5.0 out of 5 stars A very clear articulation of the awakening process
Published on Dec 15 2008 by Luke Vorstermans

3.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended to me
My friend recommended this to me because he liked it and it helped him through an event in his life. I read it cover to cover to be polite. This probably is a good read for someone who is seeking answers or validation, but I wish I had spent my money on something written by Louise Erdrich
Published 1 month ago by Marcelle Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars A very clear articulation of the awakening process, Dec 15 2008
Luke Vorstermans (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61) (Paperback)
I've read Tolle's The Power of Now and I found A New Earth a delightful companion. If you're reading just 'another spiritual book' than it will be just 'another spiritual book' that you can argue(!) over. Is it better than his first? Does he repeat himself? Is Tolle saying anything new? Etc. Etc. But there's so much listening between the words... it's a wonderful meditation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Not Easy, May 27 2008
This book really speaks to me. My mind is so busy that sometimes I absentmindedly arrive at a place and then ask myself what I wanted to do here. Within a few moments my mind goes through a number of different thoughts forgetting about the reason that directed me to a certain place. And this is why this book is so helpful. Eckhart Tolle provides simple solution to people like me. The solution is simple but in no way it is easy! The solution is getting rid of the noise in the head and focusing on the present moment and the one single activity that you are undertaking in this moment.

In a way this book is -- to a certain degree -- a rehash of the author's previous work titled "The Power of Now." However, if you have already read The Power of Now I still suggest getting "A New Earth" as there is still a great amount of new material. In a way in both books Tolle deals with the same subject matter, but in my opinion he is doing a much better job explaining the subject in this book. The author's soft-spoken manner permeates the whole work and makes it an easy and relaxed reading.

A big part of the book is devoted to identifying the many faces of (and dealing with) the "EGO" ("the voice in the head that pretends to be you") which is the culprit of our mental suffering that author calls "The Pain-Body" ("the emotions that are the body's reaction to what the voice in the head is saying"). Tolle suggests ways for breaking free of the Pain-Body and finding who you really are.

Unhappiness and negativity are everywhere around us. Surprisingly they are felt more deeply in the affluent western world, as we are more deeply identified with forms and trapped in our egos. The joy of being, the only true happiness, cannot come to us from anywhere, we can only experience it from the formless dimension within us after we allow the diminishment of the ego.

This book is not to be read like a novel. I suggest reading it slowly - just a few pages at a time, and practicing the author's suggestions. In the realm of spirituality no-one of us will probably have the same experience, but I dare say that the deeper you get into it the more powerful the experience will be. The secret is getting to the awareness outside of thinking, to the awareness of true being. Get the book and try it out. It might also speak to you.

Other recommended readings:
The Power of Now
The Secret
Can We Live 150 Years?

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, June 11 2009
Lyn Merryfeather (Victoria BC) - See all my reviews
I would (and have) recommended this book to all my friends and family. It is a life-changer. It really shows that all our problems can be boiled down to one thing: ego, and if we can get a handle on our ego we can live a much happier life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The map is not the territory, Feb. 20 2009
In "A New Earth" Mr. Tolle exhorts us to transcend our ego based state of consciousness - our attachment to old conditioned mind patterns. We can be happy and end the suffering and conflict in the world only by experiencing our essential self, which is prior to thought.

According to Tolle the inner body is the bridge between form (our mental conditioning) and the formless (our essential self). Inner body awareness is the doorway out of the prison that is the ego.

Our body has its own intelligence and that intelligence reacts to our thoughts. The body reacts to what the voice in our head is saying. Our "story" consists not only of mental but also of emotional memory. In fact, the voice of the ego is continually disrupting the body's natural state of wellbeing.

Every negative emotion we have leaves behind a physical remnant of pain. Tolle calls the old emotional pain we carry around the "pain body." Our negative thoughts live on in the body. The good news is that we can dissolve the pain body by bringing the light of presence to it. Only presence can dissolve the unconscious past in us.

Through acceptance and observation, spirit is freed from its imprisonment in form. Being aware of our breathing is also powerfully transformative.

I think this is excellent information and I love all of Tolle's books. In my opinion though there is a meditation course where you can actually put the material in "A New Earth" to the test experientially--breathing and dissolving the pain-body. If you are interested, check out the "Art Of Meditation" by William Hart. This book is also available from amazon.ca.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Power of "New!", June 23 2006
When I was 14 years old, I had what is called a "spontaneous mystical experience," which put me in direct contact with the core of my being. I have never forgotten that experience, and what it taught me about who I truly am--that "my identity," as Tolle writes, "is not the content of my mind, but the awareness in the background."

