5.0 out of 5 stars FAT DAYS ARE OVER!
Published on Feb. 1 2002 by K. Lordan-Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars questionable info
I have several objections concerning this book. My objections mainly refer to the diet section, in particular her recommendation of alfalfa sprouts. Alfalfa is listed among plants which are toxic for cats. There are other questionable suggestions concerning diet. Take everything with a big grain of salt.
Another objection is that her nice story with lovely happy...
Published on Feb. 8 2002 by Alek0

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars FAT DAYS ARE OVER!, Feb. 1 2002
K. Lordan-Morris "MORRIS" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
I used to be a fat lazy "Garfield" type cat. I am 10 years old and I hadn't played in almost six years because it was too much of an effort. My coat was brittle, full of dandruff and my belly nearly hung to the ground. I wheezed a lot since my belly was so big. My owners were very worried about me. They put me on these really expensive prescription diets that the vet recommended but I just kept getting more and more bloated. One day I noticed my Mommy reading THE NEW NATURAL CAT. I had hoped that she would finally come to understand me in the 400+ pages of this book. I believe my mommy paid attention! I believe my mommy finally understands how to feed me and how to communicate with me. I am a happier and healthier cat than I have ever been. I have lost 7 pounds, my coat is shiny and beautiful and I am in a much better mood. It is so much fun to play and pounce and scratch my post again. I can run again! I am not wheezing. My purrrrr may not be as loud because I am not as big but I am happier than I have ever been. If you want to help your feline friends - please, please, read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing diet information!, Sept. 23 2011
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
This book helped me understand cat nutrition.
DRY FOOD is JUNK FOOD for your cat.
It took me a under a week & my 3 older (10 yrs old)cats are finally off of DRY FOOD.

will make him or her sick & die - WARNING.

I did what the book said:
WEEK 1 -
-remove all dry food,
-& replace with 4 small meals a day of wet food(canned cat food or pureed chicken)
-In the Baby food Chicken/pureed chicken:make sure that there is NO ONIONS or SALT added, both are TOXIC to cats.
Make your own pureed chicken with a blender.
-I bought frozen raw chicken food for cats(Red Dog Blue Cat brand from the neighbourhood pet food store (look for a freezer)[...]
-I mix the raw chicken food for cats with the Purreed Chicken.(half & half)
-I add grated carrot & heinz baby food creamed corn.
So thats:
-40 percent protein(raw cat food chicken & baby food purreed chicken)
-30 percent vegie (carrot)
-30 percent grain (creamed corn)
-1/4 teaspoon of Cod Liver Oil (or some salmon oil for cats, find in pet store)

One of my fussiest cats is slowly transitioning to the raw yet, i mix more pureed chicken than frozen raw chicken for cats. (Has only been 1 week)
Remember for the first week you will be feeding them more often, do not restrict calorie intake of obese cats, feed them 4 meals aday to start. My cats got hungry every 5-6 hours,so i had to take notes of times they ate, so i would know when the next feeding time will be.
WEEK 2 -
All 3 cats are eating now:
-1 1/2 teaspoons of Raw Chicken for Cats (Red Dog Blue Cat brand from a pet food store freezer)
-1/2-1 teaspoon of grated carrots
-1/4 teaspoon of Cod Liver Oil, or salmon oil for cats, find in pet store)
Mix together above with a fork.
Place on a new plate if Presentation is important to your cat.
On top i smeared 1/4 teaspoon of pureed chicken
THEY GOBBLED IT ALL UP GLEAFULLY!
They get hungry every 5-6 hrs - So I feed them!

WEEK 3 -
ALL 3 cats are on the raw chicken cat food from red dog blue kat brand.
Nothing added. They eat more of the food now that its just raw chicken food, 1 cat gets hungry every 3 hours, other 2 cats get hungry every 5-6 hours.

WEEK 4 -
I've adjusted the diet, after following their bowel movements.
Two cats prefer some extra grated carrot added, as well as 1/4 teaspoon of cod liver oilor salmon oil. Other cat not into carrots, so just 1/4 teaspoon of cod liver oil or salmon oil added.
They eat every 6 hours.

WARNING:
During the first month of transition diet:
YOU WILL HAVE TO WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT TO FEED ON SCHEDULE.
So get some cat naps yourself!!!!

All their coats are softer & they're more mellow.
They poo less.
They have way more energy!!!

Remember to give tons of brushing & petting during the first 4 weeks of the new diet. (Remember how u feel when u diet, better with no stress)
I also add 1/4 tsp of cod liver oil or salmon oil,
for a softer stool during week 1-2.

Raw Chicken Cat food Red Dog Blue Kat brand is from pet store freezer section
READ THIS BOOK - IT IS A BIBLE FOR CAT HEALTH!!!!!
Well at least your not in the dark anymore.

will make him or her sick & die - WARNING.

