5.0 out of 5 stars Sciatica begone!
Published on Dec 1 2001 by Miz Brody

1.0 out of 5 stars Please, do not buy this book if you are not a doctor!
Published on March 6 2002 by John T

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Please, do not buy this book if you are not a doctor!, March 6 2002
After doing the extension (cobra pose) for just 3 times "beyond the pain", I have been on leave of absence since December 2001 (now is March 2002) with a severe and incapacitating back and leg problem. I can't sit, stand or walk longer than 5 minutes. The only painless position is laying on my back. Beginning of December I just had a back and foot pain after walking longer than 1/2 hour, but I could work, have a social life, do some sports. Now I have a severe back problem that no doctor could solve so far! I wish I never bought this book! The McKenzie method may be working in many cases, but please don't buy this book and never do any McKenzie exercises unsupervised or by yourself just using materials or books from your doctor. And NEVER go "beyond the pain". Listen to your body! It is telling you something very important when you experience pain. Go to a specialized institute and follow the McKenzie program under the supervision of a certified and experienced McKenzie person, if you want to.
Even if it causes such a severe back problem only in 5% of the cases, I would still recommend the book only to specialized doctors that have completed the full McKenzie training.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sciatica begone!, Dec 1 2001
Miz Brody (Sarasota, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain (Paperback)
As a 60-year-old very fit lady with a from-birth rotten lower back, I bought this book on the recommendation of a friend who swears by its effectiveness for reducing or even eliminating "sciatica". As one who has taught fitness classes for upwards of 23 years and who knows her own body very well, I was able (not recommended to non-fitness professionals) to "finesse" only TWO of the exercises to reduce my back pain by about 75%! No equipment required, no classes to take, only minutes a day in a chair or in bed or standing up ---- and relief!
This book is wonderful and highly recommended to anyone with back or neck pain. After only one week, my symptoms were easily manageable and considerably lessened. I can now live life without back pain, which often got to the excruciating "can't walk" stage.
The aptly-named book is worth the price to anyone who suffers, however intermittently, with back pain and/or "sciatica". Get it. You won't be sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poorly edited, but helpful, Dec 5 2012
I did find the exercises helpful, and that's the purpose, so I gave it 4 stars. But the writing/editing leaves a lot to be desired - huge amount of repetition leads to extreme boredom while trying to read through.

5.0 out of 5 stars pain free at last, Nov. 13 2001
beckyrotenberry (Alexander, AR USA) - See all my reviews
Thank goodness for these simple exercises that really work. If I do them once a day, I can keep pain free and don't need the chiropractor any more. I have told everyone I know about this book, and no one will try the exercises. I am so grateful that I found the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life, July 1 2001
James M Gibson (Houston, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
I was told by my back Doctor to go to a physical therapist to learn how to do the exercises described in this book. I bought the book, learned how to do the exercises, and two weeks later when I went back to my back Doctor my sciatic nerve pain was almost gone. I probably saved $400 in physical therapy charges by buying this book as well as any charges in the future. What a value.

3.0 out of 5 stars a rehash of his other books..., April 1 2001
while i found McKinzie's other books (treat your own neck, treaty our own back) to be great books, i felt a little duped when i got this book and it turned out to be essentially the same stuff...

5.0 out of 5 stars Words Can't Explain..., March 25 2001
Kevin Cozma (Takamatsu, Kagawa Japan) - See all my reviews
I couldn't put on my own socks. I had a herniated disk from years of weight training, contact sports, and (now that I know better) poor posture. This book is the only thing that helped me. I'm so happy that I found it. I'm sending a copy to my friend tonight, for he has also herniated a disk. I told him over the phone that he shouldn't worry for help is on the way. BUY THIS BOOK!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Gain!....No Pain., Feb. 21 2001
Patient----heal thy self. If it's lower back pain you suffer from, definitely turn to the McKenzie exercises first. But... you're going to have to make a tradeoff: A little time and exercise in exchange for much, much less pain (or none at all). The first 3 exercises all start the same way: face down on your belly, head turned to one side. Progressively, through the first 3 of 7 exercises, you arch your back backwards toward the sky...while allowing your pelvis "to sag" toward earth...Don't forget to breath...and relax...and then repeat. McKenzie works you hard: REPEAT every two hours, at first. A small price for rapid pain relief! Yes, the book's layout is a bit cheesy and the black & white photos are repeated verbatim again and again. Who cares? It's cheaper and more effective than a chiropractor...and you'll know how to heal yourself should your lower back pain fire up again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, and that's the truth., Dec 4 2000
B. Neyer (Chanute, Kansas USA) - See all my reviews
My problems started in March. I had a sharp pain that lasted for two weeks and then a general ache that lasted several weeks. After two chiropractors, I went to a Sports Therapy Clinic, and they help resolve the initial problem using cold/heat, ultra-sound, TENS. By mid May I felt fine, and was back lifting weights, as I am a body builder.
In September the ache returned, and I went back to the clinic. After several weeks of traditional therapy, the Orthpedic doctor prescribed massage therapy. The nurse practitioner immediately noticed I had a posture problem, but after a couple of weeks of therapy, I still had an ache.
I stopped the therapy, and began reading several books on the problem. I purchased this book as a last chance, before exploring the possibility I needed surgery. I got the book on a Wednesday, and began doing the exercises over the following weekend.
Now I had been doing all sorts of exercises for several months to no effect. This book proposed extension as compared to flexation exercises. I write this on a Monday. While I can't say I'm healed, I am significantly better.
If you have lost hope, that you can get better, read this book before having surgery. I now believe that I may not need surgery at all, and may be able to resume my life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed- was a gyp!, Feb. 13 2002
By A Customer
If you've already read his "neck" book and his "back" book, then this is redundant, tho I didn't know that before purchasing it. I am amazed someone as renowned as he would do this. Clearly he was duplicating material so we'd buy it all as Ortho does when it produces the same pesticide and calls it three different names.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›