5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Ending
Published on Aug. 2 2003 by K. Wrenbeck

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving, good history, but...........
Published on May 19 2001 by shirley lieb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Ending, Aug. 2 2003
K. Wrenbeck "kathywrenbeck" (Belleville, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the perfect ending to the McKenzie saga. Although I was hoping for a story about Sydney, Tia takes the main stage and runs with it. She is not immune to the hard times of the war, and makes a stand all on her own. And Taylor isn't too shabby himself. I wasn't able to put this book down at all. I think I read it in the manner of two days. Graham is a wonderful story teller.
There were some odd things that happened towards the end of the book, and I am hoping that it was the printer's fault and not Ms Graham forgetting her character names. Ian's youngest daughter is named Katie (I think), and at the end of the book is called Kelly. When Tia tells Jarrett she is pregnant again for the 5th time, Jarrett hopes that it is a girl after 4 boys--but Tia's first child is a girl.
The McKenzie saga is one of the best stories I have ever read. I am very sad to see it end. I hope that Ms Graham one day continues the McKenzie saga with the grandkids--Sean, Jamie, and the rest of the kids.

2.0 out of 5 stars mediocre end to a cookie-cutter series, Nov. 9 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I read the first two books in this series ("Runaway" and "Captive") and enjoyed them very much--the author lives in Florida and is obviously a serious student of Florida history. However, once she started writing about the "next generation" of the McKenzie family, it was as though she ran out of ideas for plot and characterization. Honestly, except for the different names (and by the way, some of those names were just a bit too 20th-century for these novels!) the plot line and the characters were totally interchangeable in every one of the four novels set during the Civil War. From the author's description, all the males looked very much alike (how convenient!) and every story started out the same way--the hero and heroine despise each other because they are on opposite sides of the conflict, but it doesn't take very much for said hero and heroine to hit the sheets! Because "Triumph" was the last novel in this series, the author has several stories to deal with, (as well as several sets of lovers!) and every one of them is the same--conflict between man and woman because one supports the North and the other the South! Ms. Graham, there's a little novel called "Gone With the Wind" which was set during the Civil War, was very fascinating, and had lots of interesting characters and plot lines. Guess what? There were lots of different reasons why relationships didn't work out in that novel, and not one had to do with the fact that one person supported the North and one the South! It's unfortunate that this series didn't have more imaginative plot lines and character development; it could have been quite memorable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving, good history, but..........., May 19 2001
shirley lieb (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I have always enjoyed Heather Graham's books. Especially the trilogy of One Wore Blue etc. I just picked this one up at the store, not realizing this too was part of a series. While the book held my interest and I wanted to continue through the end, I found it a bit frustrating. With all the T names, Taylor, Tia, Teela and Tara and the R's, Ria and Rhiannon things started to blur together. When the names of five or six family members started to appear on each page, I felt the author was rushing to squeeze in too much, too fast. Also at the end, it says that Tia named her first daughter Hope. But a few pages later, it seems unclear when it says that they were happy to have four sons and finally a daughter. I definitely am a Heather Graham fan and will look for more of her books, but hope that the next one takes it a bit slower. There was a distinct feeling that there was a rush to get every detail of each character settled before the end of the book. It was an ambitious project to be sure, but in some cases, I felt that it took away from the story of Tia and Taylor, who by the way, were two very appealing characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Triumph is an apt ending for the Florida series, Nov. 7 2000
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I am glad I read this book. I have been waiting for it since I read Glory and I found that a huge disappointment as it wasn't up to HG's usual standards. The story line was predictable if you've read others in the series. However, HG was able to make history come to life by weaving a story that was enjoyable and entertaining.
Once again, Tia is the fiesty Graham heroine who is independent, strong-willed and does what she believes in. Taylor is her nemesis, the Alpha male who is domineering and protective. I agree with the common grouch that this book seems a little rushed as all the loose ends had to be tied. All the characters from earlier books in the series are featured.
However, the epilogue seems to be an afterthought as it does not tie in with the family tree. I agree with a fellow reviewer who says that Tia had 4 sons and a daughter, but the name was not Hope? What happened? One would have thought the editors would be sharper than that. I would also have loved it if the family tree had been completed rather than leave us readers dangling. Other than that, good writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Triumph (Not triumphant but definitely a winner! ), April 6 2000
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
Heather Graham aka Shannon Drake is one of my favorite writers and this explains why, I'm a history freak, buff, addict, you name it. And the Amerian Civil War is my favorite era of history. 'Triumph' has the reader swimming through the crystal clear waters of Florida seeking safety and escape from the enemy; or dodging bullets while trying to save the lives of men from both armies; and grasping for air while surrounded by a blazing forest fire. Yes, 'Triumph' has it all. Strong willed heroines; arrogant, overbearing but protective heros; and the usual witless deceitful villains. The numerous stories within the novel could be the makings of a mini-series. Sometimes I felt as if the readers were rushed into relationships, however, with 'Triumph' being the last of the saga, all characters had to find love for a lifetime or remain a mystery to the readers. If you have no interest in history, don't bother reading this book, but if you're a history buff, enjoy this Civil War novel set not in Virginia or the deep south, but in and around the coast of Florida!

