5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!!! Please, Ms. Caine, I'd like some more...
Published on Aug. 13 2006 by Saya

1.0 out of 5 stars If you look at the whole thing...
I liked this book as an overall concept. Unfortunately, I sometimes see a reoccurring flaw within in a story, and I can't shake it to the point where it ruins the whole thing for me. In this case, not to be blunt, but has Joanne Baldwin ever met a man she didn't think was gorgeous and wanted to sleep with? I'm far from a prude, but I find it hard to like a character...
Published on Feb. 5 2004 by Kevin Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!!! Please, Ms. Caine, I'd like some more..., Aug. 13 2006
Saya "Kaijin" (Anjou, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ill Wind: Book One of the Weather Warden (Mass Market Paperback)
Who would have thought that a book about controlling the weather could be freaking amazing. I was confused at the start of the novel because we pretty much just start in the middle of what's happening, but the author slowly reveals backstory as she moves us along and it's one of those you just can't put down. I high recommend it to fans of Kelley Armstrong, Kim Harrison, JIm Butcher or Charlaine Harris.

The writing is fantastic, the characters are so well drawn out that you feel for them as if they were real people, the story is fun, funny, adventurous, sad, romantic...everything you could want in a story that never lets up...it's almost exhausting.

I won't regergitate the basic plot, but you should know that as soon as I finished this one, I bought Heat Stroke (2), Chill Factor (3), and Windfall (4) and I give them ALL 5 Stars!!!! The series is amazing and to think I almost past it up! I am also so desperate for the fifth book (Firestorm - September 5th)...what to do while I wait!?! Oh, and I wrote in to Rachel Caine and she wrote back...how sweet is that?!

4.0 out of 5 stars An Unexpected Treat, May 10 2004
I'm always looking for something new in the whole paranormal/supernatural genre and so I picked up Ill Wind after I'd seen people talking about Rachel Caine online. I must admit to an initial hesitance, I read the back and was slightly interested.
I'm so glad that I forged ahead and picked it up to read because it's so much better than the back cover makes it out to be.
Weather wardens, Earth Wardens, Fire Wardens - I wasn't overly interested by the cover and yet, Caine introduces us to these wardens who protect the rest of us from the weather and the earth and other natural disasters with a really unique and interesting spin. That they are aided bu djinn only adds something else.
Joanne Baldwin is a weather warden who is on the run from a murder wrap, oh and she's bearing a demon mark too. Knowing that the only way to get rid of the demon that's been forced into her body is to force it on another human, which is against her moral code, or a djinn, who are rare but she knows who might have a spare or two. Jo drives all over the eastern seaboard and into the south with djinn, friends, foes and killer storms all popping in and out.
The results, rather than seeming scattered or disconnected, actually create a tight story and a macro universe from which many other stories can come (and I hear she's working on two more books now).
The story has a few good twists that you don't see coming and lots of action and a bit of sexual tension. All in all, a great recipe and a very readable book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry's female alter-ego, Feb. 6 2004
Lucinda A. "lucinda2002us" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for an entertaining book to help you pass a dragging afternoon, this one might be it. Don't expect deep meanings or complicated character introspection, just lots of action-packed fun, lots of magic, a decent mystery and a very likable lead character -- which is better than I could say about many urban fantasy stories out there. Joanne is a Weather Warden with a big problem: she is running a race against time to rid herself of a Demon Mark inflicted on her by her former, corrupted boss. The mark is like a parasite: if she doesn't get rid of it fast, it will pervert her power and turn it into something impossible to control. If the other wardens get to her first, she will lose all her power, if not her life. The alternative is to pass the mark on to somebody else, preferably a djinn, and condemn him or her to a life of eternal torment. She thinks she knows her choices, but in fact she has no idea what her choices really are. As the story unfolds, friends and enemies become no longer easily distinguishable, even more so when willing friends are forced to turn into unwilling enemies. The one person that might have the key to it is nowhere to be found and doesn't seem that friendly after all.
If the plot structure sounds well-known to you, is because you've already encountered it (Jim Butcher's "Dresden files" series springs to mind, to give but an example). Hopefully, that won't prevent you from checking out the book: it makes good on its promises, with a nice twist at the end. If Harry Dresden charmed the readers with his dry wit and inborn talent of making a mess of just about everything, Joanne will appeal to the readers (some readers, anyway) with her disarming honesty about her likes and dislikes. Frankly, I found it quite refreshing to come across a female character that fantasizes freely about men, enjoys fast cars and sexy cloths, and is not ashamed to admit it. The djinns are a nice and less explored alternative to vampires, werewolves and fey creatures (all of which seem to me quite over-used nowadays). Generally, the characters of the story didn't have too much "texture" and appeared a bit too simplistic for my taste - but hey, there's plenty room for future development. On the whole, the action is very nicely paced, with just the right amount of suspense and magical deeds. In short, a promising beginning and a definite page-turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whirlwind ride! Please give us more!, Feb. 4 2004
First, I can't believe this book is being even *remotely* compared to the works of ANY other writers--Rachel Caine totally blows them out of the water!
Second, believe yourself that THIS is one rollicking face-hugger of a read. It was physically impossible for me to put it down once started. I am a notoriously PICKY reader, and if there's one thing I hate is a writer who wastes my time. So far as Rachel Caine is concerned I'm already in line for her NEXT TWO BOOKS in this amazing new series. ILL WIND is a book I call a 'repeater'--once finished I turned to the front and read it all over again, and it was STILL a face-hugger! I'll have to do that a lot to try and tide myself over until the next ones are released! It is so RARE to find anything on such a level of quality these days so she's going on my shelf of Special Writers and lesser works won't be allowed near it.
Joanne Baldwin is the kind of gutsy heroine I wanna grow up to be, and ohmuhgosh how she deals with the other characters--good, bad, and just-WHO'S-side-ARE-you-on???!--is a total treat. The other treat is the smooth, sensual writing that either sooths you into an oh-so yummy mood or winds you into something more intense than a triple tornado. The twists and turns of the story are expertly balanced with Joanne's past history and that of the Weather Wardens--a truly scary bunch! I'm crazy to know MORE about them and to see what happens next.
Do yourself a favor and GET THIS BOOK, and then TRY to watch an "ordinary" weather report ever again without wondering, "Yikes! What if....???"

