5.0 out of 5 stars Rebel -Another tale in the lives of the McKenzie clan
"Rebel" spins the story of Ian McKenzie and Alaina. Although not as much spice as "Captive," I enjoyed this book too.
Published on Sept. 4 2001 by Luv2Read

3.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read!
Published on Feb. 3 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars The McKenzie saga continues..., June 27 2003
janlouise (Ruston, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
Ian McKenzie arrives home for a short visit from fighting on the Union side during the Civil War. At the beginning of his visit with his family he finds himself in a compromising position with a friend of the family's daughter, Alaina McMann, and to save her reputation and embarrassment to the 2 families he carries her off to be married. There is definitely attraction there and could grow to be a strong love but their strong opposing views of the war get in the way. Ian goes off to serve the Union side while Alaina begins participating in a smuggling ring for the Confederacy- and they clash each time they come together. Ian is handsome, strong and protective of Alaina while serving his devotion to the Union cause. He meets his match when he discovers that the Confederate spy he is working at capturing is non-only his own Alaina (this is revealed to the reader at the beginning of the book). The reader learns how Ian gets Alaina out of such a mess. Is their new love strong enough to survive such a test? And will Ian beable to save Alaina from the rope? They hang spies, you know! I enjoyed it. Great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebel -Another tale in the lives of the McKenzie clan, Sept. 4 2001
Luv2Read "imareader2" (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
Alaina was a tough and spirited Southerner loyal to the cause and Ian chose to join the Union's side. Although their views were different, their paths crossed and their lives were changed forever when they were caught "in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Ian and Alaina are wedded and not in love at first, but as time passes, their love grows. However, where there is love, sometimes the pain comes along as well. Their love is no exception, especially during this time of war. Through it all, their love has to stand the test of time, war, betrayal, jealousy, as well as many other obstacles. Both Ian and Alaina have others in their lives vying for their love and to destroy the love that is shared between them. Will Ian and Alaina's new found love be enough to suffice and keep them together through the hardships they must endure? "Rebel" is worth reading to find out what is in store for these two courageous individuals.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, Oct. 12 2000
Amy Fagley (Charleston, South Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
As a fan of Mrs. Graham I hate to say this but the book was a true mess! Having just read "Captive" I was so excited to begin this book and found that the magic found within "Captive" had all but disappeared. Having set the foundation with her first two books I expected to have a hardheaded and determined hero but what I found here was a angry, self important character who seemed to think that rape is a normal and healthy part of a marriage. In almost every sex scence (won't use the word love because that would be offensive)he was a brute and took what he wanted often finishing and leaving as soon as the deed was done. I found Alaina to be a strong character but was baffled that such a herione could come to "love" such an uncaring leading man. Throughout most of the book he was remorseful over the loss of his intended bride and constantly reminded that she was the perfect woman for him. Though I do like it when a author shakes up the plot a bit I did not care for his inner struggle as to wether or not to sleep with his ex. There seemed to be no true loyalty to his wife and he he declared his love it sounded hollow, self serving and filled with regret. This was not romantic and the leading lady deserved better. Risa (the ex-girlfriend)was also a great character which again begs an answer to the question as to why both of these women find this man so incredible. Being the first born of the new generations of McKenize's I expected to find some of the qualities of his father and uncle. Disappointed! It seemed that he was indeed a privledged child who expected that everyone should bow down to his wishes. Even the "evil" Peter didn't seem all that different from the leading man (he too attempted to molest and rape the leading lady). I have always believed in the ideas of the North during the Civil War (and I reside in Charleston, SC) but my dislike of the leading man had me cheering for the South in this particular case. This leads us to the only good thing about this book. Again Mrs. Graham seems to be able to capture both the good and bad aspects of each side of the war. I gave this book two stars because of the strong women shown and how they were introduced as participants in the war when most novels often have the women on the sidelines. Even though I feel that this was her worst I haven't given up. In this family it seems that Jerome-son of James-MY FAVORITE and Julian will be the standout in this new generation of men. I hope in the future books to see Sydney, Risa and continue to see Jennifer who is very interesting but somehow got skipped over in this series for "Ian" the spoiled brat!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read!, Feb. 3 2000
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
