5.0 out of 5 stars Herbal Healing and Kitchen-Cabinet Cures, Oct. 14 2000
Since the beginning of time, people have crushed herbs in a mortar and pestle to extract the healing properties and to mix herbal remedies. Herbs are in fact the best alternatives to over-the-counter medications and they have fewer side effect.
I love the fact that regular kitchen herbs and spices can be very beneficial, so I try to add them into the foods I love when appropriate. In this book you will find out which ordinary kitchen spices you can use for health benefits.
So, which herbs work better than drugs? Well, I love Echinacea for cold season. They also recommend "astragalus" which is a herb. It boosts your body's resistance to cold, flu and other viruses. Studies have proven that it has antiviral and antibacterial properties. Unlike Echinacea, you can take astragalus everyday. Echinacea is for seasonal use and this book does have some warnings you will want to read.
You will also find out:
Which herbs kill viruses that antibiotics don't! Which wildflower can stop excruciating migraines! (Feverfew tincture/not dried leaves) How to improve your vision. (Bilberries) How to recover from the flu in half the time. (Elderberries) Which kitchen spice you can use for inflammation. (Turmeric) Which herb relieves menopausal symptoms. (Black Cohosh) How to relieve arthritis pain. (Boswellia, Stinging Nettle and Evening Primrose) How to unclog your arteries. How to grow your own medicinal herbs. How to heal your child's earaches. To lift your spirits. (Try lavender- my favorite) How to naturally deal with diabetes! (Fenugreek)
Once you find which herbs you need, you can also look for tea in your health store or buy bottles of the specific herb. You can also find herbs to treat varicose veins, halt macular degeneration, and cure gout with cherries. You will also read why you should not take Tums for calcium. Some interesting information on "chocolate," and more information than I can list. This book will help you to solve over 100 health problems. This is a perfect gift for a friend who is interested in healthy alternatives. Herbs, essential oils and other natural remedies keep me out of the doctor's office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opens up a world of herbal options for optimal health, Feb. 16 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Herbal Drugstore (Mass Market Paperback)
I like the way this book lists herbal remedies side by side with conventional medical treatments. It's useful to see your options laid out like that. I like the organization. It's easy to find what you need. I also like that one of the authors has an M.D. it's encouraging to see that a traditionally trained doctor sees the value of phytomedicinals. The book is organized by health problems. Under each heading, there is a listing of herbal as well as conventional remedies, as well as a paragraph describing how each remedy works. This method of organization makes much more sense than listing herbs alphabetically, especially for someone who's in a hurry to find something. I only just received the book from amazon.com, but I can already foresee that I will use it often. I only wish they had made the book bigger and printed it on nicer paper. Oh well...you can't have everything, I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best home herbal reference books!, March 20 2001
I really LOVE this book, and I have a lot of books on herbal medicine. What I like about the herbal drugstore is how it gives both the typical prescription drugs for common ailments, and the herbal alternatives. It also describes how the herbs are supposed to work (if it is known.) That alone sets this book apart from most other herbal references. This would be a terrific first book on the subject for anyone's home library and I think it adds a lot to my shelf on herbs.
There are good drawings of the herbs, sections on vitamins, excercises, nutrition, combining herbs with prescription medicines (some can interfere; tell your physician) and much more. Yet the book has a very well-designed format, clear print, good organization and is chatty and readable. What more could you ask for? If I could give this book 10 stars, I would. It is THAT good,

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Comparative Reference by M.D., Jan. 4 2001
"neebanne" (Metairie, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
This book finally discusses the use of herbs and roots from an authoritative point of view. It compares common herbs to prescription medications, with an analysis of the ailment and each type of remedy. The authors and editorial staff have formal training from conventional medical schools and were able to do an actual comparative analysis of "natural herbal remedies" to over the counter and prescribed medications, for various common ailments. The book is well organized by malady, with an excellent reference guide for purchasing products and information on associations, and additional publications of interest. Good reading, very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uniquely worth having, Feb. 16 2001
By A Customer
I looked at this book not expecting to get hooked and actually pay for it--I was sure it would be redundant (my mother and I both seem to have a weakness for these Rodale books, and--well, on a modest scale--we have amassed a library of them!). But I was disappointed to learn that this book is uniquely useful and informative in ways the other Rodale books don't overlap--in ways that I don't even think having access to the Internet, and its information on herbs, could conveniently replace. It's well laid out, too--you can access the herbal information you're looking for in a number of ways. Sighhhh. I'm afraid it's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and informational, Sept. 27 2000
This book has provided me with information about herbal therapy that I might not have received from other sources. I have found the book easy to read and extremely informative. I have tried some of the remedies that they have recommended and they have worked for me! I have brought this book into work because many of my co-workers were curious to find out about it. Some of them have indicated that they will purchase it for their own use. The alphabetical listing of ailments is one of the most helpful things about the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Reference, Oct. 18 2001
I originally picked this book up at the library while taking a class on herbal medicine and was so impressed with it that I bought a copy. It contains clear and concise information on a variety of ailments with not only the herbal remedies but also their drug counterparts. There are "recipes" for herbal mixtures for some of the ailments. This is a book that will be referred to time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book on using herbs as medicine, Aug. 24 2001
Lots of infomation and easy to read. What I liked about the book was that it has a section where it gives you addresses where you can buy herbs and herbal products. I also liked how the book is presented. For each of the herb listed, it givs the source, part used, forms available, uses, and caution. It also lists what herbs to use for what aliments you may have like a cold or acne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, Feb. 28 2001
I am new to the "herbal scene", and have read a number of books on the subject of herbs and healing (I myself have asthma, r. arthritis, and fibromyalgia) and found it to be an excellent resource. It's perfect for those of us who know very little about the subject, and very easy to read (not like a textbook).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent medical reference book!, Jan. 23 2003
This review is from: The Herbal Drugstore (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a thorough book that includes information about possible interactions between herbal remedies and prescription drugs.

The Herbal Drugstore
The Herbal Drugstore by Steven Foster (Mass Market Paperback - April 2 2002)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54