5.0 out of 5 stars Bold and Encouraging
If you've lost a loved one, have psychic intuitive abilities that you are trying to figure out, if you are a fan of Jonathan Edwards or Tiffany Snow or Sylvia Browne, this book will be a pleasure. Understand what it is like to live the unique life, one where no path is there to follow, and the trail blazing is left up to you. We don't die! Just our body does! We should...
Published on Feb. 16 2005 by Tim Sutton

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you buying this?
I found this medium du jour's words patronizing and extremely difficult to believe. Much of what he writes is simplistic, vague and shallow. The age-old art of giving people want you know they want to hear has not been lost in this book. It bothers me that grieving people will pay for such shamelessly peddled drivel.
Published on July 25 2002 by J. Eshbaugh

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to JumpStart Your New Year, Dec 13 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death (Mass Market Paperback)
This time of year is the perfect time to look over the past 12 months and ask ourselves, did I do something that really count? Did I grow spiritually, spending time in reading and stimulating conversations, continuing to answer the questions that really matter? Did I share what I knew with others, to encourage and promote love and understanding? If your answer is one where you wish to do more, jumpstart your personal advancement this year by reading this book!
The author captures the reader very well, and my excitement compelled me to finish this book within a few days. I live in the San Diego area, and would invite you to also read the books of three local authors, all of which I have heard at various speaking engagements, and were extremely impressed with, and subsequently bought their books. If you haven't read their books this past year, I would recommend them for your New Year, to help create a new, more powerful and intuitive New You in 2004:

- Deepak Chopra: The Spontaneous Fulfilment of Desire
- Jack Canfield/ Mark Hansen: Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living Your Dreams (Not Local, but excellent, uplifting stories)
- Tiffany Snow: Psychic Gifts in the Christian Life - Tools to Connect
- Marie Jones: Looking for God in All the Wrong Places

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking to Heaven, Nov. 1 2003
"Talking to Heaven" by James Van Praagh provided me with spiritual comfort after the loss of my brother. Praagh is a Medium who has the abilities to communicate with departed souls. As a young child, he realized that he had this special gift and has been doing it for most of his adult life. The personal insights of Praagh's work are fascinating. The many different stories of people finding that their loved ones are still present around them are enlightening. The book is well written with inspiring content. Praagh's natural writing style and his discussions of the afterlife are very easy to understand. The book is uplifting and easy to read. I have always believed in spirits and Angels. James refers to them as "Guides". My brother died a year and a half ago. It was the hardest experience I have ever dealt with. He was not only my brother but also my best friend. This book has helped me to believe that he is still with me in spirit. Even though I have never practiced Praagh's methods of contacting the dead (which he says everyone has the ability to do) I have felt the presence of my brother at different times. One such time being while I was driving in my car and thinking of him with tears rolling down my face. I asked for some kind of sign from him. In the next instant his favorite song came on the radio. I knew he was with me. The book made me understand more of what I have always believed. Knowing that our loved ones are still with us in everyday life is very comforting. This book gave me a feeling of inner peace. I think this book is a must for anyone who has an open mind whether they are grieving for someone or not. It is well written with inspiring content. It is based on the personal insights and fascinating work of James Van Praagh as a Medium. His stories heal the heart. His awareness of life after death is not false. I compliment him on the feeling of comfort and healing that I received from his book. It helped me in grief healing and spiritual growth. I believe that there is indeed life after death and that the spirit of a loved one is an unbreakable bond. I enjoyed reading this book. It made me smile as well as shed tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars One ear to heaven, one to earth, Feb. 8 2004
By A Customer
I just bought Talking to Heaven and a book by a healer/psychic I hadn't heard of until I got her new book, Psychic Gifts, and after reading both, I loved Psychic Gifts and thought Talking to Heaven was just okay. I am giving James 5 stars cause he's a great medium but if you want to read a book you cannot put down, get Psychic Gifts by Tiffany Snow, which truly has one ear to (listening to)heaven and one ear to earth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, March 5 2003
Lea Dimarucut (California, United States) - See all my reviews
Though there isn't really anything new here that we can't find in other mediums' books, it was still fun to read about James Van Praagh's personal experiences in his field. This book is a quick read that's very easy to comprehend. It's ideal for those who are new to psychism and want to better understand its workings.
What I particularly loved about TALKING TO HEAVEN was the part where we learn he doesn't just communicate with departed people. He does it with animals, too. That was touching and very interesting. Can't say I've read much about other mediums doing the same thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life altering book, Feb. 28 2003
Arlene Millman "chyron24" (Huntington, New York United States) - See all my reviews
A life altering book, that will bring solace and relief, no matter what stage of grief, or what the circumstances of loss are. The perfect gift for a grieving relative or friend. Arlene Millman, author of BOOMERANG - A MIRACLE TRILOGY