Ask your vet how to help your overweight kitty.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! What a GREAT book!, June 25 2004
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
This is THE best book on this topic that I've read, & I've read several. This book is loaded with usable, understandable information with how-to explanations. NO prior knowledge of natural-care-giving is needed to understand Anitra's writings.
Even the page layout is pleasant, with lots of white space surrounding the text; it's easy on the eyes.
I rescue dogs/cats, find appropriate homes for the healthy and adopt the "unadoptable." I am permanent guardian to almost 30 nonhumans. Since a child (now mid-aged), I've never had less than 8 cats & 2 dogs. I know animals & animal books.
If you can only afford 1 book, or perhaps don't care to read lots of books, BUY THIS ONE! I am thoroughly impressed. If you can buy/read two books, get "Dr Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats." These 2 books are referenced in many other books of this type. Having read both, I understand why: They're both GREAT!
My ONLY COMPLAINT with the text: Anitra refers to us as "pet owners." We do not "own" our pets (nor our children). Therefore, we are not "pet owners" but are "pet guardians." I'll write Anitra :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense and Knowledge Of Your Cat Are Necessary!, April 13 2004
cmm912 "catmailander" (Mercerville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
I would recommend this book to anyone who is truly in-tune with their pet(s). I am grateful to the authors writing this book and to the publishers for publishing it. I have owned it for 10 years. I credit this book with giving me 3 extra years with the love-of-my-life (Rubble), after her doctor said she may only live one more year because of her deteriorating kidney disease. I am not a very new age type of person, however, using the Bach Flower Remedies in conjunction with some traditional medications from my vet, as well as the communication techniques outlined in this book, Rubble had a wonderful quality of life until 21 years of age! Admittedly, I have never fed any of my cats a raw diet or the medicinal broths as this book recommends (and this is where the common sense comes in), simply because I REALLY know my cats, I make a point of being in-tune with them, and more importantly, if something sounds a little too "out-there," I use my common sense, my better judgement, and consult with my veterinarian. I treat my pets as I would my children, I would never put their health or well-being in jeopardy simply because I read something in a book! With that said, the communication techniques described in this book are outstanding and if you have never tried Bach Flower Remedies for your pets, you don't know what you're missing!! I have used Bach Flower Remedy recipes from this book on Rubble for a skin condition related to her kidney disease, as well as on several of the 5 cats that live with me now, with AMAZING SUCCESS!! So, if you know your cat and you have common sense, don't be afraid to use this book!!!! It's wonderful!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous--don't trust it, Oct. 2 2003
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
Frazier is not a vet. Neither is Eckroate. My cat died because I followed the experience in this book, rather than what my vet said.
Her tone indicates that she is an authority, and if you truly love your cat you will do exactly what the book says, and the vets are just not knowing what is going on. And there are times she has some good advice. The book has some great stuff for grooming. BUT, it should not be taken seriously any time a cat has a real health problem. Listen to your vet, not a groomer. Hopefully your cats will live longer then the 4.5 years my "natural cat" survived.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, but very New Age-y, Sept. 29 2003
Angelien "angelzen" (New Brighton, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
I'd checked this book out from the library and read it several times before I actually made the decision to buy it. The information in this book seems more or less sound. It explains a lot about cat behavior, and continually encourages finicky owners to "look to nature" for answers about food and caretaking. Also, it's got a very good section on grooming cats, which is very important (especially for long-furred felines). Generally, it has given me a lot of helpful information, but it is also full of "New Age" ideas about health care and cat communication. Now, as much as i'd like to believe in homeopatic remedies and Bach Flower Treatments, scientific tests have shown that it's rather doubtful that these things actually work. I'd also like to believe that cats have some sort of psychic communication, but a lot of people are likely to laugh off the possibility. In any case, if you're a cat owner who gets nervous about things like processed cat food and toxic flea treatments, it's definitely worth it to check out the suggestions and instructions in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just one word of caution, Jan. 7 2003
E. Yeo (Singapore Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
This book is great for anyone who truly loves their cats. i only have one concern: Ms Frazer advocates feeding cats baby food, which is generally acceptable in certain circumstances. However, she does not clarify that owners should not feed baby food that contains onion powder, as it is highly toxic to cats. So please be warned, fellow cat lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that no cat "parent" should be without!, Nov. 13 2002
Kelly C. Connell "K.A. Connell" (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
This is a common sense guide to parenting a cat or cats. The book is so easy to read and it is full of things that a pet owner should know. The first day I received it I read 121 pages of it. Anitra's book was recommended to me by my homeopathic vet and it has helped me tremedously. If you already have cats or if you are a new "parent" or considering getting a cat, please read this book first. I feel so much better now knowing that I am doing the right thing to help my cats lead a healthier, happier and more content life. Wonderfully written, easy to understand and very practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for true feline lovers, Aug. 31 2002
"pegyost" (Whitier, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
I have used this book as the best reference for treating
ailments, assisting in recovery, emotional problems,
diet, as complementary use to standard veterinary
medicine (although the author tells you frankly and
without reservation when a vet must be consulted).
It's written with true compassion for the feline
members of the family. I have learned so much about
diet, home health care, natural remedies, and so much
more, with very positive results. Get a copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get a second opinion, for your cat's sake, July 29 2002
Neal C. Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
There is a lot of information here, some of it very good and very helpful. But there is some information here, especially that on diet and vaccinations, that I would advise getting second opinions on. I'm sure that everything here has worked for cats that Anitra's worked with, but different authorities have had different experiences, and especially these recommendations on nutrition and medical treatment are challenged by other authorities.
The book is obviously written with love, and this lady exhibits a true passion for her feline friends. She does bring home the fact that these precious pets are dependent upon us for proper care. But I would get a veterinarian's views before following some of her advice and if there's a conflict, go the way that you're sure is the very best and safest for your cat.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

New Natural Cat
New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier (Paperback - Oct. 1 1990)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.38