5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Warming! You will want to read it over & over!
"Phantom Waltz" is the second in the Kendrick/Coulter series, and you first meet Ryan and fall in love with him in "Baby Love." I felt like I gained two best friends by the end! Both Ryan and Bethany were good, honest and caring people, who so deserved a happy ever after.
You will not be disappointed in any book by Catherine Anderson. Her...
Published on June 6 2004 by Bill Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected better than this...
Published on April 8 2004 by Hanan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Warming! You will want to read it over & over!, June 6 2004
You will not be disappointed in any book by Catherine Anderson. Her characters and stories are just beautiful!

4.0 out of 5 stars A book you should read, April 12 2004
By A Customer
I'm happy to have found a romance book with a difference.I've worked with paraplegics and Bethany's character is very real. And, yes there are Ryans out there. I love this book.
If you like Phantom Waltz, check out, 'A Perfect Rose', by Mary Jo Putney and 'Shadows of the Past' by Hilda St James.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected better than this..., April 8 2004
In Phantom Waltz, millionaire rancher Ryan meets and falls for blue-eyed Bethany, even before he finds out she is wheelchair-bound. Bethany cannot help but fall in love with sweet, caring, thoughtful Ryan, yet decides she is never going to be the woman he deserves, and when he realizes she is trying to avoid him, he sets out to convince her in every possible way that they are meant for each other.
Even though this book explains in admirable details the difficulties a paraplegic meets in normal daily activities, and shares the emotional turmoil such a life causes, I cannot help but point out that in this book, Anderson chose to use a character that doesn't have a complete Spinal Cord Injury, so that she still has some feeling in parts of her lower limbs, as well as being continent, which is, I know a huge blessing for a paraplegic person.
In the Preface, Anderson explains that traditionally in romances, the characters are physically perfect, and that she wanted to write something different as a tribute to those in our society who are disabled, as this is a subject around which novelists usually tip-toe or try to avoid altogether.
I can't help but feel out that even though Anderson wrote a wonderful book portraying the life of a paraplegic, she still chose that her character be blessed with some bodily functions that most paraplegics are not left with.
Basically at the end of this book all I could think was; even Anderson didn't dare venture into a story where her character has -for instance- a complete spinal cord injury at T 1 instead of an incomplete injury at L1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, sweet and heartwarming, Oct. 1 2003
Latrinaloo "latrinaloo2" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I had a very hard time putting this book down and hated to say goodbye to the characters when it ended. They had come to feel like family. Catherine Anderson has a true gift - she can create deep emotion better than most other romance genre authors. Her plots are compelling and tender. If there is a quirk, it is that the hero was seemingly without flaw in his pursuit of his lady. He moved heaven and earth to woo her, but all that selflessness was just a tad unbelieveable. However, we can all use an uplifting fairy tale now and then. This is escapism at its finest. Keep 'em coming Catherine - you have a very devoted fan in me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, May 23 2003
Denice Wansley (New Llano, LA USA) - See all my reviews
After having read the millionth (it seems) romance novel about "perfect" heroes and heroines, I was in the mood for something different. I'd heard about this book when it first came out, but didn't buy it until recently because I wasn't sure I could connect with a heroine who was paraplegic. But the story intrigued me so much I just had to read it and I have to say, I'm really glad I did! I loved everything--the characters, Bethany and Ryan's situation, and especially that Ryan loved her even though she was different. And because it was so different from everything else I'd read, the length of it (418 pages!) didn't bother me at all. They just seemed to fly by because I was so interested in learning more about Bethany and wanting to see how she and Ryan overcame their problems.
If you're in the mood for a change from the norm, this is a book you should definitely buy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I read the same book as everybody else?, May 11 2003
K. Morgan (United States) - See all my reviews
It seems as if just about everyone who reviewed this book liked it. I hate to be in the minority but this book was rather boring to me. The characters were too perfect and the story was just too long. I read the hard cover edition and it seemed to me that the 418 pages could have been shortened to 200 without hurting the storyline. I was bored by page 30 but kept reading because I didn't want to waste my money. I had to force myself to finish the book, and it took me two weeks! In my opinion this story just dragged on and on. It would get interesting and start moving at a faster pace then all of a sudden the storyline just got stuck. The best part of the story was when Cleo the cat went for a ride on T-Bone the bovine.
About the characters. There were too many supporting characters. They didn't seem to develop very well or play a very big part in the story. They were just there to fill the pages. The main characters seemed to sappy to me. Ryan was just to perfect and understanding to seem believable. Bethany also seemed to be too perfect, even though she didn't have the use of her legs. Everything else about her just seemed to be too wonderful.
This was the first book I read by this author. And I hate to say it but it will be the last. This book was just to boring for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Romantic Novel, May 10 2003
"hisamsmith" (Indpls, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I LOVED this book. I'm a quadrapeligic. This book's hero is Ryan, Rafe's (Baby Love) little brother. He meets Bethany, a parapelgic, at her father's store, yet he doesn't relize she's handicapped until after he's asked her out. He keeps the date out of pity but finds out she's his perfect girl. The only problem, sex. It's really cute he's the one chasing her. All around I loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a little too perfect, Jan. 17 2003
M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
"Phantom Waltz" was the first book that I had read by Catherine Anderson and I to say I'm not sure if I would read anything else by her. I was not 40 pages into the book, when I realized that Ryan (The main male character) was perfect. I mean he was rich, handsome, and the most understanding male on the whole planet. Ms Anderson seem to make light of the fact that Bethany(main female character) was in a wheelchair. We didn't see any deep emotions either of the two characters. In fact, at on point I did stop reading the book and the only reason that I went back to it, was I paid 6.99 for it. If you are a fan of Ms. Anderson you will like, but if you are looking read emotions, go else where.

