5.0 out of 5 stars The map is not the territory
In "A New Earth" Mr. Tolle exhorts us to transcend our ego based state of consciousness - our attachment to old conditioned mind patterns. We can be happy and end the suffering and conflict in the world only by experiencing our essential self, which is prior to thought.

According to Tolle the inner body is the bridge between form (our mental conditioning) and...
Published on Feb. 20 2009 by Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended to me
My friend recommended this to me because he liked it and it helped him through an event in his life. I read it cover to cover to be polite. This probably is a good read for someone who is seeking answers or validation, but I wish I had spent my money on something written by Louise Erdrich
Published 13 months ago by Marcelle Simon

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Power of "New!", June 23 2006
When I was 14 years old, I had what is called a "spontaneous mystical experience," which put me in direct contact with the core of my being. I have never forgotten that experience, and what it taught me about who I truly am--that "my identity," as Tolle writes, "is not the content of my mind, but the awareness in the background."

In The Power of Now, Tolle did a good job of explaining that. But in his new book, A New Earth, I believe he does an extraordinary job of explaining the difference between pure consciousness and thought. No other book I have read explains "the ego" in such eloquent detail . . . describing what it is, how it functions, and how it inteferes with our happiness and fulfillment. Thank you, Eckhart, for this truly enlightening read.

Steven Lane Taylor, author of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat: A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow."

5.0 out of 5 stars a book that will change your life, Dec 3 2009
M. Schwehr (Northern Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61) (Paperback)
If you are ready for an awakening, this book is it. I pick this book up and re-read chapters because it is such a powerful collection of "words". Eckhart Tolle has changed the way I see the world and myself. A must read for anyone who feels there is something more powerful than what you can "see"

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely engaging and incredibly powerful for me. I sincerely loved this book., April 21 2014
My som recommended this book to me. He is in his early forties and I am in my early seventies. I feel like this book has helped me to become so much more than I was and there is no need for me to say that out loud to others but rather for me to know internally. This and every moment is so important and I have learned so much about recognizing that reality through this book. I don't think I have ever been so profoundly impacted by anything as I have been by this book. I am looking forward to the days ahead and see challenges and obstacles in a totally different way now. I am truly excited and full of enthusiasm for the days, hours, minutes and seconds ahead that are there for me to enjoy and accept. Thank you to the author and all those who were involved in the writing and publishing of this incredible book. Sincerely, John E

5.0 out of 5 stars Now is the Time for Peace--Within and Without, Jan. 31 2008
"Ego is a conglomeration of recurring thought forms and conditioned mental-emotional patterns that are invested with a sense of I, a sense of self. Ego arises when your sense of Beingness, of 'I Am', which is formless consciousness, gets mixed up with form. This is the meaning of identification. This is a forgetfulness of Being, the primary error, the illusion of absolute separateness that turns reality into a nightmare." -- From the book

I have several books, decks and audios by Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now, Through the Open Door to the Vastness of Your True Being, Stillness Speaks Inspiration Deck, Power of Now Inspiration Cards, and others), but A New Earth is by far the most illuminating, accessible and uplifting.

For those unfamiliar with Eckhart Tolle, this man experienced a profound instantaneous inner transformation at age 29. Born in Germany and schooled in England, he integrated and deepened his experience with an intense inward journey. Tolle then began teaching small groups as a spiritual counselor. In 1995, he moved to Canada and is now considered one of the most influential spiritual thinkers of our time, largely in part to his books The Power of Now and A New Earth.

In A New Earth: Awakening Your Life's Purpose, this gentle teacher traces human suffering to one simple, yet insidious, root: the ego. While many authors and philosophers throw around the word "ego", Tolle actually exposes what the ego IS--and why it causes us so much trouble.

While 17th century philospher Rene Descartes may be considered the "father of philosophy", his famous dictum "I think, therefore I am" mechanized humans into "thinking machines" that can reason their way through any problem--and to "ultimate truth". Cartesian philosophy (named for Descartes) has permeated our culture for centuries and can be best summed up with "I think--that is my identity--and therefore, my thinking is my Being". According to Tolle, Descartes discovered the root of EGO, not Beingness.

However, Tolle echoes another philosopher who came a few hundred years Descartes, Jean Paul Sartre saying: (my paraphrase) Wait a minute. If we become AWARE that we are thinking...then what is that part that is observing...that can make that assessment? If thinking equals Being, then we wouldn't realize we're "thinking' in the first place! We'd be like a dreamer "who doesn't know he is dreaming".

Tolle asserts that this awareness outside of thinking is our TRUE Being, the part that is "I Am"--a dimension of consciousness that, unfortunately, is often discovered at the point of tragic loss or hitting a "limit-situation". It's an inexplicable peace that descends, a sacred sense of Presence. Could this be the "peace that passes all understanding" that St. Paul talked about in the New Testament?

The reason it takes a "tragedy" for some to wake up is because a disidentification from form has occurred. In other words, let's say a person experiences a house fire and loses everything--but ends up experiencing a sense of peace...a feeling "It's OK, and it will be OK". Or what about those who experience illness, death of a loved one, disfigurement, or debilitation? When these ones experience an all-pervasive Presence, a "Being prior to all forms, all identifications", an individual, through direct experience (not thought), realizes 'Wait a minute...I am NOT my thoughts...(or possessions)'.

