5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the rest of the series, you'll like this
I feel the need to balance out the previous two reviews, which can be summed up as "UPS messes up so I hate Amazon," and "I hated the series but somehow kept buying it."

Published on March 10 2011 by Matt Cousineau

3.0 out of 5 stars high king
a little wordy at times , to much time spent developing backstories on characters that are not really relavent to the main story line..but that's just my opinion
Published 11 months ago by richard benson

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the rest of the series, you'll like this, March 10 2011
Matt Cousineau (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

If you were as avid a fan of this entire series as I was, then The High King of Montival is another excellent entry in a solid, fascinating, deeply moving series. I look forward to the final two entries in the series almost as much as I wish that Stirling would continue work on the related Nantucket series.

Stirling has developed into an author capable of meshing intricate webs of characters that rises to the level of Harry Turtledove's mastery. He continues to grow as an author, and this fantastic series benefits from his growth.

3.0 out of 5 stars high king, Jan. 21 2014
This review is from: The High King of Montival: A Novel of the Change (Mass Market Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Stirling continues to disappoint, Nov. 3 2011
Philip Feeley (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
Stirling's style is annoying, particularly in the audio version. He continues to describe everything he can think of, and interrupts conversations, action sequences and THE PLOT with details about everything within view, as if missing something would cost the reader dearly in comprehension. So we get endless descriptions of landscapes, armour & weapons, buildings & villages, food, animals, back story. These interrupt action sequences all over the place. And then internal monologues interrupt conversations, important meetings, and again, THE PLOT, so that much comprehension is lost. Actions, while vividly portrayed, are abruptly ended for a change in scene, as if bringing events to a logical conclusion were not necessary (it is!) or the author just wants to get back to describing the food and the many prayers. I really got tired of all the changes of scene and the internal thoughts of the many (many!) characters, both central and peripheral.

I just hope that when Rudy finally kills the so-called Prophet, he doesn't let the creature babble on endlessly about his nefarious need to subject everyone to his (evil) will. That would be tedious. I was insulted every time there was reference to the so-called "Church Universal and Triumphant", since the word "Church" belongs only to Christians. Not once do the main characters deny the right of this cult to call itself such.

Despite all the descriptions and references to past events, we are no closer to understanding what "The Event" was that caused "The Change", or where the so-called prophet came from. A little back story on those would have been good.

2.0 out of 5 stars boring..simply boring, Dec 31 2010
Marc Petrick (Sudbury, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This series had such potential but this last entry, a boring walk across the continent to an dissapointing, anticlimactic end makes you realize that we have a limited amount of time in our life and you want the time you spent reading this book back.

For those of you starting this series, stop at the Protector's War. Your not missing anything after that.

5.0 out of 5 stars non delievery, Oct. 12 2010
I ordered this product through amazon.ca. It never arrived. Ups did not deliever.
I will not use Amazon.ca ever again.
I went to Chapters. The book cost 5 dollars more but I got it.
The book is what I expected. More of battle,romance,political intrique,pyscholgy etc. I wait for the next sequel.Sf sequels take too long to arrive

The High King of Montival: A Novel of the Change
The High King of Montival: A Novel of the Change by S. M. Stirling (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 6 2011)
CDN$ 11.50 CDN$ 10.37