Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Kitchen Kindle giftguide Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

on April 19, 2000
I bought this book while in a pink cloud after a successful new cat introduction by my sister using Anitra's suggested method. I found her feeding instructions bogus. I agree with not overfeeding a cat, however her feeding ideas are based on the idea of a cat in the wild may get a mouse a day and be healthy. Well, guess what animals in captivity live longer, lots. My old guy has been on prescription CD all his life. There are good tips, but not all can be taken at face value. I don't like to declaw a cat, but my 16 year old part Siamese surely isn't crippled. My sister would declaw a cat for the cat. She was more horrified by her incredible part chinchilla persian howling for hours to get in the living room. Declawed cats do not belong outside, nor in my opinion any cat. I know this will raise some hackles, but anthropormophizing a cat has its limits. Also, how come my 16 year old NEVER had a mother, not from day one and is perfectly litter trained? I didn't hold him in litter and do all that stimuli stuff. I did that under warm running water until he and his sister were old enough, no mess. I did add excretia from a grown cat to their litter which I think is a must, but we have had no problems, and his "momma" didn't train him. I think Anitra needs more head stand asanas, ask Satch for a few. Please think for yourself. I am glad she debunked subcut rehydration and other medical treatment, so it is doable for scaredy owners. I liked the book overall, but I would have enjoyed more stories and less pontification. Some of the logic by Anitra is just abitra too much.
on February 27, 2000
I have used this book for about seven years. It has been a wonderful resource for me and my multi-cat household, not to mention my various foster (feral) cats. This book is my feline textbook. Those who wish to go beyond the narrow Western view of veterinary care will absolutely love this book! It has endless suggestions on inexpensive and innovative home care that involve herbs, flower remedies, vitamins, broths, diet, home nursing, grooming, behavior, litter box, scratching post, neutering/spaying, common feline health problems, etc. Anitra Frazier's expertise goes on and on in many categories - she knows an incredible amount about cats. Even though this book was published in 1990, but it is definitely NOT out-of-date. It is well worth the money!
on January 26, 2000
Thanks to The New Natural Cat I am happier. I suffer kiddey disease and require shots of Ringer's Lactate. My owners read this book and learned how to heat the fluids so they don't hurt when I get the shots. They also changed my diet and I am now given the nutrients I need in order to survive with my disease. Thanks to this book, I am a better kitty.
on January 9, 2000
If you eschew the supermarket for the health food store and Tylenol for chamomile, this is the book for you (and your cat). It covers everything from how to make organic cat food to treating disease, cutting toenails and saying goodbye to your cat before going away. For those less sure of their ability to follow directions in a way that will be safe for their cat (I understand that not everyone will be comfortable putting raw organic chicken in the food processor with clover sprouts and quinoa or rice), the author also suggests products you can buy ready-made at pet stores to boost your cat's health and vitality.
Three years ago I adopted a mangy kitten from the Humane Society that had been rescued in the woods by the game warden, and was thought to be the offspring of a feral cat and possibly a bobcat (a not uncommon occurence in NW Washington state). She had a terrible case of ear mites, which the vet at the Humane Society said could only be dealt with using harsh chemicals. Following the advice in this book, I got rid of the ear mites with herbs, olive oil and Vitamin E. Three cheers for natural cat care!
on October 31, 1999
The author sounds like a fanatic and her advice, in the hands of an average cat owner can be dangerous. She advocates feeding raw food - something that can have serious complications if not handled correctly. She also is against vaccinating your cat. Since the highly contagious Feline leukemia virus kills so many cats each year, I find it irresponsible of Anitra Frazier not to be in favor of protection through vaccination.
Frazier is full of warm fuzzies as a cat lover, but as a real-life expert when it comes to the daily needs of cats, this book misses the mark.
Don't get me wrong, I adore my cats and go to great lengths to ensure their health and happiness, but I think Anitra Frazier has been getting too close to the catnip.
on October 28, 1999
Anitra Frazier's experience with cats gives her book an authenticity unmatched by other books about cats. What first struck me about it is her love for cats--a love extending to my cats, for whom she wants me to do the best I can. So, she tells me how!
In aiding me to assess problems correctly, she also tells me what to do about them, giving me the confidence to do things myself, to take responsibility for the cats and their health in a way I hadn't considered. In the process, this book has saved me hundreds of dollars in vet bills.
Switching to the raw meat diet she advocates make my cats healthier, happier, more energetic and affectionate than I thought possible! My vet marvels at the brimming good health of one of my cats who has a weak immune system and an auto-immune disease.
Anitra has helped me see things from a cat's point of view--which helps me care for them better. In understanding them better, I communicate better with them and we're all happier.
on October 17, 1999
I first found this book in my local library-after reading through it I purchsed a copy of my own. Because of the information in this book, I was able to keep my cat, Loki, alive and in decent health for more than two years longer than the Veterinarian had given him, when first diagnosing him with kidney disease. The book showed me how to hydrate him, and feed him a healthy diet that kept him in good condition until he was 18, and finally died. The Vet. was impressed with how well he did, since kidney disease is very dehabilitating-Loki's coat was beautiful, and his eyes clear, right up to the end.
on August 27, 1999
This book was given to me as a present. One of my cats became very ill with the symptoms listed under irritable bowel syndrome. The vet told me the cat would die when he was about 10 months old. I followed the Natural Cat book advice (made him the chicken broth recipe that's in the book and put him on the chicken broth for 3 or 4 days). Then I switched him to a high fiber diet. I didn't make his food, but instead used Science Diet Lite which is high fiber. Farcus is now 9 years old and obviously survived thanks to the advice outlined in this book. This book does stress the importance of regularly bringing your cat to the vet, not just following the book. Best book on health care for cats I've seen.
on August 24, 1999
I bought this book when my 13 year old vaccinated cat suddenly tested positive for the leukemia virus (tested 3 times). The vets couldn't offer me any way of treating him other than to wait for him to get a secondary disease and die. This book offers many options of how to help your cat. I read it over and over and tried to "treat" mine. A few months later he tested negative! Buy this book!! Hope this is ok to do here but some things I did for my cat, which were mostly based on the book, were to start giving him very good filtered water, more real food (especially Chicken livers) and better quality canned food,& buffered Vitamin C (just a little). I also made sure he had his own blanket with auto-shutoff heating pad. I also spent a lot more time with him and kept talking to him.
on July 23, 1999
This book has really been extremely helpful. It has a lot of great general information on cat health and cat behavior, as well as specific suggestions for different cat health situations. I had borrowed The New Natural Cat some time ago to get some advice on how to introduce our new kitten to our older cat. The suggestions were great! After some initial hissing the kitties ended up being great friends - playing together, sleeping in a big cat-ball, and cleaning each other's faces. I just bought my own copy when our little three year old kitty had been diagnosed with an inoperable mass in her chest, and we knew she wouldn't be with us long. This book has taught me how to give kitty her pills easily (THANK YOU!!!), and has given me comfort and strength to do the right thing for her when the time comes. I wish I had purchased the book years ago.