5.0 out of 5 stars The map is not the territory
In "A New Earth" Mr. Tolle exhorts us to transcend our ego based state of consciousness - our attachment to old conditioned mind patterns. We can be happy and end the suffering and conflict in the world only by experiencing our essential self, which is prior to thought.

According to Tolle the inner body is the bridge between form (our mental conditioning) and...
Published on Feb. 20 2009 by Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended to me
My friend recommended this to me because he liked it and it helped him through an event in his life. I read it cover to cover to be polite. This probably is a good read for someone who is seeking answers or validation, but I wish I had spent my money on something written by Louise Erdrich
Published 2 months ago by Marcelle Simon

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Now is the Time for Peace--Within and Without, Jan. 31 2008
This review is from: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61) (Paperback)
"Ego is a conglomeration of recurring thought forms and conditioned mental-emotional patterns that are invested with a sense of I, a sense of self. Ego arises when your sense of Beingness, of 'I Am', which is formless consciousness, gets mixed up with form. This is the meaning of identification. This is a forgetfulness of Being, the primary error, the illusion of absolute separateness that turns reality into a nightmare." -- From the book

I have several books, decks and audios by Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now, Through the Open Door to the Vastness of Your True Being, Stillness Speaks Inspiration Deck, Power of Now Inspiration Cards, and others), but A New Earth is by far the most illuminating, accessible and uplifting.

For those unfamiliar with Eckhart Tolle, this man experienced a profound instantaneous inner transformation at age 29. Born in Germany and schooled in England, he integrated and deepened his experience with an intense inward journey. Tolle then began teaching small groups as a spiritual counselor. In 1995, he moved to Canada and is now considered one of the most influential spiritual thinkers of our time, largely in part to his books The Power of Now and A New Earth.

In A New Earth: Awakening Your Life's Purpose, this gentle teacher traces human suffering to one simple, yet insidious, root: the ego. While many authors and philosophers throw around the word "ego", Tolle actually exposes what the ego IS--and why it causes us so much trouble.

While 17th century philospher Rene Descartes may be considered the "father of philosophy", his famous dictum "I think, therefore I am" mechanized humans into "thinking machines" that can reason their way through any problem--and to "ultimate truth". Cartesian philosophy (named for Descartes) has permeated our culture for centuries and can be best summed up with "I think--that is my identity--and therefore, my thinking is my Being". According to Tolle, Descartes discovered the root of EGO, not Beingness.

However, Tolle echoes another philosopher who came a few hundred years Descartes, Jean Paul Sartre saying: (my paraphrase) Wait a minute. If we become AWARE that we are thinking...then what is that part that is observing...that can make that assessment? If thinking equals Being, then we wouldn't realize we're "thinking' in the first place! We'd be like a dreamer "who doesn't know he is dreaming".

Tolle asserts that this awareness outside of thinking is our TRUE Being, the part that is "I Am"--a dimension of consciousness that, unfortunately, is often discovered at the point of tragic loss or hitting a "limit-situation". It's an inexplicable peace that descends, a sacred sense of Presence. Could this be the "peace that passes all understanding" that St. Paul talked about in the New Testament?

The reason it takes a "tragedy" for some to wake up is because a disidentification from form has occurred. In other words, let's say a person experiences a house fire and loses everything--but ends up experiencing a sense of peace...a feeling "It's OK, and it will be OK". Or what about those who experience illness, death of a loved one, disfigurement, or debilitation? When these ones experience an all-pervasive Presence, a "Being prior to all forms, all identifications", an individual, through direct experience (not thought), realizes 'Wait a minute...I am NOT my thoughts...(or possessions)'.

So what does this mean to you, dear reader? Well, if you are not your thoughts--then who ARE you? Why is it that some people become bitter or resentful after tragedy...but others become wise, compassionate and loving? How many unexamined thoughts do you have bouncing through your head--thoughts that have been handed down to you through parents, religion and the media that influence every move you make? What if THOUGHTS, and their resulting emotions, are the source of your suffering?

What if the true "you" is not your body? Not your bank account? Not your title? Not your actions, reputation or accomplishments? Then, who ARE you?

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose will introduce you to the "you" that's always been with you, the part connected to the peace of God, a higher Presence and joy unspeakable. In addition to Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life by Byron Katie, the spiritual truths of Eckhart Tolle have changed my life (and continue to do so when I "remember" who I really am). Time and time again, when I "suffer", I can trace it to my "stinkin' thinkin'". (And just so you don't think I've lived a charmed life absent of difficulties, I've experienced widowhood at age 25, post traumatic stress syndrome, poverty, general anxiety disorder and a son diagnosed with Autism at age 3, among other trying circumstances.)

Do you hate your body? Get this book. Are you plagued with thoughts that you're not "enough"? Get this book. Do you fear that if you lose something precious (money, spouse, youth, vigor, job, etc.) that your life will be "over"? Get this book. Is your attachment to "stuff" and striving to live up to the expectations of others wearing you out? Get this book. Do you want to heal from painful emotions and negative states of being? Get this book.

Do you want to experience peace that passes all understanding? Get this book.

I'll leave you with a quote from A New Earth:

"'And I saw a new heaven and a new earth', writes the biblical prophet. The foundation for a new earth is a new heaven--the awakened consciousness. The earth--external reality--is only its outer reflection. The arising of a new heaven and by implication a new earth are not future events that are going to make us free. Nothing is GOING to make us free because only the present moment can make us free. Thus realization is the awakening...So the new heaven, the awakened consciousness, is not a future state to be achieved...What did Jesus tell his disciples? 'Heaven is right here in the midst of you'."

Janet Boyer, author of Back in Time Tarot (coming Fall 2008 from Hampton Roads Publishing)

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!!, July 23 2014
Even if not inclined to be a compassionate, live-in-the-moment person when you begin to read this book, you will be by the time you reach the end. An avid reader, now in my sixties, I have never read any book whose content is, paragraph by paragraph so intensely potent. Glory Be.........read it.........more than once!!

5.0 out of 5 stars He Does It Again!, July 4 2014
J M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Eckhart does it again! Tolle takes the premises in his earlier works and goes one step further by explaining the 'bigger picture.' Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 4 2014
Soothing. Calm for my soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewarding reading, June 25 2014
A must read!!!! A breakthrough experience. This is the kind of lecture that will leave you with inner peace and a profound feeling of fulfillment.

3.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended to me, June 22 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Will change your life, May 28 2014
This book is a complete and utter mind melter. It has totally changed my way of looking at things and seeing the world. I COMPLETELY recommend it to everyone!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty deep stuff, May 19 2014
It helps immensely if you follow the chapters along with Oprah's Sunday morning TV program. Definitely can't skim through this book but it presents a different perspective on everyday annoyances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning tool, May 18 2014
Everyone should read this book if they want to develops a higher consciousness. A guideline for self development. Well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend for personal growth and awareness, May 8 2014
As Oprah said during a one hour talk with Eckhart Tolle on this book, if you only read one chapter, read Chapter 3 onThe Core of the Ego. It is mind boggling, an eye opener, a way to find your authentic self. It gives you choice for personal growth and awareness.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.32