In The Power of Now, Tolle did a good job of explaining that. But in his new book, A New Earth, I believe he does an extraordinary job of explaining the difference between pure consciousness and thought. No other book I have read explains "the ego" in such eloquent detail . . . describing what it is, how it functions, and how it inteferes with our happiness and fulfillment. Thank you, Eckhart, for this truly enlightening read.

Steven Lane Taylor, author of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat: A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow."

5.0 out of 5 stars One Purpose: Awaken, July 20 2010
L. Gillespie "lance135" (Canada) - See all my reviews
A New Earth is the second major work by Eckhart Tolle.

I believe he refined and focused his message in this second book. While The Power of Now lays the foundation for his teaching, I believe that anyone interested in spiritual awakening could dive right into A New Earth and not feel that they are missing anything. I also highly recommend viewing (for free) the series of web casts at [...] that discuss each chapter in depth with questions and answers from readers around the world.

He also delves quite deeply into the Ego, its true nature, how to recognize when we are operating through our ego, and how to use our awareness to diminish the ego. I have found that I can now clearly see when my ego is at work, though I'm sure it has some surprises in store for me (the ego is nothing if not clever). You may find it shocking how often you find your ego triggering emotions and responses, unless you are already extremely enlightened (then, good for you!).

He also explains in greater detail the "Pain-body". This is the part of the ego that physically manifests itself as negative emotions and emotional pain.

He then goes into what he believes is our true nature. He believes our true nature cannot be explained through words as it is beyond the comprehension of our minds - words can only be sign posts that point us toward this awareness. Discovering this awareness is the key to finding inner peace and being able to fully accept and enjoy our short stay in this form.

The final message talks about the future of our planet and what it will take for us to either evolve to a higher consciousness, or be weeded out of existence. Because man now has the ability to destroy this planet, we have come to a crossroads.

The message is clear: the Ego must die, not by fighting it, but by allowing our inner light to shine through. I find that laughing at my own ego is most helpful.

Most of us are in a dream and don't know we're dreaming. The first and perhaps the most important step is to realize we are dreaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to power of now., July 5 2009
Derek Scott "Del WhiteWizard" (West Coast, Canada) - See all my reviews
A new earth is a great companion book to Power of Now, he pretty much coveys the same message and it can get a little old if your somewhat spiritually awakened but for someone new on the path another recommended read to lead you down the rite road, you won't achieve enlightenment but it will give you a better understand of who you are or better yet who you aren't. I think he's a bit precocious in some of his statements about people creating a new universe, nonetheless it's positive thinking and I share in his excitement about the potential change when humans are able to wake up to there full potential and find out who they really are.

May all beings be happy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A world of adventure in simple awareness, March 7 2009
Brian Griffith (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I found almost every line of this book clear and compelling. And somewhere in the middle, I realized that my whole approach to focusing on the present moment has been self-protective. I was trying to shut out everything that stresses me out, for at least a moment. But Tolle is talking about paying attention to whatever comes up, including all the voices of pain and panic that have owned me. His patient observations helped me notice what an adventure each moment of awareness can be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's Path to Enlightenment, Feb. 6 2010
Mary Wozny "Author, Speaker, Health & Wellnes... (Collingwood, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have to be very honest here. I like this book because it is a very simple read and may communicate more easily with the general public but personally I find it very basic. I suspect its popularity came about due to the media coverage and the Oprah Winfrey show. I believe that if one is looking for a profoundly informative and in depth understanding of how to achieve consciousness and awareness, the book The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is the better book to read. It is deep and requires great thought from the individual, but change and growth come from going deep within oneself and listening, recognizing ones default settings as they say and changing old belief systems.

Mary Wozny

5.0 out of 5 stars Now is the Time for Peace--Within and Without, Jan. 31 2008
"Ego is a conglomeration of recurring thought forms and conditioned mental-emotional patterns that are invested with a sense of I, a sense of self. Ego arises when your sense of Beingness, of 'I Am', which is formless consciousness, gets mixed up with form. This is the meaning of identification. This is a forgetfulness of Being, the primary error, the illusion of absolute separateness that turns reality into a nightmare." -- From the book

I have several books, decks and audios by Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now, Through the Open Door to the Vastness of Your True Being, Stillness Speaks Inspiration Deck, Power of Now Inspiration Cards, and others), but A New Earth is by far the most illuminating, accessible and uplifting.

