5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW FAN
While shopping at a local book store I saw this book in the new releases isle. I had never read a book by Catherine Anderson, but I was really intrigued by the story line in this book. I was excited to have a chance to read a romance novel that was unique and interesting.
Published on July 27 2001 by A NEW FAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected better than this...
Published on April 8 2004 by Hanan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected better than this..., April 8 2004
In Phantom Waltz, millionaire rancher Ryan meets and falls for blue-eyed Bethany, even before he finds out she is wheelchair-bound. Bethany cannot help but fall in love with sweet, caring, thoughtful Ryan, yet decides she is never going to be the woman he deserves, and when he realizes she is trying to avoid him, he sets out to convince her in every possible way that they are meant for each other.
Even though this book explains in admirable details the difficulties a paraplegic meets in normal daily activities, and shares the emotional turmoil such a life causes, I cannot help but point out that in this book, Anderson chose to use a character that doesn't have a complete Spinal Cord Injury, so that she still has some feeling in parts of her lower limbs, as well as being continent, which is, I know a huge blessing for a paraplegic person.
In the Preface, Anderson explains that traditionally in romances, the characters are physically perfect, and that she wanted to write something different as a tribute to those in our society who are disabled, as this is a subject around which novelists usually tip-toe or try to avoid altogether.
I can't help but feel out that even though Anderson wrote a wonderful book portraying the life of a paraplegic, she still chose that her character be blessed with some bodily functions that most paraplegics are not left with.
Basically at the end of this book all I could think was; even Anderson didn't dare venture into a story where her character has -for instance- a complete spinal cord injury at T 1 instead of an incomplete injury at L1.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I read the same book as everybody else?, May 11 2003
K. Morgan (United States) - See all my reviews
It seems as if just about everyone who reviewed this book liked it. I hate to be in the minority but this book was rather boring to me. The characters were too perfect and the story was just too long. I read the hard cover edition and it seemed to me that the 418 pages could have been shortened to 200 without hurting the storyline. I was bored by page 30 but kept reading because I didn't want to waste my money. I had to force myself to finish the book, and it took me two weeks! In my opinion this story just dragged on and on. It would get interesting and start moving at a faster pace then all of a sudden the storyline just got stuck. The best part of the story was when Cleo the cat went for a ride on T-Bone the bovine.
About the characters. There were too many supporting characters. They didn't seem to develop very well or play a very big part in the story. They were just there to fill the pages. The main characters seemed to sappy to me. Ryan was just to perfect and understanding to seem believable. Bethany also seemed to be too perfect, even though she didn't have the use of her legs. Everything else about her just seemed to be too wonderful.
This was the first book I read by this author. And I hate to say it but it will be the last. This book was just to boring for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A touching romance, Oct. 24 2002
By A Customer
This truly was a touching love story. Although I'm sure that someone who is more well-informed about parapalegics could punch holes in some aspects of this story, I think it works for those of us who simply have pedestrian knowledge on the subject.
As with most Catherine Anderson heros, the hero of this one (Ryan) is perfect and immediately falls head over heels in love with the heroine (Bethany). And, this, perhaps, is the only flaw in this and other of Anderson's novels. Anderson frequently asks her readers to believe in love at first sight. After one date, Ryan decides he has serious intentions toward Bethany (read: marriage). Perhaps such a phenomenon does exist, but I don't believe in it (neither do most people) and I like it better when the hero gradually comes to realize his love for the heroine -- that is more true to life. Also, I like my heroes to have at least one flaw to make them more real. No woman in her right mind would reject a Catherine Anderson hero. I wasn't able to find one flaw in Ryan. Now, some readers might say that romance novel readers know that romances are unrealistic and expect perfect heroes and love at first sight. Hence, these same readers might say, this isn't a flaw in Anderson's writing. However, I think many readers are like myself: even though we realize that romance novels are fantasy, we like the illusion of some reality so that we can truly escape and dream that a love story like the one we're reading could be real.
But, that is the only real flaw I could find in this otherwise wonderful love story. Some readers commented that Anderson overemphasized the sexual side of the relationship in this novel. I disagree. I think any woman would be concerned about pleasing the man she loves in bed (as vice versa). This would be a particular concern for a woman who thinks she may not be able to experience the same sensations as would a woman who doesn't have a handicap. Since this was one of Bethany's major worries, I don't think the attention Anderson gave to it was not overkill. At least with Anderson's sex scenes, you know that the hero and heroine are in love. So many other romance writers simply string together sex scenes without really convincing readers that love exists between the two protagonists.
