5.0 out of 5 stars The map is not the territory
In "A New Earth" Mr. Tolle exhorts us to transcend our ego based state of consciousness - our attachment to old conditioned mind patterns. We can be happy and end the suffering and conflict in the world only by experiencing our essential self, which is prior to thought.

Published on Feb. 20 2009 by Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended to me
My friend recommended this to me because he liked it and it helped him through an event in his life. I read it cover to cover to be polite. This probably is a good read for someone who is seeking answers or validation, but I wish I had spent my money on something written by Louise Erdrich
Published 3 months ago by Marcelle Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars The map is not the territory, Feb. 20 2009
This review is from: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61) (Paperback)

According to Tolle the inner body is the bridge between form (our mental conditioning) and the formless (our essential self). Inner body awareness is the doorway out of the prison that is the ego.

Our body has its own intelligence and that intelligence reacts to our thoughts. The body reacts to what the voice in our head is saying. Our "story" consists not only of mental but also of emotional memory. In fact, the voice of the ego is continually disrupting the body's natural state of wellbeing.

Every negative emotion we have leaves behind a physical remnant of pain. Tolle calls the old emotional pain we carry around the "pain body." Our negative thoughts live on in the body. The good news is that we can dissolve the pain body by bringing the light of presence to it. Only presence can dissolve the unconscious past in us.

Through acceptance and observation, spirit is freed from its imprisonment in form. Being aware of our breathing is also powerfully transformative.

I think this is excellent information and I love all of Tolle's books. In my opinion though there is a meditation course where you can actually put the material in "A New Earth" to the test experientially--breathing and dissolving the pain-body. If you are interested, check out the "Art Of Meditation" by William Hart. This book is also available from amazon.ca.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Not Easy, May 27 2008
This book really speaks to me. My mind is so busy that sometimes I absentmindedly arrive at a place and then ask myself what I wanted to do here. Within a few moments my mind goes through a number of different thoughts forgetting about the reason that directed me to a certain place. And this is why this book is so helpful. Eckhart Tolle provides simple solution to people like me. The solution is simple but in no way it is easy! The solution is getting rid of the noise in the head and focusing on the present moment and the one single activity that you are undertaking in this moment.

In a way this book is -- to a certain degree -- a rehash of the author's previous work titled "The Power of Now." However, if you have already read The Power of Now I still suggest getting "A New Earth" as there is still a great amount of new material. In a way in both books Tolle deals with the same subject matter, but in my opinion he is doing a much better job explaining the subject in this book. The author's soft-spoken manner permeates the whole work and makes it an easy and relaxed reading.

A big part of the book is devoted to identifying the many faces of (and dealing with) the "EGO" ("the voice in the head that pretends to be you") which is the culprit of our mental suffering that author calls "The Pain-Body" ("the emotions that are the body's reaction to what the voice in the head is saying"). Tolle suggests ways for breaking free of the Pain-Body and finding who you really are.

Unhappiness and negativity are everywhere around us. Surprisingly they are felt more deeply in the affluent western world, as we are more deeply identified with forms and trapped in our egos. The joy of being, the only true happiness, cannot come to us from anywhere, we can only experience it from the formless dimension within us after we allow the diminishment of the ego.

This book is not to be read like a novel. I suggest reading it slowly - just a few pages at a time, and practicing the author's suggestions. In the realm of spirituality no-one of us will probably have the same experience, but I dare say that the deeper you get into it the more powerful the experience will be. The secret is getting to the awareness outside of thinking, to the awareness of true being. Get the book and try it out. It might also speak to you.

Other recommended readings:
The Power of Now
The Secret
Can We Live 150 Years?

5.0 out of 5 stars A very clear articulation of the awakening process, Dec 15 2008
Luke Vorstermans (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
I've read Tolle's The Power of Now and I found A New Earth a delightful companion. If you're reading just 'another spiritual book' than it will be just 'another spiritual book' that you can argue(!) over. Is it better than his first? Does he repeat himself? Is Tolle saying anything new? Etc. Etc. But there's so much listening between the words... it's a wonderful meditation.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, June 11 2009
Lyn Merryfeather (Victoria BC) - See all my reviews
I would (and have) recommended this book to all my friends and family. It is a life-changer. It really shows that all our problems can be boiled down to one thing: ego, and if we can get a handle on our ego we can live a much happier life.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Power of "New!", June 23 2006
When I was 14 years old, I had what is called a "spontaneous mystical experience," which put me in direct contact with the core of my being. I have never forgotten that experience, and what it taught me about who I truly am--that "my identity," as Tolle writes, "is not the content of my mind, but the awareness in the background."