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumphant ending for the McKenzies!, Jan. 23 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
What a fantastic finish to the McKenzie Saga. I will be extremely sad to see it go. I'm not a big reader. I found Runaway, in hardback, on a bargain books shelf last year. Being a fourth generation Florida native...I was interested right away. I couldn't put the book down. I was so excited later, after logging on to amazon to find that it was the first in a series. I bought the remaining four and read them in a week. It was so interesting to hear about places I've been or lived...I could picture it all happening in my mind. I was even more excited to see Heather Graham write Triumph...the final in her Florida series. Just like the others..I couldn't put it down. It told the wonderful love story between Taylor and Tia while keeping us up to date on the characters we'd come to love in the first 5 books. While I did enjoy the relationship between Tia and Taylor, it was somewhat predictable if you've read the other novels. In each novel, a member of the McKenzie family falls for someone from the other side (North or South). They hate each other at first...get married not long after they meet...and then spend the entire book in conflict...not admitting their love until the end. Still, it's a good read. I was however disappointed that the family tree wasn't finished at the end of Triumph. The tree was actually one of my favorite parts of the book. I enjoyed the series, but I do hope Ms. Graham chooses to catch back up with the McKenzies again soon. As she said at the end, the book ends just when Florida starts to become a major influence in the South.

4.0 out of 5 stars History is the focus, Jan. 14 2000
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
First, let me say that I like Heather Graham (and Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake)historicals. Her detail to history is remarkable. Her Civil War Series as Shannon Drake featuring the Camerons - One Wore Blue, One Wore Gray and One Went West (my personal favorite; its absolutely yummy and the love scenes are divine) were so good. Equally entertaining has been the McKenzie series by Graham with Runaway, Captive, Rebel (my favorites), Surrender, and Glory (my least favorite). I just finished Triumph and was glad I read it if only to wrap up a wonderful series. Now, I would like to say that while I really like Graham, I can become really frustrated with her work. This complaint has nothing to do with her writing style that I really admire, or her historical detail. The complaint has to do with conflict. In every one of her books that I have read under any of her three names the romantic couples have a conflict that will always last throughout the book. Guaranteed. A little conflict adds spice to books, I think. But to last the whole book? Elizabeth Thornton, another one of my favorite authors, also allows her main characters to fuss and fume throughout her books. To be honest, it becomes kind of frustrating. Don't these characters know how to talk to each other? In Triumph, Tia and Taylor's relationship is humorous at the beginning. Then it becomes tedious as they are always at odds with each other. Always misunderstandings and each one interrupting the other as they have just begun to talk. As I said, I think a little conflict and tension is great, but to continue the whole book? Then of course at the end they kiss and tell each other they have always loved each other. Regardless, I still like Heather Graham (and her offsprings). I'd read her historicals because she is good. Her writing is so rich and full of detail. I can't wait for more historicals by her (the Civil War era would be nice).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamer, July 2 2000
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
Triumph was book that I could not put down. When I first started reading the Mckenzie's I couldn't stop until I finished the series. When Taylor Douglas happens upon a rare beauty his body says go for it, but his mind is still aching for his dead wife. Tia Mckenzie thought she was rid of the man, her enemy, but when she ends up in his tent one faitful night, with her brother near by, she tells a lie that would change her life forever. The book was a good finish to the saga and also included the romance of Sydney &Jesse, Brent & Mary, Jerome & Risa, Ian & Alaina, Julian & Rhiannon. And the everlasting love of James and Teela, and Jarrett and Tara. It was a dreamer of a book that kept my heart pounding and my eyes glued. Heather Graham has done it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumph, a triumphant novel for Heather Grahm, March 30 2000
Katie (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I am deeply intrested in the Civil War, thus I found this particular book an extremley well written novel. I feel that the McKenzie fire burns brightly in Tia's soul. The novel is full of exciting events and heart wrenching details. I found myself torn between the two sides in the war, both the Confederate and Union sides. The passion and dedication that both Tia and Taylor felt for their causes made the story all the more intresting. It shows how a womans heart can soften the toughest of men. I found the novel exhillerating and found myself gasping for breath as if it were I that was being chased down by the Yanks instead of Tia. Tia is an amazing character with incredible stregnth. This is deffinately one of Heather Grahm's finest works.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glorious Ending to a Superb Series, Jan. 22 2000
Laura (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph (Mass Market Paperback)
I have just finished Truimph, the final book (unfortunately) in the Florida McKenzie series. I thought it was wonderful. The historical footnotes tie into the story with amazing accuracy, as does the beatuiful description of the early Florida terrain. The story touches your heart, and entralls your sense of romance. It truely exemplifies the romance genre. Also, it finalizes the entire family, tying up the loose ends left by the other novels in the series. This family has now captured my heart as much as the Camerons of Virginia. I could only wish that the novels of these families and their exploits had never ended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Triumph
Triumph by Heather Graham (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 7 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01