For those unfamiliar with Eckhart Tolle, this man experienced a profound instantaneous inner transformation at age 29. Born in Germany and schooled in England, he integrated and deepened his experience with an intense inward journey. Tolle then began teaching small groups as a spiritual counselor. In 1995, he moved to Canada and is now considered one of the most influential spiritual thinkers of our time, largely in part to his books The Power of Now and A New Earth.

In A New Earth: Awakening Your Life's Purpose, this gentle teacher traces human suffering to one simple, yet insidious, root: the ego. While many authors and philosophers throw around the word "ego", Tolle actually exposes what the ego IS--and why it causes us so much trouble.

While 17th century philospher Rene Descartes may be considered the "father of philosophy", his famous dictum "I think, therefore I am" mechanized humans into "thinking machines" that can reason their way through any problem--and to "ultimate truth". Cartesian philosophy (named for Descartes) has permeated our culture for centuries and can be best summed up with "I think--that is my identity--and therefore, my thinking is my Being". According to Tolle, Descartes discovered the root of EGO, not Beingness.

However, Tolle echoes another philosopher who came a few hundred years Descartes, Jean Paul Sartre saying: (my paraphrase) Wait a minute. If we become AWARE that we are thinking...then what is that part that is observing...that can make that assessment? If thinking equals Being, then we wouldn't realize we're "thinking' in the first place! We'd be like a dreamer "who doesn't know he is dreaming".

Tolle asserts that this awareness outside of thinking is our TRUE Being, the part that is "I Am"--a dimension of consciousness that, unfortunately, is often discovered at the point of tragic loss or hitting a "limit-situation". It's an inexplicable peace that descends, a sacred sense of Presence. Could this be the "peace that passes all understanding" that St. Paul talked about in the New Testament?

The reason it takes a "tragedy" for some to wake up is because a disidentification from form has occurred. In other words, let's say a person experiences a house fire and loses everything--but ends up experiencing a sense of peace...a feeling "It's OK, and it will be OK". Or what about those who experience illness, death of a loved one, disfigurement, or debilitation? When these ones experience an all-pervasive Presence, a "Being prior to all forms, all identifications", an individual, through direct experience (not thought), realizes 'Wait a minute...I am NOT my thoughts...(or possessions)'.

So what does this mean to you, dear reader? Well, if you are not your thoughts--then who ARE you? Why is it that some people become bitter or resentful after tragedy...but others become wise, compassionate and loving? How many unexamined thoughts do you have bouncing through your head--thoughts that have been handed down to you through parents, religion and the media that influence every move you make? What if THOUGHTS, and their resulting emotions, are the source of your suffering?

What if the true "you" is not your body? Not your bank account? Not your title? Not your actions, reputation or accomplishments? Then, who ARE you?

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose will introduce you to the "you" that's always been with you, the part connected to the peace of God, a higher Presence and joy unspeakable. In addition to Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life by Byron Katie, the spiritual truths of Eckhart Tolle have changed my life (and continue to do so when I "remember" who I really am). Time and time again, when I "suffer", I can trace it to my "stinkin' thinkin'". (And just so you don't think I've lived a charmed life absent of difficulties, I've experienced widowhood at age 25, post traumatic stress syndrome, poverty, general anxiety disorder and a son diagnosed with Autism at age 3, among other trying circumstances.)

Do you hate your body? Get this book. Are you plagued with thoughts that you're not "enough"? Get this book. Do you fear that if you lose something precious (money, spouse, youth, vigor, job, etc.) that your life will be "over"? Get this book. Is your attachment to "stuff" and striving to live up to the expectations of others wearing you out? Get this book. Do you want to heal from painful emotions and negative states of being? Get this book.

Do you want to experience peace that passes all understanding? Get this book.

I'll leave you with a quote from A New Earth:

"'And I saw a new heaven and a new earth', writes the biblical prophet. The foundation for a new earth is a new heaven--the awakened consciousness. The earth--external reality--is only its outer reflection. The arising of a new heaven and by implication a new earth are not future events that are going to make us free. Nothing is GOING to make us free because only the present moment can make us free. Thus realization is the awakening...So the new heaven, the awakened consciousness, is not a future state to be achieved...What did Jesus tell his disciples? 'Heaven is right here in the midst of you'."

Janet Boyer, author of Back in Time Tarot (coming Fall 2008 from Hampton Roads Publishing)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.32