4.0 out of 5 stars Serious, dark, coming of age novel with a magical twist
Published on Nov. 1 2009 by Karoline

Published on Oct. 7 2012 by KyleL

4.0 out of 5 stars Serious, dark, coming of age novel with a magical twist, Nov. 1 2009
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Magicians: A Novel (Hardcover)
It pays homage to the Harry Potter and Narnia novels, and it has similarities but that's where it stops. It's a coming of age novel which features Quentin and his friends he meets at Brakebills. It's definitely a more serious novel and delves deeper into emotions and it's more dark and definitely not a kid's book! there's action and drama, romance too, but there's some twists and turns that make the book more darker and includes more "dangerous" themes which makes the book catered towards adults.

I liked the book. It certainly did grab my curiosity when I first heard about it and as I read further into it, I had to try and not put Harry Potter and Narnia comparisons, or it'll ruin my enjoyment of this book - which I'm glad I managed to fight off. I thought it was pretty well executed and very well thought out especially with trying to juggle the Fillory part into this story and having to put it as once a fictional world that Quentin had been reading since he was a boy into a full fledged real-life fantasy world and also adding a fantasy epic plot into it as well, while also juggling the plot happening on real Earth. However, it went smooth and it did not leave me, as a reader, confused. There's even a helpful map on the inside of the book which is an added bonus. The plot was great, as it followed Quentin from his beginning years in the college, to his graduation, to his real life entrance into the world, and to his adventures in Fillory and afterwards. It's a great chronological way of running the story.

I have to admit, this is one of the few books I liked, but where I also had an intense dislike for the main character. I actually did not like Quentin at all. He's such a whiner! and he's made out to be such an "emo" I had to roll his eyes while he whined about how unhappy he was, and it was as if NOTHING could absolutely make him content not even for a full fledged chapter. Even as I finished the book, I still found that I did not like him. He just wasn't that great, he was the main character, yes, and you saw the story through his eyes but he wasn't really what you might think as a main character would be (not your stereotypical character in fantasy novels I suppose). I found myself drawn to Eliot more, only because of his charm and although at first I wasn't that impressed with Alice, she earned a lot of respect from me towards the end of the novel. She certainly was a realist and was the main anchor and stability to the group of friends. Character development was great. They were all well rounded and developed as they grew older (except Quentin, who eventually matures much much later in the book).

So the only thing I disliked about the novel was Quentin and his whiny personality. Even the part with his rocky romance with Alice aggravated me. He is definitely not boyfriend material to me. (More like sledgehammer bashing material). As to the ending, I am now curious and intrigued. Is there going to be a sequel, because if there is, count me in. I'm definitely going to read it! there were some questions I found myself asking. Especially when I reached the ending.

Overall, it's a great book when you're in the mood for something serious, but something with fantasy as well. Be forewarned, it's not a happy go lucky epic quest, it's quite dark and serious. Nevertheless it was a great dramatic coming of age read that will leave you asking for more.

2.0 out of 5 stars A different perspective on fantasy with a few shining moments, Oct. 7 2012
This review is from: The Magicians (Paperback)
The Magicians ultimately left me disappointed at the concepts the author chose to focus on and what was set aside. What first feels like a mix of Harry Potter and the Narnia Chronicles, with a sampling of alien horror, chooses to focus on the faults of the characters and their vices over a heroic story. Their progression of magical study and journey is demoted for infidelity and clichéd school yard politics. The protagonist is set up as incredibly gifted and intelligent and then seemingly loses those qualities for the rest of the book. The setting does not seem to wander far from its sources, and when it does it feels perverted instead of tributary. There are some good concepts, good characters and even some moments in this book which made my disappointment bittersweet.

2.0 out of 5 stars A perfect antidote to Harry Potter, May 9 2015
If the Harry Potter books were about innocence, magic and wonder, The Magicians is about self absorption, indulgence and misery. There is no magic in The Magicians. There is no wonder. Everyone is suspicious of everyone else. It's as if the author was projecting a deeply felt bitterness about the futility of magic in his own life. And to top it off, the prose is clumsy, and the plotting is entirely without suspense. A masterpiece of succumbing to every possible betrayal of what brings magic into life. Curious, this. And curious that some people like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read but not yearning for the sequel, July 13 2011
C. Jones "reggiesgirl2" (NB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magicians (Paperback)
Overall, I have to say that I mostly enjoyed the story. I thought it was well told and the character development was very well done. The biggest problem I had was Quentin, the main character. I tried and tried to like him but just couldn't. He's one of those people who always want or need something more to be happy but once they get it, they need something else. Nothing is ever enough to make them happy. I'd say more about certain aspects of his character that I found revolting but that would give away some of the story so I won't.

There's a sequel coming out in September 2011. I will most likely not bother getting it or reading it. This book is a complete story without a sequel and, honestly, I didn't care enough about the characters to want to read more. That's why I gave it a three. To get a four, it would have to be good enough to make me "need" the sequel.

I'll still recommend it for people who like this type of book (Harry Potter, Narnia, etc) but with reservations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Surprises - it was Awesome!, Oct. 7 2010
This review is from: The Magicians (Paperback)
I have maybe 30 pages left to read but wow, so different and full of imagination. This book is very close to the stories from Harry Potter and Narnia but with a twist and if it was a movie it would probably be rated 14A. There is a bit of swearing but it's perfectly timed. Humour is amazing - even when i read this on the bus i dont mind smiling because it's so funny. And the best part, it's full of suprises. Just when you think you know what is going to happy, the book catches you fully off guard. I can't believe how things are turning out to be in the end of this novel. This is a grown-up Harry Potter and Narnia all in one. I believe the second part is coming out Summer 2011 - I can't wait!

If you're looking for magic, action, humour, surprises - then get this and read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Jan. 18 2015
Loved it! This book appears to be about magic but is really about human nature and what it means to be a grown up in a complicated world. Would highly recommend it. I just finished reading the third book in the series and all are engrossing

2.0 out of 5 stars not magically written, Nov. 22 2014
This review is from: The Magicians (Paperback)
I don't consider myself a literary snob, but I didn't feel like this book was very well written. The concept was fun and the last 60 pages or so we're exciting, but the character development wasn't very good and the story felt rushed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story - mediocre characters., Sept. 19 2014
It's a good story - a bit of a dark Harry Potter - but the development of the characters leaves something to be desired. I did buy the second book , and will probably get the third, but only to see how it all resolves itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a trilogy, July 4 2012
This review is from: The Magicians (Paperback)
There is so much information in the first half of the book, you might feel rushed. If you can stick with it through the first half- I think its going to be a great trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Badass harry potter, Dec 7 2013
This review is from: The Magicians (Paperback)
Badass harry potter! Magician school, fighting evil, adventures ... but also sex and sarcasm. Can't wait to read the other books in the series.

The Magicians
The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Paperback - May 25 2010)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00