5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Ending
Published on Aug. 2 2003 by K. Wrenbeck

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving, good history, but...........
Published on May 19 2001 by shirley lieb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Ending, Aug. 2 2003
K. Wrenbeck "kathywrenbeck" (Belleville, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the perfect ending to the McKenzie saga. Although I was hoping for a story about Sydney, Tia takes the main stage and runs with it. She is not immune to the hard times of the war, and makes a stand all on her own. And Taylor isn't too shabby himself. I wasn't able to put this book down at all. I think I read it in the manner of two days. Graham is a wonderful story teller.
There were some odd things that happened towards the end of the book, and I am hoping that it was the printer's fault and not Ms Graham forgetting her character names. Ian's youngest daughter is named Katie (I think), and at the end of the book is called Kelly. When Tia tells Jarrett she is pregnant again for the 5th time, Jarrett hopes that it is a girl after 4 boys--but Tia's first child is a girl.
The McKenzie saga is one of the best stories I have ever read. I am very sad to see it end. I hope that Ms Graham one day continues the McKenzie saga with the grandkids--Sean, Jamie, and the rest of the kids.

2.0 out of 5 stars mediocre end to a cookie-cutter series, Nov. 10 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I read the first two books in this series ("Runaway" and "Captive") and enjoyed them very much--the author lives in Florida and is obviously a serious student of Florida history. However, once she started writing about the "next generation" of the McKenzie family, it was as though she ran out of ideas for plot and characterization. Honestly, except for the different names (and by the way, some of those names were just a bit too 20th-century for these novels!) the plot line and the characters were totally interchangeable in every one of the four novels set during the Civil War. From the author's description, all the males looked very much alike (how convenient!) and every story started out the same way--the hero and heroine despise each other because they are on opposite sides of the conflict, but it doesn't take very much for said hero and heroine to hit the sheets! Because "Triumph" was the last novel in this series, the author has several stories to deal with, (as well as several sets of lovers!) and every one of them is the same--conflict between man and woman because one supports the North and the other the South! Ms. Graham, there's a little novel called "Gone With the Wind" which was set during the Civil War, was very fascinating, and had lots of interesting characters and plot lines. Guess what? There were lots of different reasons why relationships didn't work out in that novel, and not one had to do with the fact that one person supported the North and one the South! It's unfortunate that this series didn't have more imaginative plot lines and character development; it could have been quite memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the McKenzie girls take the lead, Sept. 5 2001
Luv2Read "imareader2" (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
"Triumph" is Tia McKenzie's story. Tia is Jarrett's daughter. Tia is just as headstrong and brave as those McKenzie men. Tia has a mission and sets out to get it done. She upholds her beliefs and her commitment to the cause she believes in. Tia's path crosses with Taylor Douglas. They are on opposite sides, but so are many close knit families and friends. Taylor succumbs to Tia's charms and Tia is drawn to Taylor. The two young people have many obstacles, but love is their greatest weapon. Will their love "triumph" in the end and overcome their problems?

