5.0 out of 5 stars Fall of Giants: FANTASTIC!
Years ago I read a few of Ken Follett's thrillers: Lie Down With Lions comes to mind. I think I also read Key To Rebecca and Man From St Petersburg. Honestly, they were fun reads but none of them got under my skin like Pillars of the Earth released in 1989. Or eighteen long years later, World Without End.

I suppose Follett is best known for his thrillers...
Published on Nov. 23 2011 by Deborah Serravalle

3.0 out of 5 stars A Tad Disappointing!
The cast of characters is long and the story is epic. Fall of Giants follows the lives of five interrelated families: American, Russian, English, German, and Welsh. We follow these families as they move through life during the times of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the hard struggle for women's right to vote.

Billy Williams is a...
Published on Dec 29 2010 by Louise Jolly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 511 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Follett...and a wonderful tale, Feb. 22 2014
Dr. Tim Parker (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I've read everything Follett puts out, as well as seen all the adaptations of his novels for television. I love his writing style, characters, and historical observations all rolled into one. Fall of Giants is the first of three, adding up to a massive collection of pages, and the one thing I love the most is simple: this is Follett at his best. Every page, every character, every story, every twist has his unmistakable style on it. It grabs you and leads you page by page, through the narrative. Sure, some of the history may be slightly off, but it's not meant to be a history book but a novel. And so, those deviations with history are not an issue for me. I read this book for the story, not the lesson. And that story just kept drawing me back, page after page.

This isn't literary heaven. Follet won't be getting the Nobel Prize for Literature from books like this. What he will get are dedicated readers, such as myself, who devour his stories. And that's what these are: stories of people living their lives, doing mundane and not so mundane things, with no bigger purpose to the book than to present those stories in a way that enthralls. And in that aspect, Follett has been enthralling readers for years.

In the end, this book along with the others in the series, end up being my favorite Folletts. As such, I've lent my copies to several people, all of whom start by complaining how big the book is and how long it will take to work their way through, but always end up a week or two later complaining it was too short and they want the next volume! Not one person I've give Fall of Giants to has been less then enthusiastic about the book. And in the end, that's the best testament that can be given a book: people read it, end to end, not wanting to stop, because they love the narrative.

Follett is a master, no question. For me, this is his masterpiece. So far, anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally another Ken Follet classic, Feb. 13 2014
sometimes his classics are a little long, but overall they are his best work. Pillars of the Earth, World without end and Fall of Giants were far superior to White out. Man from St. Petersberg was okay and Eye of the needle was okay, except that it ended up in a love story. Whitbeout was started off not too bad but Espionage is Espionage, Romance is Romance and they both have their places, separately!
Whiteout was too much of a sappy love story and ended up like a Harlequin romance and I had vowed I would not read another of his stories after that novel. Please stick with what you are good at Ken Follet, and that is with classic historic novels that unravel with interesting characters. Leave the boring romance novels that I don't read to Barbara Bradford Taylor...

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book. A great read!!, Feb. 4 2014
This was a well written book, with great characters, and I can't wait to read the other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hadn't read Follett since the 70s, Jan. 29 2014
Wonderful reading, the book completely exceeded all my expectations. Compelling characters, and an excellent plot. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, Jan. 26 2014
Exciting page turner. Ken Follett did a great job with the historical research again. Well put together. I can't wait to start the next book to see how this creative writer continues the journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great history reminder .Awesome story, Jan. 23 2014
Loved it ,edge of my seat all the way.would of liked to hear more of the Canadians involvement in WOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Felt I was in the trenches with them such a good writer., Jan. 21 2014
Helen Hall (Coquitlam BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This is my first Ken Follett book...loved it....I am now on the second book in the Century Trilogy and enjoying it so much...will now have to start going through all of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overview of an age., Dec 18 2013
Wonderful use of the English Language .Ability to paint the picture of an age gone by.Shone new light on the mess that was the First World War

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical novel re WW-I, Dec 13 2013
This is a good way to learn about events and historical figures leading up to
World War 1. A bit wordy in parts but a very good read nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kind of reading!, Oct. 12 2013
A wonderfully well written novel with a well researched blend of history and delicious fantasy. Can't stop turning the pages. So looking foward to the next one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 511 | Next ›

Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy
Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett (Paperback - Aug. 30 2011)
CDN$ 29.00 CDN$ 18.18