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking to Heaven, Dec 31 2002
By A Customer
This is a wonderful book that brings enter peace as you read. It is meant to be read with a very open mind. Where your griefing for someone or not it is worth the time and effort to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you lost someone you loved read this!, Nov. 15 2002
What a comfort to know that there is something more than "just" living life (there is purpose in everything). James shows us we all have purpose on earth and beyond. Now I don't feel so alone I know my loved ones are with me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Talking to Heaven, Oct. 14 2002
The book was very helpful in dealing whith the death of my daughter, knowing that she is still with me. I have read the book twice, and probably will read it again. I have order another copy for my friend to read, hoping it will bring him the confort it has brought me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best book I have ever read, July 25 2002
First, if you aren't open to believing in Mediums, then perhaps this book may seem like a farce, but I DO believe. This book changed my life, literally. I am no longer afraid of dying or death. There isn't much more to say, other than I highly recommend this to those who are in touch with spirituality and have faith that Mediums are exactly who they claim to be.

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of New Age Pseudoscience -- Better books are available, May 16 2002
I was tempted to avoid writing a review of this book since many people have already pointed out it has flaws and also because some people gain hope from this book. But clearly books like this can cause worry and pain as well as provide hope. I'd like to say, yes there may be reason to hope, but don't worry about Van Praagh's details about the afterlife -- don't let this book worry you or cause you pain. This book is too flawed to worry about its details!
I've worked as a Research Physicist / Signal Processor for over 20 years and have no doubt that Van Praagh would flunk high school physics. (Maybe even 6th grade science! My 6th grade son at least correctly uses words like "energy," but Van Praagh doesn't in this book.) His science is New Age pseudoscience which is inconsistent with real science.
Also Van Praagh's discussion of religion, spirituality and philosophy is also simple-minded. That makes me think it possible he knows nothing about the afterlife either. But I'm not without hope here. It is possible Van Praagh possesses special abilities, but describes them in unscientific and simple-minded ways. (So those who gain hope from the book should not give up hope.) And lest you think I'm an extreme skeptic, I'm not. I think some (but NOT all) of "psi" has been validated to satisfy most of those scientists who have given it a careful and open-minded look -- I'd recommend Dean Radin's wonderful (and scientifically accurate) 1997 book "The Conscious Universe: The Scientific Truth of Psychic Phenomena."
And although Radin doesn't discuss the afterlife in his book, David Ray Griffin does in his ground-breaking book: "Parapsychology, Philosophy, and Spirituality : A Postmodern Exploration." Griffin is a follower of the famous philosopher Alfred North Whitehead. Griffin examines five types of evidence for the reality of life after death: messages from mediums; apparitions; cases of the possession type; cases of the reincarnation type; and out-of-body experiences. His philosophical and empirical examinations of these phenomena suggest that they provide support for belief in these phenomena and experiences in a way consistent with modern science. Of course, even he admits this is all very speculative!
My recommendation to readers: read the books by Radin and Griffin instead of by Van Praagh. My recommendation to Van Praagh (and I hope he reads this): if some of what you're saying is real / true, get together with scientists and philosophers to express yourself in a way that isn't totally discredited by your obvious lack of scientific and philosophical knowledge.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death by James Van Praagh (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 12 2001)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54