Being an avid Heather Graham fan and a passionate American Civil War historian, I found 'Rebel' slightly disappointing. The opening definitely displays the typical Heather Graham style of writing, the character reflecting past occurrences leading up to the present. I find it difficult to accept that the two characters, Ian and Alaina, could have fallen in love due to the fact that they were seldom together. Due to Ian's commission with the Union and Alaina's devotion to the Confederacy, the two clashed each time they were together but were cold and distant even during their most intimate moments. But Ian's strong and protective character appealed to me; while I found it difficult to relate or share the passion that Alaina felt for her cause and actions. But she did love Ian and had enough sense to fear being heartbroken. And she was brave, stupid at times, but brave all the same. 'Rebel' does not include the intrique, the passion, nor the mystery that the more recent contribution to the saga contains. 'Surrender', the more recent of the saga, is far more exiciting! Rebel rates in my opinion a disappointing 3 1/2 stars but one worth once starting, eventually finishing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment on a moderate scale, Oct. 3 1999
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
Before reviewing this book, I asked myself-Can a male reader, unversed in the genre of Historical Romance, maintain objectivity, shelve the narrow-minded prejudice regarding this decidedly "female-oriented" offering and judge the plot and the prose on their own merits?
Yes, I told myself, I am an author of Civil War fiction-who has tossed into his own work a modicum of "love scenes"-and the premise of "Rebel," set during the early years of the Civil War, had interesting possibilities. Therefore, I determined, I would not judge a book by its cover...
But when the cover art features a bare-chested Fabio-type holding in his muscular arms a blond bomb-shell in skin-tight leather pants (right, like ANY woman during the Civil War dressed like that) I had my doubts whether I could do so. (Who commissions these artists, anyway?-and why?)
Anyway..."Rebel" is the tale of the young and beautiful Alaina McMann, a headstrong woman in Florida who, for a variety of reasons, comes to detest the Union army and sides with the South when war erupts. Unfortunately for Alaina, her husband, the dashing and equally bullheaded Ian McKenzie, is an army officer who stays true to the United States, despite his own Southern upbringing.
The story opens in May of 1862 as Union Major Ian McKenzie (known as the Panther for his daring escapades along Florida's southeastern coast) and his small company of men find themselves hot on the trail of the Mocassin, a rebel spy who has, thus far, eluded capture. I'll give you just one guess as to the Mocassin's identity-don't worry, I'm giving nothing away that isn't clear by the end of the Prologue. Which brings me to my first problem...
This revelation, I wholeheartedly believe, was a major error on the part of the author. By showing us almost from the first page that Alaina McMann McKenzie is the dreaded Mocassin, Graham robbed her readers of the opportunity to ask themselves "Is she or isn't she?" I, for one, missed the tension and suspense that would have accompanied the "not knowing." Instead, what we have sandwiched between the Prologue and the final chapter (which, apart from a few additional scenes, is basically a replay of the Prologue, including much of the same words and dialogue) is one long series of flashbacks. Unfortunately, to sustain the tale, Graham relied too heavily on the sexual tension between "husband and wife" when a healthy dose of mystery would have truly set this story apart.
Aside from this, I do have additional problems with Rebel...
Although the research is adequate at best, several errors slipped through the cracks-the most glaring is the mention of President Van Buren instead of Buchanan. For shame!
Now let's discuss believability...Within hours of their initial meeting, Alaina and Ian are forced into a hasty marriage, brought about when they are caught in a compromising situation (that situation, in and of itself, was far too coincidental for comfort-laughable, really). Now, come on, we have two supposedly intelligent characters, and they could think of no alternative to avoid a scandal except by taking the plunge (for anyone who has read "Rebel," this play on words was definitely intended). As a reader, I will buy many scenarios, but not implausible scenarios. If, when reading, I find myself groaning aloud, then something is definitely wrong. I'm certainly not saying everything in "Rebel" is groan-worthy-indeed, both Alaina's pro-Southern sentiments and Ian's pro-Union feelings have a ring of truth to them, and in this respect, Graham should be commended for laying such fine groundwork-but the unbelievability of the aforementioned scenario, as well as several others, left a bad taste in my mouth.
To present and future authors, let my final problem with "Rebel" stand as a lesson in what NOT to do when writing your masterpiece. Apart from Alaina and Ian, I had trouble with the character names. A minor quibble, you might say, and you'd usually be correct, but not when you find yourself utterly confused and hardpressed to follow the story. (I should have been warned-it is usually a bad sign when a "Family Tree" is included.) For instance, we are confronted (occasionally in the same scene) with a Jarret, a James, a Julian, a Jerome, and a Jennifer. Then there's a Tara, a Tia, a Teela, a Rose and a Risa. Surnames also pose a problem, with a McMann, a McKenzie, and a Magee. (More than once, Graham, herself, called her leading lady by the incorrect surname, which makes me wonder whether the author did not have access to her own family-tree diagram.) Regardless, it created a problem, an irritating one, and authors should avoid falling into this trap.
I suppose you will probably surmise that I was not too crazy about this book. You would be right. Mind you, it was certainly not the worst novel I've ever read-overall, the descriptions and dialogue were fairly tight, and though I thought I would scream if I encountered yet another version of the word "fire" during the love scenes, Graham does well in developing her characters. It's simply the implausible scenarios I question, and the forfeiting of rich suspence in favor of the all-too-easy sexual tension. This might be enough to encourage readers to seek out more of Graham's work, but, frankly, I'll pass.
Trace Edward Zaber, Owner/Editor - Of Ages Past Magazine

