5.0 out of 5 stars Very outdated mixed with timeless and sound advise.
My mother in law recommended this book as an essential read when my second child was born so to maintain the peace I bought it.

Published on Feb. 22 2011 by RW Todd

3.0 out of 5 stars some good points but very out of date
Published on Feb. 11 2004 by Leah Mack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very outdated mixed with timeless and sound advise., Feb. 22 2011
This review is from: Children: The Challenge: The Classic Work on Improving Parent-Child Relations--Intelligent, Humane, and Eminently Practical (Paperback)

I read it and the first few pages had me chuckling with the slightly racist and very outdated references making me realize how far we've come as parent when reading some of the scenarios. I can truly say it would never dawn on me to leave my 3 year old in the car to watch my 1 year old while I go grocery shopping, nor would I leave a 8 year old in charge of an infant while I ran out and did errands but the majority of the book is brilliant.

I cherry picked things that I could use in my everyday life and found a significant improvement in my relationship with my children, a significant improvement in their everyday behavior and more harmony in the shared parent aspect with my spouse.

This book can be broken down into three components.

Outdated and useless, antiquated but sound, brilliant and timeless parenting.

An excellent resource tool for every new parent.

3.0 out of 5 stars some good points but very out of date, Feb. 11 2004
Leah Mack (Washington DC United States) - See all my reviews
The author has much of value to say regarding the need to encourage children rather than criticize them, the benefit of avoiding power struggles and the egotistical need to be obeyed, and the increasing democratization of the family. However, his promotion of the dicredited, antiquated, and harmful techniques of schedule feeding infants and leaving them alone to cry betray the great age of this book and the incompleteness of the author's approach. In addition, passages in the book such as, "A child's purpose in life is to attend school just as a father's is to go to work and a mother's is to maintain the home.." and, "the current social crises of the integration of the negro into modern society" make it difficult to take this book seriously. The publisher should consider revising the contents of the book and not just the cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Create harmony in the home with useful techniques, March 30 2010
Calvin Martini (NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is certainly showing it's age, but it is in it's dated and sometimes sexist examples rather than in the actual concepts. I actually started reading the book without knowing the publishing date, and I was shocked at how well the concepts have remained true despite the passing of more than 40 years!

My hybrid family has implemented this system with good results. There has been a marked improvement in harmony simply due to the fact that we have stopped sermonizing and have stopped intervening in conflicts between the children. Personal responsibility now plays a greater part in our household. Conflict has been significantly reduced and the general mood of the family is less tense.

This is not a particularly entertaining read - the style conveys the professional physciatric perspective and is dry at times. However, the information was invaluable for me and my family and I heartily recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding results to often difficult challenges, Oct. 27 2013
This book was one used while taking the ESE program at college. Reading it gave me the tools to circumvent any potential problems from bedtime to childrens demands that may be unreasonable. it is a positive, caring and loving but strict practice... try it on your huisband!!! everyone has an option in any situation and Dreikers makes it easy for you to find the most positive solution for your children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound advice through the ages, June 6 2004
By A Customer
Although this book was written in the sixties, the premise and underlying situations are eerily similar to what occurs today. Yes, there are cultural situations noted that we would shudder to think of today (a mother leaving her two small children in a car so she can grocery shop in peace). However, when you take the book and meanings in context, this is a survival guide to parents on how to raise children with respect and keeping your sanity at the same time.
I have tried "Love and Logic", and find Dr. Dreikur's approach to real consequences vs. "punishment" more successful in implementation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second generation to use this book, July 4 2002
Just over 30 years ago, when I was expecting my first child, I did a parenting course here in Melbourne, Australia. The course was based on the original version of this book. My daughter and her younger brother were raised using the principles of "logical consequences" as in the book. This helped us all relate happily together, even during and after the separation and divorce of their father and myself. Now both my children are university educated, happily married adults. Even now, people comment on how delightful my children are and how, as a single parent, I must have been "lucky" to get such good kids. I know that luck had nothing to do with it! Last week I found that my son's wife is expecting my first grand-child. My son asked if I still had "the book". I don't know where it is now, but I am so glad to see that I can get him one from Amazon. I'll order 3; one for my son, one for my daughter and one for a "refresher" course for me. I wouldn't trust anything else!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good practical advice, full approach, June 30 2002
I liked the most of the themes in this book a lot: encourage your child, you can only control yourself, etc. Very very similar to Robert MacKenzie's Setting Limits, which is a little less dated. I wasn't crazy about the "Stay out of Fights" part, for instance. I don't have a problem letting kids settle their own fights, but not when the kids are pummeling each other, which they often will. He doesn't cover that. By the end of this book, I had the feeling the author was a big advocate of ignoring. All in all, I thought it had some good practical advice, it was easy to read and quick to get through so you can put it to use immediately. I think like most of these books, you have to adopt those things you inherently agree with and leave the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace restored to our home, Feb. 26 2002
Paul F. Cronin (Jamaica Plain, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I've only read through Chapter 5, but our nights and weekends have been so much more peaceful since I've started this book. Even though the book is from the seventies, and you do have to adjust for that, it's advice is timeless and very helpful.
It's really helped me not fall for my daughter's subtle manipulations of me as a parent. In learning why she is doing what she is doing, and how much she wants my attention, I have been able to give her the attention she needs in a much more positive way.
The biggest help I got was from Chapter 3 and the discussion on encouragement.
Please get this book if you're having power struggles and drama at home with the kids!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Time Tested Advice, Nov. 30 2001
Derrick (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Although an older book, the advice given still applies to this day. There are many short chapters on varying topics and each chapter is thoroughly illustrated with many examples. The concepts of this book can be readily applied to most families.
It promotes understanding rather than telling parents what to do in all situations.
Some modern books that I found similar in theory are: "How to Talk so your Kids Will Listen and Listen so your Kids Will Talk" and "The Manipulative Child: How to Regain Control and Raise Resilient, Resourceful and Independent Kids".
Some explainations seemed long at times but overall a very interesting and well written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not about discipline, Oct. 11 2001
By A Customer
This book was referred to me by my then 3 year old daughters Montessori teacher during a time I was having difficulties with my daughter. This book teaches how to have a relationship with your child. This, as a result, eliminates the need for "discipline." It doesn't just tell you what not to do, it tells you what to do, how to handle different situations. It uses examples to demonstrate actions (and your reactions). It covers many different issues, such as getting your child out the door in the morning, sibling rivalry, independence, cooperation. It takes a perspective of respect for the child as a person and creating a relationship with the children to gain the behavior you wish. It really helped me move away from my frustration with not having my daughter heed my simple command. Once I enforced "logical consequences" and "disengaged" from power struggles, I gained much more cooperation from my daughter, without taking away her independence or respect for herself. It is a GREAT book. I plan to give it at the next baby shower.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›