5.0 out of 5 stars "Feeling Good" is great!
Published on April 21 1998 by afan@flinet.com

3.0 out of 5 stars As feel good books go, it's ok
I haven't really read the book yet. I've just glanced at it, but I suppose as feel good books are very general, it will be ok
Published 1 month ago by Linda Sohmer

3.0 out of 5 stars As feel good books go, it's ok, Feb. 21 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars "Feeling Good" is great!, April 21 1998
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
Reading "The Feeling Good Handbook" did me more good than three years of talk therapy; I can't recommend it highly enough. Rather than simply help you dredge through your past for the origins to your problems, Dr. Burns gives you the cognitive tools to allow you to reshape your thinking patterns, and with them, your feelings and actions. If you think you'll never be able to change your depressive or destructive thoughts, read this book, do the exercises, and watch your life change for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The power of positive thinking, March 12 2003
Avery Z. Conner (West Lafayette, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
This book is a classic and probably should be read by everyone. I say this in spite of coming from the school of thought that much of depression is biochemical and is not easily undone without medication. Nonetheless, correcting negative thought patterns is an important part of undoing depression, especially mild depression. This book is well-written, easy to read, and thorough. Highly recommended. Avery Z. Conner, author of "Fevers of the Mind".

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped Me Get Unstuck!, July 20 2000
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
I found this book during a period in which I was unmotivated and feeling "stuck" in my job. Within several days my eyes were opened to some things that I could do to improve my situation. It prompted me to take some positive actions to help get back on track.
Burns is a good writer and the book provides a wealth insightful guidance. There is a lot here, so feel free to skip the chapters that don't pertain to your needs while focusing on those that do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pragmatic and effective - do the work and get results., Oct. 13 1999
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
I don't like self help books and I don't want to examine my navel.
But in tough times - bad days,or bad weeks - this is a practical outline and series of exercises which helps me clarify my thoughts.
It requires effort but it has helped me immediately. I do recommend it to my friends when they tell me they need to change - quit smoking, lose weight, stop being angry. If you can believe that tomorrow might be better, try this book and give yourself permission to be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's my guideline to life!, March 6 1999
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
I used to run a self help group for anxiety disorders and this book was what I used as our guidelines. It is totally reality based and I really appreciate that David Burns did not talk down to people or demoralize them for having problems with anxiety or depression. He made the whole process matter of fact and I still use his book all the time (it's totally dog earred) as I refer to it often when times or good or bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives people hope, Feb. 16 1999
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
As a social worker who has helped those face depression, and as a person who has faced depressive episodes as well, I found this book very helpful and applicable to the challenges faced by being human. It gives the reader hope that things can change and that other people face the same types of problems in their everyday lives. The aspect I most appreciated about the book was that David Burns communicates to the reader compassion and that we can learn how to love and value ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book teaches us a powerful method to feel happy., Feb. 7 1999
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
Dr. Burn's, let me thank you from the depths of my heart for writing such a jewel of a book. It is worth a million dollars.
Friends, this book puts in our hands a simple, powerful, fast-acting, and long-lasting formula to feel good about ourselves. The formula is that it is our thoughts that cause our emotions. Our negative emotions (sadness, anger, etc.) are most often caused by our distorted thoughts. The trick to being happy most of the time is to replace those distorted thoughts with more realistic ones. This books clearly explains what thought variables cause what emotions. It also teaches us how to replace those distorted thoughts with more realistic ones. This book encompasses his earlier best-seller "Feeling Good" and goes beyond it by applying the mood therapy to an entire range of everyday problems.
I have never before felt so good about myself. People have actually remarked that I have glow about me. Friends, you should not only buy this book for yourself but should buy an extra one for a good friend.
Your buddy from NYC

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for just about everyone, March 14 1998
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
Anyone that's ever hit a "rough patch" in life or knows someone that has, would benefit from reading this book. It focuses on the way we reinforce negative feelings in ourselves and provides practical ways of breaking the habit. Its upbeat "self help" tone wasn't much to my own liking, but its "cognitive" approach is scientifically respectable and actually works, even if you don't do all of the recommended exercises. It makes me feel good just to re-read chapters. The medication section at the end is very outdated.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real lifesaver!, March 12 1998
This review is from: The Feeling Good Handbook (Paperback)
I first discovered this book in the fall of 1997, several months after my father was murdered by his brother, who then took his own life.
My therapist recommended it highly, and for a good reason--it's great! I could see the thought
patterns behind depression, and I was then able (thanks to the helpful charts and worksheets in the book)
to keep my anxious or extremely depressed moods/thoughts from driving me to the edge.
If you're depressed or have a loved one who is, then buy this book! You'll be
glad you did--I promise you that.

ARRAY(0xa985742c)

The Feeling Good Handbook
The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns (Paperback - Jan. 1 1981)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01