5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm
Published on Oct. 30 2001 by Matt X Hunter

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm.....
Fairly typical fare for this type of cooking. I'm not sure about the dreck of the other reviews as from my trained perspective there is little here that is that outstanding or not more than available elsewhere. I'm suspect of some of these reviews, but I am happy that she has friends that would contribute these for her.
Published on Jan. 8 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, Oct. 30 2001
Matt X Hunter (Missoula, MT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heavens Banquet (Hardcover)
My partner and I have tried over a dozen recipes in this book and everytime they work like a charm. I feel like a gourmet cook when I use it. It is true the Ayurvedic classifications are not as clear as Morningstar's Ayurvedic cookbook, but I find myself reaching for Miriam's whenever I want to try a new recipe. My partner scoffed at me when I told her this is all the cookbook we'll need. Now she is a believer.
Thank you Miriam.
Update: After communicating with Miriam, I now understand why she avoids classifying meals by dosha. Single food items are easy to classify by dosha, but when they are combined the net result is not easy to classify by dosha. ** She recommends using the eight-pointed guideline on page five to determine what works best for the individual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps me on the Ayurvedic wagon!, Feb. 19 2001
"fionahi" (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heavens Banquet (Hardcover)
Before this book, I'd be a devoted Ayurvedic cook for about one week and then fall off the wagon when I got bored "eating Indian" at every meal. Hospodar's recipies are varied (providing Ayurvedic versions of well-loved dishes from around the world) and their flavours and seasonings diverse (even finding favour with my non-vegetarian husband who claims the Moussaka on p. 96 is the "best dish" I make). Other family faves--scones, paella, squash with wild rice succotash, dal II, chili (be prepared for a taste surprise--it's not your traditional chili, but if I don't call it "chili" I always get compliments on the unique seasonings in this dish). Not only are the recipes simple to make, they're also easy to adapt, allowing even the non-experimental cook like me the joy of substituting ingredients and still having it turn out okay!
Hospodar's introduction to Ayurveda is an adequate first overview, but those interested will learn more about this ancient practice by reading Robert Svoboda or Nancy Lonsdorf's books. I also found a better background on Ayurveda in the first Morningstar cookbook (although her recipes, while delicious, are pretty much all "Indian" in taste).
I recommend this over any other Ayurvedic cookbook--and I've used several over the past 8 years. These recipes allow practitioners of Ayurveda to eat standard fare ("what's available elsewhere") without straying from a path to good health and balance. No need to be suspect of this review: I was introduced to this book at a panchakarma retreat so can't be counted as a friend or relative--just a grateful reader!

4.0 out of 5 stars CCOKIESCOOKIESCOOKIESCOOKIESCOOKIESCOOKIES, April 27 2003
Mr Russell S. Wollman "russwollman" (Fairfield, Iowa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heavens Banquet (Hardcover)
Any cookbook that has a winning recipe for cookies is, at the very least, worth the paper it's printed on...so don't miss the almond crescents on page 433. This, then, is thy commandment: honor thy cookbook and buy not from Nabisco.
The recipe for kitcheri on page 189 is very easy and tasty.
I haven't the time to try the rest of the items in the book and deeply desire that someone comes to cook for me soon. When she does, I'll throw this book at her, all in good fun, of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, but ...., April 9 2001
This review is from: Heavens Banquet (Hardcover)
I seem to be somewhat less enthusiastic about this book than the other readers. It's terrific, of course. But I don't think it's as useful for a beginner as Morningstar's or some of the other ayurvedic cookbooks. It can be challenging to determine what recipes are appropriate for your body type. And, in frankness, Maharishi ayurved can be somewhat stricter in its definitions of balancing and aggravating foods than other forms of ayurveda. That may be a positive, but it places greater burdens on the beginner. Still, this is an inspiring and very beautiful book that I look forward to using for many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great international cookbook, April 20 2009
N. Lafleur "Lafleurdunil" (Gatineau, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven's Banquet: Vegetarian Cooking for Lifelong Health the Ayurveda Way (Paperback)
This cookbook has a wide international diversity and I love it and it is great to have it adopted to ayurvedic cooking. I have prepared some of the dishes and was asked for the recipe. It's a great book to explore.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have vegetarian cookbook!, Oct. 25 2004
By A Customer
This ayurvedic cookbook covers every old and new foods from around the world yet easily available in your city's grocery store or ethnic store. The beautiful quotes all over the book sometimes made me forget that it was not a spiritual book. It teaches about grains and tofu and panir, breads, soups and receipes for busy time-challenged people and for those days that you DO have some time to cook with a focused mind and enough time, etc. If you love to eat and feed your family and yourself a nourishing meal (simple or elaborate),than this is the book to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Praise, Dec 22 2003
This review is from: Heavens Banquet (Hardcover)
An absolutely inspiring and clear, concise book of recipes for abilities ranging from novice to expert that might just change your whole outlook on food preparation. I HIGHLY recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the only cook book that I ever use., Nov. 27 2002
By A Customer
I love this book. I use it every day. It's so complete, and I always find what I'm looking for. I've never had to use another cookbook ever since I bought this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your own ice cream & other desserts!!!!!, Nov. 24 2002
Nilsa Martinez (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Everybody's written how good this book is. I'm gonna rave about the ice cream. That recipe is so good & lends itself to any fruit or ingredient you could possibly put in ice cream. I've made so many different flavors just using that one recipe. & All the other recipes as well. This books helps me to see desserts in a healthy way. To balance out my sweet craving, this book has been indispensable & don't forget to try the halva. Add some chocolate & have people coming over just to sample your home made halva.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb and comprehensive vegetarian cookbook, Nov. 2 2001
By A Customer
I love this cookbook. The recipes are delicious, well-tested and easy to follow. Miriam's style is highly entertaining as well. I'm sure I've never gotten so many laughs out of a cookbook before. She has also included a lot of useful information you won't easily find elsewhere. I especially love the ayurvedic angle. I also love the fact that she doesn't just focus on the food of one culture, so there is a lot of variety.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Heaven's Banquet: Vegetarian Cooking for Lifelong Health the Ayurveda Way
Heaven's Banquet: Vegetarian Cooking for Lifelong Health the Ayurveda Way by Miriam Kasin Hospodar (Paperback - Oct. 4 2001)
CDN$ 29.00 CDN$ 18.18