5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
Once you start reading the 10 first pages, you'll never put it down..
Easy to read. It's more about Georgia's life than Mafia, but still it's amazing.
I recommend it!
Published 13 months ago by AlBotross

3.0 out of 5 stars Save your time
Published on Nov. 16 2010 by m&m

3.0 out of 5 stars Save your time, Nov. 16 2010
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Mass Market Paperback)
Absolutely waste of time. I started the book yesterday, and two chapters into it, I felt so supprised how could a book with such a low quality receive those five star reviews, which is the reason why I bought it at first hand. The story is bad, the language is poor, and shallow. Don't waste your time. I never wrote a review in my entire life, as I think a good book speak for itself, but this time I just feel so angry about this one. Similar reason with the other reivewer I came across, I give it 3 starts to get my opinion to be seen, and hopefully save a few readers from being deceived by the untrue reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 23 2013
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Mass Market Paperback)
Once you start reading the 10 first pages, you'll never put it down..
I recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Self Serving Book, April 20 2009
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Hardcover)
When I first started reading the book, I was absolutely riveted. About half way through it began to dawn on me that Georgia single-handedly takes credit for a lot of things that brought good fortune to her friends, as well as being their saviour when the police come looking for information. I started watching for it and it made me giggle when predictably, I found at least one example in every chapter. The thing that bothered me most however, was that she comes across as one of those woman who thinks other women hate her because she's beautiful. We hate women like her because they don't have the time of day for other women and are only interested in what men can give her and do for her as they tell her how pretty she is. I felt so very bad for her daughter Toni for having to go through what she did so that her mother could remain in abusive marriages or enter into new ones repeatedly. It sickened me when she cut off ties with her daughter for becoming involved with someone 9 years older and being self-righteous about the relationship being inappropriate when Georgia herself doesn't seem to comprehend what IS appropriate behaviour. I don't understand how she could send Toni to stay with her step-father repeatedly when he was so abusive in the marriage and the fact that he isn't even her biological father. Toni was continually sent away to stay with her grandparents because of the step-father's abuse and yet, she sends her to stay with him. I guess the best phrase to describe this book is "self-serving".

