countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on June 26, 2003
I really disliked this book, and I think I'm one of the only people on Amazon.com who isn't going to give this book praise. Not only did I find Lily Bart an annoying heroine (her only goal during the entire book is to get married, hopefully to a rich person) but I also found Edith Wharton's writing convoluted and overly complex. Wharton could've said some things in a simpler, more direct English but she chooses to write in a highfalutin fashion, using SAT-type words and overly convoluted sentence structures. In my opinion, Wharton comes across as just another early 20th century woman writer who tries way too hard to impress others with her complicated writing. The book, while depicting the social strata of early 20th century New York very well, is just another book by a self-impressed female writer about a very weak female character. Now, I am a female myself, and I frankly have no time for these female authors and their books about wimpy girls. Forget about Wharton. I'd much rather read something by Dickens, Hemingway, or Fitzgerald.
on January 21, 2001
I found the book the House of Mirth to be totally horrible. I found that learning all about her life, money troubles, sex sacndals, and worries were tiresome and uninteresting. The writer Edith Whaton has had some of the common probalems related to the book and seems to me as a cry for help. This book upset me, as I enjoyed the wonderful beginning with cheerful Selden, but became hauntingly horrible within the next few chapters. The book went on for much to long and showed that Wharton has no self control over how boring her books can become in the long 400 some pages. I belive that if you enjoy a book about a womans horrible life go ahead and read it, but if you don't like books that could just bring you down after a few chapters...find some other book, like Harry Potter!
on August 17, 2003
I can not recommend books that do not have protagonists I can like or understand. Lily's character has values that I reject and is unable to even live within them, so I do not find her unhappy end to be very affecting. If Wharton wanted to rail on Lily's society, why did she try to make us pity a member of it whose main redeeming wuality was her appearance?