5.0 out of 5 stars Very outdated mixed with timeless and sound advise.
My mother in law recommended this book as an essential read when my second child was born so to maintain the peace I bought it.

Published on Feb. 22 2011 by RW Todd

3.0 out of 5 stars some good points but very out of date
Published on Feb. 11 2004 by Leah Mack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very outdated mixed with timeless and sound advise., Feb. 22 2011
This review is from: Children: The Challenge: The Classic Work on Improving Parent-Child Relations--Intelligent, Humane, and Eminently Practical (Paperback)

I read it and the first few pages had me chuckling with the slightly racist and very outdated references making me realize how far we've come as parent when reading some of the scenarios. I can truly say it would never dawn on me to leave my 3 year old in the car to watch my 1 year old while I go grocery shopping, nor would I leave a 8 year old in charge of an infant while I ran out and did errands but the majority of the book is brilliant.

I cherry picked things that I could use in my everyday life and found a significant improvement in my relationship with my children, a significant improvement in their everyday behavior and more harmony in the shared parent aspect with my spouse.

This book can be broken down into three components.

Outdated and useless, antiquated but sound, brilliant and timeless parenting.

An excellent resource tool for every new parent.

3.0 out of 5 stars some good points but very out of date, Feb. 11 2004
Leah Mack (Washington DC United States) - See all my reviews
The author has much of value to say regarding the need to encourage children rather than criticize them, the benefit of avoiding power struggles and the egotistical need to be obeyed, and the increasing democratization of the family. However, his promotion of the dicredited, antiquated, and harmful techniques of schedule feeding infants and leaving them alone to cry betray the great age of this book and the incompleteness of the author's approach. In addition, passages in the book such as, "A child's purpose in life is to attend school just as a father's is to go to work and a mother's is to maintain the home.." and, "the current social crises of the integration of the negro into modern society" make it difficult to take this book seriously. The publisher should consider revising the contents of the book and not just the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not about discipline, Oct. 11 2001
By A Customer
This book was referred to me by my then 3 year old daughters Montessori teacher during a time I was having difficulties with my daughter. This book teaches how to have a relationship with your child. This, as a result, eliminates the need for "discipline." It doesn't just tell you what not to do, it tells you what to do, how to handle different situations. It uses examples to demonstrate actions (and your reactions). It covers many different issues, such as getting your child out the door in the morning, sibling rivalry, independence, cooperation. It takes a perspective of respect for the child as a person and creating a relationship with the children to gain the behavior you wish. It really helped me move away from my frustration with not having my daughter heed my simple command. Once I enforced "logical consequences" and "disengaged" from power struggles, I gained much more cooperation from my daughter, without taking away her independence or respect for herself. It is a GREAT book. I plan to give it at the next baby shower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children: The Challenge, Aug. 1 2001
By A Customer
I am a 47 year old mother of three sons. I was given this book many years ago by a friend and I have recommended it many times. It is a practical, easy to follow concept: Help your children make wise choices and live with the consequences! It eliminates the power struggle between parent (authority) and child (rebellion). You help explain their choices, possible outcomes of those choices, and what you will or will not do in any given situation. For example, "I cannot drive this car with so much shouting. If you continue to shout (argue) I will stop the car". If shouting persists, stop the car and get outside until everything is quiet. A few stops like this and all you need to do is put on the turn signal. They learn that if they choose to argue and make noise in the car, the car will stop. One son decided he did not like his winter coat the first day it was cold enough to wear it. I said, "ok" and didn't push the issue. However, when he arrived at school, he wasn't allowed outside for recess. The next day he took the coat and never complained about it again. BUY THIS BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best child-raising book around!, March 16 2001
By A Customer
When my first daughter was born 28 years ago, I received Dreikurs's book as a gift. I proceeded to apply his lessons, and continued to do so when my second daughter was born four years later. Still now, my daughters love to spend time with me. They say that my firm, yet loving--and most importantly, consistent--parenting gave them a strong base of trust in me. When the three of us get into a car, they are not even conscious of the way they take turns sitting in the front and back. (Residue of my 20-y.old refusal to get involved in their bickering, and that old threat--always real--that I would drive away without them.) They are unaware of the absence of competition between them over my attention; instead, they decide how to split my free time, then present me with their respective plans. (Residue over my removing myself from a situation they might make unpleasant to me, and my demand to deal only with civilized, respectful tone of voice.) And over the years, if a fight between them lingered I would not mention it, but for a day or two give extra doses of kisses and hugs to the aggressive one until she calmed down. Peace would be restore for months or even years.
Over the years I recommended this book to many friends. Once, when my neighbor was having problems with her four kids ranging from 3 to 13, I gave her my copy. She and her husband read it overnight, and in 3 days the family was back on track. The dealing with all siblings as a pack worked miracles for them. The only complaint was from the older ones about how things changed ever since their parents read "that book." But they seemed to function so much better both individually and as a group. Dreikurs's book was the only one I ever needed, and it helped me deal both with small, daily crisis, as well as with overall life's issues. <WordFairy10@aol.com>

4.0 out of 5 stars Create harmony in the home with useful techniques, March 30 2010
Calvin Martini (NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is certainly showing it's age, but it is in it's dated and sometimes sexist examples rather than in the actual concepts. I actually started reading the book without knowing the publishing date, and I was shocked at how well the concepts have remained true despite the passing of more than 40 years!