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Title, March 17 2004
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Hardcover)
This book is not only gripping from start to finish ,also it opens your mind in a way only georgia can do ,i would reccomend this book to all interested in the underworld. With the changes you wouldn't think was possible .
Staffy @ [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars I have some doubts, June 10 2011
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Mass Market Paperback)
I find this story a little hard to believe to be true. It is a good story, but that's all I believe it is. It's a story of a woman who made one bad choice after another, who dumped her child on her parents constantly for her safety she says, then continued to make the same bad choices over and over and over again putting herself at huge risk with the mob. Who does that? She took very little responsibility for herself and blamed most of her bad choices on the men in her life. Oh, and every man who ever so much as looks at her is in love with her. Because she's beautiful. If the story is true, why isn't she in jail? She tells so much in this book that would have put the average person in prison for who knows how long? It just doesn't make sense to me. *IF* it's all true. Who opens up about who did what in the mob and gives names? Too many questions. So little time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Life Full Of Amazing Stories, March 5 2004
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Hardcover)
The Company She Keeps wound up being a lot more than I thought it was going to be. The cover made me think I was getting a look at life in The Mob from someone who was there. What I read was a story of a woman who was dealt a lot of rough hands but turned them into wins and lessons learned. It's amazing how Georgia Durante could suffer challenge after challenge and grow stronger through it all. So many others would just take the hits and fall down.
When Georgia tells her story of what was in her life, she presents points and ideas that teach lessons to the reader today. You see things through her heart and eyes as she survives an abusive marriage. You feel yourself get stronger as you travel with her on her escape from her abuser. You realize that no matter how much someone tears you down you always have the power to rebuild your life. You cheer as Georgia shares the happy times of her life with her parents and her children. You get the urge to follow your own dreams as Georgia finds hers as a stunt driver in Hollywood.
The Company She Keeps also shows how far we've come as a society in recognizing the problem of domestic violence. I don't want to be a spoiler, but you'll be shocked how the police used to deal with this matter. Georgia found out in a very real way.
I've read and heard about so many so-called self help books that tell you how to get through the tough times and have a great life. Those authors greatest feats are stepping on a stage and talking. Georgia's greatest feat has been living her life, facing reality and sharing the paths she took so others can find theirs.
The Company She Keeps is a book that will make a good person realize their true value and become an even greater person.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Prospective, July 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Hardcover)
The reason why I tiltled this review as "A Different Prospective" is because I believe that at 16 my review is not that of a "typical reader" to this type of book. You may even wonder now that you know my age what creditability do I even have on rating this book at all. How ever I believe that age is just a number and that it doesn't fully represent my capacity to learn and express myself.
When I went to the book store and ordered this book, I was expecting it to be a story about a woman and her life in, around and being married to Mafia men. How ever when I started reading it I found out that the author had put so much more into this book, it was like nothing I have ever read before.
Not only did this book have the suspense and dram of the typical Mafia book it was the authors very personal, shocking and true experiences thru her life.
Typical books of this genre tend to show all the glitz and glamor of the life most of us have never come close to living and in some sense making it seem almost compelling enough that you the reader would like to experience it. These type of books tend to romanticize the Mafia and all of it corruption and often leave out the brutal truth of the underworld. In Ms. Durante's book this is not true, she uses her knowledge and personal experience to give the reader a heart wrenching, breath taking look on every aspect of the underworld.
I promise you that this book has so much more to offer than just a story of a woman involved in the Mafia. It is more about a personal struggle that is very descriptively presented to the reader in such a way you feel as if you are watching the whole thing unfold before you. This is truly the type of book that makes you feel that you know the author like you would your bestfriend, because of the vivid details.
People who read this book can take a lot away from it. This is a very graphic, gripping book that tears at your heart strings. A story I believe can effect anyone who takes the time to read it. I would recommend it to anyone especially someone who is struggling in their life with an abusive situation or with their past or present situation. It truly reinstates that there is hope in any situation if you preserver enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book!! every story felt close to my own...., Dec 2 2002
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Hardcover)
i started out reading this book because i was interested in the mob...anxiously reading every page i discovered this book was so much more...georgia durante seeps into my heart when learning of her life with an abusive husband...i have all to well seen abuse throughout my childhood...my father was abusive to us children and my mother...in the end my mother succumbed to the life of violence as she was stabbed to death by my father.. this book explains every sign of abuse in any relationship. miss durante is a brave and beautiful women...she overcame her fears and has prevailed in the end...once again, her story is amazing! not only do i recommend it to anyone who finds interest in the mafia, but also to those women and men who feel they have been or are being abused...or, for that matter, are the abuser...its a quick reality check!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Truths about Living and Surviving in the Fast Lane, Aug. 10 2002
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Hardcover)
Georgia Durante's story is one of a kind. If it were to be a work of fiction, it would be considered to be too unreal to be true, because it seems too unbelievable that someone can get through all of this AND live to tell about it. But "The Company She Keeps" isn't a work of fiction. It's a breathtaking and courageous account of a breathtaking and courageous life only life itself can write. What I admire most about this well-crafted book is the honesty with which the story is told. There is simply no trace of an accusatory tone that one might expect in a book about a woman who survived organized crime, rape, an abusive marriage, threats to her life, a stalker, the law and the outlaws...(read the book for a complete list...). On the contrary, Georgia Durante admits to mistakes and the things that drew her, her thirst for adventure and life in the fast lane. And I respect that. I think it's this honesty with herself and the fact that she allows us to see all of it , through her own eyes- including the weaknesses and the messiness - that is the true achievement of this book.
Because it speaks from a place within, it has the power to reach out to others. And it certainly has reached me.
Even though I think "The Company She Keeps" is a book for women, it really is an inspiration for everybody. It's the true story of a true survivor, an encouragement to believe that "where's a will, there's a way."
I appreciate her courage to tear the silence and speak out against abuse. It's comforting to know that there is a book out there that women in similar situations may stumble upon and realize that they too can heal.
I sure would love to see Georgia Durante's story translated into German. Her life - model, mafia wife, stuntlady - makes a mix a German audience would certainly want to know more about...What do you mean, she's beautiful AND can drive a fast car?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book On The Market Today - You Must Read This Book!, Aug. 2 2002
"shel8" (Sacramento, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Company She Keeps (Hardcover)
The Company She Keeps by Georgia Durante is one of the best books I have read this year.
In this book Georgia showed us that even if it is a man's world, a woman can take all of her strengths, ... physical, mental and spritual strengths to overcome heartache, both professionally and personally.
She showed us that Love is true strength, and that was demonstrated in how she respected her children, even though they were in a situation which compromised the love she had given to them. She delt with the Mob, FBI and the Police at the same time. Through it all, she has her family, her dignity, her life back, and is a very successful business woman.
Most of all what I liked about this book is that Geogia remained honest about who she is. She excepted the good and the bad in her life and worked from strength rather than weakness to solve
the problem.
I hope there is a movie about this story, although I already feel as if I have lived the story through her book.

The Company She Keeps
The Company She Keeps by Georgia Durante (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 7 2008)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49