t believe that any of his predecessors had their books go to number one on the New York Times bestseller list, nor did they have their own weekly TV program dealing with the subject or provide their expertise to a popular Hollywood TV production (Ghost Whisperer).

With a great deal of introspection and uplifting perspective, Talking to Heaven shares James Van Praagh’s personal story and what led him to becoming a medium, how the process of mediumship works and there are numerous, specific readings that James conducted with people who wanted contact with departed loved ones. However, regardless of how interesting and pertinent the historical information is to the reader, I believe that the greatest benefit is the comfort that this book bestows on those open to the idea that life does not end with our physical death.
Through his compassionate sharing, James ensures that the reader is better equipped to deal with the inevitable loss of a loved one, whether human or animal, and their own mortality.

Included in the discussion are many other self-empowering ideas, such as following:
• ‘Every day we experience things that cannot be explained. Some refer to these experiences as coincidences, accidents, or sheer luck. There is no such thing!’
• ‘Will the passing of a loved one be valuable to them in their spiritual growth? We cannot understand these things with our rational minds because these matters are of a spiritual nature.’
• ‘All of life is about learning from our experiences.’
• ‘I don’t believe that God is a figure in space looking down on us. And while there have been many who have represented the great Light of God in human form, the same God spark that was in them is in each one of us. God is my light, your light, and everyone else has this same light too.’
• ‘Your mental thoughts are real, and they have a direct result of how you feel. Therefore, always try as best you can to keep a positive outlook on life.’

If these concepts resonate with you, if you are interested in learning more about the life of a prominent medium, or if you are seeking comfort in dealing with the loss of a loved one, then you will certainly enjoy and benefit from ‘Talking to Heaven.’

