4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Nutrition Information You Can Still Count On, March 22 2005
Shepherdess Extraordinaire (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eat Fat Lose Fat (Hardcover)
Fallon and Enig are well known for their work with the Weston A. Price Foundation that teaches that the best nutrition is traditional nutrient dense foods including healthy saturated fats. I have appreciated their approach and treat their previous book, Nourishing Traditions, as my nutrition bible. And this new book doesn't disappoint either. Eat Fat, Lose Fat continues with basic and sound nutritional information but with the addition of coconut oil as another healthy saturated fat. I would have given this book a 5 star rating but for the "commercial" bent of the book. Whereas Nourishing Traditions is a no-nonsense trustworthy nutrition book, it seems that Fallon and Enig felt that they had to join the fad diet craze to sell coconut oil's benefits in this book. Instead of simply supplying credible information as in Nourishing Traditions, they take it a step further and develop an actual weight loss diet based on coconut oil. Coconut oil can sell on its own merits without Fallon & Enig having to stoop to the diet craze - including the book's title - to entice fad dieters. Also I am uncomfortable with the carb-fat-protein ratio. I appreciated that in Nourshing Traditions they simply shared about healthy nutrient dense foods and left the ratio up to the individual. I am a little uncomfortable with the high fat ratio of 60% in Eat Fat, Lose Fat. Also being restricted to only three meals a day seems a step backward. However, despite this "marketing" bent, I strongly recommend the book to Weston A. Price Foundation supporters. And to anyone else who is sick of fad diets, as well as, the nutrition dictocrats who cater to the food industry and give lip service to public health. Fallon's & Enig's knowledge of nutrition supported by research doesn't disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat Fat Lose Fat, Oct. 17 2012
This review is from: Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats (Paperback)
Very good scientific explanation of why we should not eat chip vegetable oils, trans fats and processed carbohydrates. You will learn why we need to eat healthy fats to be healthy. You will know why healthy fats are good for your heart. Easy to make traditional recipes. This book would be helpful not only for overweight but also for sick persons. After applying the advice of this book I lost 25 pounds, became creative and energetic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true 5 star book, Jan. 29 2012
Jodi-Hummingbird - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This book deserves all the high ratings it has been given. I've read dozens of books on diet but this one really stood out.

Part of the book was about weight loss but the bigger part was about health, and very useful.

This book is probably the book I would recommend if you could only buy one book containing practical information about what to eat. We need to eat real food!

I can't afford to follow every suggestion (grass fed organic meats only etc.), but I have already made changes to my diet that I know will be benficial to my health. (I'm just going to ignore the bits about eating grains and legumes though as they are not for me.)

The only improvements I would suggest are a simplified list of what to eat and how much roughly of each food type that DOESN'T assume you'll eat nothing but their recipes, and more information on what to do if you are allergic/intolerant of dairy, eggs, wheat and are not eating all grains or legumes for health reasons and because high carb foods such as grains and legumes don't agree with you.

I am going to try some raw milk though, to see if I can tolerate it.

I got this book out from the library and ended up actually buying a copy because the recipes at the back all looked so good and useful. I almost never do that! But it really is just a 'keeper' in my opinion. Ignore the flashy cover and the title this is a solid book about health and diet.

If you'd like more information and facts about some of the theories mentioned in the book I'd recommend as extra reading;

1. Good Calories, Bad Calories (retitled The Diet Delusion in UK/Oz)
2. Deep Nutrition
3. Nutrition and Physical Degeneration

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for Myalgic Encepahlomyelitis (M.E.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!! Such knowledge!, Aug. 26 2013
Renee B (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Yes! The title is scary...just contemplating it for some people might be a huge disconnect. Mary Enig is a specialist in fats. It's her field of study for her PhD, and does it show! There is so much useful information in here that can improve anyone's health. There is so much misinformation out there. Do yourself a favor and read this book. I borrowed it from a friend, read it and then I bought it. It is that mind blowing and I believe wholeheartedly what this book says. There are many people that think margarine is good for you when really it is very damaging! Don't you want to know why? So many of your systems rely on fat, hormones is just one.
This book made me think about my old relatives. I grew up on a farm and let me tell you, when I was a kid eating at great-great aunt's place, delicious food! It was loaded with healthy fats and it was wholesome foods. These people lived to 90 years old and not sick, fully functioning with great memories. This holds more truth in my books than any low fat food craze can possibly contain. That short-circuits your system and has you wasting hours of your life eating every two hours because you get jittery. Try it, you will be amazed.
Also, please note that it's not like everything is supposed to be dripping in fat, a bit goes a long way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, science based book, Aug. 5 2011
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book... but I was pleasantly surprised.

The authors go to great lengths to ensure that most everything that they cite is backed by research, and is properly referenced. This has me really believe what I read (it's one thing to make wide sweeping statements... it's an entirely different thing to back those statements up with real research).

If you are looking to lose weight, look better, or just FEEL better - I encourage you to buy this book. It is money well spent, and time well invested.

You have to be willing to think critically though, because much of what you have learned about nutrition is hogwash. Expect to learn here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent information, Sept. 5 2011
J. Jalbert "Orrilia" (Canada) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of Sally Fallon. This book is very informative and easy to follow. If you value your health, this is the book to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, March 28 2014
enjoyed this book, full of usefull info, have passed on to others your lucky that I am doing this then you ask for more words how stupid

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing info, Aug. 31 2013
Society is being misled. This book makes biological sense. I was blown away by how much this book has changed my lifestyle choices.

Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats by Sally Fallon (Paperback - March 28 2006)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27