Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store Tools SGG

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on September 25, 2011
I consider myself an avid reader and often make my decisions about purchasing a book based on reader review ratings. Though I did not read the reviews but accepted the **** rating to recommend the purchase of this book. This was a big mistake.

I found the story line disjointed, rambling, and opaque in developing the main characters, none of whom seemed to have any depth. The affair between the doctor's wife, Annie and the painter, Simon, which took up most of the book, read like a formula romance novel. The overly descriptive text had me skipping pages.

The only interesting feature of the book for me was the brief spotlight it cast on the never ending moral issue of abortion. The nameless characters we meet in the clinic had their abrupt life stories left untold. They seemed to me to be more real than Dr. Michael, his wife Annie and her lover artist, Simon.

Although Simon's mentally ill wife Lydia, is certainly over the top, she was the glue that held this novel together. So much so that the title would have been more honest as The Artist's Wife. She is afterall on the cover page in her father's house where presumably the story begins.

My recommendation to anyone interested in this book is to head for the local library and save your money. A. MacLean
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse