5.0 out of 5 stars Bold and Encouraging
If you've lost a loved one, have psychic intuitive abilities that you are trying to figure out, if you are a fan of Jonathan Edwards or Tiffany Snow or Sylvia Browne, this book will be a pleasure. Understand what it is like to live the unique life, one where no path is there to follow, and the trail blazing is left up to you. We don't die! Just our body does! We should...
Published on Feb. 16 2005 by Tim Sutton

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of New Age Pseudoscience -- Better books are available
Published on May 16 2002 by Cool R1a

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Confirmation for a Newfound Psychic, Oct. 19 2001
Brenda (Bend, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death (Mass Market Paperback)
During the process of kundalini, a spiritual counselor told me to read this book. There was so much I didn't understand, especially where do I go from here at the end of the process. There's a calmness found in this book's words. The last few chapters were the most helpful since they described exactly what I felt and saw. This is one of two books by James VanPraagh that was suggested reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for mankind, Feb. 8 2005
By A Customer
This book is not only beneficial for someone who has lost a loved one, but to reaffirm there is good in mankind. I have read several books about life after death and this far exceeded my expectations. James is genuinely looking out for people's hearts and souls with his gentle nature and positive stories. A definate must read for all!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of New Age Pseudoscience -- Better books are available, May 16 2002
I was tempted to avoid writing a review of this book since many people have already pointed out it has flaws and also because some people gain hope from this book. But clearly books like this can cause worry and pain as well as provide hope. I'd like to say, yes there may be reason to hope, but don't worry about Van Praagh's details about the afterlife -- don't let this book worry you or cause you pain. This book is too flawed to worry about its details!
I've worked as a Research Physicist / Signal Processor for over 20 years and have no doubt that Van Praagh would flunk high school physics. (Maybe even 6th grade science! My 6th grade son at least correctly uses words like "energy," but Van Praagh doesn't in this book.) His science is New Age pseudoscience which is inconsistent with real science.
Also Van Praagh's discussion of religion, spirituality and philosophy is also simple-minded. That makes me think it possible he knows nothing about the afterlife either. But I'm not without hope here. It is possible Van Praagh possesses special abilities, but describes them in unscientific and simple-minded ways. (So those who gain hope from the book should not give up hope.) And lest you think I'm an extreme skeptic, I'm not. I think some (but NOT all) of "psi" has been validated to satisfy most of those scientists who have given it a careful and open-minded look -- I'd recommend Dean Radin's wonderful (and scientifically accurate) 1997 book "The Conscious Universe: The Scientific Truth of Psychic Phenomena."
And although Radin doesn't discuss the afterlife in his book, David Ray Griffin does in his ground-breaking book: "Parapsychology, Philosophy, and Spirituality : A Postmodern Exploration." Griffin is a follower of the famous philosopher Alfred North Whitehead. Griffin examines five types of evidence for the reality of life after death: messages from mediums; apparitions; cases of the possession type; cases of the reincarnation type; and out-of-body experiences. His philosophical and empirical examinations of these phenomena suggest that they provide support for belief in these phenomena and experiences in a way consistent with modern science. Of course, even he admits this is all very speculative!
My recommendation to readers: read the books by Radin and Griffin instead of by Van Praagh. My recommendation to Van Praagh (and I hope he reads this): if some of what you're saying is real / true, get together with scientists and philosophers to express yourself in a way that isn't totally discredited by your obvious lack of scientific and philosophical knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Van Praagh's "Talking to Heaven" --- a guidebook, Oct. 20 2000
Linda Hartley (Arizona, United States) - See all my reviews
"Talking to Heaven" came to my attention, as part of my spiritual journey led me to information that explained the things that continued to happen around me, as my son Jason and I began a new way of "being" together after his transition to Heaven. Many things happened and I was always led right to the source of information that I needed, at just the right time, by following what "others" around me suggested...following only the things that resonated in my heart. I find James Van Praagh to be sincere, and humble in a very likable way,and his manner of sharing his gift of healing resonates in my heart, assuring me that he is truly genuine and I appreciate the information he shares. I believe he speaks the truth when he mentions an "inner knowingness" as the way to access this information, and all of the things happened before I read this book, and I assure you that we are definitely connected to our loved ones always, in "all ways" and gifts of love are the blessings we receive from our loved ones when we realize that being "aware" in a new way and trusting our feelings is all we have to do...just believe!

