biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on July 3, 2014
Absolutely Fantastic. First in a trilogy, which at the time of this writing, has not been completed. This novel introduces you to a cast of characters (familial) this interact with each other at the beginning of the 20th century.

Walks you through the historical events of the century in a manner that only Follett can. Researched extremely well, spun into an excellent story.
on April 8, 2012
An absolute masterpiece. The incredible details regarding such events as women's suffrage, World War 1, the Russian Revolution, the rise of trade unionism, "upstairs-downstairs" - all interwoven with historical figures and a very real cast of inter-related fictional characters.Don't be put off by the 950+ pages. This is compelling reading.Can't weait for volume two!
on November 11, 2010
This book took me less time to read than I had anticipated. It was simply because I speed read through most of the 'war sections'. The story line was most interesting and for that reason I stuck with it. Anyone who is a 'war buff' would likely get much more out of this book than I did. Pillars of the Earth was more enjoyable for me to read, than this one was.
on January 21, 2012
A very well written book. It keeps the reader turning pages to see what occured to the hero/heroins. I learned more about the mining industry and a different kind of War. If I may make one tiny comment, it would be for me, too much War going on. It was a little bit too much. However, it kept me interested till the very end. Wonderful book.
on November 15, 2011
so amazing i could not go to bed i stayed up for days reading this novel. i think i have insomnia now.
on November 5, 2014
Mr Follett has put together an amazing story that we follow through the years and have a hard time to put down. we begin to know the families involved and how their lives are impacted by events that have really happened. they may not be real, however all the events are!!!!! I have read the first 2 books and cant wait to read the third .
on June 1, 2013
I loved the characters from all sides of the conflict. There is never blame assigned to countries but rather a huge understanding of how the war happened to be. I love Follett's research and it gave me a broader understanding of the class struggles in various countries before WW1 and how different the world is today.
on February 2, 2013
I love Ken Follett history novels, he has a gift with story telling and we can learn at the same time. His knowledge of history is amazing. I am so happy that he decided to write about modern history, I have read all his medieval books, which I will reread all over again. His books has a place on my shelves for ever.
on December 2, 2012
I give this historical novel Fall of Giants five stars because Ken Folett has the ability in his writing to transport me to the time and place, and to feel and see and hear and understand what is going on with the characters. I get to travel in the comfort of my home and to produce a movie in my mind...wonderful.
on February 6, 2013
Somewhat drawn out, but great detail on the four societies of which this book represents.
There were some areas when I was wondering what was happening to Grigoria. Lev. seemed to have disappeared for most of the book.. Bea was typical, and Ethel was a real fighter, showing her fight for women's rights.