In The Power of Now, Tolle did a good job of explaining that. But in his new book, A New Earth, I believe he does an extraordinary job of explaining the difference between pure consciousness and thought. No other book I have read explains "the ego" in such eloquent detail . . . describing what it is, how it functions, and how it inteferes with our happiness and fulfillment. Thank you, Eckhart, for this truly enlightening read.

Steven Lane Taylor, author of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat: A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow."

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Awakening, May 28 2006
I. Myers - See all my reviews
This is an incredible Book. Mr. Tolle has been given the gift of "Acceptance & Awareness", & inturn he shares the ability to find it in ourselves. Reading & undersatnding this book (in my opinion) is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself. You won't want to put it down.

Ian, NWT, Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Most impactful book of my life, Aug. 31 2014
I first read A New Earth in 2010 (4 years ago) and since then it has easily been the most impactful source of information I have ever received. It has transformed my life and helped me become a more peaceful person. The change has been very slow and gradual so don't except overnight success. You have to work through your inner demons, but rest assured, it is possible.

I have referred to this book every week for the past 4 years and will continue to do so for the rest of my life probably. The book is comprised of many short sections of about 3 pages in length. Each section addresses something quite specific. So it's very easy to go back and find the section you need to help you deal with whatever challenge you are facing in the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book for those that want to delve deep into ..., Sept. 4 2014
This is a great book for those that want to delve deep into what is behind human behavior including their own. If you are ready for it you will absolutely love the book. If you aren't, you may not like it but just put it aside and get back to it a year or few years later and you may be ready then. Enjoying the book may be helped by having an open mind and using attentive observation of everything including your own mind. If you are immersed in your own opinions and beliefs and aren't willing to have a look at them closely, if you aren't willing to question everything then you may not want to read this book. But if you aren't afraid of testing and looking at everything afresh I'd say go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Purpose: Awaken, July 20 2010
L. Gillespie "lance135" (Canada) - See all my reviews
A New Earth is the second major work by Eckhart Tolle.

I believe he refined and focused his message in this second book. While The Power of Now lays the foundation for his teaching, I believe that anyone interested in spiritual awakening could dive right into A New Earth and not feel that they are missing anything. I also highly recommend viewing (for free) the series of web casts at [...] that discuss each chapter in depth with questions and answers from readers around the world.

He also delves quite deeply into the Ego, its true nature, how to recognize when we are operating through our ego, and how to use our awareness to diminish the ego. I have found that I can now clearly see when my ego is at work, though I'm sure it has some surprises in store for me (the ego is nothing if not clever). You may find it shocking how often you find your ego triggering emotions and responses, unless you are already extremely enlightened (then, good for you!).

He also explains in greater detail the "Pain-body". This is the part of the ego that physically manifests itself as negative emotions and emotional pain.

He then goes into what he believes is our true nature. He believes our true nature cannot be explained through words as it is beyond the comprehension of our minds - words can only be sign posts that point us toward this awareness. Discovering this awareness is the key to finding inner peace and being able to fully accept and enjoy our short stay in this form.

The final message talks about the future of our planet and what it will take for us to either evolve to a higher consciousness, or be weeded out of existence. Because man now has the ability to destroy this planet, we have come to a crossroads.

The message is clear: the Ego must die, not by fighting it, but by allowing our inner light to shine through. I find that laughing at my own ego is most helpful.

Most of us are in a dream and don't know we're dreaming. The first and perhaps the most important step is to realize we are dreaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to power of now., July 5 2009
Derek Scott "Del WhiteWizard" (West Coast, Canada) - See all my reviews
A new earth is a great companion book to Power of Now, he pretty much coveys the same message and it can get a little old if your somewhat spiritually awakened but for someone new on the path another recommended read to lead you down the rite road, you won't achieve enlightenment but it will give you a better understand of who you are or better yet who you aren't. I think he's a bit precocious in some of his statements about people creating a new universe, nonetheless it's positive thinking and I share in his excitement about the potential change when humans are able to wake up to there full potential and find out who they really are.

May all beings be happy :)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.32