5.0 out of 5 stars Harry, Harry, Harry.
Published on Jan. 20 2012 by Trollking2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Changed Narrator!
I lost all interest in this audio book when I found out Penguin Audio made a business decision to change the narrator in order to meet a self-imposed deadline. I will not be purchasing another Dresden Files audio book unless the company returns to the voice actor who popularized the character in audio book form.
Published on Aug. 17 2011 by Uplandbackpacker

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry, Harry, Harry., Jan. 20 2012
This review is from: Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
I've read and own everything Jim Butcher has written, and there isn't a single book that has disappointed me. Clever, inventive, well thought out and driven by a huge heart and a wry wit. Each novel in the series, and yes, you should read the series, as each book adds the legacy of Harry Dresden. Every novel has left me wondering how the heck Butcher could top what I had just finished reading and he does, with the very next novel. GHOST STORY continues this rocking good series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need more!, Jan. 18 2012
This review is from: Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
I couldn't put the book down once I started. Can't wait for the next book in this wonderful series from such a great author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Innovative story from a ghost perspective-excellent, Nov. 16 2014
Well Harry is dead. Now what? I didn't give a full 5 star since I found that this book had too much rambling and psychological self analysis and stuff. If I want that I will read romance novels. Some of it was appropriate to the story line. But only some of it. I like to read science fantasy/fiction books because I can't predict the outcome. And this book does not let me down. It was written from a very different perspective: Harry as a ghost must find his killer! Very nicely done. The author must have watched lots of TV and movies because I lost track of all the references to so many of them. It makes Harry very life like and adds humour to the story. Finally Molly, including some other characters you wouldn't expect, get into the action in a very different way than expected. I enjoyed reading the book and moved on to the book 14.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Death should be a learning experience, after all, or what's the point?", July 26 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
When we last saw Harry Dresden, he had lost everything... and was dead. Usually it doesn't get worse than that. But Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story" proves that for a meddling wizard, things can get infinitely worse -- and while the book has some bits that should have been trimmed off, it's still a powerful, bleakly vivid experience.

Harry finds himself scooped up by a sort of heavenly police force, who inform him that there were some irregularities with his death. He's being sent back to Chicago as a powerless ghost to find out who killed him.

But Chicago has changed in the last six months. The Red Court's destruction has allowed other powers -- mainly the Fomor -- to rise instead. Hordes of wraiths and lemurs are following a monstrous shade called the Grey Ghost and a Bob lookalike. Molly has become a half-mad magical vigilante, and a guilt-ridden Murphy is leading a ragtag alliance of local powers.

And making contact with his friends is the least of Harry's problems. Without his magic or his physical body, he has to unravel the identity of the Grey Ghost, thwart a small-time sorcerer, stop a flood of murderous ghosts, and figure out who killed him to start with. But even if he works that out, he's still facing the ultimate unknown...

"Changes" ended with the mother of all cliffhangers, and in a way most of "Ghost Story" is also a cliffhanger -- Butcher keeps you wondering what will happen to Harry and if he's truly imitating the Norwegian blue parrot. And if he isn't all-the-way dead, how the heck can he come back from a shooting/drowning six months afterwards?

So there's a heavy grey cloud of suspense over this book, especially as Harry stumbles through the grim, blood-spattered world that has resulted from HIS ACTIONS. But when Harry drifts back into an active role again, the bleakness begins to lift, and the plot revs up into a slam-bang magical war involving ghosts, Star Trek, and some old enemies of Harry's.

Don't worry, humor fans. Butcher hasn't lost his hilarious knack for the snarky and silly ("It was like The Lord of the Rings and All My Children made a baby with the Macho Man Randy Savage and a Whac-A-Mole machine").

Butcher also puts his hero through the emotional grinder -- Harry is forced to see how his questionable actions have hurt the people he cares for, and have thrown the world into turmoil. This is perhaps the most painful part of the story, seeing Harry grapple with all that he's done.. But Butcher doesn't neglect the supporting characters, like Father Forthill, Morty the ectomancer, Bob, the ever-majestic Uriel and the stalwart shade Sir Stuart.