So what does this mean to you, dear reader? Well, if you are not your thoughts--then who ARE you? Why is it that some people become bitter or resentful after tragedy...but others become wise, compassionate and loving? How many unexamined thoughts do you have bouncing through your head--thoughts that have been handed down to you through parents, religion and the media that influence every move you make? What if THOUGHTS, and their resulting emotions, are the source of your suffering?

What if the true "you" is not your body? Not your bank account? Not your title? Not your actions, reputation or accomplishments? Then, who ARE you?

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose will introduce you to the "you" that's always been with you, the part connected to the peace of God, a higher Presence and joy unspeakable. In addition to Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life by Byron Katie, the spiritual truths of Eckhart Tolle have changed my life (and continue to do so when I "remember" who I really am). Time and time again, when I "suffer", I can trace it to my "stinkin' thinkin'". (And just so you don't think I've lived a charmed life absent of difficulties, I've experienced widowhood at age 25, post traumatic stress syndrome, poverty, general anxiety disorder and a son diagnosed with Autism at age 3, among other trying circumstances.)

Do you hate your body? Get this book. Are you plagued with thoughts that you're not "enough"? Get this book. Do you fear that if you lose something precious (money, spouse, youth, vigor, job, etc.) that your life will be "over"? Get this book. Is your attachment to "stuff" and striving to live up to the expectations of others wearing you out? Get this book. Do you want to heal from painful emotions and negative states of being? Get this book.

Do you want to experience peace that passes all understanding? Get this book.

I'll leave you with a quote from A New Earth:

"'And I saw a new heaven and a new earth', writes the biblical prophet. The foundation for a new earth is a new heaven--the awakened consciousness. The earth--external reality--is only its outer reflection. The arising of a new heaven and by implication a new earth are not future events that are going to make us free. Nothing is GOING to make us free because only the present moment can make us free. Thus realization is the awakening...So the new heaven, the awakened consciousness, is not a future state to be achieved...What did Jesus tell his disciples? 'Heaven is right here in the midst of you'."

Janet Boyer, author of Back in Time Tarot (coming Fall 2008 from Hampton Roads Publishing)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Awakening, May 28 2006
I. Myers - See all my reviews
This is an incredible Book. Mr. Tolle has been given the gift of "Acceptance & Awareness", & inturn he shares the ability to find it in ourselves. Reading & undersatnding this book (in my opinion) is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself. You won't want to put it down.

Ian, NWT, Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Most impactful book of my life, Aug. 31 2014
I first read A New Earth in 2010 (4 years ago) and since then it has easily been the most impactful source of information I have ever received. It has transformed my life and helped me become a more peaceful person. The change has been very slow and gradual so don't except overnight success. You have to work through your inner demons, but rest assured, it is possible.

I have referred to this book every week for the past 4 years and will continue to do so for the rest of my life probably. The book is comprised of many short sections of about 3 pages in length. Each section addresses something quite specific. So it's very easy to go back and find the section you need to help you deal with whatever challenge you are facing in the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's Path to Enlightenment, Feb. 6 2010
Mary Wozny "Author, Speaker, Health & Wellnes... (Collingwood, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have to be very honest here. I like this book because it is a very simple read and may communicate more easily with the general public but personally I find it very basic. I suspect its popularity came about due to the media coverage and the Oprah Winfrey show. I believe that if one is looking for a profoundly informative and in depth understanding of how to achieve consciousness and awareness, the book The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is the better book to read. It is deep and requires great thought from the individual, but change and growth come from going deep within oneself and listening, recognizing ones default settings as they say and changing old belief systems.

Mary Wozny

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book for those that want to delve deep into ..., Sept. 4 2014
This is a great book for those that want to delve deep into what is behind human behavior including their own. If you are ready for it you will absolutely love the book. If you aren't, you may not like it but just put it aside and get back to it a year or few years later and you may be ready then. Enjoying the book may be helped by having an open mind and using attentive observation of everything including your own mind. If you are immersed in your own opinions and beliefs and aren't willing to have a look at them closely, if you aren't willing to question everything then you may not want to read this book. But if you aren't afraid of testing and looking at everything afresh I'd say go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this!, Feb. 19 2013
Barbara F "Baba" (Victoria, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
I would recommend that everyone in all walks of life and every spiritual path read this book of Eckhart Tolle. There was never a time in the history of the world that his suggestions on how to make it a better place could be more appropriate! Look at what we are doing to our world, both physically (oil sands, greed and money) and spiritually (regardless of philosophy or religion) and the need to find the way out of it must be addressed. Eckhart Tolle explains how each one of us can do our part to bring about change in a completely non-judgemental way. My copy has notations on nearly every page! and I will be referring back to it many times!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly enlightening, March 22 2012
I can not say enough about this book. It may have saved my life. I read this book first when my father passed away but couldn't get through it. Then a few years ago I was diagnosed with cancer and for some reason picked it up again and this time I couldn't put it down. It's true, when you are ready this book will bring extraordinary meaning into your life. I highly recommend that everyone read this amazing book. I always have it with me and when life gets too complicated I know this book will bring me back to what is truly important. For me this book showed me my soul and how to connect with it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.78