5.0 out of 5 stars A very clear articulation of the awakening process
I've read Tolle's The Power of Now and I found A New Earth a delightful companion. If you're reading just 'another spiritual book' than it will be just 'another spiritual book' that you can argue(!) over. Is it better than his first? Does he repeat himself? Is Tolle saying anything new? Etc. Etc. But there's so much listening between the words... it's a wonderful...
Published on Dec 15 2008 by Luke Vorstermans

3.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended to me
My friend recommended this to me because he liked it and it helped him through an event in his life. I read it cover to cover to be polite. This probably is a good read for someone who is seeking answers or validation, but I wish I had spent my money on something written by Louise Erdrich
Published 6 months ago by Marcelle Simon

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Now is the Time for Peace--Within and Without, Jan. 31 2008
This review is from: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61) (Paperback)
"Ego is a conglomeration of recurring thought forms and conditioned mental-emotional patterns that are invested with a sense of I, a sense of self. Ego arises when your sense of Beingness, of 'I Am', which is formless consciousness, gets mixed up with form. This is the meaning of identification. This is a forgetfulness of Being, the primary error, the illusion of absolute separateness that turns reality into a nightmare." -- From the book

I have several books, decks and audios by Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now, Through the Open Door to the Vastness of Your True Being, Stillness Speaks Inspiration Deck, Power of Now Inspiration Cards, and others), but A New Earth is by far the most illuminating, accessible and uplifting.

For those unfamiliar with Eckhart Tolle, this man experienced a profound instantaneous inner transformation at age 29. Born in Germany and schooled in England, he integrated and deepened his experience with an intense inward journey. Tolle then began teaching small groups as a spiritual counselor. In 1995, he moved to Canada and is now considered one of the most influential spiritual thinkers of our time, largely in part to his books The Power of Now and A New Earth.

In A New Earth: Awakening Your Life's Purpose, this gentle teacher traces human suffering to one simple, yet insidious, root: the ego. While many authors and philosophers throw around the word "ego", Tolle actually exposes what the ego IS--and why it causes us so much trouble.

While 17th century philospher Rene Descartes may be considered the "father of philosophy", his famous dictum "I think, therefore I am" mechanized humans into "thinking machines" that can reason their way through any problem--and to "ultimate truth". Cartesian philosophy (named for Descartes) has permeated our culture for centuries and can be best summed up with "I think--that is my identity--and therefore, my thinking is my Being". According to Tolle, Descartes discovered the root of EGO, not Beingness.

However, Tolle echoes another philosopher who came a few hundred years Descartes, Jean Paul Sartre saying: (my paraphrase) Wait a minute. If we become AWARE that we are thinking...then what is that part that is observing...that can make that assessment? If thinking equals Being, then we wouldn't realize we're "thinking' in the first place! We'd be like a dreamer "who doesn't know he is dreaming".

Tolle asserts that this awareness outside of thinking is our TRUE Being, the part that is "I Am"--a dimension of consciousness that, unfortunately, is often discovered at the point of tragic loss or hitting a "limit-situation". It's an inexplicable peace that descends, a sacred sense of Presence. Could this be the "peace that passes all understanding" that St. Paul talked about in the New Testament?

The reason it takes a "tragedy" for some to wake up is because a disidentification from form has occurred. In other words, let's say a person experiences a house fire and loses everything--but ends up experiencing a sense of peace...a feeling "It's OK, and it will be OK". Or what about those who experience illness, death of a loved one, disfigurement, or debilitation? When these ones experience an all-pervasive Presence, a "Being prior to all forms, all identifications", an individual, through direct experience (not thought), realizes 'Wait a minute...I am NOT my thoughts...(or possessions)'.

So what does this mean to you, dear reader? Well, if you are not your thoughts--then who ARE you? Why is it that some people become bitter or resentful after tragedy...but others become wise, compassionate and loving? How many unexamined thoughts do you have bouncing through your head--thoughts that have been handed down to you through parents, religion and the media that influence every move you make? What if THOUGHTS, and their resulting emotions, are the source of your suffering?

What if the true "you" is not your body? Not your bank account? Not your title? Not your actions, reputation or accomplishments? Then, who ARE you?

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose will introduce you to the "you" that's always been with you, the part connected to the peace of God, a higher Presence and joy unspeakable. In addition to Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life by Byron Katie, the spiritual truths of Eckhart Tolle have changed my life (and continue to do so when I "remember" who I really am). Time and time again, when I "suffer", I can trace it to my "stinkin' thinkin'". (And just so you don't think I've lived a charmed life absent of difficulties, I've experienced widowhood at age 25, post traumatic stress syndrome, poverty, general anxiety disorder and a son diagnosed with Autism at age 3, among other trying circumstances.)