The book's biggest problem? It feels rather loosely edited -- Harry angsts that he shouldn't have brought Molly to Chichen Itza at least three times, and the flashback to Harry's youth would have made a better short story. Also... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHERS?! I can't wait a year to find out!

"Ghost Story" leaves some threads hanging, but the powerful tale of an undead Harry Dresden trying to set his little world aright is also filled with action, pathos, and sharp bleak urban fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 1 2014
Jim Butche

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, Sept. 13 2012
Ghost story is definetely one of the best Dresden Files ever! Lots of drama, lots of the beloved snark we have come to associate with our favorite wizard, lots and lots of action (just a tad too much if you ask me). Especially liked the background information that was dribbled here and there showing a side of Harry Dresden we only had a glimpse before. Just loved it and waiting impatiently for the next installment

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuing to Improve, Sept. 15 2011
L. T. Jellow (Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
I wasn't sure that this novel would improve on the continuing Dresden series, but I was very pleased with this book and where the series seems to be going.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new Jim Butcher fan is born, Sept. 11 2011
S. Morehouse (Langley, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
I was sent a copy of this book to review. I'm both glad and sad that they sent me the book. Glad because it was a great book; sad because it's the first time I'd read anything in the Dresden files and now I know the end but haven't read anything that came before. But rest assured, I'm now a fan of Jim Butcher's writing and will start at the beginning of the series.

However, if you happen to already be a Dresden fan then I have to believe that this novel would be a satisfying and compelling continuation of the story.

Harry Dresden is a wizard who has an unfortunate condition; he's dead. But he can't continue on into the afterlife until he finds out who murders him. His ghost is commissioned to find the murderer, save his friends who are in danger and probably save the world at the same time; all without benefit of his body or his magic.

This is an entertaining read. The plot while fantasy is still believable and the characters are well written. Not having read any other books in the series I'm not sure if Harry is normally a thoughtful guy but in this book he spends a lot of time ruminating on his life and how he got to be the way he was. He was a sarcastic, confident and caring person in life and his ghost also has those qualities. The dialogue is great and I'm sure would be even more entertaining for those who have read the series and are used to the way Butcher writes.

This is like a Harry Potter book for adults. But with more adult type of angst and moral dilemmas (yes even for a ghost). If you're a Dresden fan, you have to read this book. If you're not and think you might like to be, start with Storm Front the first in the series and work your way up to this book. It'll be worth the wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, Sept. 2 2011
R. McMillan (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
I've always enjoyed reading about the adventures of Harry Dresden. This book is no exception to add to my delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Butcher pulls it off, Aug. 30 2011
Catherine A. Thompson (Kingston, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
Wow... I say that about all the Dresden Files books, but... yeah, wow. If you haven't read "Changes"--what are you waiting for, first of all?--stop reading here, 'cos I'm about to produce spoilers for that book.

OK... so if you're still reading this, you've read "Changes" and know what happened at the end of that one. Here's the bad news: Harry's dead. Deceased. Shuffled off this mortal coil. Gone to meet his Maker. (Definitely not pining for the fjords.) Here's the good news: he's been sent back to find his killer. As a ghost.

But all is not well in Chicago. With the eradication of the entire Red Court, Harry created a power vacuum among the supernatural denizens of the world. And supernature abhors a vacuum as much as regular nature. So various groups are trying to fill that top spot. Murphy has been doing her best, with her little group (including some of the Alphas and surprisingly, Waldo Butters), but they can't stem the tide. Something really bad is coming...

I honestly thought Butcher might have written himself into a corner with this one. I mean, his protagonist/narrator is dead, a ghost that can't affect the material world. How the heck...? But he pulls it off. In spades. I can't wait to see how he tops this... and I'm pretty darn sure he will.

Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Hardcover - July 26 2011)
CDN$ 32.50 CDN$ 20.48