1.0 out of 5 stars Trying To Help,,,but left with questions, May 7 2000
I believe that James Van Praagh in his own way is trying to help people,but to me it feels like another fad spiritual journey book as many others are and the book has the same basic foundation of death,white light and reincarnation,and it leaves me with the notion that this is a recipe,a sort of generalization of the afterlife,all is rosy and happy and we float in a mist til the next earthbound life and go through the same cycle over again until we get it right.
For those who do not believe in reincarnation,the book just doesn't do it for them,it leaves them with questions,because aren't Heaven and Hell and Reincarnation at the cores,,,religious beliefs? We get reincarnation from the Hindus and Buddist and while we should respect those religions we need to get a good look at how this book is based on just more philosophy and what MAY happen and not about what may REALLY happen after death.
The truth is,would I make much money if I were a medium and did NOT believe in reincarnation? Probably not,because reincarnation is a cultural fad at present and the mediums who believe in it are more in favor of the public than I would be in,because of my lack of belief in reincarnation the public would not favor my advice and probably not buy any of my books.
Plus I saw a post on this site about a person who's sister died and they are sad that their sister may be floating around in white light doing nothing,,that would leave me concerned as well, because we all need to be active and learning no matter on what side of life we may be in. I'd guess the sister would be busy and active and would be having a very meaning life on the other side,,I'd take this book with a huge grain of salt and alot of thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars STILL A WINNER: THIS BESTSELLER WILL BE A BEST BACKLIST, May 3 2000
George Dalzell (LA, CA United States) - See all my reviews
James Van Praagh was the most visible and daring medium of the 20th Century, and TALKING TO HEAVEN was the book that galvanized America's attention to this subject.
This book is a first, and brought Van Praagh's remarkable talents from behind the scenes and into print to allow the reader to formulate his or her own judgments regarding remarkable claims of communication with those in "an afterlife."
As a mental health professional who has interviewed close friends and sitters who have had readings from Van Praagh in Los Angeles, I have seen enormous therapeutic gains in some cases as a direct result from Van Praagh's work. TALKING TO HEAVEN offers top notch case studies and an accurate history of Van Praagh's background before going public on TV to perform demonstrations for millions of television viewers.
My personal belief is that TV is not the best medium for mediums, while books are (next to private readings). And this book is a winner from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right Place at the Right Time, May 1 2000
By A Customer
I was in the airport on a layover while on my way to New Mexico to help my sister with her dying husband. While filling time I wandered thru a magazine & book shop, and found myself in front of a book named TALKING TO HEAVEN. I picked it up, read a little and purchased it. I read part of it on the plane and the rest while at my sister's. Just before Tom died, I had a conversation with him and asked if he was afraid, gave him encouragement, and told him I knew his beloved mother would be there to help him cross. He thanked me, and then smiled. I felt it helped him pass a bit less afraid, and maybe even a little anxious to see his mom. Just this past week, I had a simular conversation with my 40 year old niece just before she died, telling her that her sister would be there to help her. She squeezed my hand and passed on three hours later. If this really helps, and it certainly seems to, I owe it all to James Van Praugh's willingness to share his story in Talking To Heaven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting and Healing, April 9 2000
I am very aware that many people will believe this message and many will not. I want to take this review to a place that makes sense for most people. It doesn't matter if you believe James Van Praagh is talking to people in Heaven or not. To me, his take on Spiritual themes are very accurate. For me, a good guide to quality spiritual books is to look for those who promote love and not fear. If a book is filled with fear, this is not one that will promote peace and truth. I find his message filled with unconditioned awareness that is the essence of soul. In Mr. Praagh's words, I hear a strong sense of humble gratitude for his gift and not arrogance that would lead me to think he is false. I highly recommend this book to anyone searching for a sense of meaning and hope beyond this life. This book is not written to be a practical caregiving book. This book relates more to the spiritual side of people searching for comfort and healing. -- Samuel Oliver, author of, WHAT THE DYING TEACH US: LESSONS ON LIVING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting and Healing, April 9 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Each to his own, March 22 2000
By A Customer
Having lost several loved ones over the years has made our family somewhat sensitive to the subject of DEATH. To all those disbelievers & Bible thumpers I say "hogwash". Were it not for our strong belief in the afterlife & people like James Van Praagh we would never have survived the death of our son in a freak car accident at the young age of 21. I wish I had room to list all the messages he sent us letting us know he was alright & did not commit suicide as I originally thought. This is something I did not tell a soul & kept inside for many, many months! Our daughter, his sister, who was 16 at the time had a hard time understanding the why's & how's. He was her best friend, her confidant & wasn't sure how she was going to go on so we finally took her to see a psychic I had been seeing for over 10 years. I did not know that she also channels until our son came thru her to explain everything to our daughter. He also told her to "tell Mom that he did not commit suicide; it was just his time to go". Imagine her shock to find out that's what was on my mind.
It's been 5 years & a day doesn't go by that he is not missed. Again, we send our thanks to James Van Praagh for helping us live thru the dark days & nights. We first learned of his abilities right after his death & seems like every time we turned on the TV there was a talk show featuring him. And if it wasn't him it was stories about angels. We felt that was our sons way of contacting us.
I can't wait for all the nay sayers trying to prove him a fraud; cashing in on us "poor, can't spell second class citizens" when they finally cross over & are met by all their loved ones!
One more thing, one of the occasions when our son came to us to let us know he was o.k. he was accompanied by our beloved cat who had passed away 2 weeks before & slept with him every night. It was comforting to know they are still together.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death by James Van Praagh (Mass Market Paperback - March 1 1999)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54