biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on December 4, 2015
Meh.

I probably put too much faith in another person's review that this was like Harry Potter for adults. A more accurate description would be that this book is a depressing, dark, sexual, fairly pointless story, told by a depressed guy, that is about self-discovery, adventure-seeking, and meh, that's about it.

I guess it starts with kids going to a magic college, but it's nowhere near as majestic as Hogwarts. I imagined a regular high school, but with magic courses... but there was nothing fancy or exciting about it. The first half of the book goes through years of school, where I care about none of the characters nor the story. I was quite bored. It was more about the characters and their depressed lives trying to find something exciting. I didn't like any of them. Actually, I kinda liked Alice.

Then the 2nd half of the book is more like a depressed version of an evil dark Narnia. It was better than the first half though.

I would only read the next one because I already have it, and because I am slightly curious as to what will happen. I was more relieved it was over.

This is written by a guy, with a guy protagonist, and I would say even more catered to guys. Most of the jokes and internal dialogue comes from a guy's perspective. I thought there were some pretty realistic perspectives where I would have said the same thing as Quentin.
on November 20, 2015
Great purchase, shipping took a while
on September 13, 2015
Loved this book!
on August 5, 2015
This book had been recommended for anyone who enjoyed the Harry Potter books. Having read all of them with my children, I'd looked forward to reading it. Having said that, we found it very derivative and it failed to grab our attention. I'd ordered all three in the series at the same time but have yet to even start the second.
on July 2, 2015
Holy angst, Batman. Let's see... you have unlimited magical power, unlimited wealth... and you choose to dress up like the lead singer from the Cure and flounce around all day mumbling "I am so sad, kill me...". The writing is fine, the premise is clever enough... but the characters... if I lived in a world like this, I would be deliberately evil just to snuff out these whining, ungrateful little sods. I understand there are more in this series, and that the later ones are better. We shall see.
on June 28, 2015
Very interesting concept to create a "grown up" Harry Potter" in a magic college type environment mixed with a "Narnia" type land...only with much more malevolance and violence.
I truly enjoyed this book and the whole trilogy... I really did. ...but...i must admit all 3 books ended with less than a "Bang".
Great story; great plot...just a little bit less of a great ending in them, which is the reason i didn't give this book and trilogy 5 stars.
on May 9, 2015
If the Harry Potter books were about innocence, magic and wonder, The Magicians is about self absorption, indulgence and misery. There is no magic in The Magicians. There is no wonder. Everyone is suspicious of everyone else. It's as if the author was projecting a deeply felt bitterness about the futility of magic in his own life. And to top it off, the prose is clumsy, and the plotting is entirely without suspense. A masterpiece of succumbing to every possible betrayal of what brings magic into life. Curious, this. And curious that some people like it.
on January 28, 2015
People are pretty generous with stars around here. This book was ok. If you gave it five stars, try The Name of The Wind.
on January 18, 2015
Loved it! This book appears to be about magic but is really about human nature and what it means to be a grown up in a complicated world. Would highly recommend it. I just finished reading the third book in the series and all are engrossing
on November 22, 2014
I don't consider myself a literary snob, but I didn't feel like this book was very well written. The concept was fun and the last 60 pages or so we're exciting, but the character development wasn't very good and the story felt rushed.