5.0 out of 5 stars I adored this book!!, June 11 1999
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
I had read COME THE MORNING, under her penname of Shannon Drake, and thought it trite and empty. but REBEL was different. vibrant and full of electricity between the two heroes, it drew my attention and warmed my heart.
Alaina McMann, the vivacious, fiercely Southern daughter of a botantist in Civil War era Florida, is caught in a compromising situation with Ian McKenzie, a union sympathizer. They wed hastily and the marriage progressed smoothly ewnough from there, Alaina the reluctant young bride and ian the determined husband. But what could be a glorius union of hearts is threatened by their strong, opposing views. ian goes to fight for the Union, and Alaina begins participating in a covert smuggling ring for the Confederacy under the name of Mocassin. but when ian finds out, can he hang his wife, the spy? We all yearn for the answer! Read this wonderful romance and find out. The characters are believable (although ian is definitely one of the randiest heros I've encountered) and the circumstances are understandable, too. Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good!, Sept. 15 1998
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
Being an avid Heather Graham fan and a passionate American Civil War historian, I found 'Rebel' slightly disappointing. The opening chapters of the novel definitely displays the typical Heather Graham style of writing, the character reflecting past occurrences leading up to the present. I find it difficult to accept that the two characters, Ian and Alaina, could have fallen in love due to the fact that they were seldom together. Due to Ian's commission with the Union and Alaina's devotion to the Confederacy, the two clashed each time they were together but were cold and distant even during their most intimate moments. 'Rebel' does not include the intrique, the passion, nor the mystery that the more recent contribution to the saga contains. 'Surrender', the more recent of the saga, is far more exiciting! Rebel rates in my opinion a disappointing 3 1/2 stars but one worth once starting, eventually finishing.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is by far the worst book that exists on this planet., June 27 2000
G. Woodruff (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
This is by far the worst book that exists on this planet. Heather Graham seems to think being forced into marriage and then being systematically raped by your husband is romantic. Remove the sex/rape scenes and you have an incredibly boring boilerplate story. The civil war backdrop provides the only fleeting element of interest. Not only did I find this book disgusting, I found it's suggestion that marital rape is somehow arousing morally offensive. The only reason to have this book in your possession it to destroy it, which is a public service.

G. Woodruff (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
This is by far the worst book that exists on this planet. Heather Graham seems to think being forced into marriage and then being systematically raped by your husband is romantic. Remove the sex/rape scenes and you have an incredibly boring boilerplate story. The civil war backdrop provides the only fleeting element interest. Not only did I find this book disgusting, I found it's suggestion that marital rape is somehow arousing morally offensive. The only reason to have this book in your possession it to destroy it, which is a public service.

5.0 out of 5 stars REBEL, Feb. 20 2000
This review is from: Rebel (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was awesome! I am truely interested in the history of the civil war and that is what drew me to the book! I was suprised to see that Heather Graham included much of our countries history and emotions that were true to the era. Ian and Aliana are perfect for one another, regardless of the way they came together. The story continued to drew me in as a reader. Heather spared no words in descriptions throughout the book and made it come alive! I am currently reading the next in the series and Surrender is hard to put down too!

Rebel
Rebel by Heather Graham (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 7 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.35