5.0 out of 5 stars Fall of Giants: FANTASTIC!
Years ago I read a few of Ken Follett's thrillers: Lie Down With Lions comes to mind. I think I also read Key To Rebecca and Man From St Petersburg. Honestly, they were fun reads but none of them got under my skin like Pillars of the Earth released in 1989. Or eighteen long years later, World Without End.

I suppose Follett is best known for his thrillers...
Published on Nov. 23 2011 by Deborah Serravalle

3.0 out of 5 stars A Tad Disappointing!
The cast of characters is long and the story is epic. Fall of Giants follows the lives of five interrelated families: American, Russian, English, German, and Welsh. We follow these families as they move through life during the times of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the hard struggle for women's right to vote.

Billy Williams is a...
Published on Dec 29 2010 by Louise Jolly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 510 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, Jan. 26 2014
Exciting page turner. Ken Follett did a great job with the historical research again. Well put together. I can't wait to start the next book to see how this creative writer continues the journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great history reminder .Awesome story, Jan. 23 2014
Loved it ,edge of my seat all the way.would of liked to hear more of the Canadians involvement in WOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Felt I was in the trenches with them such a good writer., Jan. 21 2014
Helen Hall (Coquitlam BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This is my first Ken Follett book...loved it....I am now on the second book in the Century Trilogy and enjoying it so much...will now have to start going through all of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overview of an age., Dec 18 2013
Wonderful use of the English Language .Ability to paint the picture of an age gone by.Shone new light on the mess that was the First World War

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical novel re WW-I, Dec 13 2013
This is a good way to learn about events and historical figures leading up to
World War 1. A bit wordy in parts but a very good read nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kind of reading!, Oct. 12 2013
A wonderfully well written novel with a well researched blend of history and delicious fantasy. Can't stop turning the pages. So looking foward to the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fall of the Giants is a Good story, Sept. 26 2013
I enjoyed the story woven around the history and atmosphere of the times about which it was written. It was a thoroughly enjoyable book. Looking forward to the next in the trilogy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to enjoy., Sept. 8 2013
This review is from: Fall of Giants (Audio CD)
A truly amazing story which is rates with the best of them. Ken Follett is masterful as he weave a yarn.

1.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT, Sept. 6 2013
R. Cottrill "Robert" (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
With some interest, I downloaded Ken Follet’s Fall of Giants to my Kindle, and added Winter of the World to my Wish List. Having read Herman Wouk’s masterwork on the Second World War (The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance) several times, I was looking forward to Follet’s perspective. But I was disappointed.

On the positive side, the writer manages the tricky business attending historical fiction quite well. He drops fictional characters down into historical events and has them interact with actual historical individuals, without manipulating history, or creating cardboard characters that merely seem part of the scenery. The plotting of the various strands of his story is fine–though at certain points I found the long stretches of grisly battle scenes tiresome.

There was also a monotonous sameness to the sentence structure, a tendency to give us subject...verb, subject...verb, without variation. Starting a sentence with a participle (as here) was rare. I expected that level of expertise when I used to mark college papers, but it was a surprise coming from an experienced author.

Also Mr. Follet seems to have a prurient obsession with sex. I guess it sells books, but it was a turn-off for me. Every few pages (it seemed) we had a coupling, or reference to some kind of sexual activity. His men act at times like a teen-aged males with raging hormones and little sense of morality. And I noticed something. His description of illicit acts of fornication tended to be much more vivid and exciting than when he was describing sexual intimacy within marriage.

As far as I’m concerned, we’re given much more physical detail in these scenes than is necessary. Mr. Follet should take a look at Herman Wouk’s depiction of the love-making of Byron and Natalie Henry at the end of chapter 37 in The Winds of War. Two paragraphs of sheer poetry, without telling us too much. It conveys a sense of the sacredness of the moment that is lacking, over and over, in Fall of Giants.

I don’t know how many times the author uses the “F” word, but it must amount to dozens and dozens. Do some people talk that way? Yes, sure they do. But it’s unnecessary to quote them in sentence after sentence. A sense of what’s happening can be conveyed without that. “He responded with a blood-curdling oath” says it, without saying it!

I plodded on through the book, hoping things might improve, but I finally gave up three-quarters of the way through. I also removed the second book of the trilogy from my wish list. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book by Follett was excellent and interesting especially historical wise. But the second book was a total failure., Sept. 6 2013
I enjoyed the fist book, Fall of the Giants. The second book, Winter of the World, a complete disappointment. I would say it was written for a 5year old. I was let down by Ken Follett who was one of my favorite authors.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 510 | Next ›

Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy
Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett (Paperback - Aug. 30 2011)
CDN$ 29.00 CDN$ 18.18