5.0 out of 5 stars I saw the movie first. The book difference was a surprise
An unnamed time traveler sees the future of man (802,701 A.D.) and then the inevitable future of the world. He tells his tale in detail.

Published on Jan. 19 2008 by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book
Published on May 27 2004 by Brendan

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw the movie first. The book difference was a surprise, Jan. 19 2008
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

I grew up on the Rod Taylor /George Pal movie. When I started the book I expected it to be slightly different with a tad more complexity as with most book/movie relationships. I was surprised to find the reason for the breakup of species (Morlock and Eloi) was class Vs atomic (in later movie versions it was political). I could live with that but to find that some little pink thing replaced Yvette Mimieux was too munch.

After all the surprises we can look at the story as unique in its time, first published in 1895, yet the message is timeless. The writing and timing could not have been better. And the ending was certainly appropriate for the world that he describes. Possibly if the story were written today the species division would be based on eugenics.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Start of Something Special, Sept. 14 2010
Dave_42 "Dave_42" (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Time Machine (Paperback)
In any discussion of the history of Science Fiction, H. G. (Herbert George) Wells is sure to be mentioned, and "The Time Machine" is the first of his novels/novellas. Wells may not have invented the genre, but his impact on it would be difficult to overstate. Unlike Verne, Wells was able to go beyond just what could be accomplished by science currently, and the invention of a Time Machine is central to the story Wells is telling. That is not to say that he has nothing to say on current sciences as well, just that he allows stories to take readers far beyond that which Verne would allow.

The history of "The Time Machine" is an unusual one. Wells had used the subject of time travel repeatedly starting in 1888 with his incomplete serial "The Chronic Argonauts". It next took form in a series of articles published in "The National Observer" in 1894, and then finally as a serial novel in "The New Review" in early 1895 when editor W. E. Henley moved from one publication to the other at the end of 1894 and convinced Wells to write it as a serial for his new publication.

The story itself is quite unusual as well. Wells refrains from naming the Time Traveler at all, and the narrator also remains nameless except one reference to a person named Hillyer in the final chapter before the Epilogue, which apparently refers to him. The only major character whose name is repeatedly used is Weena, the childlike woman whom the Time Traveler meets in the year 802,701 A.D. Though Verne would have considered the Time Machine a cheat, i.e. non-scientific, Wells does include other bits and pieces of science in the telling of this tale and there is a point he is making about science as well. He touches on evolution, astrophysics, and sociology in looking at what could happen to a society if life is too much of a utopia, as well as looking at the social divisions in the society of his time and where they may lead.

The story is a quick read, at around 90 pages, and just 12 chapters and the epilogue the reader can easily get through this in a single sitting if they desire. It also, despite its flaws, captures the reader's attention and so one is willing to forgive the flaws in the story-telling.

The Penguin Classics edition of "The Time Machine" also contains an Introduction by Marina Warner, notes on the text by the editor Patrick Parrinder, and textual notes by Steven Mclean. Lastly, though certainly not least, it contains Wells preface to the 1931 edition of "The Time Machine" in which Wells discusses the circumstances in his life when he wrote it, as well as his view that the work will outlive him. Flawed though the story may be, it is a significant work, very readable, and the Penguin Classics edition adds to the experience with the added material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, July 7 2004
This is the story of an inventor that travels to the distant future in hopes of seeing how advanced humankind has become.
Instead, he finds humanity divided into two separate but interdependent species. There are the peaceful, beautiful, indolent, and fairly stupid Eloi who live a life of ease in a surface garden where they await being summoned by the Morlocks who are ugly, brutish, and cannibalistic. The Morlocks live underground where they run machines and just about everything else as well.
Ignorant of the Morlocks, the inventor make the acquaintance of an Eloi woman named Weena and, typical of the 19th-century male, finds her lack of actual intelligence rather endearing and falls in love with her. She shows him through the ruins of all that remains of his ancient world. There seems to have been a nuclear war, which is interesting, since this book was written in the 19th, NOT the 20th century.
When the Morlocks introduce themselves to the inventor by stealing his time machine, he must set about to rescue both himself and the Eloi....
The only reason I give this old favorite of mine 4 stars instead of 5 is for the often old-fashioned language that, though fast-paced for a Victorian novel, is still sometimes rather heavy in places. Yet the wonderful story more than redeems itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a Great Adventure, June 19 2004
Matt Poole (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
H.G. Wells, in The Time Machine, spins a classic tale full of adventure, vivid landscapes, sci-fi speculation and even a bit of veiled socialist politics.
An eccentric scientist, known only as the Time Traveller to us, invents a machine that can travel along the fourth dimension, which he has discovered to be time. He flings himself into the far future. Is there high civilization? No. Is there high technology? No. What he finds in the future is far more curious...
Personally, I couldn't put it down. I was reading it on a train trip, and I was so involved, I almost missed my station! Well's style really drew me in. It was like being told the story by an old friend. His descriptions are simple and effective, and you can almost feel the curiousity of the Time Traveller. Like him, you will want to know what happens next, from the speculations at the beginning, to the question filled ending.
Though much of it has been imitated and repeated in time travelling stories since, I thought the "scientific" parts of the book were still fresh today, particularly the reasons Wells gives for why we can't naturally go back in time, and why you will never see a person in the process of travelling back in time. Very clever.
In some ways, the "future" part of the book is a cautionary tale, in some ways it's a social commentary. Either way, the general message I got is that the actions of the past will have consequences in the future, even if we might not see them. Extensions of this concept have been very well used in science fiction since.
If you're looking for a well written adventure to capture you're imagination for a few hours, the Time Machine is a book worth checking out. Exciting and thought provoking all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw the movie first. The book difference was a surprise., Aug. 31 2005
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Time Machine (Hardcover)

