boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Auto Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.25+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on February 24, 2006
John Perkins' Confessions of an Economic Hit Man was recommended by a reviewer I trust in a major Canadian newspaper. While the reviewer had some reservations about the style and writing, he still said it was an important read offering insight into the politics of the world. Alas, I was disappointed. The book holds a lot of promise but fails to deliver. There's nothing "gripping" or "astonishing" about this book.
For example, I was interested in finding out how Perkins worked his magic in Panama, Venezuela, Iraq and Ecuador but he didn't deliver any insight as to how he personally sabotaged a country economically. Who did you meet? Who did you pay off? How effective were you? Who in the current administration is running these operations? Questions like these were not answered to my satisfaction. I understood his ethical and moral dilemmas while working for MAIN, but I had trouble sympathizing because he never told me what he did and how many people he hurt etc. And while I commend Perkins for "confessing" I don't feel obligated to "forgive" him. I think he knows a lot more than he's telling us in this book.
The only good thing about the book is the list of notes and references. I suspect the real story can be understood better by going to those sources.
on April 29, 2012
This was one of the most disappointing books that I have ever purchased on Amazon.

If you are looking an objective study on corporate operations and capitalism in general, run don't walk, from this book. This is simply a cynical cash grab in the anti-capitalism market. This is a pure drive-by smear campaign from a man with an axe to grind. It is pure marketing.

This is not a serious work. It's a rant.

This book is only for individuals who are looking for reasons to keep their narrow-minds narrow. A kindergarden level expose on what should have been a great topic. Shark sandwich.
on October 7, 2005
Slightly politically left of Karl Marx, the author explains in a breathless stage whisper how he falsified projections for electricity consumption and trash removal, got rich, got out, and got sanctimonious. This book will appeal to America-bashers, the anti-globalisation movement, and Champagne socialists, but will leave the rest of the spectrum wondering what he's fussing about. As Lincoln said "those who like this sort of book will find that this is the sort of book they like".