Do you hate your body? Get this book. Are you plagued with thoughts that you're not "enough"? Get this book. Do you fear that if you lose something precious (money, spouse, youth, vigor, job, etc.) that your life will be "over"? Get this book. Is your attachment to "stuff" and striving to live up to the expectations of others wearing you out? Get this book. Do you want to heal from painful emotions and negative states of being? Get this book.

Do you want to experience peace that passes all understanding? Get this book.

I'll leave you with a quote from A New Earth:

"'And I saw a new heaven and a new earth', writes the biblical prophet. The foundation for a new earth is a new heaven--the awakened consciousness. The earth--external reality--is only its outer reflection. The arising of a new heaven and by implication a new earth are not future events that are going to make us free. Nothing is GOING to make us free because only the present moment can make us free. Thus realization is the awakening...So the new heaven, the awakened consciousness, is not a future state to be achieved...What did Jesus tell his disciples? 'Heaven is right here in the midst of you'."

Janet Boyer, author of Back in Time Tarot (coming Fall 2008 from Hampton Roads Publishing)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Awakening, May 28 2006
I. Myers - See all my reviews
This is an incredible Book. Mr. Tolle has been given the gift of "Acceptance & Awareness", & inturn he shares the ability to find it in ourselves. Reading & undersatnding this book (in my opinion) is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself. You won't want to put it down.

Ian, NWT, Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Most impactful book of my life, Aug. 31 2014
I first read A New Earth in 2010 (4 years ago) and since then it has easily been the most impactful source of information I have ever received. It has transformed my life and helped me become a more peaceful person. The change has been very slow and gradual so don't except overnight success. You have to work through your inner demons, but rest assured, it is possible.

I have referred to this book every week for the past 4 years and will continue to do so for the rest of my life probably. The book is comprised of many short sections of about 3 pages in length. Each section addresses something quite specific. So it's very easy to go back and find the section you need to help you deal with whatever challenge you are facing in the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's Path to Enlightenment, Feb. 6 2010
Mary Wozny "Author, Speaker, Health & Wellnes... (Collingwood, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have to be very honest here. I like this book because it is a very simple read and may communicate more easily with the general public but personally I find it very basic. I suspect its popularity came about due to the media coverage and the Oprah Winfrey show. I believe that if one is looking for a profoundly informative and in depth understanding of how to achieve consciousness and awareness, the book The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is the better book to read. It is deep and requires great thought from the individual, but change and growth come from going deep within oneself and listening, recognizing ones default settings as they say and changing old belief systems.

Mary Wozny

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book for those that want to delve deep into ..., Sept. 4 2014
This is a great book for those that want to delve deep into what is behind human behavior including their own. If you are ready for it you will absolutely love the book. If you aren't, you may not like it but just put it aside and get back to it a year or few years later and you may be ready then. Enjoying the book may be helped by having an open mind and using attentive observation of everything including your own mind. If you are immersed in your own opinions and beliefs and aren't willing to have a look at them closely, if you aren't willing to question everything then you may not want to read this book. But if you aren't afraid of testing and looking at everything afresh I'd say go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, Oct. 20 2014
One of the best books I have ever read. In this world of violence and anger this book helps in understanding why. Not a book to read cover to cover in one sitting but one that you read in part many times and each time you do a peace comes over you. While this is in know way a religious study it is "spiritual" one. It provides the essence that almost all other "religious" tomes fail to do, it helps in healing the internal anger and rage that is the source of so much pain in our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!!, July 23 2014
Even if not inclined to be a compassionate, live-in-the-moment person when you begin to read this book, you will be by the time you reach the end. An avid reader, now in my sixties, I have never read any book whose content is, paragraph by paragraph so intensely potent. Glory Be.........read it.........more than once!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smell the Flowers, Oct. 23 2009
Vanessa Lue Shue (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
New Earth is an excellent book. It goes to the core of your Being. We live in a busy time and have forgotten how to stop a smell the flowers - Eckhart reminds us that. If we all do that, this world would be a better place. Vanessa.

5.0 out of 5 stars He Does It Again!, July 4 2014
J M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Eckhart does it again! Tolle takes the premises in his earlier works and goes one step further by explaining the 'bigger picture.' Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 4 2014
Soothing. Calm for my soul.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 11.55