5.0 out of 5 stars A very clear articulation of the awakening process
Published on Dec 15 2008 by Luke Vorstermans

3.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended to me
My friend recommended this to me because he liked it and it helped him through an event in his life. I read it cover to cover to be polite. This probably is a good read for someone who is seeking answers or validation, but I wish I had spent my money on something written by Louise Erdrich
Published 6 months ago by Marcelle Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars A very clear articulation of the awakening process, Dec 15 2008
Luke Vorstermans (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61) (Paperback)
I've read Tolle's The Power of Now and I found A New Earth a delightful companion. If you're reading just 'another spiritual book' than it will be just 'another spiritual book' that you can argue(!) over. Is it better than his first? Does he repeat himself? Is Tolle saying anything new? Etc. Etc. But there's so much listening between the words... it's a wonderful meditation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The map is not the territory, Feb. 20 2009
In "A New Earth" Mr. Tolle exhorts us to transcend our ego based state of consciousness - our attachment to old conditioned mind patterns. We can be happy and end the suffering and conflict in the world only by experiencing our essential self, which is prior to thought.

According to Tolle the inner body is the bridge between form (our mental conditioning) and the formless (our essential self). Inner body awareness is the doorway out of the prison that is the ego.

Our body has its own intelligence and that intelligence reacts to our thoughts. The body reacts to what the voice in our head is saying. Our "story" consists not only of mental but also of emotional memory. In fact, the voice of the ego is continually disrupting the body's natural state of wellbeing.

Every negative emotion we have leaves behind a physical remnant of pain. Tolle calls the old emotional pain we carry around the "pain body." Our negative thoughts live on in the body. The good news is that we can dissolve the pain body by bringing the light of presence to it. Only presence can dissolve the unconscious past in us.

Through acceptance and observation, spirit is freed from its imprisonment in form. Being aware of our breathing is also powerfully transformative.

I think this is excellent information and I love all of Tolle's books. In my opinion though there is a meditation course where you can actually put the material in "A New Earth" to the test experientially--breathing and dissolving the pain-body. If you are interested, check out the "Art Of Meditation" by William Hart. This book is also available from amazon.ca.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Not Easy, May 27 2008
This book really speaks to me. My mind is so busy that sometimes I absentmindedly arrive at a place and then ask myself what I wanted to do here. Within a few moments my mind goes through a number of different thoughts forgetting about the reason that directed me to a certain place. And this is why this book is so helpful. Eckhart Tolle provides simple solution to people like me. The solution is simple but in no way it is easy! The solution is getting rid of the noise in the head and focusing on the present moment and the one single activity that you are undertaking in this moment.

In a way this book is -- to a certain degree -- a rehash of the author's previous work titled "The Power of Now." However, if you have already read The Power of Now I still suggest getting "A New Earth" as there is still a great amount of new material. In a way in both books Tolle deals with the same subject matter, but in my opinion he is doing a much better job explaining the subject in this book. The author's soft-spoken manner permeates the whole work and makes it an easy and relaxed reading.

A big part of the book is devoted to identifying the many faces of (and dealing with) the "EGO" ("the voice in the head that pretends to be you") which is the culprit of our mental suffering that author calls "The Pain-Body" ("the emotions that are the body's reaction to what the voice in the head is saying"). Tolle suggests ways for breaking free of the Pain-Body and finding who you really are.

Unhappiness and negativity are everywhere around us. Surprisingly they are felt more deeply in the affluent western world, as we are more deeply identified with forms and trapped in our egos. The joy of being, the only true happiness, cannot come to us from anywhere, we can only experience it from the formless dimension within us after we allow the diminishment of the ego.

This book is not to be read like a novel. I suggest reading it slowly - just a few pages at a time, and practicing the author's suggestions. In the realm of spirituality no-one of us will probably have the same experience, but I dare say that the deeper you get into it the more powerful the experience will be. The secret is getting to the awareness outside of thinking, to the awareness of true being. Get the book and try it out. It might also speak to you.

Other recommended readings:
The Power of Now
The Secret
Can We Live 150 Years?

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Awakening, April 14 2008
John Herman (Saskatoon, Sask. Canada) - See all my reviews
For those looking at the reviews, it must be a little confusing to see so many 5 star ratings then lower scores. This book goes so deeply into our personal make up: how we define ourselves if someone should ask "who are you", dealing with children, and your own demons so to speak. Who we are is what this book is all about. To me, I can't see everyone not getting a benefit from this book. It isn't religion, it doesn't request any change to a new following, nor any changes to ones beliefs. But boy does it open a door to ourselves, dealing with others, and recognizing things that have never been addressed about our thoughts and how we are being held back in total mind confussion.