All in all, this is a lovely novel. Yes, it is sappy at times, but readers can get past this and enjoy it anyway. It's definitely worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and different, Nov. 20 2001
I'm a longtime romance reader and, as Catherine Anderson says in her foreward, every now and then I get a little tired with the perfection of the prototype romance characters. With this book Ms. Anderson tries to stand that convention on its head, and succeeds in almost every way.
The heroine, Bethany, is a paraplegic, injured far more than physically over the years because of her accident and the attitudes of people around her. She's wounded, wary and repressed in almost every way. The hero, Ryan, is a perfect romance hero in that he's goodlooking, rich, sensitive, etc, etc, etc. He's almost too good to be true, but Ms. Anderson saves him from being too much a cliche by having Bethany react to him the same way the reader does -- "Can this guy possibly be for real?!" Much to Bethany's delight, he is. And he wants to be in it for the long haul before Bethany does.
The genuine emotion and feeling Ms. Anderson evokes between these two characters saves what could be some really melodramatic scenarios. Aside from a few odd plot points that didn't resonate with me, I really enjoyed spending a few hours getting to know Ryan and Bethany, and watching their love story unfold. I think you will too. Give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and different, Nov. 20 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan, Aug. 5 2001
By A Customer
Catherine Anderson thanks a nurse who helped her with her research for this book. Unfortunately, that seems to be the extent of her research. If Ms. Anderson had actually talked to paraplegics, I think she would have written a very different book. Are we really to believe that an educated, independent, ostensibly adjusted and self-aware woman moves back to her home town, only to be coddled by her over-protective family? Obviously so, since the heroine instantly falls in love with an equally over-protective man. The descriptions of a paraplegic's struggles and frustration are highly clinical, used simply as the vehicle for driving the conflict in the romance: the heroine doesn't believe that she could ever satisfy someone as a wife and partner. Come on! The heroine's willingness to give control over to Ryan from the start of their relationship and her total lack of sexual awareness is just plain unbelievable(and insulting). 26-year old Bethany knows nothing AT ALL about sex, leaving it up to Ryan to "educate" her. While Ryan, the book's hero, ostensibly falls in love with Bethany because of her wit and feistiness, Bethany herself doesn't actually demonstrate this anywhere in the book. Far from witty, the dialog is unnatural--more often than not used for clinical explanations of what Ms. Anderson believes are a paraplegic's struggles. The hero, Ryan is hopelessly one dimensional, deciding to marry Bethany after their first date and taking control of their relationship accordingly. Ms. Anderson's focus on Bethany's disability as the plot line provides an excuse to not develop her characters. Bethany is consumed with not disappointing Ryan and Ryan is consumed with showing Bethany that he can care for her. We know nothing about the inner struggles and flaws that might make these characters real, sympathetic, and actually likable. The romance between Bethany plays out as the traditional convention of helpless female and controlling male, with Bethany's disability serving as the source of her helplessness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW FAN, July 27 2001
Catherine Anderson did not let me down. In fact, I found tears flowing in some sections of the book, followed by uncontrollable joy right after. I was impressed, to say the least. What really surprised me was the fact that Catherine was able to tell this story in such a way that I was left with the strong impression that she must have a relative who is wheel chair bound. If she doesn't, she has really done a lot of research to make this novel not only fun to read but believable.
I am wheel chair bound. I have been for years now. Luckly for me, my spouse's love for me was able to endure the new found hardship on our lives. I found myself thinking back to the first few years after my accident while reading this book. The story line was done so well that it uplifted my heart.
Thanks Catherine. You now have a loyal fan. I will be buying all of your past books. I am doomed to get nothing done for at least a month.
A new fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars offensive to paraplegics, July 23 2001
By A Customer
As the wife of a paraplegic with a low-level spinal cord injury similar to Bethany's (the heroine), I can tell you first hand that this book is full of inaccuracies and weird assumptions -- perhaps gathered from cheezy tv movies on Lifetime TV -- about paraplegia. This heroine can do nothing for herself. While it is common in romance novels to have a VERY helpless heroine in an effort to accentuate the hero's hugely Alpha-male qualities, this heroine is, in fact, an insult to ALL women, and does a grave disservice to paraplegics of any gender. My husband, after I read aloud a few of the more ridiculous passages, said, "That is the most insulting, uneducated, ignorant garbage since 'Jerry's Kids'! Why do they publish that #@&* ??" The author, plainly, did her research from textbooks only, and appears not to have interviewed real women who use wheelchairs.