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightening Strikes Again!, Jan. 8 2004
By A Customer
This book knocked me out. Author Rachel Caine gives us a heroine, Joanne Baldwin, who is a smart-mouth no-holds-barred type of girl that kicks butt as a gifted weather warden who has gotten in dutch with the baddest of all weather wardens and is running for her very life. Seems everywhere she turns she is either being stalked by very nasty weather running amuck(having lightening search you out personally has got to bite!), pissed off weather wardens and their freaky djinns (they are definitely not I Dream of Jeannie material, more like the Terminator)...and then there is the love interest that brews between Joanne and the djinn in disguise (this guy defies description, he is simply scrumptious).
Rachel Caine is an author that is on the fast road to fame with this fantastic new series. She will definitely have a place on my "keeper" shelf and "to watch for" list along with others in her peer group, Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series), Tanya Huff (vamp series), Suzanne Sizemore (vamp series) and J.D.Robb (Eve Dallas series). Kudos to Ms. Caine.
I highly recommend this book to all and sundry for a captivating read. I look forward to more by this author, and more of Joanne Baldwin and the bad-ass weather wardens and their djinn. Rock on Rachel Caine!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Reality of Weather, Dec 29 2003
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I don't usually read a book in a series before I can get them all, but I made an exception for this one and was happy to do so.
This is the first book in the Weather Warden series and the world is our own. During the course of the book we learn the truth behind the weather, earthquakes and forest fires. We learn much of this during a series of flashbacks from our main character who starts the book by going on the lam.
Humanity, it turns out, would be dead if it were not for the efforts of the Wardens who lessen the severity of storms, quakes and fires. They are often augmented by pairing up with a Djinn. But Djinn are not the only magical beings around and there lies much of the heart of the story.
Throughout the course of the book we get a very full picture of the life of Joanne Baldwin, Weather Warden. From her earliest days of being aware of the weather through her present crisis. It is all very nicely blended between high-speed chase and fascinating history.
I highly recommend this to anyone who loves a good yarn, secret histories, against-all-odds thrillers, urban fantasies or similar tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Read!!!, Dec 25 2003
Heads up to Laurell K. Hamilton fans. This is a book worth the read and then some. In a contemporary earth like ours where elemental magic and djinns are as much part of normal life as necromancy and vamps are in the Anita Blake world, Joanne Baldwin is powerful, tough, and desperate. She's in a mad race to find a way to get rid of the Demon Mark forced on her by a rogue Weather Warden while being hunted by the authorities who believe she is a murderer and rogue herself. If the "good guys" catch her, she dies. If the "bad guys" get her it'll be much much worse.
The plot line is wonderfully well woven, and there is plenty of edge of your seat suspense as you read through a fresh new world with well fleshed out characters. Great descriptions, places and people are given vibrant life, and there is a lot of wonderful sensual imagery to kick it up a notch.
I came across it by chance, and opened it up to read a few chapters before bed tonight. Couldn't Put It Down!!! My eyeballs hurt because I did a hard straight read through, and this after a totally exhausting day. It was worth it though, and I'm eager to see more from this writer. It's good stuff. LKH and Tanya Huff, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Jane Lindskold good.
This is a first class read all the way, and I recommend it to anyone who likes the authors I listed above. Action adventure, intrigue, romance and mystery, it's a smooth blend in this great new fantasy series.
I want more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun little book!, Dec 6 2003
James (Midland, MI United States) - See all my reviews