4.0 out of 5 stars A touching romance, Oct. 24 2002
By A Customer
This truly was a touching love story. Although I'm sure that someone who is more well-informed about parapalegics could punch holes in some aspects of this story, I think it works for those of us who simply have pedestrian knowledge on the subject.
As with most Catherine Anderson heros, the hero of this one (Ryan) is perfect and immediately falls head over heels in love with the heroine (Bethany). And, this, perhaps, is the only flaw in this and other of Anderson's novels. Anderson frequently asks her readers to believe in love at first sight. After one date, Ryan decides he has serious intentions toward Bethany (read: marriage). Perhaps such a phenomenon does exist, but I don't believe in it (neither do most people) and I like it better when the hero gradually comes to realize his love for the heroine -- that is more true to life. Also, I like my heroes to have at least one flaw to make them more real. No woman in her right mind would reject a Catherine Anderson hero. I wasn't able to find one flaw in Ryan. Now, some readers might say that romance novel readers know that romances are unrealistic and expect perfect heroes and love at first sight. Hence, these same readers might say, this isn't a flaw in Anderson's writing. However, I think many readers are like myself: even though we realize that romance novels are fantasy, we like the illusion of some reality so that we can truly escape and dream that a love story like the one we're reading could be real.
But, that is the only real flaw I could find in this otherwise wonderful love story. Some readers commented that Anderson overemphasized the sexual side of the relationship in this novel. I disagree. I think any woman would be concerned about pleasing the man she loves in bed (as vice versa). This would be a particular concern for a woman who thinks she may not be able to experience the same sensations as would a woman who doesn't have a handicap. Since this was one of Bethany's major worries, I don't think the attention Anderson gave to it was not overkill. At least with Anderson's sex scenes, you know that the hero and heroine are in love. So many other romance writers simply string together sex scenes without really convincing readers that love exists between the two protagonists.
All in all, this is a lovely novel. Yes, it is sappy at times, but readers can get past this and enjoy it anyway. It's definitely worth buying.

2.0 out of 5 stars a little too sappy and a little too corny, Jan. 11 2002
By A Customer
Catherine Anderson is a good author and can tend to be a little corny at times and this book really was."Phantom Waltz" was not keeper for me. It has nothing to do with the story being about a paraplegic, that's a fine subject to tackle and I agree that so many authors heroines are just too perfect to be real. The verbatum and the storyline were just a little on the hokey side for my taste.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Phantom Waltz
Phantom Waltz by Catherine Anderson (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 2 2007)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89