For those deeply troubled with life problems and dispair, I don't think you will ever find a better book to help you in understanding why these things get you down and how to solve them. The book is so simple to read and everything is so well explained that you will get immediate results.

If you buy this book and go to oprah winfrey.com, you will find each chapter being reviewed each week and she has saved the broadcasts so everyone can listen to the author Eckhart Tolle explain what each chapter means and how to get peace of mind in less then 30 seconds. That's right, 30 seconds or less which helps all of us deal with any problem from child raising, drug problems, just wanting to improve your life, dealings with the negatives in us and around us. On a telecast of Oprah Winfrey's show, she spoke to a lady with terminal cancer and how this book changed her life!! That's power.

This book is the best $13.00 I have ever spent! I think all of us who just want a better life in general will benefit from this book. If you don't, you just aren't ready as Mr. Tolle says in first chapter. Buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Purpose: Awaken, July 20 2010
L. Gillespie "lance135" (Canada) - See all my reviews
A New Earth is the second major work by Eckhart Tolle.

I believe he refined and focused his message in this second book. While The Power of Now lays the foundation for his teaching, I believe that anyone interested in spiritual awakening could dive right into A New Earth and not feel that they are missing anything. I also highly recommend viewing (for free) the series of web casts at [...] that discuss each chapter in depth with questions and answers from readers around the world.

He also delves quite deeply into the Ego, its true nature, how to recognize when we are operating through our ego, and how to use our awareness to diminish the ego. I have found that I can now clearly see when my ego is at work, though I'm sure it has some surprises in store for me (the ego is nothing if not clever). You may find it shocking how often you find your ego triggering emotions and responses, unless you are already extremely enlightened (then, good for you!).

He also explains in greater detail the "Pain-body". This is the part of the ego that physically manifests itself as negative emotions and emotional pain.

He then goes into what he believes is our true nature. He believes our true nature cannot be explained through words as it is beyond the comprehension of our minds - words can only be sign posts that point us toward this awareness. Discovering this awareness is the key to finding inner peace and being able to fully accept and enjoy our short stay in this form.

The final message talks about the future of our planet and what it will take for us to either evolve to a higher consciousness, or be weeded out of existence. Because man now has the ability to destroy this planet, we have come to a crossroads.

The message is clear: the Ego must die, not by fighting it, but by allowing our inner light to shine through. I find that laughing at my own ego is most helpful.

Most of us are in a dream and don't know we're dreaming. The first and perhaps the most important step is to realize we are dreaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to power of now., July 5 2009
Derek Scott "Del WhiteWizard" (West Coast, Canada) - See all my reviews
A new earth is a great companion book to Power of Now, he pretty much coveys the same message and it can get a little old if your somewhat spiritually awakened but for someone new on the path another recommended read to lead you down the rite road, you won't achieve enlightenment but it will give you a better understand of who you are or better yet who you aren't. I think he's a bit precocious in some of his statements about people creating a new universe, nonetheless it's positive thinking and I share in his excitement about the potential change when humans are able to wake up to there full potential and find out who they really are.

May all beings be happy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, June 11 2009
Lyn Merryfeather (Victoria BC) - See all my reviews
I would (and have) recommended this book to all my friends and family. It is a life-changer. It really shows that all our problems can be boiled down to one thing: ego, and if we can get a handle on our ego we can live a much happier life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A world of adventure in simple awareness, March 7 2009
Brian Griffith (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I found almost every line of this book clear and compelling. And somewhere in the middle, I realized that my whole approach to focusing on the present moment has been self-protective. I was trying to shut out everything that stresses me out, for at least a moment. But Tolle is talking about paying attention to whatever comes up, including all the voices of pain and panic that have owned me. His patient observations helped me notice what an adventure each moment of awareness can be.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Power of "New!", June 23 2006
When I was 14 years old, I had what is called a "spontaneous mystical experience," which put me in direct contact with the core of my being. I have never forgotten that experience, and what it taught me about who I truly am--that "my identity," as Tolle writes, "is not the content of my mind, but the awareness in the background."

In The Power of Now, Tolle did a good job of explaining that. But in his new book, A New Earth, I believe he does an extraordinary job of explaining the difference between pure consciousness and thought. No other book I have read explains "the ego" in such eloquent detail . . . describing what it is, how it functions, and how it inteferes with our happiness and fulfillment. Thank you, Eckhart, for this truly enlightening read.

Steven Lane Taylor, author of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat: A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow."

5.0 out of 5 stars a book that will change your life, Dec 3 2009
M. Schwehr (Northern Ontario) - See all my reviews
If you are ready for an awakening, this book is it. I pick this book up and re-read chapters because it is such a powerful collection of "words". Eckhart Tolle has changed the way I see the world and myself. A must read for anyone who feels there is something more powerful than what you can "see"

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.55