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving, good history, but..........., May 19 2001
shirley lieb (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I have always enjoyed Heather Graham's books. Especially the trilogy of One Wore Blue etc. I just picked this one up at the store, not realizing this too was part of a series. While the book held my interest and I wanted to continue through the end, I found it a bit frustrating. With all the T names, Taylor, Tia, Teela and Tara and the R's, Ria and Rhiannon things started to blur together. When the names of five or six family members started to appear on each page, I felt the author was rushing to squeeze in too much, too fast. Also at the end, it says that Tia named her first daughter Hope. But a few pages later, it seems unclear when it says that they were happy to have four sons and finally a daughter. I definitely am a Heather Graham fan and will look for more of her books, but hope that the next one takes it a bit slower. There was a distinct feeling that there was a rush to get every detail of each character settled before the end of the book. It was an ambitious project to be sure, but in some cases, I felt that it took away from the story of Tia and Taylor, who by the way, were two very appealing characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Triumph is an apt ending for the Florida series, Nov. 7 2000
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I am glad I read this book. I have been waiting for it since I read Glory and I found that a huge disappointment as it wasn't up to HG's usual standards. The story line was predictable if you've read others in the series. However, HG was able to make history come to life by weaving a story that was enjoyable and entertaining.
Once again, Tia is the fiesty Graham heroine who is independent, strong-willed and does what she believes in. Taylor is her nemesis, the Alpha male who is domineering and protective. I agree with the common grouch that this book seems a little rushed as all the loose ends had to be tied. All the characters from earlier books in the series are featured.
However, the epilogue seems to be an afterthought as it does not tie in with the family tree. I agree with a fellow reviewer who says that Tia had 4 sons and a daughter, but the name was not Hope? What happened? One would have thought the editors would be sharper than that. I would also have loved it if the family tree had been completed rather than leave us readers dangling. Other than that, good writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamer, July 2 2000
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
Triumph was book that I could not put down. When I first started reading the Mckenzie's I couldn't stop until I finished the series. When Taylor Douglas happens upon a rare beauty his body says go for it, but his mind is still aching for his dead wife. Tia Mckenzie thought she was rid of the man, her enemy, but when she ends up in his tent one faitful night, with her brother near by, she tells a lie that would change her life forever. The book was a good finish to the saga and also included the romance of Sydney &Jesse, Brent & Mary, Jerome & Risa, Ian & Alaina, Julian & Rhiannon. And the everlasting love of James and Teela, and Jarrett and Tara. It was a dreamer of a book that kept my heart pounding and my eyes glued. Heather Graham has done it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Ending, but could have been better!, June 25 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I have finally decided that Runaway (the first in the series) is the best! This was a great book, but they closed up the series too fast at the end. Glad I read it, but hoped for a little more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Triumph (Not triumphant but definitely a winner! ), April 7 2000
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
Heather Graham aka Shannon Drake is one of my favorite writers and this explains why, I'm a history freak, buff, addict, you name it. And the Amerian Civil War is my favorite era of history. 'Triumph' has the reader swimming through the crystal clear waters of Florida seeking safety and escape from the enemy; or dodging bullets while trying to save the lives of men from both armies; and grasping for air while surrounded by a blazing forest fire. Yes, 'Triumph' has it all. Strong willed heroines; arrogant, overbearing but protective heros; and the usual witless deceitful villains. The numerous stories within the novel could be the makings of a mini-series. Sometimes I felt as if the readers were rushed into relationships, however, with 'Triumph' being the last of the saga, all characters had to find love for a lifetime or remain a mystery to the readers. If you have no interest in history, don't bother reading this book, but if you're a history buff, enjoy this Civil War novel set not in Virginia or the deep south, but in and around the coast of Florida!

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumph, a triumphant novel for Heather Grahm, March 31 2000
Katie (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I am deeply intrested in the Civil War, thus I found this particular book an extremley well written novel. I feel that the McKenzie fire burns brightly in Tia's soul. The novel is full of exciting events and heart wrenching details. I found myself torn between the two sides in the war, both the Confederate and Union sides. The passion and dedication that both Tia and Taylor felt for their causes made the story all the more intresting. It shows how a womans heart can soften the toughest of men. I found the novel exhillerating and found myself gasping for breath as if it were I that was being chased down by the Yanks instead of Tia. Tia is an amazing character with incredible stregnth. This is deffinately one of Heather Grahm's finest works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not her best, Feb. 24 2000
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought that this was a good book, but I was hoping for more about Sydney and Jesse. Also their is some confusion in the epilogue with names and numbers of children. At the end of the book Tia supposedly has a baby girl named Hope but in the epilogue she has four boys and her last child was a girl. What happened to Hope? There are a few other name swithches in the epilogue. I thought that this book was filled with adventure and was a good read. I finished it in a day. It was a finale though and you could tell. I think that this book is not up to Grahams usual standards.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Triumph
Triumph by Heather Graham (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 7 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01