5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and important!
Published on July 17 2004 by Beth Pine

2.0 out of 5 stars The cover is the best part of this "B" novel **
I consider myself an avid reader and often make my decisions about purchasing a book based on reader review ratings. Though I did not read the reviews but accepted the **** rating to recommend the purchase of this book. This was a big mistake.

Published on Sept. 25 2011 by Campbell MacLean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and important!, July 17 2004
Beth Pine (Short Hills, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctors Wife (Hardcover)
This page turner is not only exciting and well constructed, it contains some of the most beautifully written passages and descriptions I have ever read. I could not put this book down. The plot and character development are incredibly detailed and interesting. But most importantly the book touches on the rights and freedom of women in this country and, in our current politial climate, Brundage, without preaching to us, makes an impressive attempt to show us how precarious these rights are and easily they can be taken away. Anyone who has a daughter, is a daugher or knows someone's daughter should read this book

2.0 out of 5 stars The cover is the best part of this "B" novel **, Sept. 25 2011
This review is from: The Doctor's Wife (Paperback)

I found the story line disjointed, rambling, and opaque in developing the main characters, none of whom seemed to have any depth. The affair between the doctor's wife, Annie and the painter, Simon, which took up most of the book, read like a formula romance novel. The overly descriptive text had me skipping pages.

The only interesting feature of the book for me was the brief spotlight it cast on the never ending moral issue of abortion. The nameless characters we meet in the clinic had their abrupt life stories left untold. They seemed to me to be more real than Dr. Michael, his wife Annie and her lover artist, Simon.

Although Simon's mentally ill wife Lydia, is certainly over the top, she was the glue that held this novel together. So much so that the title would have been more honest as The Artist's Wife. She is afterall on the cover page in her father's house where presumably the story begins.

My recommendation to anyone interested in this book is to head for the local library and save your money. A. MacLean

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Suspense, Memorable Characters and Compelling Issues, June 26 2004
Bookreporter (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctors Wife (Hardcover)
Perhaps I'm in danger of becoming one of those cynical single urbanites, but whenever I pick up a novel that starts out with a seemingly perfect couple and their seemingly perfect children, living in a seemingly perfect neighborhood, I want to rub my hands together with glee. You just KNOW it's all going downhill from there. But even this cynical urbanite was surprised by the depths to which Elizabeth Brundage will go with her characters. And THE DOCTOR'S WIFE is all the better for it. Note here: if your book club has gotten too genteel lately and is in need of a good cage-rattling, this is just the novel to do it.
THE DOCTOR'S WIFE is set in upstate New York --- civil, picturesque, well-mannered upstate New York --- and centers on Michael and Annie Knowles, the kind of couple that sits around listening to NPR's soothing, well-modulated liberal voices on Sunday mornings while doing the crossword in the Times; the smell of their toasted designer bagels mingling with the scent of their designer coffee, while their perfect children in Gap chic are playing nearby before rushing off to soccer and other mainstays of suburban life. Michael is a young, extremely busy and successful OB/GYN at a prominent hospital; Annie is a Miss Porter's School-educated college professor who teaches creative writing (naturally). But wait --- is that a rat we smell amidst the Starbucks?
Annie is growing bored being "the doctor's wife," particularly since the Good Doctor is never around. It appears that Doc's bell is being rung these days by Celina James, an old flame who appeals to much more than Michael's libido --- she has a good-sized socio-political agenda wrapped up in the shape of her Women's Health Clinic, the town's only provider of abortions. Celina enlists Michael to help her at the Clinic, and soon Michael's already-limited free time from the hospital is being spent at Celina's clinic. There are no sparks between them these days except professional ones, but clearly he prefers the energy of Celina to Annie's world.
Unfortunately for Michael, the guy who IS around for Annie just happens to be Tall, Brooding, Successful-yet-Misunderstood Suffering Artist-turned-Art-Professor Simon Haas. Never mind that Simon himself is married to the beautiful Lydia Haas, his longtime muse, though she has enough skeletons in her closet to populate a Grateful Dead concert. When the Knowles family starts getting all kinds of anonymous threats, it's not clear at first where they're coming from or why --- are they the work of the Right-Wing Extremists running around town protesting Michael's moonlighting gig, or are these more personal in nature?
What evolves is a novel of psychological suspense that is edgy and compelling. Brundage's sense of plot and timing is impeccable, and she really knows how to hook a reader from the very first chapter. The action starts with a kidnapping and it does not let up from there. The story unfolds with many of the twists coming out of the past.
While her characters were multi-faceted, complex and memorable --- particularly the Haas family --- I confess to being ultimately disappointed in the somewhat black-and-white view she took on the abortion issue. The way the characters are depicted, everyone who feels abortion is wrong is not only half-crazy but leans so far to the "Religious Right" that they're in danger of falling over. Still, enough time and devotion are spent developing all of the primary characters to keep this from being overwhelmingly negative. In fact, even the two-dimensional characters provide ample fodder for discussion.
Surprisingly, this is Brundage's first novel and is sure to be a tough act to follow --- although I for one will be looking forward to seeing her try. Full of suspense, memorable characters and thought-provoking issues, I can pretty much guarantee that THE DOCTOR'S WIFE will be making its rounds for a long time to come.
--- Reviewed by Lourdes Orive