As a fan of the Harry Dresden books, I was both pleased and disappointed with this one, for different reasons. On the one hand, the heroine is smart, funny, sexy and kind...just the sort of person you'd like to hang out with. She's a little flighty at times, but it only accents her personality: like the wind she commands, she spends the whole book zooming from place to place, thinking about what she's going to do only once she's on the way to go do it. I liked her. On the other hand, one of the things I liked best about Harry Dresden was that the reader always had some idea what the heck he was doing, because either Harry or Bob the Skull would explain it. His magic was carefully and artfully described, so that when Harry whips it out, the readers can imagine it easily. With Joanne, I often found myself rereading a half-sentence here or backing up several pages later on... She controls air and water and thus weather...so how is she heating up the air? Or cooling it down? In one scene she creates a powerful updraft of hot air, and in another she drops the temperature fast enough to make frost appear on someone. Earth Wardens and Fire Wardens had some impressive scenes but were even more baffling. At first I thought it was because the main character, who narrates the story, wasn't very informed about the Wardens outside her specialty...but then she flashes back to her college days, when she was trained to work effectively with the other Wardens.
The only reason I withold a star is for the technical vague areas, which only bug me because I'm that kind of guy. I know it's just a fantasy novel, but I'd like to understand it better. It doesn't mean I didn't read it in a day, and enjoy it immensely! By all means, check it out for yourselves...if you lack my retentive issues, it'll easily make five stars for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars For fans of Laurell K. Hamilton and the Dresden Files, Dec 2 2003
Less than one percent of the human population keeps Earth from destruction by managing weather, fire, earth, and water. These wardens magically control the hurricanes, raging fires, and tsunamis under the control of an association with very strict rules and regulations for using their power. If a warden goes rogue, the association strips that person of their powers and erases their memories. The most powerful wardens have their own djinn, magical beings that enhance their powers.
Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin is on the run for killing a senior Warden who gave her the Demon Mark. She can't explain the murder to the wardens without telling them about the mark; if they knew about that, they would kill her. She seeks to give the Mark to a djinn owned by the rogue Lewis, the most powerful warden of all. Instead she meets David, a djinn with no master, who will allows her to enslave him and will take the Mark but since they made love she is unable to do it. David doesn't want her to die or free the demon, but she refuses to condemn her beloved djinn to eternal insanity. One of them will have to acquiesce for no other solution seems available.
The protagonist learns a lot about herself in ILL WIND. She won't kill an innocent to save herself and she is a very powerful Warden, one that other wardens who are even stronger can't always control. Readers will care deeply about this heroine because she gives without asking for anything back. Fans of Laurell K. Hamilton and the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are going to love this fast paced action packed romantic urban fantasy.
Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, Jan. 3 2004
Rebecca Vining (Central Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
Being a Laurell K. Hamilton fan, I picked up a copy of Ill Wind based on a comparison in a magazine.
The Wardens concept is a pretty cool one; I enjoyed the premise and for the most part the evolution of the story. I liked the characters, but this is the first book in a series so there is definitely room for development (I hope) in the future. I liked the technical content, but it definitely isn't for everybody. If you really aren't interested in the weather and you're definitely not interested in learning technical aspects of it, you may want to skip this one.
I thought that at times the story drug on a bit. I also thought the ending was abrupt. I realize it's trying to lead into the next book, but I felt that there should have been something a little more to the ending.
I liked the book, I thought it was fun and interesting overall. I gave this book 4 stars mostly because of the potential for the future of the series.

Ill Wind: Book One of the Weather Warden
Ill Wind: Book One of the Weather Warden by Rachel Caine (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 2 2003)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54