My hybrid family has implemented this system with good results. There has been a marked improvement in harmony simply due to the fact that we have stopped sermonizing and have stopped intervening in conflicts between the children. Personal responsibility now plays a greater part in our household. Conflict has been significantly reduced and the general mood of the family is less tense.

This is not a particularly entertaining read - the style conveys the professional physciatric perspective and is dry at times. However, the information was invaluable for me and my family and I heartily recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise your kids on this book., Aug. 11 2000
Vickie Smith (Mechanicsburg, PA) - See all my reviews
My son was about 2 1/2 years old when I found "Children the Challenge" in a box of books I bought at auction. I started reading it and realized it put into words things I felt but couldn't articulate. All the things I said I wouldn't do to my children ( and found myself doing because my parents did ) I was able to change almost overnight! I guided 3 preteen step-children from wild uncontrolled children to at least respecting ( becaused they were respected ) and more coopertive members of our family. My son was raised on this book -- succesfully. Today, he is 15 years old, we are very close, he is very loving, and 97% of the time way talk our way through our problems. My mother, though all of this said most of what I was doing wouldn't work, but every 6-12 months she says how pride she is of him and what a good job I'm doing ( we've see her weekly all his life ). I've been a single mother for the last 8 years and I've kept his father very involved in his life ( don't fight-using the kids. READ THE BOOK ! ) This book really is the best. Two years ago my father checked Amazon.com for the book ( I couldn't find copies of it anywhere else, ( lost my original book when I loaned it to a co-worker)), and I ordered two copies, one for me and a friend. I'm going to order more for gifts ! I thank God I found it again. Questions ? E-mail me Chewbacca-wooky@juno.com

5.0 out of 5 stars The basis for so many books that followed, slightly dated, July 3 2000
By A Customer
After having read some of the standard parenting books from the 80s and 90s I was really surprised to see a book first published in 1964 which touches on so many of these important concepts. Jane Nelsen always mentions that her work was inspired by Dreikurs, I think a more precise way to put it would be - copied word for word. Aside from all the important parenting advice I found it interesting to note the anachronisms and dated aspects of the book. Several of the anecdotes suggest options which would probably be illegal today, like leaving a 5yr old in the car while one does the grocery shopping, or leaving a 3yr old home alone because she didn't get ready in time for the evening drive, or playing a slapping game with a 4yr old. Reflecting the time the book was written, he also says things like - everyone in the family has a role - the father's role is to go to work, the mother's role is to be the homemaker, etc., which wouldn't be said today. In almost all the examples of situations that go bad, the child ends up getting spanked, which was probably the case then and is less so today. In spite of a few dated aspects the vast majority of the book is still relevant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second generation to use this book, July 4 2002
Just over 30 years ago, when I was expecting my first child, I did a parenting course here in Melbourne, Australia. The course was based on the original version of this book. My daughter and her younger brother were raised using the principles of "logical consequences" as in the book. This helped us all relate happily together, even during and after the separation and divorce of their father and myself. Now both my children are university educated, happily married adults. Even now, people comment on how delightful my children are and how, as a single parent, I must have been "lucky" to get such good kids. I know that luck had nothing to do with it! Last week I found that my son's wife is expecting my first grand-child. My son asked if I still had "the book". I don't know where it is now, but I am so glad to see that I can get him one from Amazon. I'll order 3; one for my son, one for my daughter and one for a "refresher" course for me. I wouldn't trust anything else!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dealing with children of all ages!, Jan. 10 2001
Mrs. Spumoni (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
When we decided to start trying to have a family, my husband and I bought this book on the recommendation of my father and older brother and his wife. My brother is raising three darling and happy daughters who are delightful to be around. My husband has told me he's going to be able to use some of the things we're reading in this book to improve relations with some people he works with. So it's not just little kids who could benefit from these techniques...
One reader mentioned some of the examples are a little out of date, and that's true. But it isn't hard to figure out the modern equivalent.
My father says this book was his bible when he and my mom were raising me and my siblings. He recommended my brother re-read a chapter or two every week, just to keep the ideas fresh. I know when ever they have a problem, they pull out the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›