Beyond the medical/physical inaccuracies and stereotyped assumptions regarding spinal cord injurues and the extreme and unreal weaknesses and dependencies of a total SAP of a heroine, the HERO is a total macho control freak. In his quest to "make her life easier," he takes the heroine's entire life in his hands, and, in my opinion, resorts to emotional blackmail in an effort to "make her marry him." I find this behavior just plain icky. While there are those who may find "his heart in the right place," I find him over-bearing and a total Neanderthal.
If you like accurate, politically correct romances, then this book is NOT for you.
But if you like sappy, unrealistic, un-PC, ME-MAN-YOU-WEAK-CRIPPLED-WOMAN romances, then go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Anderson's Best Book Yet!, July 15 2001
Maudeen Wachsmith "BeachReader" (Port Townsend, WA) - See all my reviews
Catherine Anderson, well-known for her unconventional heroines, has created her most unusual yet with Bethany Coulter—a paraplegic and the love interest of Ryan Kendrick, brother of Rafe Kendrick from BABY LOVE.
This book is totally character driven, is much spicier sexually than books I usually read, has virtually no plot other than the relationship between the hero and heroine--- and yet, I couldn’t put the book down once I started.
Ryan, who had had his share of love interests throughout the years is in his early 30s and ready to settle down. Seeing his brother’s happiness after marrying Maggie, Ryan would like some of that same happiness for himself. When he sees lovely Bethany Coulter sitting at a computer at the farm parts store owned by her father, he is immediately lovestruck. He already decides he wants to ask her out – when she notices that the chair she is sitting in is a wheelchair. Bethany had been paralyzed from the waist down in a barrel racing accident eight years previously.
Bethany at first tells Ryan a gentle no, but Ryan refuses to take this no for an answer and finally wears down her resolve. They go on a first date to a tractor pull but first, finding out her interest in horses, takes her out to his ranch to see his newborn colt. ...
One of the most unusual secondary characters in the story is a friendly bull named T-bone, who had been sickly as a young calf, and Ryan had taken such a liking to him that he refused to have him castrated. When he makes friends with Cleo, Bethany’s cat, the picture of this cat, sleeping on the back of this enormous bull, makes for an unusual scene to say the least.
Readers of BABY LOVE will enjoy being re-acquainted with the main characters from that book including Rafe, Maggie, her sister Heidi, her mother Helen, their son Jaime, and new baby daughter Amelia.
Anderson has written yet another page turner. Her unusual heroines (a deaf heroine, abused heroine, a heroine accused of murder) and storylines have become her hallmark – she risks a lot here in creating such an usual heroine. But she does it with finesse and style, never making Bethany a character to be pitied but instead a strong woman with a life of her own, becoming more than she ever dreamt she could be. All combine for a book readers should be putting at the top of their reading list for the summer of 2001.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving Contemporary Romance, July 12 2001
Sheri Melnick (Enola, PA United States) - See all my reviews
In Crystal Falls, Oregon, handsome rancher Ryan Kendrick walks into the local ranch supply store to check on his order and meets Bethany Coulter, one of the most beautiful women that he has ever seen. He begins flirting with her and almost immediately asks her out. Surprised when Bethany turns and Ryan realizes that she is a paraplegic, he doesn't run the other way but agrees to keep the date with her. Sparks fly on that very first date, and Ryan realizes that she is different from any of the other women that he has dated.
While wildly attracted to Ryan, Bethany is reluctant to start a relationship with him, fearing that it could only lead to heartbreak for her. Will Ryan be able to convince Bethany that he is truly in love with her, and together they can overcome any obstacles? Or will Bethany leave Ryan for fear that her disability will forever intrude in their lives?
Catherine Anderson has written a truly unique and heartwarming romance. Moving away from the classic perfect hero and heroine, Ms. Anderson gives us a slightly imperfect heroine whose imperfections have interfered with her having successful relationships in the past. The real gift of this novel is that the hero is not only able to overlook the heroine's paralysis in order to embark on their romance, but he seeks to aid the heroine in making her life as normal as possible. Emotionally stirring and well-researched, this is a novel not to be missed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Phantom Waltz
Phantom Waltz by Catherine Anderson (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 2 2007)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92