march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 16, 2016
it was alright, let like an adult retelling of the chronicles of narnia at times which bugged me.
on March 10, 2016
Loved it
on March 9, 2016
I read this book as a prelude to the TV series. It is extremely well written. My vocabulary has expanded as a result of this book. He does create a "magical" world similar to what was done in Harry Potter but this one is for adults. I loved how the story began but you have to be a real lover of fantasy I think to read the second book. For me it started to feel weird and I admit I liked the first Harry Potter best and the others not so much so for me its a repeat. I think others will like it.
on February 20, 2016
i was disappointed, I bought this book because i heard good things about it but it was pretty bad, the writing style is... not the best, and quentin is sooo depressing, actually the whole book is pretty depressing.

i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
on December 4, 2015
Meh.

I probably put too much faith in another person's review that this was like Harry Potter for adults. A more accurate description would be that this book is a depressing, dark, sexual, fairly pointless story, told by a depressed guy, that is about self-discovery, adventure-seeking, and meh, that's about it.

I guess it starts with kids going to a magic college, but it's nowhere near as majestic as Hogwarts. I imagined a regular high school, but with magic courses... but there was nothing fancy or exciting about it. The first half of the book goes through years of school, where I care about none of the characters nor the story. I was quite bored. It was more about the characters and their depressed lives trying to find something exciting. I didn't like any of them. Actually, I kinda liked Alice.

Then the 2nd half of the book is more like a depressed version of an evil dark Narnia. It was better than the first half though.

I would only read the next one because I already have it, and because I am slightly curious as to what will happen. I was more relieved it was over.

This is written by a guy, with a guy protagonist, and I would say even more catered to guys. Most of the jokes and internal dialogue comes from a guy's perspective. I thought there were some pretty realistic perspectives where I would have said the same thing as Quentin.
on November 20, 2015
Great purchase, shipping took a while
on September 13, 2015
Loved this book!
on August 5, 2015
This book had been recommended for anyone who enjoyed the Harry Potter books. Having read all of them with my children, I'd looked forward to reading it. Having said that, we found it very derivative and it failed to grab our attention. I'd ordered all three in the series at the same time but have yet to even start the second.
on July 2, 2015
Holy angst, Batman. Let's see... you have unlimited magical power, unlimited wealth... and you choose to dress up like the lead singer from the Cure and flounce around all day mumbling "I am so sad, kill me...". The writing is fine, the premise is clever enough... but the characters... if I lived in a world like this, I would be deliberately evil just to snuff out these whining, ungrateful little sods. I understand there are more in this series, and that the later ones are better. We shall see.
on June 28, 2015
Very interesting concept to create a "grown up" Harry Potter" in a magic college type environment mixed with a "Narnia" type land...only with much more malevolance and violence.
I truly enjoyed this book and the whole trilogy... I really did. ...but...i must admit all 3 books ended with less than a "Bang".
Great story; great plot...just a little bit less of a great ending in them, which is the reason i didn't give this book and trilogy 5 stars.