5.0 out of 5 stars FAT DAYS ARE OVER!
I used to be a fat lazy "Garfield" type cat. I am 10 years old and I hadn't played in almost six years because it was too much of an effort. My coat was brittle, full of dandruff and my belly nearly hung to the ground. I wheezed a lot since my belly was so big. My owners were very worried about me. They put me on these really expensive prescription diets that the vet...
Published on Feb. 1 2002 by K. Lordan-Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars questionable info
I have several objections concerning this book. My objections mainly refer to the diet section, in particular her recommendation of alfalfa sprouts. Alfalfa is listed among plants which are toxic for cats. There are other questionable suggestions concerning diet. Take everything with a big grain of salt.
Another objection is that her nice story with lovely happy...
Published on Feb. 8 2002 by Alek0

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful "natural cat book": well worth the money, Feb. 28 2000
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
I have used this book for about seven years. It has been a wonderful resource for me and my multi-cat household, not to mention my various foster (feral) cats. This book is my feline textbook. Those who wish to go beyond the narrow Western view of veterinary care will absolutely love this book! It has endless suggestions on inexpensive and innovative home care that involve herbs, flower remedies, vitamins, broths, diet, home nursing, grooming, behavior, litter box, scratching post, neutering/spaying, common feline health problems, etc. Anitra Frazier's expertise goes on and on in many categories - she knows an incredible amount about cats. Even though this book was published in 1990, but it is definitely NOT out-of-date. It is well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live Mr Whiskers, Jan. 27 2000
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
Thanks to The New Natural Cat I am happier. I suffer kiddey disease and require shots of Ringer's Lactate. My owners read this book and learned how to heat the fluids so they don't hurt when I get the shots. They also changed my diet and I am now given the nutrients I need in order to survive with my disease. Thanks to this book, I am a better kitty.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one must-have reference for people with cats, Jan. 9 2000
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
If you eschew the supermarket for the health food store and Tylenol for chamomile, this is the book for you (and your cat). It covers everything from how to make organic cat food to treating disease, cutting toenails and saying goodbye to your cat before going away. For those less sure of their ability to follow directions in a way that will be safe for their cat (I understand that not everyone will be comfortable putting raw organic chicken in the food processor with clover sprouts and quinoa or rice), the author also suggests products you can buy ready-made at pet stores to boost your cat's health and vitality.
Three years ago I adopted a mangy kitten from the Humane Society that had been rescued in the woods by the game warden, and was thought to be the offspring of a feral cat and possibly a bobcat (a not uncommon occurence in NW Washington state). She had a terrible case of ear mites, which the vet at the Humane Society said could only be dealt with using harsh chemicals. Following the advice in this book, I got rid of the ear mites with herbs, olive oil and Vitamin E. Three cheers for natural cat care!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too fanatical, Oct. 31 1999
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
The author sounds like a fanatic and her advice, in the hands of an average cat owner can be dangerous. She advocates feeding raw food - something that can have serious complications if not handled correctly. She also is against vaccinating your cat. Since the highly contagious Feline leukemia virus kills so many cats each year, I find it irresponsible of Anitra Frazier not to be in favor of protection through vaccination.
Frazier is full of warm fuzzies as a cat lover, but as a real-life expert when it comes to the daily needs of cats, this book misses the mark.
Don't get me wrong, I adore my cats and go to great lengths to ensure their health and happiness, but I think Anitra Frazier has been getting too close to the catnip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save $ on vet bills, Oct. 28 1999
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
Anitra Frazier's experience with cats gives her book an authenticity unmatched by other books about cats. What first struck me about it is her love for cats--a love extending to my cats, for whom she wants me to do the best I can. So, she tells me how!
In aiding me to assess problems correctly, she also tells me what to do about them, giving me the confidence to do things myself, to take responsibility for the cats and their health in a way I hadn't considered. In the process, this book has saved me hundreds of dollars in vet bills.
Switching to the raw meat diet she advocates make my cats healthier, happier, more energetic and affectionate than I thought possible! My vet marvels at the brimming good health of one of my cats who has a weak immune system and an auto-immune disease.
Anitra has helped me see things from a cat's point of view--which helps me care for them better. In understanding them better, I communicate better with them and we're all happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and informative, Oct. 17 1999
S. R. Diamant "Brannat Dubh" (East Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
I first found this book in my local library-after reading through it I purchsed a copy of my own. Because of the information in this book, I was able to keep my cat, Loki, alive and in decent health for more than two years longer than the Veterinarian had given him, when first diagnosing him with kidney disease. The book showed me how to hydrate him, and feed him a healthy diet that kept him in good condition until he was 18, and finally died. The Vet. was impressed with how well he did, since kidney disease is very dehabilitating-Loki's coat was beautiful, and his eyes clear, right up to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my cat, Aug. 27 1999
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
This book was given to me as a present. One of my cats became very ill with the symptoms listed under irritable bowel syndrome. The vet told me the cat would die when he was about 10 months old. I followed the Natural Cat book advice (made him the chicken broth recipe that's in the book and put him on the chicken broth for 3 or 4 days). Then I switched him to a high fiber diet. I didn't make his food, but instead used Science Diet Lite which is high fiber. Farcus is now 9 years old and obviously survived thanks to the advice outlined in this book. This book does stress the importance of regularly bringing your cat to the vet, not just following the book. Best book on health care for cats I've seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!!!, Aug. 25 1999
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
I bought this book when my 13 year old vaccinated cat suddenly tested positive for the leukemia virus (tested 3 times). The vets couldn't offer me any way of treating him other than to wait for him to get a secondary disease and die. This book offers many options of how to help your cat. I read it over and over and tried to "treat" mine. A few months later he tested negative! Buy this book!! Hope this is ok to do here but some things I did for my cat, which were mostly based on the book, were to start giving him very good filtered water, more real food (especially Chicken livers) and better quality canned food,& buffered Vitamin C (just a little). I also made sure he had his own blanket with auto-shutoff heating pad. I also spent a lot more time with him and kept talking to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to cat care., July 23 1999
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
This book has really been extremely helpful. It has a lot of great general information on cat health and cat behavior, as well as specific suggestions for different cat health situations. I had borrowed The New Natural Cat some time ago to get some advice on how to introduce our new kitten to our older cat. The suggestions were great! After some initial hissing the kitties ended up being great friends - playing together, sleeping in a big cat-ball, and cleaning each other's faces. I just bought my own copy when our little three year old kitty had been diagnosed with an inoperable mass in her chest, and we knew she wouldn't be with us long. This book has taught me how to give kitty her pills easily (THANK YOU!!!), and has given me comfort and strength to do the right thing for her when the time comes. I wish I had purchased the book years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book by a compassionate author, June 21 1999
This review is from: New Natural Cat (Paperback)
This book has provided not only excellent suggestions and techniques but has given us the courage and confidence to try them. We lost a beloved 14-year-old companion last fall and had been unsuccessful in administering subcutaneous fluids at home. When our 15-year-old recently became dehydrated from long-standing kidney disease, we knew he needed more fluids than he was getting but we were afraid to try the sub-q method again. It was only after reading this book's section on fluids that we were able to provide this valuable support to our Poncho. He is now glossy and happy, sitting comfortably purring in my husband's lap as I confidently give him the fluids that he needs. We have all benefitted greatly from this wonderful book.

ARRAY(0xf704e34)

New Natural Cat
New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier (Paperback - Oct. 1 1990)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.28