After al the surprises we can look at the story as unique in its time, first published in 1895, yet the message is timeless. The writing and timing could not have been better. And the ending was certainly appropriate for the world that he describes. Possibly if the story were written today the species division would be based on eugenics.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book, May 27 2004
Although I didn't like this one as much as Wells' other books, I did enjoy it and I am glad I read it. His view of the future is one that is interesting and thought-provoking. The book remains fresh and suprising despite its age. Unfortunately, it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. The reader learns the theme of the book pretty early on, and the rest of the book the reader follows the time traveler home. I feel like Wells could have done more with this book and done more with the main character, the time traveler.
Although this book was fun to read, and the theme was very interesting and worth thinking about, more could have been done and the reader is left a little unfulfilled. If you have read HG Wells and enjoyed his other books then I definately think you should read this one. If not, I suggest you start with some of his other works like Dr. Moreau or The Invisible Man.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Time Machine, July 20 2004
Jacob Gest (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells depeicts the story of a man known as the time traveler who travels into the distant future with a time machine that he creates.
I enjoyed this book pretty well, it is quite short and a quick read. The story is told through the voice of a man who is visiting the time travalers house at one of his many dinner parties. The entire book is written in first person. All and all a good book and an interesting view on what future lies ahead as told in the late 19th century.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Time Machine, May 19 2004
Jeremy Corll (Pittsburgh, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
The Time Machine, written by H. G. Wells was an interesting book about a man who travels through time. Not a whole lot of information is given on this character, other than he is a scientist who has created a time machine to travel through time. Not even his name is given, although he is addressed as the 'Time Traveller'. Other than this, that is just about all that is said about him. The other characters are not described too well either, their names and their profession are given but not too much else. I feel H. G. Wells does this to try to stir the reader's imagination and make them form their own characters and conclusions.
The story starts out with the Time Traveller just returning from his travels and is hoasting a dinner party with other scientists and people who have a high status in society so he may explain his travels to them.
The Time Traveller tells the guests that he entered a whole different time, the year 802,700. He then goes on to explain about the people he met there. He met two kinds of people, or creatures. They were known as the Noli and the Morlocks. The Noli were peacefull creatures and also very childlike. They were small and very kind. "Indeed, there was something in these pretty little people that inspired confidence -a graceful gentleness, a certain childlike ease." On the other hand the Morlocks were just the opposite, they were big and hairy, mean and very cruel, they also eat Noli at night. Therefore the Noli are terrified of the night time because they fear they are going to be eaten. Through the story the Time Traveller becomes friends with the Noli and learns their language and their way of life while he tries to find his time machine. The Morlocks stole the machine and prevents the Time Traveller from finding it.
H. G. Wells uses very descriptive words to describe some of the landscape, but not so much the people. "The big doorway opened into a proportionately great hall hung with brown. The roof was in shadow, and the windows, partially glazed with coloured glass and partially unglazed, admitted a tempered light." He then goes on more to talk about what the floor is made up of and all these other details that can clearly paint a picture in your mind. There are other parts which he does not describe so clearly such as "The arch of the doorway was richly carved, but naturally I did not observe the carving very narrowly, though I fancied I saw suggestions of old Phoenician decorations as I passed through." I did not find this to be too descriptive, but it still gave the reader a basic knowlege of what it was like.
Overall i found this book to be very interesting as it made me think of how it can relate to today's society. I urge anyone to read this book because it is a classic and a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Time Machine is one book you don't want to miss out on!, May 17 2004
Kimberly Meyers (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
The Time Machine written by H.G.Wells is an all around great book. The way H.G.Wells describes the characters in this book is superb and it keeps you interested the whole time.
