march boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis sports Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store ca_ty_gno Unlimited cloud storage Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 11, 2014
What an epic book! Considering I have lived through events like the building up and tearing down of the Berlin Wall, Kennedy assassinations, Watergate, the Russian resistance and so on, it was a like a brief history of the world told through he lives of the many characters. There had to have been a tremendous amount of research done to write this book. An excellent culmination of this epic trilogy.
on November 28, 2010
I can't wait for the second book to be published! As the previous Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, this book captured me from the first few pages. I immediately became engrossed with the families in this first of his trilogy! Not really being a history buff, Follett's family stories entwined with actual historical facts was about just the right amount of factual material I needed.
on July 3, 2014
Absolutely Fantastic. First in a trilogy, which at the time of this writing, has not been completed. This novel introduces you to a cast of characters (familial) this interact with each other at the beginning of the 20th century.

Walks you through the historical events of the century in a manner that only Follett can. Researched extremely well, spun into an excellent story.
on April 8, 2012
An absolute masterpiece. The incredible details regarding such events as women's suffrage, World War 1, the Russian Revolution, the rise of trade unionism, "upstairs-downstairs" - all interwoven with historical figures and a very real cast of inter-related fictional characters.Don't be put off by the 950+ pages. This is compelling reading.Can't weait for volume two!
on November 11, 2010
This book took me less time to read than I had anticipated. It was simply because I speed read through most of the 'war sections'. The story line was most interesting and for that reason I stuck with it. Anyone who is a 'war buff' would likely get much more out of this book than I did. Pillars of the Earth was more enjoyable for me to read, than this one was.
on January 21, 2012
A very well written book. It keeps the reader turning pages to see what occured to the hero/heroins. I learned more about the mining industry and a different kind of War. If I may make one tiny comment, it would be for me, too much War going on. It was a little bit too much. However, it kept me interested till the very end. Wonderful book.
on November 15, 2011
so amazing i could not go to bed i stayed up for days reading this novel. i think i have insomnia now.
on November 5, 2014
Mr Follett has put together an amazing story that we follow through the years and have a hard time to put down. we begin to know the families involved and how their lives are impacted by events that have really happened. they may not be real, however all the events are!!!!! I have read the first 2 books and cant wait to read the third .
on June 1, 2013
I loved the characters from all sides of the conflict. There is never blame assigned to countries but rather a huge understanding of how the war happened to be. I love Follett's research and it gave me a broader understanding of the class struggles in various countries before WW1 and how different the world is today.
on February 2, 2013
I love Ken Follett history novels, he has a gift with story telling and we can learn at the same time. His knowledge of history is amazing. I am so happy that he decided to write about modern history, I have read all his medieval books, which I will reread all over again. His books has a place on my shelves for ever.