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling story!, July 9 2004
Judith C. Oswood (Marshalltown, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctors Wife (Hardcover)
This is a story about marital infidelity and mental psychosis. That sounds pretty heavy for a good book, but it works. The book centers around two married couples: Simon and Lydia Haas and Michael and Annie Knowles. Their lives intertwine in a shocking and fascinating way. The climax of the book was satisfying and exciting. I kind of stumbled upon this book at the library one day and thought I'd try it. I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars page turner, June 26 2004
S. Morris (ALBANY,NY) - See all my reviews
THE BOOK WAS SO GREAT I COULDN'T GET OFF THE COUCH. INTELLIGENT
CHARACTERS. BREAK NECK PACE.
GREAT WRITING AND A MUST READ.
I AM A DOCTOR AND I LOVED IT, THIS BOOK ABOUT A DOCTORS WIFE.
RECOMMEND FOR ALL READERS.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sensitive Book to Savor, June 30 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Doctors Wife (Hardcover)
A recently published review of this book calls it wooden.
I strongly take issue with the critic and wonder if in fact
he/she read it in its entirety, as it is anything but...
I consider myself a serious reader, preferring to read for
language rather than content. I found this book to be
extremely well crafted, tightly edited, with a strong involving
plot line, nuanced character development, and an imaginative structure
that is neither confusing nor obtuse.
The lovely, occasionally harsh, readily poignant use of language,
informs the complexities of the characters
making them not so dark as much as human,
drenching them in a full range of sincere humanity and all its
foibles.
Whether on the beach this summer or sitting reflectively
with a pencil underscoring the delicious use of language,
I heartily recommend The Doctor's Wife.
This is an extremely impressive debut novel which
I intend to savor with a second read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Doctor's Wife, March 1 2014
This review is from: The Doctor's Wife (Paperback)
If you love, suspense, mystery, and tretchery this is the book for you. It is a page turner all the way through. A bit difficult to understand at the biginning but soon enough you catch on if you concentrate enough. Truely a good book. I recommend it to the die hard suspense, murder, mystery fans out there. Good writing from the author. Have ordered some of her other books. Can't wait to find out if they are just as suspenseful and mysterious. Definitely recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary thriller, July 9 2013
This review is from: The Doctor's Wife (Paperback)
This novel is a good read. It is a real mystery, and the story unfolds as it should. Gives the reader a real insight into the dangers faced by doctors who perform abortions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, May 31 2013
This review is from: The Doctor's Wife (Paperback)
Loved every minute of this book. Not a difficult read, however this is a dark, suspenseful page turner. A wonderfully unexpected surprise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dark, March 27 2013
This review is from: The Doctor's Wife (Paperback)
This was an extremely dark read. I didn't enjoy it and about halfway through stopped reading. I had no desire to continue. It's a DNF for me. I might go back to it at some point as I hate leaving books not fully read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Doctor's Wife
The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage (Paperback - Nov. 29 2005)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.32