There were several aspects I liked about this book. One being the way he describes the characters. He describes them with such great detail from the way they look to the way they act. One group that he meets is called the Eloi. The Time Traveller describes them by saying, " Then I felt other soft little tentacles upon my back and shoulders. There was nothing in this alarming. Indeed, there was something in these pretty little people that inspired confidence, a graceful gentleness, a certain childlike ease. And besides they looked so frail that I could fancy myself flinging the whole dozen of them about like nine-pins. But I made a sudden motion to warn them when I saw their little pink hands feeling the Time Machine. And then I looked more nearly into their features, and I saw some futhur peculiarities in their Dresde-china type of prettiness. Their hair was uniformly curly, their ears were singularly minute, their mouths were small and bright red, and there eyes were large and mild." There is so much description in that quote and I just love it. It's so good that you can make a picture in your head of what they would of looked like.
A second aspect in the book that I liked was when the Time Traveller relizes his Time Machine had vanished. I really like this part in the book because without his Time Machine there's no way he can get back and it makes you wonder what happened to it and what is going to happen to him. I loved how it just left you wondering. The Time Traveller says " When I reached the lawn my worst fears were relized. Not a trace of the thing was to be seen. I felt faint and cold when I faced the empty space amoung the black tangle of bushes. I ran around it furiously, as if the thing might be hidden in a corner and then stopped abruptly, with my hand clutching my hair. Above me towered the sphinx, upon the bronze pedestal,white,shining,in the light of the rising moon." When you find out it's behind the bronze doors it makes it even more interesting because you say to yourself how did the Time Machine get back there and how is the Time Traveller going to get it back? It makes you wonder what kind of creature is behind that door and that is why that makes this part of the novel so good.
A third aspect I liked about the book is when the Time Traveller saved a Eloi named Weena from drowning in the river. I enjoyed the part when they became friends after Weena kept following the Time Traveller everywhere. The Time Traveller says, " She was exactly like a child. She wanted to be with me always. She tried to follow me everywhere." At first the Time Traveller trys to leave her but then relizes he liked having her around. So from then on they were friends and I thought that was a really sweet part in the book and I liked it a lot.
A fourth aspect I liked about the book was when he met the Morlocks. He described them as subterranean,ape-like vermin. He could tell by there smell and appearance that they were obviously carnivores but they had stolen his Time Machine and he wanted it back. He figured out that the Morlocks would eat the Eloi at night when they grew hungry and that is why the Eloi feared darkness. I liked learning about these creatures because they were different then anything I had ever heard or read about it. I thought they were cool characters even though they ate the Eloi.
There was a fifth aspect in the book that I didn't like. It was when the Time Traveller and Weena were making there way home in the dark and all of a sudden these Morlocks start to surround them. The Time Traveller lights a match to scare them away but evenually ignites a larger fire to slow them down. Soon enough the whole forest is on fire and the Time Traveller makes it out ok but Weena doesn't and she dies. The time Traveller is very upset by this because they had become such great friends. I thought this was a very sad moment in the book becuase Weena was such a nice and gentle character and then she gets killed by a fire. I didnt like how that happened and that is why this is one aspect in the book I didn't like.
Overall The Time Machine is a awesome book. Its one of those books that you pick up and you can't put it back down because it always keeps you wondering what is going to happen next. Anyone who hasn't read this should definitely read it because this is one book you don't want to miss out on!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Time Machine?!, March 2 2004
Lezlie Bock (Phoenix, Arizona) - See all my reviews
If you were to build a time machine where would you go? In the story, THE TIME MACHINE, the Time Traveller goes into the future to see what the human's outcome is. Instead of finding a sophisticated human race, he finds Eloi and the vicious Morlocks who ruled over them. The Morlocks steal the time machine and after many quarrels and fights with them he manages to retrieve his Time Machine once again. He travels back to his time only to be dissapointed that none of his friends believe his incredible journey. The last anyone saw of the Time Traveller was when he jumped into his time machine and vanished. That was years ago and no one has seen him since. Did the Time Traveller go into the past or back to the future? No one knows for sure.One reason why someone should read this book is that you can compare your thoughts of the future with someone else and see if your thoughts change. Another reason why one should read this book is that it takes you on a journey, away from the present time and situation.

The Time Machine
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 2002)
CDN$ 4.50 CDN$ 4.05
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available