**A personal note, having observed James Van Praagh at live events, and having had a personal reading with James, I can attest to the fact that he is able to share information that defies logic and could not have been obtained from any physically available source. I believe that James uses his talents to bring comfort to those in grief and to bring awareness to those who are willing to see beyond the physical world.**
on October 20, 2000
"Talking to Heaven" came to my attention, as part of my spiritual journey led me to information that explained the things that continued to happen around me, as my son Jason and I began a new way of "being" together after his transition to Heaven. Many things happened and I was always led right to the source of information that I needed, at just the right time, by following what "others" around me suggested...following only the things that resonated in my heart. I find James Van Praagh to be sincere, and humble in a very likable way,and his manner of sharing his gift of healing resonates in my heart, assuring me that he is truly genuine and I appreciate the information he shares. I believe he speaks the truth when he mentions an "inner knowingness" as the way to access this information, and all of the things happened before I read this book, and I assure you that we are definitely connected to our loved ones always, in "all ways" and gifts of love are the blessings we receive from our loved ones when we realize that being "aware" in a new way and trusting our feelings is all we have to do...just believe!
on May 7, 2000
I believe that James Van Praagh in his own way is trying to help people,but to me it feels like another fad spiritual journey book as many others are and the book has the same basic foundation of death,white light and reincarnation,and it leaves me with the notion that this is a recipe,a sort of generalization of the afterlife,all is rosy and happy and we float in a mist til the next earthbound life and go through the same cycle over again until we get it right.
For those who do not believe in reincarnation,the book just doesn't do it for them,it leaves them with questions,because aren't Heaven and Hell and Reincarnation at the cores,,,religious beliefs? We get reincarnation from the Hindus and Buddist and while we should respect those religions we need to get a good look at how this book is based on just more philosophy and what MAY happen and not about what may REALLY happen after death.
The truth is,would I make much money if I were a medium and did NOT believe in reincarnation? Probably not,because reincarnation is a cultural fad at present and the mediums who believe in it are more in favor of the public than I would be in,because of my lack of belief in reincarnation the public would not favor my advice and probably not buy any of my books.
Plus I saw a post on this site about a person who's sister died and they are sad that their sister may be floating around in white light doing nothing,,that would leave me concerned as well, because we all need to be active and learning no matter on what side of life we may be in. I'd guess the sister would be busy and active and would be having a very meaning life on the other side,,I'd take this book with a huge grain of salt and alot of thought.
on May 3, 2000
James Van Praagh was the most visible and daring medium of the 20th Century, and TALKING TO HEAVEN was the book that galvanized America's attention to this subject.
This book is a first, and brought Van Praagh's remarkable talents from behind the scenes and into print to allow the reader to formulate his or her own judgments regarding remarkable claims of communication with those in "an afterlife."
As a mental health professional who has interviewed close friends and sitters who have had readings from Van Praagh in Los Angeles, I have seen enormous therapeutic gains in some cases as a direct result from Van Praagh's work. TALKING TO HEAVEN offers top notch case studies and an accurate history of Van Praagh's background before going public on TV to perform demonstrations for millions of television viewers.
My personal belief is that TV is not the best medium for mediums, while books are (next to private readings). And this book is a winner from beginning to end.
on May 1, 2000
I was in the airport on a layover while on my way to New Mexico to help my sister with her dying husband. While filling time I wandered thru a magazine & book shop, and found myself in front of a book named TALKING TO HEAVEN. I picked it up, read a little and purchased it. I read part of it on the plane and the rest while at my sister's. Just before Tom died, I had a conversation with him and asked if he was afraid, gave him encouragement, and told him I knew his beloved mother would be there to help him cross. He thanked me, and then smiled. I felt it helped him pass a bit less afraid, and maybe even a little anxious to see his mom. Just this past week, I had a simular conversation with my 40 year old niece just before she died, telling her that her sister would be there to help her. She squeezed my hand and passed on three hours later. If this really helps, and it certainly seems to, I owe it all to James Van Praugh's willingness to share his story in Talking To Heaven!
on April 9, 2000
I am very aware that many people will believe this message and many will not. I want to take this review to a place that makes sense for most people. It doesn't matter if you believe James Van Praagh is talking to people in Heaven or not. To me, his take on Spiritual themes are very accurate. For me, a good guide to quality spiritual books is to look for those who promote love and not fear. If a book is filled with fear, this is not one that will promote peace and truth. I find his message filled with unconditioned awareness that is the essence of soul. In Mr. Praagh's words, I hear a strong sense of humble gratitude for his gift and not arrogance that would lead me to think he is false. I highly recommend this book to anyone searching for a sense of meaning and hope beyond this life. This book is not written to be a practical caregiving book. This book relates more to the spiritual side of people searching for comfort and healing. -- Samuel Oliver, author of, WHAT THE DYING TEACH US: LESSONS ON LIVING.
on April 9, 2000
on March 22, 2000
Having lost several loved ones over the years has made our family somewhat sensitive to the subject of DEATH. To all those disbelievers & Bible thumpers I say "hogwash". Were it not for our strong belief in the afterlife & people like James Van Praagh we would never have survived the death of our son in a freak car accident at the young age of 21. I wish I had room to list all the messages he sent us letting us know he was alright & did not commit suicide as I originally thought. This is something I did not tell a soul & kept inside for many, many months! Our daughter, his sister, who was 16 at the time had a hard time understanding the why's & how's. He was her best friend, her confidant & wasn't sure how she was going to go on so we finally took her to see a psychic I had been seeing for over 10 years. I did not know that she also channels until our son came thru her to explain everything to our daughter. He also told her to "tell Mom that he did not commit suicide; it was just his time to go". Imagine her shock to find out that's what was on my mind.
It's been 5 years & a day doesn't go by that he is not missed. Again, we send our thanks to James Van Praagh for helping us live thru the dark days & nights. We first learned of his abilities right after his death & seems like every time we turned on the TV there was a talk show featuring him. And if it wasn't him it was stories about angels. We felt that was our sons way of contacting us.
I can't wait for all the nay sayers trying to prove him a fraud; cashing in on us "poor, can't spell second class citizens" when they finally cross over & are met by all their loved ones!
One more thing, one of the occasions when our son came to us to let us know he was o.k. he was accompanied by our beloved cat who had passed away 2 weeks before & slept with him every night. It was comforting to know they are still together.